• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport Beta Thread

mmMC4Nc.gif

Is that GT Sport? Looks real lol

DJ88

I think I've come to the conclusion that Polyphony has mastered the art of emulating how a camera works in a video game. The games graphics are amazing on their own during gameplay, but when it's seen through the lens of their virtual cameras, with a spot on way of displaying motion, handling lighting/exposure, replicating colors, it's fucking real life.

Putty

I think I've come to the conclusion that Polyphony has mastered the art of emulating how a camera works in a video game. The games graphics are amazing on their own during gameplay, but when it's seen through the lens of their virtual cameras, with a spot on way of displaying motion, handling lighting/exposure, replicating colors, it's fucking real life.

Hard not to agree, though ingame there are some things they can improve, the Dragon track in the main, though it's one hell of a track to play! I'm really impressed the beta hasn't got Pro support, so some of the things that i think they can improve on i expect them to do so...

farisr

Hard not to agree, though ingame there are some things they can improve, the Dragon track in the main, though it's one hell of a track to play! I'm really impressed the beta hasn't got Pro support, so some of the things that i think they can improve on i expect them to do so...
It does have weirdly partial Pro support. Replays on the standard ps4 are apparently limited to 30fps, whereas on the Pro they are 60. That's what I've heard anyway.

Speaking of which:

GT Sport - Replay - Willow Springs Raceway - Lotus Evora '09 (Gamersyde Link + Download, 35Mbps)
GT Sport - Replay - Dragon Trail : Seaside - Nissan GT-R (Gamersyde Link + Download, 35 Mbps)
GT Sport - Replay - Nurburgring Nordschleife - Peugeot VGT (Gamersyde Link + Download, 22 Mbps)

Sorry for the crappy driving. Was basically my 2nd lap on these tracks, Using a pad, and I was trying to be as "replay appropriate" as possible.

Melfice7

Cant believe i didnt noticed pressing on the D pad theres a ton of options like a radar instead of track map, time information by sectors, traction control settings on the fly, brake balance, torque distribution and fuel map

danowat

Banned
Cant believe i didnt noticed pressing on the D pad theres a ton of options like a radar instead of track map, time information by sectors, traction control settings on the fly, brake balance, torque distribution and fuel map

Yeah, it's a very nice addition.

danowat

Banned
Is there a list of what cars are in the prize pool for the beta?

I got another Gr.3 car this morning, the Subaru, could really do with a new N300 one!

Putty

It does have weirdly partial Pro support. Replays on the standard ps4 are apparently limited to 30fps, whereas on the Pro they are 60. That's what I've heard anyway.

Speaking of which:

GT Sport - Replay - Willow Springs Raceway - Lotus Evora '09
GT Sport - Replay - Dragon Trail : Seaside - Nissan GT-R
GT Sport - Replay - Nurburgring Nordschleife - Peugeot VGT

Waiting on blimblim's approval for higher quality gamersyde links. Also, sorry for the crappy driving. Was basically my 2nd lap on these tracks, Using a pad, and I was trying to be as "replay appropriate" as possible.

interesting. Maybe they should have stuck to 30 as on Pro there's frame rate issues with a number of cars in view...

Mascot

I'm enjoying the beta for the hot-lapping but the online experience still isn't anywhere near fit for purpose (I know - it's a beta), so I've lost my patience with that side of things until it improves.

The graphics are good and the driving feels good, but after hot-swapping between GTS, Assetto Corsa and Project Cars over the weekend I think several key areas need serious attention before launch for GTS to keep pace with its competitors:

• Wheel FFB is really lame by any metric, even cranked up the maximum. There's little detail and only low levels of force, and some of the canned effects are very weird and counterintuitive (eg wheel oscillations while driving straight on a perfectly smooth and flat road) .
  • Car sounds are improved over previous GTs but still WAY behind the curve, and it makes for quite an impassive and emotionless overall experience. Apart from the lack of detail and missing layers, the audio is just insipid, and lacking any depth. I can barely get GTS to activate the transducers for any meaningful feedback though my racing rig. For example, In AC and pCARS I can feel rumble strips through my seat. In GTS, there's nothing no matter how loud I crank it up.
  • The horrible PoV and Morlock interiors make using cockpit view an unpleasant experience, and that's even totally ignoring the inability to remove the arms and wheel like in all other self-respecting sims. So that leaves chase-cam (no thanks), some weird roof-mounted view like you're looking through a Google Street Maps camera (no thanks), or the bumper cam (it'll have to do).
I know this is just a beta so hopefully these things are still WiP, but I've got a nasty feeling that what we see is what we will get. I'm not as blown away by the in-game graphics as others in this thread are either, although the menus and replays are sublime. It's good to finally see a GT game with a smooth frame rate again, but both AC and pCARS are a rock-solid 60fps on the PS Pro now, and both also look fantastic while driving on the track. Any differences between the three in this area are so small they are meaningless to me. I certainly won't be buying GTS because I'm wowed by the visuals, but I probably will end up getting it as an alternative sim to Assetto Corsa and pCARS 2, assuming large strides are made with the net code.

DieH@rd

Banned
I think I'm done with GTSport beta for now. I don't enjoy playing with the gamepad.

I'll order GIMX and play full version of GTS when it arrives.

dc89

Sunhi's GIF's make me want a new GT V Forza thread. Like the one of old.
Unless one already exists and someone points me in the right direction.

I'm enjoying the beta for the hot-lapping but the online experience still isn't anywhere near fit for purpose (I know - it's a beta), so I've lost my patience with that side of things until it improves.

The graphics are good and the driving feels good, but after hot-swapping between GTS, Assetto Corsa and Project Cars over the weekend I think several key areas need serious attention before launch for GTS to keep pace with its competitors:

• [*]Wheel FFB is really lame by any metric, even cranked up the maximum. There's little detail and only low levels of force, and some of the canned effects are very weird and counterintuitive (eg wheel oscillations while driving straight on a perfectly smooth and flat road) .
  • Car sounds are improved over previous GTs but still WAY behind the curve, and it makes for quite an impassive and emotionless overall experience. Apart from the lack of detail and missing layers, the audio is just insipid, and lacking any depth. I can barely get GTS to activate the transducers for any meaningful feedback though my racing rig. For example, In AC and pCARS I can feel rumble strips through my seat. In GTS, there's nothing no matter how loud I crank it up.
  • The horrible PoV and Morlock interiors make using cockpit view an unpleasant experience, and that's even totally ignoring the inability to remove the arms and wheel like in all other self-respecting sims. So that leaves chase-cam (no thanks), some weird roof-mounted view like you're looking through a Google Street Maps camera (no thanks), or the bumper cam (it'll have to do).
I know this is just a beta so hopefully these things are still WiP, but I've got a nasty feeling that what we see is what we will get. I'm not as blown away by the in-game graphics as others in this thread are either, although the menus and replays are sublime. It's good to finally see a GT game with a smooth frame rate again, but both AC and pCARS are a rock-solid 60fps on the PS Pro now, and both also look fantastic while driving on the track. Any differences between the three in this area are so small they are meaningless to me. I certainly won't be buying GTS because I'm wowed by the visuals, but I probably will end up getting it as an alternative sim to Assetto Corsa and pCARS 2, assuming large strides are made with the net code.

Havent kept up with your wheel escapades, which one are you using?

Putty

PS4 Pro managing 60fps in replay means it can also do that in game mode with all those extra bells and whistles. Exciting.

No, it slows down quite a bit when a number of cars are on, but i've also had slowdown on the Oval with just my car...

c0de

PS4 Pro managing 60fps in replay means it can also do that in game mode with all those extra bells and whistles. Exciting.

What? How do you come to that? Replay mode means you have extra resources to spend and that's why replay mode more and more looks way better than gameplay. The implication goes the other way - if Pro would be able to hit 60 fps with extra bells and whistles, it can do that easily in replay mode.

Mascot

Havent kept up with your wheel escapades, which one are you using?

I've still got the Fanatec CSR Elite with the Formula rim. It's brilliant. I was thinking I would have to change it after Sony started gimping unofficial support but CronusMAX stepped in and saved the day.

I find the Formula rim helps a lot with FFB feel - more detail seems to come through than with the standard rim.

The CSR-E works natively with pCARS on PS4 but for Assetto and GTS its chained through a CronusMAX, emulating a G29. This doesn't affect the FFB though. I've tried pCARS both ways and it feels identical. Assetto is fantastic with it. GTS feels weak and muffled, so it must be the game, not the hardware.

Forgot about the cronus max, questioning if I should grab one since I still have my fanatec pwts. I guess I'll wait till the smoke clears on GTS.

Mascot

Forgot about the cronus max, questioning if I should grab one since I still have my fanatec pwts. I guess i wait till the smoke clears on GTS.

It's worth it for Assetto Corsa in the meantime, assuming you have a PS Pro and can activate boost mode for 60fps loveliness.

Putty

Perhaps Digital Foundry got a beta key - we shouldn't rely on personal experience when it comes to fps. This was wrong way too often in the past.

I'm happy i can see the drops with my own eyes of course, but if peep's are unsure then yes, best to wait...8)

Putty

More time shaving achieved this morning on WS and Dragon...There's only Denur ahead of me from my GAF chums and the margin is rather small...Wonder how much i'd shave off with a wheel...

Onto the Ring, just got the AMG as my daily so we'll see how that fares...

Putty

The drops are definitely there in replays on the Pro. It's not even in doubt.

Yep...It's not something that bothers me tbh as ingame itself it's a different matter...I imagine there will be some improvement come release but we'll see...The replays sure are lookers mind and it would be great to get the FPS closer to 60 more of the time. The motion blur and DOF are spectacular during them that they are probably the cause...

Mascot

Dan, did you ever get your own beta key? If not, I'm thinking that we might never get one now that our accounts are already playing the game. Shame - I'd like to gift my code to somebody.

Top Bottom