• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport Beta Thread

I'm sure nobody here will care, but when I said before that the braking distance seems a little long (wasn't sure if it's just the bad FOV that lead to my impression), I was right:

As 60mph-0mph is about the same even though the one below is an older Lancer, I guess the 80-0 stopping distance won't be very different:
2004lancervsimprezal7u4f.png

[194 feet are 59 meters, 112 feet are 34 meters]

Here is the braking distance from GT Sport's Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X Final Edition N300 (tires are Sports Hard, no ABS, 100% brake input and tires did not lock up at any time, which is weird, maybe it's because the Lancers AYC still works as an AID in the background):
gtsportbetastoppingdirqshc.png

Now compare this to GT6's Lancer Evo X GSR '07 (again Sports Hard tires, ABS set to 1):
gt6lancerstoppingdistwju86.png

GT6 stopping distances with the Lancer Evo X GSR:
80mph to zero: 42m (138feet)
100km/h(~60mph) to zero: 26m (85feet)

I think they overcorrected a bit too much.

1) Maybe difference in tire compounds despite being called the same.
2) People at Gt Planet were saying the same thing. Iirc they felt it changed/was fixed after 1.04 update?
3) Maybe tell PD via the beta forums or bug reports?

Interesting, no wonder my braking points are all off cock on Brands Hatch!

+1,

that's how I knew something must be wrong.

Edit:
3) Maybe tell PD via the beta forums or bug reports?

Just looked at it, it's pretty full right now(as in "they probably have server stuff to do right now") and not sure I should send it in as a bug report.

Edit2:
1) Maybe difference in tire compounds despite being called the same.
Well even the Gr.4 cars race on "Sports Hard" and they have rollcages, racing steering wheels, displays and from the sound of it non-helical gears like actual race cars that would normally only race on slicks. This should be at least as good a tire as you'd get from the dealership ...and according to Amar's GT5 Prologue tire table a Lancer could almost come with even better tires from a dealership.

Edit3:
Thinking about, the tire compound has nothing to do with it, no ABS, the deceleration curve is straight, I heard no tire lock-up (still have the video) and I pushed the brake down all the way 100%. At least on the Lancer, it's that the brakes aren't good enough.

UPDATE: Posted it on the GT Sport Playstation community forums, bet it's gonna be buried on page 10 soon, especially with all the people posting about connection problems and "my ffb is too low on *blabla-wheel* " (mine was fine strength-wise).

Got a few races in before it crashed on me and then the servers went down again so gave up for today.

Apart from the server issues the game seems solid. Graphics are really crisp and clean, it looks great on my 4k TV and the cars all look fantastic. The handling feels tight and it all seems to be running at a solid 60fps (playing on Pro) I like what I've played so far, looking forward to playing more.

Can you use an H-pattern gear shifter in this?

I have one, but on PS4 you need to plug it into the base, which I don't have on my T500.
But does it really not even work on a T300 or other wheels? Curious because my clutch pedal doesn't work... no burn outs for me :(

[and if so, is the clutch still terrible like an on-off button that's only on at 90% travel?]

psn

If someone has a spare or has no time to play the beta, I could use one :)

Maybe I can help with a diff beta or game.

andylsun

Can you use an H-pattern gear shifter in this?

I have one, but on PS4 you need to plug it into the base, which I don't have on my T500.
But does it really not even work on a T300 or other wheels? Curious because my clutch pedal doesn't work... no burn outs for me :(

[and if so, is the clutch still terrible like an on-off button that's only on at 90% travel?]

I use the H shifter with my T500 and it plugs directly into the PS4 not the T500. Works fine as long as the car has a H shift, so works with Lancer but not GT-R Nismo

Clutch isn't bad, only missed a couple of gear changes but yes requires nearly full travel. Would like to be able to manually set the bite point.

I wish I could voluntarily demote myself back to grade D. Won't even use the EVO any more, promise! Assuming the racing would be more enjoyable at C was not a wise idea on my part. It's all people waaaay faster than me, but the overall level of aggression and deliberate stupidity to try to ruin someone else's race to gain even 1 position is painful.

Of note, no ghosting after entering rank C, which dramatically increased the amount of contact. Not sure if this is deliberate or not. Would make some sense to hold the drivers more accountable at more advanced levels and assume they aren't bastards, but that's apparently a bit generous. Raising SR over 50 is going to be troublesome. Noooooooooo idea how I'm supposed to cut several seconds a lap off my qualifying times that kept me near the front in D. Even shaving down to my current times was a ton of effort. Effectively being one-make races are disappointing, but not surprising.

Love the 'Hatch, local circuit. ^^
Yup, that's a brand new player grade E race, if only 2 other people finished within the expiration time. Good job!

Daffy Duck

Is everyone here using a wheel?

Playing on a pad and the cars seems to have horrible turning characteristics, they seem to turn from the centre of the car and it's pretty horrible.

Graphics wise in game it's nothing special really.

It's enjoyable taking a car and trying to eek out that extra tenth of a second on your qualifying lap, I do certainly like the idea of this now I've played the beta, a game like this could be a lot of fun when you get really good and I now "get" the idea behind the game.

l2ounD

I love the sun at Willow especially with hdr, its such a good looking desert track.

And then going to Dragon Trail it feels a bit of a downgrade. Certain sections of the track look pretty good but the rest is kind of rough around the edges. I really hope there is another visual pass left for the track because layout wise I'm having lots of fun with it and the wide curbs.

Also I love the waiting for players screen;

Putty

Is everyone here using a wheel?

Playing on a pad and the cars seems to have horrible turning characteristics, they seem to turn from the centre of the car and it's pretty horrible.

Graphics wise in game it's nothing special really.

It's enjoyable taking a car and trying to eek out that extra tenth of a second on your qualifying lap, I do certainly like the idea of this now I've played the beta, a game like this could be a lot of fun when you get really good and I now "get" the idea behind the game.

Pad user, no idea r.e turning characteristics.....Pass......

Visually? No other console racer looks this good at 60fps but maybe thats just me...

Are we allowed to share images and videos?

Because quite frankly those that say this isn't anything special in the visual department need their eyes seeing to. Seriously.

danowat

Banned
Pad user, no idea r.e turning characteristics.....Pass......

Visually? No other console racer looks this good at 60fps but maybe thats just me...

It's not just you, the lighting itself is simply stunning, the whole IQ is top notch, not that GT has ever had an issue in this field.

Daffy Duck

It's not just you, the lighting itself is simply stunning, the whole IQ is top notch, not that GT has ever had an issue in this field.

Oh yeah the lightning is very good, just the graphics are not.

I got the GT M6 and on the oval track it looked really ropey.

ddikxela

Any G29 or gimx users in here??

Im running G27/GIMX but my h-pattern doesnt work(works for other games like Dirt Rally & Project Cars). I noticed a comment in here about a T500 user running their h pattern with no issue so wondering if this is a GIMX issue or perhaps it's a G29 issue since that is the hardware we are emulating.

c0de

Can we beg for codes here? I didn't get the email in Germany so if anyone has a Euro code for me, I'd be really happy to try the beta.

Xater

Really? Ingame the IQ is superb to my blind eyes...Compared to console versions of PCars, Assetto and Forza 6 the IQ is a clear step up....

If this being downscaled on my Pro I think as well that it's disappointing. There is still a lot of aliasing even on cars close by.

Putty

If this being downscaled on my Pro I think as well that it's disappointing. There is still a lot of aliasing even on cars close by.

There's aliasing on cars during certain parts of the menus, but in game itself it looks very good...IMO of course...

Top Bottom