• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 Review Thread

creyas

VideoGamer said:
the music sounds like it’s been ripped straight from a Ron Jeremy compilation VHS.
jennifer-lawrence-10.gif

GameSeeker

The reviews on GT6 are pretty good - current Metacritic is 80. Forza 5 received a Metacritic of 81, which is a statistical tie.

Given that GT6 is on last gen HW, that's a very good result. We can stop complaining about the reviews and enjoy GT6 while anticipating GT7 on the PS4.

Zafir

What I'd like to see in the next one is more effort on textures and graphics on some of the tracks... Grand Valley had some really awful graphics. The tree's and rock textures look like they're from the PS2 gen and that isn't even being hyperbolic. I've not really seen any other tracks quite as bad as that so far though I've only just started playing it.

Apart from that I'm having fun though.

Don't be ridiculous, no they don't. How do you think Naughty Dog's re-using their UC/TLoU engine for Uncharted PS4? Hell, how do you think multiplatform games ran on the PS3? I mean, the PC and PS3 are different architectures, right?

They'll of course have to rewrite some parts of the current engine to suit the different architecture (especially any low level code) and improve upon them, but the majority will be ported over relatively easily.

And again

They have to for the most part because the PS3 and the PS4 are entirely different hardware. How much they will have to change is the question.

If no effort or time to rewrite how the engine needs to interact with the hardware was required, there wouldn't be any reason for the PS4 not to play most PS3 games. Especially those multiplatform ports you mentioned.

Back to GT6, I am having fun but it also seems relatively easy to me. Breezing past most events. I wonder if that changes end game.

I'm loving the game and the way the cars handle now. The new UI feels snappy as well. I did notice the jaggies and some pop-in, but overall I think the game is an improvement over GT5.

kitzkozan

I'm going to wait for the XL or whatever they call the version bundled with the DLC. At this point, the XL edition might be on the PS4 (unless we see GT7 sooner than expected).

My backlog is just too big and I'm currently playing GT5 (I'm almost done with the campaign, but I have yet to unlock the dreaded endurance races which is the ultimate grind lol ).

Seanspeed

Banned
She might have missed that. There's been a lot of incidents where I'm lost as to how to do something in a game or don't know what something means even though it might have been explained to me briefly at some point. The human brain isn't perfect.

But anyways, you guys really gotta just let that review go. If you don't like it, then don't worry about it. It doesn't affect your life. Just relax and move on. lol

hardvibes

I'm going to wait for the XL or whatever they call the version bundled with the DLC. At this point, the XL edition might be on the PS4 (unless we see GT7 sooner than expected).
Eh? No. We're talking about a PS3 game. FYI, GT5 XL edition came out 1 year and 2-3 months after GT5.
And GT7 on PS4 won't come out before christmas 2015. I don't know how long you're willing to wait.

otapnam

Lol trying to save money on the amateur cup race 2 by sticking with the fit. Had to block the speedier Silvia on the finishing straight :D

She might have missed that. There's been a lot of incidents where I'm lost as to how to do something in a game or don't know what something means even though it might have been explained to me briefly at some point. The human brain isn't perfect.

But anyways, you guys really gotta just let that review go. If you don't like it, then don't worry about it. It doesn't affect your life. Just relax and move on. lol

Bullshit. Stop making excuses. Thats right at the start of the game, during its tutorial and you have to press x to continue through each message box. Theres nothing even going on in the background either. If she did miss it would be due to her impatience and so here lack of knowledge is not the games fault but entirely her own.

nib95

Banned
Wow.. totally killed him lol

Names Jonathan Leack and he writes for CraveOnline.com.

Starting to understand why he didn't want to mention who he writes for on here lol. Some choice quotes from his Twitter…

Jonathan Leack said:
It's really sad to see the Gran Turismo series become so stagnant. It's like it wants to grow up but just doesn't know how.

Jonathan Leack said:
Xbox One is beating the PS4 at the sales race for Black Friday weekend. I wonder how this will be spun...

Jonathan Leack said:
Sony messed up tragically with the PS4 launch. My PS4 is already a Netflix-only machine. You had so much time..

Jonathan Leack said:
I was also banned from NeoGAF for nothing. Its moderation staff is corrupt. At least we aren't alone in this awful experience.

Jonathan Leack said:
Banned from NeoGAF for saying something completely harmless. Who runs this forum? The USSR?

Jonathan Leack said:
I know the PS4 is being glorified, but it's far from perfect. For one, its OS UI is basic and boring. Not a far departure from the XMB.

Jonathan Leack said:
NeoGAF is so anti-Xbox it's ridiculous. I thought it was a forum for discussing video games, not marching with Sony emblazoned lightsabers.

Unsurprisingly his Twitter is full of mainly Xbox One caressing and PS4 criticising. What did surprise me however is the multiple snipes at GAF and "Sony fans" in general. I suppose there's irony in that though.

i-Lo

Pertaining to visuals, while the alpha effects have improved, the aliasing has become noticeably worse. Can anyone speculate as to how this happened?

JLeack

Banned
It's amusing to me you think that, but by the same token praise Forza 5 profusely (one of the most unambitious racers to have ever been released), or anything Microsoft related by that token. I realise you write for a gaming magazine or outlet of some kind?

Going by your post history, I think you really need to chill off the bias a bit. Everyone has preferences, but that much of a bias for a professional journalist is a pretty damning prospect. Knack has no right being $60, you finding it mind boggling that Killzone still exists, Ryse being "really good" just a bit repetitive, you not believing that there is stock of the Xbox One anywhere and wanting picture proof, claiming the difference between 720p and 1080p isn't very noticeable, buying your multi platform games on the Xbox One despite superior versions being else where, in-fact generally praising everything Microsoft related and shitting on most things Sony related at every given opportunity.

So yea, I can't say I'm surprised by your opinion or the double standard nature of it comparative to Forza 5. I did ask you which publication you wrote for earlier, but it's a shame you never responded.

This is way off topic, but you called me out so I'm going to reply.

I'm a HUGE fan of PlayStation and Gran Turismo. I've owned every GT but GT4, and have played them all for hundreds of hours.

Remember how GT5 received mixed reception? Psh. I loved it. Here's my garage:

f5cnhnO.jpg

I am level 30 in Spec A and 24 in Spec B. I've been playing it since it came out, even if just to do time laps on Nurburgring in my favorite cars (including a car I own IRL).

I'm disappointed by Gran Turismo 6. Is that too much? I'm sharing my opinion like the rest of you guys here. Try out Forza 5 and you'll see some of the mechanics they have would make Gran Turismo a better series. And really, it works reciprically. Forza could use some of Gran Turismo's flavor, too.

It's not that you're admitting defeat by saying the game could be better, you're wanting a better product in the future. In my opinion, Forza is much more modern than Gran Turismo, and that's why you see a lot of reviewers giving both a similar score despite Forza being "light on content", while Gran Turismo 6 has mountains of content.

For the record, I'm first and foremost a PC/PlayStation gamer. Hell, I am level 14 on PSN and don't have a very high gamerscore because I've been focused on PC/PlayStation content for work/hobby purposes since a decade ago. You're calling me a fanboy just because my opinion is different than yours. That's incredibly unfair.

nib95

Banned
You're calling me a fanboy just because my opinion is different than yours. That's incredibly unfair.

I never directly called you one, just called you out on bias. Not because of your opinion of GT6 either, but because of countless posts of yours on and off NeoGAF, that are nothing but exemplary of that description. As I highlighted in the post you quoted, and from the Twitter posts above, or your entire Twitter account in general. There's a very obvious and one sided slant, and it does not take your opinion of GT6 or F5 to see that. Far from the contrary. Everyone has preferences, that's natural. Just strange to see it so glaringly in a 'professional' journalist.

But anyway, OT I suppose.

Gestault

is this a joke? Is this true?

They're all from the current retail version GT6. Those visual issues fairly prominent, but don't let it scare you off. A lot of the time, aside from some framerate/tearing issues, this game looks great. Especially running on hardware as old as it is.

Starting to understand why he didn't want to mention who he writes for on here lol. Some choice quotes from his Twitter…

Unsurprisingly his Twitter is full of mainly Xbox One caressing and PS4 criticising. What did surprise me however is the multiple snipes at GAF and "Sony fans" in general. I suppose there's irony in that though.

Oh wow exposed lol

Gestault

Pertaining to visuals, while the alpha effects have improved, the aliasing has become noticeably worse. Can anyone speculate as to how this happened?

Total speculation, but I think grounded enough that it might explain some:

The PS3 has some challenges balancing how memory segments get passed around (because of the split memory banks).The framebuffer for things like smoke/dust/water-spray has been increased (massive improvement), which may have given them less leg-room elsewhere. That could mean fewer passes for AA, or it could mean they "squished" down their vertical resolution more than it was before.

Aside from GT5 Prologue (possibly there too, I'm not sure), I don't think the modern GT games have ever actually run in native 1080p; it's always been the proper horizontal resolution, but roughly half vertical resolution. In most cases with their AA solutions in the past, this let them have relatively crisp image quality with a better framerate than they'd normally be able to manage. I think they needed to balance out from one area to the other to manage what they did. I'm gonna be following their patchnotes moving forward, because I'd bet there's a lot of changes they can make track-to-track to improve both aspects over time. The problems we're seeing with performance are more or less prominent depending on the track.

Corrections on anything here would be appreciated, but I think it's just a case of shifting resources to squeeze out more.

Curufinwe

Detective GAF is the best at exposing people for what they really are. Hopefully a mod will come across this guy accusing them of being corrupt.

i-Lo

Total speculation, but I think grounded enough that it might explain some:

The PS3 has some challenges balancing how memory segments get passed around (because of the split memory banks).The framebuffer for things like smoke/dust/water-spray has been increased (massive improvement), which may have given them less leg-room elsewhere. That could mean fewer passes for AA, or it could mean they "squished" down their vertical resolution more than it was before.

Aside from GT5 Prologue (possibly there too, I'm not sure), I don't think the modern GT games have ever actually run in native 1080p; it's always been the proper horizontal resolution, but roughly half vertical resolution. In most cases with their AA solutions in the past, this let them have relatively crisp image quality with a better framerate than they'd normally be able to manage. I think they needed to balance out from one area to the other to manage what they did. I'm gonna be following their patchnotes moving forward, because I'd bet there's a lot of changes they can make track-to-track to improve both aspects over time. The problems we're seeing with performance are more or less prominent depending on the track.

Corrections on anything here would be appreciated, but I think it's just a case of shifting resources to squeeze out more.

That's a realistic speculation. Thanks.

rvy

Banned

(...)

God damn. Detective-GAF is best GAF.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Game Informer has gotten their review up:

Game Informer - 8/10GT5 did a similar thing; it went down to the early 80s but eventually came up to the mid-80s overall. Not too surprising it came up a little to be honest.

That review seems off so far:

GT 6 doesn't gift nearly as many cars for winning racing series like in previous entries, there are no used cars, and you can't sell the vehicles in your garage that you don't want.

I sold a car from my garage a minute ago...you can't sell it while you're driving it so I wonder if that's where the mistake came from.

Also

With no rewind mechanic to make my wrongs right, feeling this exposed was positively exhilarating.

Hell yes. Rewind mechanics are one of the worst "casual" additions to racing games ever.

Chobel

[tweets]

damn-gif-o.gif

commedieu

Banned

iboFbtv3IM5UfY.gif

B.O.O.M

0_0 well shit..detective gaf is best gaf

IISANDERII

Check his post history. He was dumping on GT6 as much as he could in previous threads.
Is it your severe fanboyism that compels such obvious and transparent lies?

There have been tons of dumping on the game because of screen tearing, dropped frame rates, pop-in etc.
Go ahead, I call your bluff, check my post history if I said even one single thing about it.

Likewise there has been all sorts of trashing on the game's audio. I did not say one single thing about that either.

And that's what you call "dumping as much as he could". Try to improve your reading comprehension, try to be less of a fanboy and your credibility may begin to climb itself out from the sewer.

JLeack

Banned
Is it your severe fanboyism that compels such obvious and transparent lies?

There have been tons of dumping on the game because of screen tearing, dropped frame rates, pop-in etc.
Go ahead, I call your bluff, check my post history if I said even one single thing about it.

Likewise there has been all sorts of trashing on the game's audio. I did not say one single thing about that either.

And that's what you call "dumping as much as he could". Try to improve your reading comprehension, try to be less of a fanboy and your credibility may begin to climb itself out from the sewer.

I just said the series needs to evolve, which I think it will with GT7. I'm not reviewing the game, either.

That said, GT6 is an awesome racing game. I'm finding night races and looking at cars in the shop to be a treat.

commedieu

Banned
I just said the series needs to evolve, which I think it will with GT7. I'm not reviewing the game, either.

That said, GT6 is an awesome racing game. I'm finding night races and looking at cars in the shop to be a treat.

Did you see the post with all your tweets........?

It's kind of unfair to directly compare these games given the hardware, but I understand why people are. While I cannot speak for the reviewer, based on my own experience I will not be going back to playing GT5/Forza 4 very often, and potentially won't pick up GT6 (need to play it first in order to make a decision), after playing Forza 5. While Forza 5 is far from perfect, and could certainly use more content, it just does so many other things well. It is a huge step up from Forza 4 in regards to graphics, sound, AI, track modeling, and physics.

In contrast, most of the GT6 reviews of the lukewarm variety, which is not all of them, are stating some legitimate criticisms of the series that carry over from GT5. There remain many issues in regards to graphical inconsistencies, AI, damage modeling, and sounds. It doesn't make GT6 a bad game, but I for one was looking for large improvements in these categories for GT6.

What are you talking about regarding reviews? Forza 5 has almost the exact same reviews as GT6, 81 vs. 80. How does that make GT6 lukewarm versus forza? Forza 5 is also the least well received iteration of the main series by a wide margin. If your personal opinion is that Forza 5 is a giant leap forward, sure you're entitled to it. Just don't try to cite general consensus of reviews to back up your case when they don't.

scandisk_

Unconfirmed Member

that slay!

The reviews on GT6 are pretty good - current Metacritic is 80. Forza 5 received a Metacritic of 81, which is a statistical tie.

Given that GT6 is on last gen HW, that's a very good result. We can stop complaining about the reviews and enjoy GT6 while anticipating GT7 on the PS4.

Don't be silly.

I completely agree.

Top Bottom