• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 Review Thread

Well I started the day excited but after reading more impressions on the frame rate issues and needing to drop it to 720 I think I am going to wait. First GT game that won't be a day 1 for me. I will get it...just not right now.

Gestault

Look, I understand this complaint. It's definitely jarring to see the huge discrepancy between models. But why is this such a hangup for so many people? There are 1,200 cars in the game. Most of them look great. Some of them look okay. A handful look atrocious. But did you ever really want to drive or own the atrocious ones? Or do you need to?

There's no excuse for PS2-era models in the game, I'll agree to that, but I just don't think it really matters all that much when you're playing the game, and, for the most part, don't need to own or even race against the low res models.

I think to me, with driving games/sims of this style, the cars are the showpiece for the whole experience. For the most part I agree with you, but imagine if in a game based on exploring an environment, five or six out of every ten wall textures was a generation off, in terms of its detail. The overall game could look stunning, but moment to moment, your experience is bumping between being utterly impressed to being downright disappointed. That's the best way I can describe this, as far as I'm concerned. Once they brought in the patch for 5 that made GT PSP-style shadow interior views, I started caring a lot less, because I race in-car. My original gameplay concern was basically addressed, and I give kudos for that.

Personally though, I still value consistency very highly. I'd rather have less detail in any given element resulting in a whole scene that gives a beautiful impression. Once you're "in the groove," that's how Gran Turismo games feel. They're monstrous and they're wonderful. But each new game in this current generation has made that transition a little more difficult, particularly with the promotion materials they use. We're legitimately talking about the majority of the content in the game not being built up to the standards of the rest of the game.

As much as I gripe, that sure isn't going to stop me from playing this game, when time allows.

Wait, where are the crowds? Oh...there they are.

iBJ8WoVdZJjrs.gif

lol it's like the car is creating people to watch the race as it goes.

Friend of mine who is really into GT sent me this ... and I just don't get how Polyphony can get away with this:

I know you have ~300 beautiful cars and ~700 shit cars or whatever, but how the hell can they release a car that looks like that even if it's one of the "shit" cars?

Or is this a fake image mocking the game?

I mean,t his looks worse than Gran Turismo 3:

(I just google imaged this pic so I'm not 100% sure that's GT3, but I think it is)

nmanma

Thanks, one of the things I like about translating stuff is learning about them, and the vs videos you posted were very interesting

Hope I didn't misrepresent the reviewer, the site states that he races and he uses his irl experiences on the review, but doesn't explicitly state how experienced he is as a driver and I tried to reflect that on my translation.

On the other hand, I think his experience, even if limited, makes his opinion about that aspect of the game more valuable than if he didn't have that experience, just not as valuable as if the review was made by a pro

Emwitus

Friend of mine who is really into GT sent me this ... and I just don't get how Polyphony can get away with this:

I know you have ~300 beautiful cars and ~700 shit cars or whatever, but how the hell can they release a car that looks like that even if it's one of the "shit" cars?

Oh so many GT5 memories.

(I just google imaged this pic so I'm not 100% sure that's GT3, but I think it is)

That's from GT5, and they already released an updated version of that car.

PnY5bCh.jpg

Oh so many GT5 memories.

Sorry if it's an old argument... I haven't followed GT6 at all and haven't really followed racing games in years, was a big fan of GT - GT3 A spec, but really grew tired of all of the delays and stopped following it.

So not even from a "forza is better no bad cars" perspective, how can they release a game that has assets that look like that?

Not fake. However, it was updated with a patch (in GT5). It was one of the worst offenders.

For GT6, all the 'standard' models have been improved further, with some seeing significant updates.

I see I see, sorry for mixing up the images... haven't really followed the game

Are we really arguing about Gran Turismo?
KuGsj.gif

Buy the game, it's fucking class all the way, you don't need some shill of a reviewer to tell you that.

Eusis

I disagree. I think it's good to get opinions from all perspectives.
Yeah, to invert that maybe it'd be worth running, say, the latest FF by him. Will it woo over non-JRPG fans? Or will he hate it as much as other JRPGs? It's definitely not a review relevant to hardcore JRPG fans except maybe if they were concerned they were trying too hard to make it mainstream, but it can be useful to those that AREN'T JRPG fans and want to see if things changed this time around. And I'm using FF here specifically because there can possibly be an issue if a smaller game doesn't get much attention from the press then the one guy who reviews it doesn't care about JRPGs at all, whereas FF is as much a tentpole for JRPGs as GT is for racing games.

I think this is part of the problem with Metacritic: by tallying all reviews there's that sort of sense it needs to score high to get as high "as it should" compared to other games, whereas I wouldn't be surprised a giant handful of 9s and 10s would've satisfied those people before, and possibly more rationally can also give the wrong impression to people going "ok I'm going to use the Metacritic average to figure out the best game in the series!" But really, it's best to have a wide variety of opinions from different tastes even if it screws up some arbitrary final tally.

OFC it's not a fake, when GT5 came out the standard models were one of the most fearsome weapons of the Forza side. Oh those days, before my 360 died and before Forza 5...

I read it. You mention what I said but still compare them. Allow me to ask why is this? Why can't they be inconsistent?
Because the reviews are presented in the same manner (pros, followed by cons), with a mixture of both subjective and objective criticism, the weighting of which is unclear. It's confusing to many.

Eusis

No es bueno.

ibbnJXABNzDpBg.gif

Honest comment: I want this particular car left exactly as it is in GT7 on PS4 as an Easter Egg.
Man, I remember when GT3 was the single most impressive looking racing game I ever saw when I got my PS2, even though I still couldn't get into the game. Took to Sega GT instead a year later for some reason.

... And I guess that car and all the posts about it answers why I wasn't as blown away with GT5 as I had hoped, besides the fact GT3 probably did make the single biggest leap for photorealism there was to make for vehicles.

Sendou

Because the reviews are presented in the same manner (pros, followed by cons), with a mixture of both subjective and objective criticism, the weighting of which is unclear. It's confusing to many.

Consider this: you wouldn't complain if the writers were writing for different sites. Why should it matter? Do you think the guy who reviewed Gran Turismo 6 should have consulted the guy who reviewed Forza 5 first? I'm just at loss here.

It's funny that even with next gen out, there is no game on the market that does realistic damage. At 200 mph there would be no car to drive.

I'm still so pissed that there hasn't been even a whisper of a Burnout game for the new generation, the level of destruction they could accomplish on new hardware would be amazing to see and play.

I get that Criterion can sell a lot more copies of NFS due to the brand name and use of licensed cars (couldn't care less about real or fake cars personally), but a technically showpiece racing game with INSANE destructibility would have been perfect at the launch of this new generation, even without licensed cars. I hate that these games are still be held back by car makers who are too afraid of their products image to allow game makers to go crazy and do all they can do.

Eusis

I'm still so pissed that there hasn't been even a whisper of a Burnout game for the new generation, the level of destruction they could accomplish on new hardware would be amazing to see and play.

I get that Criterion can sell a lot more copies of NFS due to the brand name and use of licensed cars (couldn't care less about real or fake cars personally), but a technically showpiece racing game with INSANE destructibility would have been perfect at the launch of this new generation, even without licensed cars. I hate that these games are still be held back by car makers who are too afraid of their products image to allow game makers to go crazy and do all they can do.
Yeah, I figured GT was always shit with the damage physics because they didn't want to piss off any of the car manufacturers, nevermind that they probably want to be as accurate as possible if they could do that anyway.

Still, it's part of why it's kind of frustrating to see the Criterion staff stuck on NFS, I get that logically most developers only really want one big racing game and that's that, but Burnout was a lot of fun wrecking other cars and they just don't/can't go as far with that in NFS.

Reviews for the following sites are up:
PlayStation LifeStyle - 9.0/10 (can't link)
Machinima - 9/10
Gaming Trend - 90/100
3DJuegos - 8.5/10
Digital Spy - 4/5

I am in the process of updating the OP with these reviews.
A human translation of the gamereactor.es review part in the OP:

Other points of interest:
-The site says the reviewer is "el único de nuestros compañeros que pilota en la vida real", or "the only one of us who races in real life".

-The reviewer considers that over the years the game part of GT has been neglected over the simulation part. He found GT6 not fun or realistic enough, and that made it "a mediocre racing game and one of the biggest disappointments of the year"

-After the intro race, he played events for 4 hours to buy a Honda Jazz. He found that slow and boring. Also, he didn't like that car, he found it handled like a slow miniature van, so racing with it was unexciting

-He didn't like the license requirement to unlock different Classes in Career mode, because he found getting licenses slow (9 races in total before the first exam phase that also takes some time to beat)

-I think this part sums up his expectations:

-Wasn't happy with loading times and menus. The last ones are easier to navigate but still have problems, like having to press 9 buttons in order to get to the next event after winning a race or having the cursor on "Race again" by default instead of "Next race"

-Found the physics enhancements minimal and most of them insignificant. The only one he really noticed was cars having more lateral grip. Overall, the physics are lifeless and mechanic, and lack unpredictability and feeling of speed. He found Forza Motorsport 4 to have the perfect equilibrium. Even deactivating all the aids and turning Traction Control to 0 it never seems really dangerous or risky to move the center of gravity of the car abruptly, since it's almost impossible to completely lose traction.

-He has a Nissan GT-R R35, which is also in the game, but the game doesn't capture the sensation of driving it. Has apparently driven an actual Mitsubishi Evolution IX and says the game version feels like a completely different car. He expands on that point, but I don't know much about cars so I can't translate that.

-Another nice quote:

-Physics in asphalt are weak, in snow are worse and in gravel even worse. Rally sections are the worst in the entire subgenre.

-Drifting feels great and close to the real deal.

-Graphically, some cars look great while others reek of PS2. Got framedrops to ~15 on some races. I'm not very fluid in graphics lingo so I don't understand this part: "About the lightning in the game, in several occations it looks too flat"

-He didn't like the music in the menus or the sound effects. "A Corvette Stingray 2014 sounds like a sewing machine [...]. Crashes sound even worse, and when you slam against a resistance it sounds like in its predecessor, like if you slammed together two empty tupperwares like cymbals"

-He liked the online part. Better presentation, more fluid and has more functions than previous games

5/10
+Tons of cars, numerous circuits, expanded online elements, good drifting
-Rigid, lifeless physics. Stupid AI, slow Career mode, weak feeling of speed, mediocre sound

Disclaimer: I haven't played any Gran Turismo game, but I found this review interesting and I like translating things. Checked game specific terms in google, but it's harder when it's between different languages, so I can only hope I didn't get anything wrong
Thank you very much for the translation of the review. I really appreciated that and linked this post in the OP.
"This could simply be because I’m not a racing fan and don’t get the appeal of driving around in circles without so much as a rocket launcher or turtle shell to break up the routine"

This review is plain stupid and should just be deleted from the first post. What's the point of it?
It is up there for two reasons; because it is technically a "professional" review and for averaging purposes. I do agree, though, that the review was horrible.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
No es bueno.

ibbnJXABNzDpBg.gif

Honest comment: I want this particular car left exactly as it is in GT7 on PS4 as an Easter Egg.

STILL, STILL?
There are using unfinished standard car models that aren't even on par with GT3 & 4?
This is bullshit, didn't they patched that shit in Gt5 to make them AT THE VERY LEAST look like PS2 models. How can they fuck this up so badly?

No es bueno.

ibbnJXABNzDpBg.gif

I dont get why bother even putting this car in the game?

Just to get that +1 for the total number of cars?

If there wasnt a watermark, you would think your watching GT3

Honey Bunny

81 now with 25 reviews, up from 75 before with 14. Quite the jump!

edit: aggravating to see they haven't touched some of those standards since 5^. I wonder if they only changed the most used ones or something.

JLeack

Banned
Maybe the Forza reviewer was having enough fun not to notice the bolded text?

This. Sometimes a game is well polished and fun enough to hide its flaws. Forza 5 was that sort of game for me. I didn't mind its shortcomings because I was loving my experience and it didn't get in my way.

Due to the OP crossing over the 24,000 character threshold, I have made another post for reviews on here. Hopefully this is not a serious issue since there no other way I can post these reviews. Expect me to link to updates every time such updates are made.
81 now with 25 reviews, up from 75 before with 14. Quite the jump!

edit: aggravating to see they haven't touched some of those standards since 5^. I wonder if they only changed the most used ones or something.
According to my math, at twenty-eight reviews, it is at 79.4%

Which is why I stopped actually reading reviews long ago and just look to gaf. So much inconsistency with reviewers, from almost every major source.

But most gamers are not on GAF and they go to these sites for deciding which game to buy or not buy. Hence the inconsistency in the reviews is really misleading and damaging to some games even when they don't deserve it. The personal bias by some of the reviewers against some genre or system is the worst thing in the gaming industry which is really unprofessional.

I dont get why bother even putting this car in the game?

Just to get that +1 for the total number of cars?

If there wasnt a watermark, you would think your watching GT3

While it certainly sucks, im glad they include weird cars such as this, sometimes you just want to drive the machine, I would rather be able to drive it and it looking like this than not at all.

If PD would take out cars that dont meet a certain criteria, i would never get to drive the beautiful Mazda Furai. I like that car so much I probably wouldnt get the game if it wasnt include and yes, its a standard too.

lNoPYny.jpg

Racer1977

It's clear PD are doing some amazing things with the archaic PS3 hardware, but it must take a huge amount of time and resources just to get this game running.

So many of the issues highlighted could be eliminated entirely on PS4 (let's imagine the actual port was straighftorward), a GT6 PS4 Edition running at 1080p, with a rock solid 60fps, and all PD's fantastic effects cranked to the max, would be a wonderful spectacle.

Sony need to get something like this out by next Christmas, PD can then take as long as they need to deliver GT7, taking full advantage of the system.

Seems like a lot of reviews are yet to come in, should start to see those by Monday.

It's clear PD are doing some amazing things with the archaic PS3 hardware, but it must take a huge amount of time and resources just to get this game running.

So many of the issues highlighted could be eliminated entirely on PS4 (let's imagine the actual port was straighftorward), a GT6 PS4 Edition running at 1080p, with a rock solid 60fps, and all PD's fantastic effects cranked to the max, would be a wonderful spectacle.

Sony need to get something like this out by next Christmas, PD can then take as long as they need to deliver GT7, taking full advantage of the system.

I doubted that they would release a GT6 for ps4 but with the way things are going i think they might actually do it.

@Gestault: That car gif is awful. I expected much better, especially since we've seen how good this game can look.
Seems like a lot of reviews are yet to come in, should start to see those by Monday.
I can only imagine. Already, thirty-one is a lot (see my two posts for review, #1 and #8).

havokt

Agreed. At this point I wonder if a lot of people on here even like to play videogames or if they just enjoy over critiquing them.

This response is bullshit! GAF is a hardcore gaming community. The majority of posters live and breath video games and have been doing so for years. We have threads that pick apart graphics, story, music, dialogue you name it. These tiny nitpicks for you and most wont be an issue, but these small nitpicks can mean a lot to the overall game and its experience for many here.

sfedai0

Banned
Hmmm, some of the feedback is starting to convince me to just stick with GT5 and wait for the true next gen GT.

Why don't PD just rid the standard cars?

Because why get rid of the cars just because they don't look good. It's clear they are working on them over time, no need to gimp the roster like Turn 10 did just to have only extremely high poly cars. It's all about the driving experience, and cutting out 800 cars in GT6 would be crazy, just like how Forza 5 cut out around 400(?) cars.

otapnam

Why don't PD just rid the standard cars?

its not just about how they look, its how they drive. Some are worse than others, but if you want to drive that one car thats only standard would u rather not have it?

they added a good amount of premiums to GT6 and fixed a bunch of standards, im ok with that. I cant wait to see if they updated the Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GTA 1600 '65. one of my fav classics from GT5

Top Bottom