• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport Beta Thread

Finally finished an online race, finished 3rd, smooth as butter regarding any lag. 12 participants,

Now for the track only Americans would ever dream of creating.............the oval zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Edit: +just unlocked the AMG merc with the daily bonus, sweet!

Mascot

Great race at Dragon Trail. No glitches, good overall driving, ghost saved my ass once (thanks Casper).

Wide flowing tracks always seem to make the best MP races.

Active Yaw Control in the Lancer seems to work really well under braking (cool that they simulate that! Really REALLY cool!), but not so well on-throttle, from good braking oversteer into on-throttle understeer of a FWD car.

Now what bums me out.
I have ABS turned off..., how does the car's computer control the yaw angle under braking if not with ABS? I don't know how it is in real life, but it probably works like an intelligent brake balance controller. That it works with ABS off makes sense then, BUT, the actual brake balance setting doesn't go anywhere high or low enough to get same nice braking oversteer.

I'll have a look at the braking distance next.

Got a race too, Dragon, about a dozen people but evaporated to 6 when the game began. All worked well, and i like the track. Quit out until tomorrow, stick of the network connection issues for now.

oh come on -.- First I couldn't get into the game and then I don't get the car for the daily bonus because the servers are again offline? After two weeks of beta I would expect more...

Putty

oh come on -.- First I couldn't get into the game and then I don't get the car for the daily bonus because the servers are again offline? After two weeks of beta I would expect more...

To be fair though a lot more players have just entered the fray...

It's a stress test and clearly that's whats happening...I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now...

Ardenyal

4th on my first race on the oval. Decent.

I like the aggressive ghosting. So many people driving all over the place lol

To be fair though a lot more players have just entered the fray...

It's a stress test and clearly that's whats happening...I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now...

I understand, but it's still annoying. They expect us to take some free time, because the beta is only open for a couple of hours per day and then something like this happens after two weeks of beta already. I couldn't do one race, only qualifying and now I don't even get a car because that's also behind an online wall. I hope it will get better over the next days

DieH@rd

Banned
I managed to enter into the last race of the day on the oval. Fought fairly from 13th to 3rd place [was 2nd until last turn :D], and then game hard crashed when returning to main menu. :-/ This crash prevented me to record my race via share button.

Online now.

"No daily race available"

Huh?

We only get to drive 3 on-line races per day, and if you miss their starting timings, you must wait for next day's offering. In the meantime you can only drive qualifying runs for them or compete for daily challenges.

:-/

danowat

Banned
Managed to get one race in, but the servers have shit the bed for me, same for everyone? or is this a result of using someone elses key?

As for the game itself, well, I'll be honest, I wasn't expecting much, the bar has been raised since the previous games, with AC and Pcars, but........

Colour me impressed, game feels great, physics are good, I'd say they are better than Pcars, but not quite as good as AC, but the whole thing feels really really slick.

Impressed, very impressed.

Sebmugi

First crack on a tail light car in a GT it seems to me ^^

1492277573-gran-turismo-tm-sport-version-de-test-beta-fermee-20170415170117.png

And small damage

1492277444-gran-turismo-tm-sport-version-de-test-beta-fermee-20170415171630.png

We have a lot of problems with servers in europe .. i was able to do a race and an evening ..
:/

cooldawn

Very true. It was an unfair generalisation. Maybe it's just the tap-tap steerers that twitch, or the game doesn't smooth the inputs visually on the car movement.
I don't like tap-tap steering either. Generally subtle changes in direction are nigh-on impossible on controller i.e. the output looks jarring most of the time. Good controller players can limit the amount of tap-tap required (unless it's a never ending bend). That's what I strive for anyways.

Heres my first race Megane at Brands Hatch

Second race Audi TT at Dragon Trail

It's still decent to play with a controller but i miss my G27 :(
That looks like an excellent track. Good to see the kerbs actually change the balance of the car somewhat too. Risk/reward.

God damn...I want a code : (

Putty

The think about oval tracks of course is that wheel users really gain an advantage on bends as they can simply just hold the wheel at the correct angle, so no speed fluctuations pad users get when correcting...

Qronicle

A bit disappointed I didn't get into any races this evening, but boy it's hard getting used to controller input (vs wheel). On the oval I can hardly drive in a straight line.

I saw Mascot recommending the Cronusmax adapter for Fanatec users in the steering wheels thread, anybody here with any hands on impressions?

Mascot

Managed to get one race in, but the servers have shit the bed for me, same for everyone? or is this a result of using someone elses key?

As for the game itself, well, I'll be honest, I wasn't expecting much, the bar has been raised since the previous games, with AC and Pcars, but........

Colour me impressed, game feels great, physics are good, I'd say they are better than Pcars, but not quite as good as AC, but the whole thing feels really really slick.

Impressed, very impressed.

Yeah, it's all very slick, and presentation is superb. Rock-solid 60fps during gameplay too, at least on the Pro. It's got that classic GTesque feeling behind the wheel, nice and familiar and predictable. Assuming PD pay their internet bill by launch date it could be a very solid overall package. GTS is lacking quite a few key features that I now take for granted though. Not just dynamic ToD and weather, but other things like companion apps (the Crew Chief spotter app, pCARS Dash telemetry etc) which add a lot to the experience. It'll be interesting to see how it compares overall to other racers on PS4 when it finally launches, as SMS and Kunos have both upped their game recently.

I'll probably buy it regardless.

I saw Mascot recommending the Cronusmax adapter for Fanatec users in the steering wheels thread, anybody here with any hands on impressions?

Impressions are simple: it makes your Fanatec act and feel like an officially-supported wheel with full FFB and zero discernible lag, and after initial set-up takes less than a minute to get up and running without the need to chain it through a PC. I really cannot recommend it highly enough - it turned the depressing legacy wheel situation on PS4 into a nothing more than a minor inconvenience.

Tomeru

People complaining about a beta for online connectivity to not be working properly is, well, people being people I guess.

I don't think they had (as many) connectivity issues with the NA beta?

I don't remember any issues with the US-only beta, but GT is really big in Europe and they seemed to let a ton of people in right away rather than in waves like with the US. So, I guess it's kinda expected that they servers couldn't cope.

Mascot

I don't remember any issues with the US-only beta, but GT is really big in Europe and they seemed to let a ton of people in right away rather than in waves like with the US. So, I guess it's kinda expected that they servers couldn't cope.

PD/Sony have been in complete control of the numbers by making it invite-only. There should have been no surprises at their end regarding capacity, and that's the slightly worrying thing. It has been REALLY bad today with servers going down multiple times.

danowat

Banned
PD/Sony have been in complete control of the numbers by making it invite-only. There should have been no surprises at their end regarding capacity, and that's the slightly worrying thing. It has been REALLY bad today with servers going down multiple times.

I wonder if they are switching off certain tiers of users, as I have people on my friends list who are still playing, when I can't get on.

Well, the point of betas is to test this kind of stuff and fail now instead of after launch.

If you can't handle some disconnections you can give me your code/account, kthx.

Mascot

I wonder if they are switching off certain tiers of users, as I have people on my friends list who are still playing, when I can't get on.

Mmmm... Could be. Seems a daft way to go about it though. A lot of big fans planned their day around this EU launch only to leave disappointed.

I'm not saying it wasn't bad. But people will understand and tolerate these issues in a beta. After all, that's the entire point of their existence (when they're actually betas rather than demos). It's better for them to get an understanding of the type of load the servers are going to need to handle now rather than at launch when people would understandably not be as tolerant of these issues.

Putty

Currently at 1:38.7 in my gtr on BR....making some set up changes....regardless of anything else at the moment...the handling model is ...fantastic...

Currently at 1:38.7 in my gtr on BR....making some set up changes....regardless of anything else at the moment...the handling model is ...fantastic...

I can't break the 1:40 barrier in my VW, I swear the first corner costs me almost 2 seconds, so much understeer.

But yes, the handling model is sublime.

I'm sure nobody here will care, but when I said before that the braking distance seems a little long (wasn't sure if it's just the bad FOV that lead to my impression), I was right:

Motortrend (Jan 2011) said:
Around our figure eight, the Evo demolished the STI with a 25.0 second run at a 0.76 g average. The STI accomplished an identical mission at 25.6 seconds and an average of 0.73 g — a very respectable number, but well in the dust of the nimbler Evo. Yet the STI matches the Evo's average lateral acceleration of 0.93 g and posts a barely better stopping distance from 60 mph (110 ft vs. 112 ft).
As 60mph-0mph is about the same even though the one below is an older Lancer, I guess the 80-0 stopping distance won't be very different (source: Road & Track):
2004lancervsimprezal7u4f.png

[194 feet are 59 meters, 112 feet are 34 meters]

Here is the braking distance from GT Sport's Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X Final Edition N300 (tires are Sports Hard, no ABS, 100% brake input and tires did not lock up at any time, which is weird, maybe it's because the Lancers AYC still works as an AID in the background):
gtsportbetastoppingdirqshc.png

Now compare this to GT6's Lancer Evo X GSR '07 (again Sports Hard tires, ABS set to 1):
gt6lancerstoppingdistwju86.png

GT6 stopping distances with the Lancer Evo X GSR:
80mph to zero: 42m (138feet)
100km/h(~60mph) to zero: 26m (85feet)

I think they overcorrected a bit too much.

Top Bottom