• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 Review Thread

Hmmm, some of the feedback is starting to convince me to just stick with GT5 and wait for the true next gen GT.

Read the eurogamer and gamesradar reviews. Both writers are seasoned racing game writers, and for the gamesradar review the author originally wrote the GT5 review years ago he criticized large aspects of the game and expressed his huge disappointment. I disagreed but still, for him to come back and write such a positive review of 6 says a lot.

oxidax

I think im gonna pass on GT6 for now. Those jaggies and alising issues are really bugging me out. I just played this game at my friends house and overall the driving experience was fine. I used a Fanatec CSR wheel and i liked it a lot but the sound is horrible! I understand that some of you might be ok with how it sounds, but i am a Forza guy and what i need right now is a game thats gonna buy me away from Turn 10. GT6 was an ok experience for me tho. Im definitely gonna get it down the line but i wish Poly could do something about that stuff.

Man, I remember when GT3 was the single most impressive looking racing game I ever saw when I got my PS2, even though I still couldn't get into the game. Took to Sega GT instead a year later for some reason.

... And I guess that car and all the posts about it answers why I wasn't as blown away with GT5 as I had hoped, besides the fact GT3 probably did make the single biggest leap for photorealism there was to make for vehicles.
Before I got a PS2 for Christmas, I never even heard of the PlayStation brand and didn't really notice how blocky the visuals of N64 games were (part of the reason why I don't make a big deal in regards to graphics unless there is a very good reason to do so). When I first got my hands on GT3, I was completely blown away by how well the game looked. I couldn't imagine that such impressive visuals was even remotely possible in a game. It was then when I realized that I had entered a new generation of games.
Why don't PD just rid the standard cars?
Not unless I get to keep my Nissan RCP92.

Endo Punk

GT3 was such a fucking magical experience for me in 2001 it's disgusting how Polyphony can't match up to that level of consistent quality. They have their pride and priorities all messed up, screw putting more content they need to get other areas up to snuff. People will eat it up so I can't see Polyphony learning anytime soon.

Why don't PD just rid the standard cars?

Because people race them, when you go online half of the people in any giving room is in a standard car. At the end of the day you will get past how they look and start to enjoy them, my favorite cars in the game are all standard and i know most in the GT community have standard cars as their favorite.

Because people race them, when you go online half of the people in any giving room is in a standard car. At the end of the day you will get past how they look and start to enjoy them, my favorite cars in the game are all standard and i know most in the GT community have standard cars as their favorite.

Yep, my brother played around 30 hours with his IRL car in GT, which is pretty magical when you consider the emotional connection, and it was a standard car. My favorite is the Mazda Furai, another standard car.

p3tran

Banned
Regarding the sounds in the game.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-09-17-gran-turismo-6s-audio-likely-to-be-patched-post-release
"I think I mentioned this in the past, but we're really working to change the fundamental way that the engine sound works," Yamauchi said in a press event at Polyphony's offices in Tokyo. "Right now I have a feeling that it might not make it for day one for GT6."

There's still hope that improved audio will be patched in at a later date. "There's a good possibility that we might do this," Yamauchi said when pressed on whether it'll be part of the post-release support, and Gran Turismo at least has good form in this regard - Gran Turismo 5 benefited from a series of updates that resulted in a much improved version 2.0.
dear polyphony,

since the entire ps3 era was not enough to create a new sound engine,
please move your effort on ps4 that we now have.

thanks
bye bye

dear polyphony,

thanks
bye bye

Any advancement done now will most likely make it into the PS4 version. It is not like they are going to start from scratch.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

Yep ever since the first game I still go to the same car family the Savanna RX-7 series.

How portable is this engine? Aren't the PS3 and PS4 radically different architectures?

The assets are the one that can be brought over. Example the standard vehicles are reworked assets from as far back as GT4 on the PS2.

Even though the may have to create a new engine, solving a problem opens up new methods of thinking and they can either eliminate what didn't work before or apply knowledge gained and assets made to the next iteration.

Is the game supposed to take a long time on the WARNING: Seizures screen?

The loading icon is moving but it's been going for little bit now

edit: I had to quit back to the XMB

The assets are the one that can be brought over. Example the standard vehicles are reworked assets from as far back as GT4 on the PS2.

Even though the may have to create a new engine, solving a problem opens up new methods of thinking and they can either eliminate what didn't work before or apply knowledge gained and assets made to the next iteration.

There's no possible way they're creating a new engine, especially if they're planning on releasing GT7 in 2014/15. They've been planning ahead for a long time, I doubt the engine is any different than everything else.

gryz

Banned
GT3 was such a fucking magical experience for me in 2001 it's disgusting how Polyphony can't match up to that level of consistent quality. They have their pride and priorities all messed up, screw putting more content they need to get other areas up to snuff. People will eat it up so I can't see Polyphony learning anytime soon.

truly DISGUSTING

There's no possible way they're creating a new engine, especially if they're planning on releasing GT7 in 2014/15. They've been planning ahead for a long time, I doubt the engine is any different than everything else.

They have to for the most part because the PS3 and the PS4 are entirely different hardware. How much they will have to change is the question.

And where do you get that information about GT7? I haven't seen any official commentary about it. Have a source?

-After the intro race, he played events for 4 hours to buy a Honda Jazz. He found that slow and boring. Also, he didn't like that car, he found it handled like a slow miniature van, so racing with it was unexciting

After downloading the game and starting it up, it holds your hand for the first bit. After the intro race, they give you 30,000 credits and ask you to buy a honda fit. I did so (I also grabbed the Vision GT mercedes benz) the fit cost around 17k. The Honda Jazz is 12,600k.

1. Why on earth would you want your next car to be a jazz?
2. You have enough money to purchase a Jazz right of the bat.
3. The first 3 novice races are about 2 to 2.30 mins and net you 4K each for gold. So it would take between 8 and 10 mins to get enough to purchase a Jazz if you were tapped out.

What on earth was that reviewer doing for 4 hours? It certainly wasn't playing Gran Turismo 6.

And where do you get that information about GT7? I haven't seen any official commentary about it. Have a source?
here.

"We don't want to take too long on Gran Turismo 7," Kazunori told Top Gear. "Best-case scenario? Next year. In GT6 we really had to tune the software 100 percent to maximize the PS3's architecture, but of course the PS4's hardware is much better, so I think the overall quality of the game across the board will be boosted when you come to play it."

In September, Yamauchi said Gran Turismo 7 for PS4 would be ready in about a "year or two" and will feature a significant community component, though this was not specified. If Gran Turismo 7 is released in 2014, it will arrive alongside DriveClub, another first-party racing game.

I think im gonna pass on GT6 for now. Those jaggies and alising issues are really bugging me out. I just played this game at my friends house and overall the driving experience was fine. I used a Fanatec CSR wheel and i liked it a lot but the sound is horrible! I understand that some of you might be ok with how it sounds, but i am a Forza guy and what i need right now is a game thats gonna buy me away from Turn 10. GT6 was an ok experience for me tho. Im definitely gonna get it down the line but i wish Poly could do something about that stuff.

The graphics don't bother me so much. Assuming GT6 didn't take a step back from that academy demo, it's still quite good in most cases. However, after playing forza, shift, and F1, the poor sound and AI really stand out in the GT franchise. I was hoping GT6 drastically improved these areas, but it is not looking like they did. I'll reserve judgement until I play it, but I'm not running out to pay $60 to do so based off reviews and impressions.

nmanma

After downloading the game and starting it up, it holds your hand for the first bit. After the intro race, they give you 30,000 credits and ask you to buy a honda fit. I did so (I also grabbed the Vision GT mercedes benz) the fit cost around 17k. The Honda Jazz is 12,600k.

1. Why on earth would you want your next car to be a jazz?
2. You have enough money to purchase a Jazz right of the bat.
3. The first 3 novice races are about 2 to 2.30 mins and net you 4K each for gold. So it would take between 8 and 10 mins to get enough to purchase a Jazz if you were tapped out.

What on earth was that reviewer doing for 4 hours? It certainly wasn't playing Gran Turismo 6.

Argh, because of your post I checked the review again and realized I made a mistake.

The review says:
Aunque los minutos iniciales son distintos frente a las últimas cinco entregas, en realidad sólo pasan 120 segundos hasta que tengo que escoger entre un Volkswagen Polo, un Ford Fiesta, un Honda Jazz o un Suzuki Swift. Me pido el Honda. Monta un motor 1.1 que produce hasta 87 caballos de potencia. Qué emoción. Las siguientes cuatro horas son como suele pasar un proceso increíblemente cansino y aburrido en el que me torturo a través de eventos enormemente lentos para ganar dinero y poder apañar mi Honda Jazz.

Which means:
Even though the first minutes are different from the last five games, actually it takes only 120 seconds until I have to choose between a Volkswagen Polo, a Ford Fiesta, a Honda Jazz or a Suzuki Swift. I choose the Honda. [some car lingo about the Honda]. How exciting. The next four hours are as usual an incredibly slow and boring process in which I torture myself through terribly slow events in order to make money and be able to improve my Honda Jazz

"Apañar" isn't a common word where I live (Latin American Spanish is different than the one they use in Spain, kinda like English in US vs England), but given the context and the ways I've seen it used here I understood it as "get". Googling around Spanish sites found out that over there it can used as improving something (not sure if aesthetically, functionally, both or either), which makes more sense in this context. And because of that mistake I assumed that the first Honda he talked about was different from the Honda he saved up for, which was also wrong

Terribly sorry, will update my previous post

To answer your question, from what he said he spent 4 hours earning money to buy things for his car

On a semirelated note, today I learned that in some Latin American countries "apañar" can mean to have sex, which was terribly confusing when I tried to figure out what the reviewer meant

Argh, because of your post I checked the review again and realized I made a mistake.

The review says:

Which means:

"Apañar" isn't a common word where I live (Latin American Spanish is different than the one they use in Spain, kinda like English in US vs England), but given the context and the ways I've seen it used here I understood it as "get". Googling around Spanish sites found out that over there it can used as improving something (not sure if aesthetically, functionally, both or either), which makes more sense in this context. And because of that mistake I assumed that the first Honda he talked about was different from the Honda he saved up for, which was also wrong

Terribly sorry, will update my previous post

To answer your question, from what he said he spent 4 hours earning money to buy things for his car

On a semirelated note, today I learned that in some Latin American countries "apañar" can mean to have sex, which was terribly confusing when I tried to figure out what the reviewer meant

Ahh ok! Thank you very much for that clarification.

Even as such I wonder if his copy was different cause the game didn't give me a choice about the initial car purchase. Minor differences between the regions?

That must have brought up some disturbing mental images. lol.

Gestault

The Destructoid review by Dale North does a great job of spelling out the satisfying and outstanding parts of GT6. Super positive, and I think appropriately so for the people who actually want to play it. That being said, he also straddles the line with some half-truths.

This time around, all of the cars sport the same visual quality for their exteriors, so there's no longer a premium/standard division.

We unfortunately know this isn't the case. Even the Gametrailers pre-review from earlier spelled out exactly how this isn't the case.

Dead Man

The Destructoid review by Dale North does a great job of spelling out the satisfying and outstanding parts of GT6. Super positive, and I think appropriately so for the people who actually want to play it. That being said, he also straddles the line with some half-truths.

We unfortunately know this isn't the case. Even the Gametrailers pre-review from earlier spelled out exactly how this isn't the case.

If you already want to play it, why do you need a super positive not 100% accurate review?

Emwitus

dear polyphony,

thanks
bye bye
Maybe you should write that letter to turn10 too. Heck there in the second gen with no day/night

onken

Yeah the custom soundtracks are a bit kooky, some races ignore it completely and use the default tracks it seems.

I do like the way it has actual, full controller customization. My finger gets tired holding R2 all the time so I like to put accelerate on the right stick and brake on L2. Then shift up/down on R1/R2.

once again these reviews are full of hyperbole and metaphor.

"attacking apexes with confidence and devouring sectors with steely precision".

seriously.

and every review always talks more about damage than actual gameplay. these reviewers would be in for a rude awakening when pd decides to simulate damage the real way and these reviewers won't even be able to finish a single race even with assists on.

Dead Man

Yeah the custom soundtracks are a bit kooky, some races ignore it completely and use the default tracks it seems.

I do like the way it has actual, full controller customization. My finger gets tired holding R2 all the time so I like to put accelerate on the right stick and brake on L2. Then shift up/down on R1/R2.

One of the best features a game can have, absolute shame so many don't have it.

I can't believe that we're so many entries deep into Gran Turismo without a proper overhaul to the sound design. It's up there with Call of Duty's pop-guns as the most baffling oversight in a game dedicated to doing one thing and one thing only.

The Stealth Fox

GT6's cosmetic damage is improved. They made it more sensitive. None of the reviewers noted the change from GT5. Every race I've driven in where I've bumped to cars, I've had significant deformation and paint scratches. GT6's fulfills the slogan "racing is rubbing" more than GT5.

GT6's next step is to implement its mechanical damage model into its career mode. And after that, address the sounds.

It will be very interesting to see what GT6 is like in 1 year. If they do implement mechanical damage in career mode (have it as an option) and then improve the sounds... then it's game over.

Dead Man

GT6's cosmetic damage is improved. They made it more sensitive. None of the reviewers noted the change from GT5. Every race I've driven in where I've bumped to cars, I've had significant deformation and paint scratches. GT6's fulfills the slogan "racing is rubbing" more than GT5.

GT6's next step is to implement its mechanical damage model into its career mode. And after that, address the sounds.

It will be very interesting to see what GT6 is like in 1 year. If they do implement mechanical damage in career mode (have it as an option) and then improve the sounds... then it's game over.

Sounds like the actual collision physics need to be improved still as well.

They have to for the most part because the PS3 and the PS4 are entirely different hardware. How much they will have to change is the question.

Don't be ridiculous, no they don't. How do you think Naughty Dog's re-using their UC/TLoU engine for Uncharted PS4? Hell, how do you think multiplatform games ran on the PS3? I mean, the PC and PS3 are different architectures, right?

They'll of course have to rewrite some parts of the current engine to suit the different architecture (especially any low level code) and improve upon them, but the majority will be ported over relatively easily.

Dead Man

Did you just say Turn 10 is bad?

Facepalm...

Speaking of facepalms, I didn't say that, the poster I replied to suggested it and I was making the point that just because another thing is not good it doesn't excuse the first thing from criticism.

Edit: Only in a GT thread can you be suggested to be a Sony and a MS fanboy at once :)

It's amusing to me you think that, but by the same token praise Forza 5 profusely (one of the most unambitious racers to have ever been released), or anything Microsoft related by that token. I realise you write for a gaming magazine or outlet of some kind?

Going by your post history, I think you really need to chill off the bias a bit. Everyone has preferences, but that much of a bias for a professional journalist is a pretty damning prospect. Knack has no right being $60, you finding it mind boggling that Killzone still exists, Ryse being "really good" just a bit repetitive, you not believing that there is stock of the Xbox One anywhere and wanting picture proof, claiming the difference between 720p and 1080p isn't very noticeable, buying your multi platform games on the Xbox One despite superior versions being else where, in-fact generally praising everything Microsoft related and shitting on most things Sony related at every given opportunity.

So yea, I can't say I'm surprised by your opinion or the double standard nature of it comparative to Forza 5. I did ask you which publication you wrote for earlier, but it's a shame you never responded.

Wow.. totally killed him lol

rvy

Banned
It's amusing to me you think that, but by the same token praise Forza 5 profusely (one of the most unambitious racers to have ever been released), or anything Microsoft related by that token. I realise you write for a gaming magazine or outlet of some kind?

Going by your post history, I think you really need to chill off the bias a bit. Everyone has preferences, but that much of a bias for a professional journalist is a pretty damning prospect. Knack has no right being $60, you finding it mind boggling that Killzone still exists, Ryse being "really good" just a bit repetitive, you not believing that there is stock of the Xbox One anywhere and wanting picture proof, claiming the difference between 720p and 1080p isn't very noticeable, buying your multi platform games on the Xbox One despite superior versions being else where, in-fact generally praising everything Microsoft related and shitting on most things Sony related at every given opportunity.

So yea, I can't say I'm surprised by your opinion or the double standard nature of it comparative to Forza 5. I did ask you which publication you wrote for earlier, but it's a shame you never responded.

iceburn.gif

Top Bottom