• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 Review Thread

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Looks like Forza wins this round. I have to say, I haven't heard a while lot about GT6 in terms of marketing and such. Is it even out on PS4?
Wait, what? The reviews seem really positive to me and it seems like it's a much better package.

Everything outside of the racing in Forza 5 is broken and horrible.

None of these reviews really surprise me, except for that VentureBeat one I suppose (I get what they were going for, but it's still quite odd).

I think the Digital Foundry teardown on this will be far more interesting than any review could be. Lookig forward to that, hopefully this weekend.

VentureBeat didn't play the game. Check the last page. Either that or the guy is blind and completely disregarded the tutorial, which goes over A LOT.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
One thing I've sort of always wondered is how gaming sites judge car physics. How can you tell what a super car should feel like? It's hard for me to know how they determine that.

IISANDERII

How so? The review is full of praise.
Well I played GT5 to death and getting everything I wanted from the game was an arduous journey. Kinda burned out so the few mentions in that review of the word grind and how it may even be grindier than GT5 and the only solution to it is purchasing in game credits have me shivering.

LiK

One thing I've sort of always wondered is how gaming sites judge car physics. How can you tell what a super car should feel like? It's hard for me to know how they determine that.

I have the same question when it comes to real world gun feel. I don't think reviewers all know what every gun feels like unless they're a gun enthusiast. They can only imagine if it feels right or feels good.

I've always wonder that as well, even from fans of the series how can you know how a super car feels if you only driven a god damn honda, and then have the audacity to say it doesn't feel right.

KHlover

Banned
Totally subjective, I suppose. No other way unless everyone reviewing these games is a pro driver.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

Makes me wonder the same thing about engine sounds lol Since seriously unless someone is a total hardcore car enthusiast they are not going to know most of the difference in sounds between all the vehicles in game.

Y2Kev

Well gt just sounds bad so I get that. But like, making specific claims about physics...

Kysen

If we could only get a racing game on console with the focus, polish of Forza and scope of GT we'd be set.

I've always wonder that as well, even from fans of the series how can you know how a super car feels if you only driven a god damn honda, and then have the audacity to say it doesn't feel right.

There are things you can extrapolate from regular driving though - the way loss of grip works, weight transfer etc. If games don't get these right most drivers will notice.

I'm not sure, but Martin Robinson at Eurogamer has written before about his real-life experiences at Brands Hatch and Silverstone (I think). I'm not sure what cars he's driven, but he'd have some knowledge, I'd guess.

nmanma

Gamereactor.es' reviewer races in real life. I doubt he has experience with a super car, but his opinion on the cars in the game that he has actually driven should be a good indicator on the quality of the simulation, I think

For the new page. Many people still seem to be giving VG the benefit of the doubt.

As a nonracing fan, there’s a lot about it I still don’t understand. What are performance points and why are they important?

NwdfsWR.png

0CQllRi.png

This fucker didn't play the game and VB should retract the review.

Fuck that noise.

One of his questions answered in the first 10 minutes.

I'm convinced he didn't play the game, because the tutorial, at the very beginning of the game teaches you about basic driving techniques and more.

Parakeetman

Well gt just sounds bad so I get that. But like, making specific claims about physics...

Yeah thats just a whole nother thing there. Do agree with the point you were trying to make, since it would be a difficult thing for most average people to have experience with a broad enough range of automobiles to make a generalized statement on the games overall physics.

A few cars sure, but it still has yet to really put more meaning behind a broad statement which is what is seen in reviews. If that makes sense.

There are things you can extrapolate from regular driving though - the way loss of grip works, weight transfer etc. If games don't get these right most drivers will notice.

And its still based on that particular vehicle, that you have driven, that is the only thing you can guage.

Spookie

Could always ask Rubens Barrichello to test it for you. :p

PBY

Banned
For the new page. Many people still seem to be giving VG the benefit of the doubt.

I'm convinced he didn't play the game, because the tutorial, at the very beginning of the game teaches you about basic driving techniques and more.
Or maybe that's not enough for neophytes? Your making huge accusations based on two popup screens which are kind of vague.

Parakeetman

One of his questions answered in the first 10 minutes.

Yep seriously. You should go email that to VB. Or tweet it. Since that article does indeed need to get pulled as its not even informed enough to be an "opinion" piece.

There are some aspects about how a car feels and moves that are universal. And then there are some easy approximations you can make based on the engine, weight, suspension and tyre types which will effect a car in a particular way.

If the reviewer has ever driven a car before, and has played a few racing sims before, it's actually quite easy to comment on the physics.

Wow! That's a wide range of reviews! From "this is the best thing ever" to "driving games suck!" Don't know if it makes me want to play it more or less...

Morzak

Some reviewers actually did some racing in real life, and you don't need a supercar to test that, GT6 has more then enough affordable cars and trackday cars to choose from. Also certain things like how loss of grip works, what impact weighttransfers have etc can be judged even if you never drove a really fast car at the limit. In the end there is probably also some subjective feeling of how it should feel and what is fun. But that is why I don't give much stock in reviews from most mainstream gaming sides when it comes to such games.

Seanspeed

Banned
Judging the physics and handling model of a game is a little bit different than judging whether or not a specific car drives exactly like it would in real life. They do go hand-in-hand, but what people usually refer to as 'physics' apply over the entire game, as the basis of all of the cars(and also the tires and track surface and whatnot).

You then basically plug your car data into the system(an oversimplification obviously, but good enough for the purposes of this question) and it will hopefully pop out a fairly reasonable representation of what any given car should be like to drive. Results do vary as each game's 'physics' are imperfect and can have areas of weaknesses. Certain cars may turn out more faithful to real-life than others. But the general success over the whole range of cars is basically what's being judged.

Parakeetman

Wow! That's a wide range of reviews! From "this is the best thing ever" to "driving games suck!" Don't know if it makes me want to play it more or less...

The bottom line is, do you like the GT series? Do you like racing sims?

If the answer is yes to either of them buy 6.

I don't understand the Forza 5 comparisons...
The more fair comparison would be Forza 4 since they are both from the same console generation.

I own both F4 and GT5 and after reading these reviews I don't have any desire to spend $60 for another racing sim.

Y2Kev

There are some aspects about how a car feels and moves that are universal. And then there are some easy approximations you can make based on the engine, weight, suspension and tyre types which will effect a car in a particular way.

If the reviewer has ever driven a car before, and has played a few racing sims before, it's actually quite easy to comment on the physics.

I drive a car every day and I would find it impossible to write about how accurate a simulation transfers weight around chicanes at speeds faster than I would ever drive in cars with 4x as much horsepower. I just don't really think the experience is transferrable on any real replicable level.

"This could simply be because I’m not a racing fan and don’t get the appeal of driving around in circles without so much as a rocket launcher or turtle shell to break up the routine"

This review is plain stupid and should just be deleted from the first post. What's the point of it?

That is one of the dumbest reviews you will read in a while. He didn't play the tutorials, but found the game confusing. He isn't a racing fan, doesn't understand the appeal of racing games, yet he is the one that reviews this game? I

I am not very familiar with Venture Beat, but don't they have someone that may be somewhat of a fan of racing games, that knows what to look for in a review, to review the game?

KHlover

Banned

But cars with the engine in front of the cockpit behave pretty different than cars with the engine in the back of the car.

Most commercial cars have the engine in front of the cockpit, so probably most reviewers have never driven cars with the motor in the back of it. How are they supposed to accurately judge the behaviour of the car?

JimiNutz

Banned
If we could only get a racing game on console with the focus, polish of Forza and scope of GT we'd be set.

That's exactly how I feel.
The actual driving in Forza 5 is sublime. That plus the content and scope of GT6 would be unbelievable...

Maybe with GT7 or Forza 6.

Spookie

If you're playing on a wheel I'd advise a rent first. It's got some of the worst FFB I've felt recently so it's not for me.

What was Venture Beat thinking? I don't play these kinda of games so I'm not speaking from a fan boy perspective whatsoever here ... But having a guy as clueless as that reviewing a game like GT6 is like having your hard-of-hearing grandmother review high-end surround sound systems.

ElyrionX

So the reviews are basically saying it's Gran Turismo 5 with some new cars, some new tracks and some shiny new graphics? And give it a 9/10?

The problem with the series is not that it doesn't have enough cars, tracks or shiny graphics. The problem with the series is that it has shit sound, a shit career mode, and shit AI. And GT6 fixes NONE of that. So why does it deserve all these scores?

Game reviewers are utterly useless.

I drive a car every day and I would find it impossible to write about how accurate a simulation transfers weight around chicanes at speeds faster than I would ever drive in cars with 4x as much horsepower. I just don't really think the experience is transferrable on any real replicable level.

But surely you can tell when a car isn't handling realistically in a video game. I don't think racing sims are realistic enough at this point for it to be too hard to know when something feels a bit floaty. At least that's my experience with Forza and GT. Neither have cars that drive like real cars do, but one can certainly tell incremental improvements from one iteration to the next.

How are the Gamereactor reviews treated by sites like Metacritic?

They have two different reviews (Sweden 5/10 and Denmark 6/10) that are translated and published on several other sites.

Does the exact same review get counted several times?

iammeiam

"This could simply be because I’m not a racing fan and don’t get the appeal of driving around in circles without so much as a rocket launcher or turtle shell to break up the routine"

This review is plain stupid and should just be deleted from the first post. What's the point of it?

Same point as all the reviews of Twilight or Hungrr Games movies written by people who aren't teenage girls and have no interest in books targeting teenage girls? A review of a work from a perspective knowingly well outside the target audience isn't inherently evil, and can occasionally let outsiders know they might enjoy something they'd never have looked at (Twilight is terrible for anyone who doesn't want to swoon over creepy undead boyfriends, Hunger Games is actually entertaining for reasons entirely unrelated to cute boys--not useful to the target audience, but good for everyone else to know.)

The VentureBeat review is sloppy and has obvious issues, but seems to boil down to: If you don't give a shit about racing sims, this game won't change your opinion and doesn't offer anything outside racing sim to give a shit about. Which isn't a bad thing to have to offset reviews targeted at people who already love GT.

Seanspeed

Banned
It is quite imperfect and I don't think any simulator, be it a professional one or a video game one, can really get this anywhere near 'just right'. Not in 2013, at least.

It is largely based on intuition, I guess. I've watched a LOT of racing and have a pretty good eye for car handling characteristics if I can get an onboard view. I can usually get quite a bit of information about what that car is like to drive. Not a complete picture of course, but a general idea at least. I can then see if this game I play is anything like that, or if the car reacts in the same ways.

As someone with a high end sports car who tracks it at competitive race pace, I'd say that video games are just that. I never get into one of these who has better physics debates because the arguing party is generally debating based on a preference of a series they are most familiar with.

Driving at a competitive pace is so much about feel and confidence that you can only go so far with a game. After you get some basics dialed in up the rest is interpretation by the developer and them trying to sell you on an experience. Not saying its right or wrong, just that's the best they can do with limited options on the consumer side. Not all the consumers can be expected to have the same wheel and moving pod at home. If we had a an exact control environment, then we could use that as a better baseline for comparison but we don't.

Razgreez

If there's one thing forza definitely misses it's polish. Constantly reproducing cars with the same physical and handling defects is definitely not polish. I think with forza you're referring to the specific features it has that GT continues to miss

AllenShrz

That's exactly how I feel.
The actual driving in Forza 5 is sublime. That plus the content and scope of GT6 would be unbelievable...

Maybe with GT7 or Forza 6.

I finally tired F5 today, no way Jose, it still fells like an arcade racer.

The driving of GT6 is so much better.

Im stunned of how this game looks
and how terrible the audio is :(

QaaQer

That is one of the dumbest reviews you will read in a while. He didn't play the tutorials, but found the game confusing. He isn't a racing fan, doesn't understand the appeal of racing games, yet he is the one that reviews this game? I

I am not very familiar with Venture Beat, but don't they have someone that may be somewhat of a fan of racing games, that knows what to look for in a review, to review the game?

It is not a gaming site and their target demo isn't gamers. Assuming the editorial staff know what they are doing, and they probably do, the review fits with the site.

And why is it strange to have a noob review a genre? Why should every review have to come from the perspective of a racing sim enthusiast? I wouldn't want that. I'm glad reviews range from that IRL racer in Spain all the way to that woman who has never played a sim in her life. Its all good.

[I can't help but think though, there would be no posts about it if it was either not numerically scored, or she had given the game a 9.5]

velociraptor

Do you like racing games? Yes? Then GT6 is a game for you.

Personally I can't trust review sites for racing sims. Most journalists are an absolute joke at driving - gaming events are sufficient evidence to prove this.

I would trust VVV or InsideSimRacing for proper reviews; reviews done by people who are actually fans of the racing genre.

It seems very silly to ask for a regular Joe to review GT. They would probably miss the entire point of a game like GT.

But cars with the engine in front of the cockpit behave pretty different than cars with the engine in the back of the car.

Most commercial cars have the engine in front of the cockpit, so probably most reviewers have never driven cars with the motor in the back of it. How are they supposed to accurately judge the behaviour of the car?

Fair point.

So the reviews are basically saying it's Gran Turismo 5 with some new cars, some new tracks and some shiny new graphics? And give it a 9/10?

The problem with the series is not that it doesn't have enough cars, tracks or shiny graphics. The problem with the series is that it has shit sound, a shit career mode, and shit AI. And GT6 fixes NONE of that. So why does it deserve all these scores?

Game reviewers are utterly useless.

You didn't read the reviews. You didn't play the game. Career is better, AI is improved (...slightly). At the very most, GT hasn't fixed it's sound and "standard" cars. Everything else has improved.

Top Bottom