• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport Beta Thread

Not true...especially with Megane class vehicles.

I'm watching the BTCC right now (great championship, by the way). It has FWD and RWD manufacturers. Has done since I can remember.

Oh wow, I thought they'd do rolling starts then. Just read up on it and they seem to balance the off-the-line disadvantage by forcing longer first gears on the RWD cars - interesting. Thanks

farisr

I did some qualifying races last night, and I think this is the first time I've actually been impressed by the visuals in an oval track and not consider it bland visually. They packed in a lot of detail off to the sides. Looks great in motion. And man have I missed how GT plays.

Putty

Willow Springs is a lovely looking track....

It really the Dragon track so far that they need to give it a once over...

Maybe a different TOD might paint it in a better light...

The oval track really has some issues when it comes to ghosting, probably due to overall speed. I seem to be able to cross opponents (sometimes on, sometimes off the ideal racing line) all the time, especially during the first section that requires you to brake.

And this is quite an advantage, because you can simply disregard your opponent who may try to close the lane, and force you to the outside.

Patrick S.

Banned
Did some extra qualifying to fill the driven distance quota to get today's free car. Game got stuck in an infinite loading loop. Restarted, no car given. Wasted twenty minutes for this.

Pachimari

Here's my starting cars:

H7EbF4J.jpg

I'm quite happy since I love me some Audi cars. I don't know if they are any good in races though.

cooldawn

Oh wow, I thought they'd do rolling starts then. Just read up on it and they seem to balance the off-the-line disadvantage by forcing longer first gears on the RWD cars - interesting. Thanks
I just love watching it because it's so close and competitive. It's a brilliant championship, lots of fun.

Nords GR3...oh yes.
So jealous.

Any idea how often they divvy out codes (daily or weekly, for instance)?

Man... I'm rubbish on the Ring, infact pretty bad all round haha 😂, though shaved a minute off my second run round. I think using my wheel may improve things, steering looks a little wobbly using a controller.

I've got a US beta code for the first one that quotes this. I tried to put it in my Canadian account but I think I need to log into the US one. And I'm lazy and just want to wait for the release anyway.

I'll PM the code.

Sebmugi

The nurb 'is just fantastic in play is disturbing photorealism .. ditto for Willow Springs: ouch: la c'est la claque ^^

170416090802718042.png

170416090751724547.png

170416090749891159.png

17041609075966043.png

You can hear an announcer on Willow Springs over the PA system if you happen to go off track. That's mad attention to detail.

(I race with music off)

Patrick S.

Banned
The Schleife looks awesome in this game. And it's a joy to drive on with the Z4 GT3. I put the same combo on in Project Cars afterwards, and it felt really weird after playing it in Gran Turismo. No escaping shitty pad controls in PCars :(

seb

Banned
Man... I'm rubbish on the Ring, infact pretty bad all round haha 😂, though shaved a minute off my second run round. I think using my wheel may improve things, steering looks a little wobbly using a controller.

Same. It's the first time I notice how narrow it is too. The sense of speed is pretty great too, it felt like wipeout at times.

burn

Neo Member
The ring is so fun to drive with the Corvette and the WRX!

Shame about the connection problems. Hope the other players appear less twitchy on the final game, they are so distracting.

Nordschleife was the closest to having "having fun" I had so far with this Beta.
I can also pinpoint exactly why I didn't have fun:

- the bad FOV ruins my Nordschleife training from other sims (really, just an FOV slider that even allows some extreme values, and I could say "this is really fun", it's not so hard, PD!)

and,less important, but also:
- There is something with the tire model, where you get understeer when braking and turning (even with brake balance to the rear, brake balance doesn't really seem to work in this game). So due to this being quite unintuitive, I turn in too much (nothing happens, because of the understeer), but as I smoothly let off the brake, while still holding the too high steering angle, the understeer goes away and BOOM, heavy oversteer. GTS is not the only sim that has this, pCARS for example has this too (and worse), but I never had this in a GT game before. Assetto Corsa had this in some very few cars, but they dialed this out almost completely within the last year.
- What happened to to the different ABS settings you could choose from in the MFD? They kept TCS in there, but got rid of ABS? Why? With the default ABS you don't have to think about inside-wheel lock-up, very comfortable and doesn't seem to slow you down much either, but downhill, if you just floor the brake, you can still lock up the tires (at least from the sound of it, didn't check the replay).

Edit: Question

I have 3 Gr.3 cars right now, when I set a qualifying time in one car and then want to try another, will my old time from the first car be overwritten??

Tommi84

You mean a spotter via radio or some arrows pointing out if a car is close?
Why additional arrows if there's already 'blind-spot indicator' showing not only which side the car behind you is but alos how far?
You can see them here:
OfficialLiquidChick.gif

Specifically in those two places marked:
8b3tllA.jpg

Popsickles

No, they aren't, and no, you don't

Have you tried loading on an account that is not in the beta because I have and it gives you a message that this account is not authorised to play the beta. Sure you can redeam and download but it wont let you play unless your account is whitelisted

I just love watching it because it's so close and competitive. It's a brilliant championship, lots of fun.
I tried to get into DTM once, didn't stick. Just last year got back into F1. I'll look into how I could watch BTCC here in germany, even if not live. Lots of british tracks that I love. Thanks again.

Specifically in those two places marked:
[...]
I just posted because I want the spotter-guy over the radio, I like it in games like Automobilista and iRacing (which I only get to hear on youtube, but still, I like it).
Also, there is no look-left, look-right for wheel users without a stick, or did I get that wrong too.

I'll restrain myself from saying my Nordschleife times here.

Racing around the ring is the closest graphics have ever been to real life in a racing game, I mean goddamn its incredible.

And this is just a beta.............

DieH@rd

Banned
Racing around the ring is the closest graphics have ever been to real life in a racing game, I mean goddamn its incredible.

And this is just a beta.............

Heh, I personally think that many visual elements are quite poor, but overall fell is good. For example, grass around the track just a flat texture. I hope that will be fixed.

The track would look better if they chose different lightning. Full daylight can sometimes produce unflattering results.

Niks

REally enjoying the dragon trail track layout.

Really glad they didnt went with a wacky layout like some other original tracks in the past.

Just finished my first lap of the ring without crashing. 7min55sec with the Audi. Then I look at the leaderboards and I'm over a minute slower than the top times :p

Sigh, I can see me getting that down 30 seconds with time due to a few dodgy corners, but not much more.

From watching Marvin's videos everyone was telling him to stop using driving aids at the beginning. To what extent do the top players do this?

I'm using traction control 1, steer off, brake assist off, abs mild, manual gears, default brake balance, but does all this stuff actually make you faster when you get used to it or is it just for more 'fun'. It certainly feels more fun, far more lively and 'in control' but I wonder what the top times have on/off.

Secondly, I've done no tweaking/tuning, but from watching a few youtube videos, some good players seem to go in and mess with camber and ride height. How much difference does this make? Does it just effect driving feel or does it reduce times? If it affects speed, i'm really not a fan of having to do that just to 'keep up'. For an online competitive game everyone should just be some stock setting, no?

Anyway, exhilarating and exciting to play now, ring is brilliant fun. Love using the faster cars, and Dragon's Trail is a really fun track too. Willow is pretty and also very nice to drive on.

danowat

Banned
Have you tried loading on an account that is not in the beta because I have and it gives you a message that this account is not authorised to play the beta. Sure you can redeam and download but it wont let you play unless your account is whitelisted

Of course I have, that's how I know, and I know of at least one other person in this thread doing exactly the same.

Top Bottom