• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport Beta Thread

amar212

Super Premium Car Models

We’ve seen in previous comments that Polyphony has taken the decision to build all-new vehicle models for GT Sport. The team refers to them as “Super Premium” models and Yamauchi believes they are of a high enough standard to last for a decade.

https://www.gtplanet.net/polyphonys-e3-presentation-reveals-details-gt-sport/

I feel true compassion for car modellers in PD. First they'e invested more than 6-months of working hours per Preimum model for GT5 with premise they will be "future proof".

Only 3 years later in GT6 they had to make dozens of models to be both Premium and LOD-compatible.

And now, 4 years later, we have "Super Premium".

Cycle never ends.

Sebmugi

1497606258-gran-turismo-tm-sport-version-de-test-beta-fermee-20170616110833.png

1497606255-gran-turismo-tm-sport-version-de-test-beta-fermee-20170616111447.png

1497606276-gran-turismo-tm-sport-version-de-test-beta-fermee-20170616111637.png

1497606272-gran-turismo-tm-sport-version-de-test-beta-fermee-20170616110415.png

1497606271-gran-turismo-tm-sport-version-de-test-beta-fermee-20170616111732.png

l2ounD

I feel true compassion for car modellers in PD. First they'e invested more than 6-months of working hours per Preimum model for GT5 with premise they will be "future proof".

Only 3 years later in GT6 they had to make dozens of models to be both Premium and LOD-compatible.

Cycle never ends.

They are pretty close to modelling the car to the manufacturer brochure quality. It should be good enough for PS5. But by then they'll start doing the Ultra Super Premium that'll be indistinguishable from the brochures. It has to end there right? Then they can do the suspension arms and undercarriage.

Unknown?

I love how they're making this with the passion of the first and considering it a new start for the franchise! They already have industry leading features, I hope they are able to make online racing as good as iracing.

Niks

Cycle never ends.

Dunno if it's just marketing speech, but I find it wierd that they have to redo models.

I mean, I'm no expert but aren't models done with vector data? Wouldn't the only things they need to update are textures (for 4k)?

Maybe some one here can shed some light on the precess?

l2ounD

Dunno if it's just marketing speech, but I find it wierd that they have to redo models.

I mean, I'm no expert but aren't models done with vector data? Wouldn't the only things they need to update are textures (for 4k)?

Maybe some one here can shed some light on the precess?

Depending on the Manufacturer they might get CAD data and can trace/model 3D game geometry on top of that and be super accurate(still a lot of work/rework to get the game model in spec with the console). But GT5 stuff I'm thinking a majority was done traditionally where its mostly off of pictures and not as accurate.

RaijinFY

Cycle never ends.

I would say 10 years isn't that much on the top of that imo.... Considering the effort you have to put to modelize them.
Also, looking at the quality of the models, no way in hell you can outsource that task.

Cycle never ends.

I remember saying this a few years ago, which is why i think its a waste of time to do this for everygame.

Its one more reason to outsource and get models done faster, like other games do.

24 hour shifts and meticulous work doesnt always mean its something you should be doing it.

coiler

Ultra super duper premium and yet you can clearly see a low LOD on the outside mirrors when driving from the inside cam or on the edges of the bonnet while driving in that view.
Kaz is a bad layer and should stop saying all that BS in the interviews. I wont even start with the rest.

thelastword

Banned

Cycle never ends.
Yeah Kaz is never pleased.. I wish some one would do premium models "external and internal shots" from GT3 to GTS...to see how far we've come...

Two very fun races and impressions from ISR from E3...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MyiR4a0zGU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_ko17ZDGws&t

Sebmugi

The new patch 1.07 for the beta of GT sport improves a little the shadows on the trees and the other elements of the scenery, video of Nûrb in upload ..

Small GIF pending ^^

170621101026176919.gif

There's not much to the update. Mostly bug fixes, and stuff that 1.06 accidentally added. I can't see any difference in the driving or car balance from some mild messing around. I do not pity the developers right now, who have to sort through feedback from the JP players who are coming across the same quirks as everyone else did weeks/months ago. Searching doesn't work across multiple languages of course.

Complaints and concerns are becoming progressively minor in nature. QA continues to improve bit by bit.

Another update, another week without getting a damn code :(((((

Ultra super duper premium and yet you can clearly see a low LOD on the outside mirrors when driving from the inside cam or on the edges of the bonnet while driving in that view.
Kaz is a bad layer and should stop saying all that BS in the interviews. I wont even start with the rest.

That has literally nothing to do with each other. You can have super high quality models (which this game clearly has) and use low LODs (and in fact, you should) for things that don't need any better, like a mirror that takes 1/20 of the screen, in order to keep performance over 60 FPS and/or use resources in things that matter more. I'm curious, what is "the rest"?

dr guildo

A quick comparison between driveclub and GT sport beta (pro boost mode on)

I thought DC's interiors were superior to GTS in the first place. But after seeing this comparison, I must admit that GTS is above for the materials'fidelity even for carbon fiber that I could have sworn DC was far above, in fact, not at all.
Maybe because of the lighting setting's choices.

dr guildo

1.07 Nurb replay
https://youtu.be/L5202naUOP4

Even in 1080 youtube compression is really disgusting :crazy:

For the moment, I think F7 is better looking than GTS in a gameplay context. F7 is above in terms of environment geometry, overall texturing, IQ, and framerate. The lighting is quite good in F7 too, big improvement from Turn10 in this area, even if it doesn't top the natural vibes of GTS,the result is very good to see.

Mascot

A little staggering of the animations would work wonders here to stop it looking like a synchronised flag-waving tournament.

It also annoys me when banks of identical trees are all orientated exactly the same. Would it have killed the devs to spend five minutes rotating them all slightly differently about their vertical axes?

RomeoDog

Banned
A little staggering of the animations would work wonders here to stop it looking like a synchronised flag-waving tournament.

It also annoys me when banks of identical trees are all orientated exactly the same. Would it have killed the devs to spend five minutes rotating them all slightly differently about their vertical axes?
You drive by that section in seconds dude.

Mascot

You drive by that section in seconds dude.

Not always. You might be stopped because you crashed, or have to slow down because the track is blocked, or stopped to take a photo (or to create a gif, like the one we are discussing).

Or just posting a gif on a website that shows marshals waving flags that look a little odd because of the perfect synchronisation.

Yes, it's a small detail in the grand scheme of things but Kaz prides himself on his details. My point was, a little bit of work here (like a simple half-second delay in the animation start times) could provide much more believable realism. That was all. Game still looks great.

Top Bottom