• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport Beta Thread

Putty

Just had a super clean race....Not a jittery mess....really superb all the way through....

My first race since Saturday...

Matched twice successfully. Connection is pretty poor though.

First time I got in at all and wasn't disconnected, 5th attempt in total. This is from my warm-up:
connectionstutterezu37.gif

Can't say if it was different or worse during the race, started in first. Finished 2nd because I went off once after mis-clutching (that damn clutch "simulation" from the stone-age in GT!!! That was some anti-cheat measure back in the day, right? That you had to press the pedal so far and there is no real bite-point before).

Ardenyal

Third race and it was pretty good lagwise. No teleports despite everyone being from all over EU. Wonder what is causing some races to be completely unplayable.

Well just got my 1st race in. Finished 7th. Take that as I've had very limited time over this weekend. Wow, some are insanely good already. Wish I understood car setups :)

Putty

Gutted....1st on grid...Dragon....was in 4th gear off the line....recovered to be 3rd end of lap 2....catching quickly, lack of concentration fucks mecup...finish 5th....not quite as smooth as earlier race....90% of cars we good, 10% a bit jittery....

Gutted....1st on grid...Dragon....was in 4th gear off the line....

Happens me, bug maybe? seems to be in whatever gear you left warm up in. Testing now. I went from 2nd to last earlier because i started in 6th gear. Of course this only happens if you have manual gears on.

I had a revelation earlier where I turned the traction control down to 1 and realised I actually prefer cars that don't feel just as stuck to the track.

coiler

EU beta is damn hard. All races I started in were with 10 or more guys that had +/- times from the top of the leaderbord. With me 3s slower qualy lap all I could do is gain 2-3 places and finish 7-10. That wouldn't be a problem but I see my driver level decreased with that :/

edit: Its not the first time that in the online race my car is like 3s slower per lap than it normally is, did you guys have had something like that, or its the stress that is killing me ;)

Funny how online races force me to make beginners mistakes in corners I usually don't screw up in. 5th on the ring. Not bad. And I backed up into the starting field because I pushed the triangle button in the pre race animation.:p

EU beta is damn hard. All races I started in were with 10 or more guys that had +/- times from the top of the leaderbord. With me 3s slower qualy lap all I could do is gain 2-3 places and finish 7-10. That wouldn't be a problem but I see my driver level decreased with that :/

edit: Its not the first time that in the online race my car is like 3s slower per lap than it normally is, did you guys have had something like that, or its the stress that is killing me ;)

I have the same feeling. But later on it seems to settle. Just the tension I guess.;)

farisr

I want a new GT badly but I am not sure if Sport is for me, don't care about online, gutted.
Yeah, I have the beta. Did a few qualifying laps and it felt so good. But yeah, without a proper SP, and a dynamic ToD for tracks, this is pretty much a no purchase situation for me. And it sucks cause I haven't played a GT game since 5.

kvn

Gutted....1st on grid...Dragon....was in 4th gear off the line....recovered to be 3rd end of lap 2....catching quickly, lack of concentration fucks mecup...finish 5th....not quite as smooth as earlier race....90% of cars we good, 10% a bit jittery....

The fuck is your writing style.

Ardenyal

I noticed the slower lap times in race at least once today. Matching my quali time seemed impossible no matter what. Next race I was doing consistent lap times matching my qualification. Could be some kind of balancing feature adding more weight to your car.

Anyone else find the aero tuning odd? The more front downforce I add, the more the car understeers. I can run lowest rear down force in every car and never lose the back. If anything, the cars seem to turn in better with less front downforce. If you go max front, min rear, the car understeers like crazy in high speed corners where I would expect it to oversteer. The drag is at least correct, but the effects on handling seem to be really off.

Jesus... Nurburg. What a mess. Juddery cars everywhere, can't help but hit em when they jump unexpected infront of you, my SR rating hit an all time low thanks to being hit several times and pushed off track. I managed to crawl from last back to 14th but still...

coiler

Jesus... Nurburg. What a mess. Juddery cars everywhere, can't help but hit em when they jump unexpected infront of you, my SR rating hit an all time low thanks to being hit several times and pushed off track. I managed to crawl from last back to 14th but still...

Had this several times. Did slow down to not hit the car and than got hit from behind by a guy that didn't care :/

I just started 1st and finished 1st on the Nordschleife race, but the car felt different and there was even some choppyness to the framerate and feel times. Like the physics engine couldn't deliver at a constant pace.

Maybe 18 players on a cpu/gpu demanding track is a bit much?!?? Can't have been the slipstream that was mentioned earlier... also wasn't understeer, felt like slightly less overall grip?! Hard to describe
I then forced myself to take it easy and drive it home, 16 seconds slower than my qualifying time, better than 8 seconds slower would not have been possible I think.

Something else:
There were 18 guys in the race, the results table only showed 8 times on it. 9 guys without time and 1 DNF.

Does the race just end for everyone who is a minute slower than the guy in first?!?? How shit is that for a race on the Nordschleife?? ...at least until the DR and SR have sorted players out that's really not cool.

Anyone else find the aero tuning odd? The more front downforce I add, the more the car understeers. I can run lowest rear down force in every car and never lose the back. If anything, the cars seem to turn in better with less front downforce. If you go max front, min rear, the car understeers like crazy in high speed corners where I would expect it to oversteer. The drag is at least correct, but the effects on handling seem to be really off.
I'll try this tomorrow.

Putty

I just started 1st and finished 1st on the Nordschleife race, but the car felt different and there was even some choppyness to the framerate and feel times. Like the physics engine couldn't deliver at a constant pace.

Maybe 18 players on a cpu/gpu demanding track is a bit much?!?? Can't have been the slipstream that was mentioned earlier... also wasn't understeer, felt like slightly less overall grip?! Hard to describe
I then forced myself to take it easy and drive it home, 16 seconds slower than my qualifying time, better than 8 seconds slower would not have been possible I think.

Something else:
There were 18 guys in the race, the results table only showed 8 times on it. 9 guys without time and 1 DNF.

Does the race just end for everyone who is a minute slower than the guy in first?!?? How shit is that for a race on the Nordschleife?? ...at least until the DR and SR have sorted players out that's really not cool.

I'll try this tomorrow.

I noticed as well. Was in the 458 and was generally happy with my qualy time. Come the race it felt more twitchy...maybe the car setups failed to initialise or something like that? I didn't notice any frame rate hitches mind.

Had this several times. Did slow down to not hit the car and than got hit from behind by a guy that didn't care :/

It was about a 5 car pile up including me (causing me to spin out and hit a wall). Was basically after leaving the grid area into the first tree/greeny bit. Unfortunately I'm not that fast anyway and get stuck with those who are happy to slam into each other or who have shoddy connections it seems, but this pile up hit me 14th to 17th out of 18.

Oh and yea I didn't get to finish the race due to being so slow behind the leader, just ends it.

I noticed as well. Was in the 458 and was generally happy with my qualy time. Come the race it felt more twitchy...maybe the car setups failed to initialise or something like that? I didn't notice any frame rate hitches mind.

Yeah, not sure if we are getting the secret different track conditions in online races like we did in early GT5 again. Def something that makes the cars feel different during online races that seems to be more than aero wash.

coiler

Something else:

I'll try this tomorrow.
There has to be something going on. GTR feels front heavy but not as heavy .

l2ounD

Yeah, not sure if we are getting the secret different track conditions in online races like we did in early GT5 again. Def something that makes the cars feel different during online races that seems to be more than aero wash.

I lose grip when behind cars all the time, especially with the high spec race cars. I havent noticed it much when front running but on Willow when following a car wot through those long sweeps my backend would get squirrely sometimes when alone I would be fine. Its really hard for me to tell when it will happen too.

I lose grip when behind cars all the time, especially with the high spec race cars. I havent noticed it much when front running but on Willow when following a car wot through those long sweeps my backend would get squirrely sometimes when alone I would be fine. Its really hard for me to tell when it will happen too.

Based on some posts in the official forums, they did finally add aero wash, so you should feel something when behind cars in corners now. Some cars and tracks it felt really exaggerated. The over all track grip feels different in online races though. Either the tire model is changing or we are back to early GT5 where online had different track grip levels than all the other modes. Remember how we had to make a private online lobby to practice racing for the GAF league because you would have a completely different setup and lap times racing offline even on the same track, same time of day. It feels similar to that.

Based on some posts in the official forums, they did finally add aero wash, so you should feel something when behind cars in corners now. Some cars and tracks it felt really exaggerated. The over all track grip feels different in online races though. Either the tire model is changing or we are back to early GT5 where online had different track grip levels than all the other modes. Remember how we had to make a private online lobby to practice racing for the GAF league because you would have a completely different setup and lap times racing offline even on the same track, same time of day. It feels similar to that.
If I had to put my money on something, it's that the physics rate skips frames or at least I'd say that was part of my experience.
My other 3 races felt normal to me (though I still suck and Dragon... Dragon... I don't even remember the name of that track, anyway I'm not familiar enough to fully judge if it's 100% the same as in qualifying).

If I had to put my money on something, it's that the physics rate skips frames or at least I'd say that was part of my experience.
My other 3 races felt normal to me (though I still suck and Dragon... Dragon... I don't even remember the name of that track, anyway I'm not familiar enough to fully judge if it's 100% the same as in qualifying).

It's tough to replicate and nail down. Nevertheless, something is going on that doesn't feel great.

Putty

Cracking detail i never noticed before. Looking at my VW VGT Ring replay the driver is bouncing about all over the pace...looks very realistic and also your camera movment is tracked by his head 8)

Here's that video I mentioned earlier on, time was 6:57 I think.. recorded via my elgato HD60 so the quality should be good enough for ya. :)

*Shifted to next page*

Top Bottom