• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport Beta Thread

cooldawn

I tried to get into DTM once, didn't stick. Just last year got back into F1. I'll look into how I could watch BTCC here in germany, even if not live. Lots of british tracks that I love. Thanks again.
The official BTCC website - http://www.btcc.net
itv Hub (broadcaster) - http://www.itv.com/btcc

Just for reference...I missed the first two races today (F1 was on) but the last race, completely rain soaked, the FWD Honda Civic was dominant. In the dry RWD BMW's would more than likely be really competitive.

Just finished my first lap of the ring without crashing. 7min55sec with the Audi. Then I look at the leaderboards and I'm over a minute slower than the top times :p

Sigh, I can see me getting that down 30 seconds with time due to a few dodgy corners, but not much more.

From watching Marvin's videos everyone was telling him to stop using driving aids at the beginning. To what extent do the top players do this?

I'm using traction control 1, steer off, brake assist off, abs mild, manual gears, default brake balance, but does all this stuff actually make you faster when you get used to it or is it just for more 'fun'. It certainly feels more fun, far more lively and 'in control' but I wonder what the top times have on/off.

Secondly, I've done no tweaking/tuning, but from watching a few youtube videos, some good players seem to go in and mess with camber and ride height. How much difference does this make? Does it just effect driving feel or does it reduce times? If it affects speed, i'm really not a fan of having to do that just to 'keep up'. For an online competitive game everyone should just be some stock setting, no?

Anyway, exhilarating and exciting to play now, ring is brilliant fun. Love using the faster cars, and Dragon's Trail is a really fun track too. Willow is pretty and also very nice to drive on.

TC is a tricky one. Sometimes it can save you from oversteering and wasting time but it can also slow you're corner entries and exits.

I usually leave it at 0 unless the car is very tail happy.

Tuning is a massive part in getting to the top of the leaderboards. Pretty sure everyone there has tuned the car in some way.

Putty

TC is a tricky one. Sometimes it can save you from oversteering and wasting time but it can also slow you're corner entries and exits.

I usually leave it at 0 unless the car is very tail happy.

Tuning is a massive part in getting to the top of the leaderboards. Pretty sure everyone there has tuned the car in some way.
Yep, 110% guaranteed peeps are messing around...I'd love a better car for the ring race but alas...

dracula_x

PUaOEvS.gif

Do EU and NA leadboards cross populate for top scores? Do friend's list work across regions for times? I need some people to TT against since the current race schedule is nearly impossible for me to get a race in, so just good ol' solo lapping for me until they change the schedule again.

Add me if you want some laptime comparions. psn = gutterboy44

IISANDERII

glad i got into the beta to see the game in action.

im not a big fan. maybe because if this system theyre trying out or something. online races do not look good to me. i have a beast of a connection and it says i have 112ms latency? all the cars were dacing on the track. cant think of another word for it. it looked like every car was going left-right every other second with some frames lost in between like a semi teleport. i was trying to avoid crashing but, surprise, there was no car there the next second so i braked for nothing or swerve for nothing or so on so on.

love the menu, the graphics look alright, in action its nothing ground breaking, the replays are something else though.

i think its the "sport" part which is the biggest downside for me. obviously its not open world, its not dirt or nfs but i feel like its too rigorous. too many rules, not enough fun. again, my opinion. i can see why this game is going to be popular though.

nobody was fairplay, not even the first guy. crashing into one another right from the start. driving side by side in brands on the long straight you could see how everyone was trying to drive the other drivers off the road.

not for me.
My experience has been ultra smooth, my ping is usually 58 and I have a cheap internet plan for Canada. Also, if you avoid crashing, your SR will adjust and you'll be grouped with similar drivers. I'm at 42SR and the racing is almost too polite lol

2scoops

Really liking Seaside, good mix of corners and i think the time of day is nice. Having a good time with the 4C on that track.

I'm sure I saw it mentioned somewhere in this thread that there was a certain criteria involved in being picked for the beta...

Does anyone know, or is it more or less a lottery when we all signed up? Just curious

Sorc3r3r

First and fast impression.
Great gfx.
Lacking sfx.
Still simcade.

The ffb in particular is way behind Assetto Corsa, the tuning still limited to the usual GT parameters.
Good but I'm not impressed.

Putty

Great gfx.
Lacking sfx.
Still simcade.

The ffb in particular is way behind Assetto Corsa, the tuning still limited to the usual GT parameters.

Good but not impressed?

IMO it's utter dogsh!t that i love...

danowat

Banned
I think the physics have taken liberties with certain things, like the way the car reacts over bumps and kerbs, it's not very realistic, but, with the esports focus I am probably ok with that.

It's better than previous GT's, but now I've had a bit more time with it, it's still not up to the levels of something like AC or maybe even PCars, although GT is great out of the box with a pad, so that is probably more of a focus.

Putty

I think the physics have taken liberties with certain things, like the way the car reacts over bumps and kerbs, it's not very realistic, but, with the esports focus I am probably ok with that.

It's better than previous GT's, but now I've had a bit more time with it, it's still not up to the levels of something like AC or maybe even PCars, although GT is great out of the box with a pad, so that is probably more of a focus.

With the kerbs/bumps, what do you mean specifically? On the back of playing the ring, they feel terrifying!

-hadouken

With the kerbs/bumps, what do you mean specifically? On the back of playing the ring, they feel terrifying!
Kerbs are definitely more forgiving than in GT6, but I like the balance that they've struck. Feels much better with the DS4 than I expected. GR3s on the 'ring - so much fun!

danowat

Banned
The car seems to float over them, GT has always had issues with the way cars react vertically, it's almost like the whole car floats over the kerb, rather than the suspension reacting to it, there is no difference in traction on the kerbs either.

Putty

Kerbs are definitely more forgiving than in GT6, but I like the balance that they've struck. Feels much better with the DS4 than I expected. GR3s on the 'ring - so much fun!

Ah right, i skipped 6 as PS4 launched of course. My Nurb time is now down to 7:25.5 with a theoretical 7:18...

I love the extra option you get on the Dpad...ONe of them being the split times....

I've said it before and i'll say it again this VW Vision car is the biggest handful i've encountered since i put my hand down my pants...

Putty

The car seems to float over them, GT has always had issues with the way cars react vertically, it's almost like the whole car floats over the kerb, rather than the suspension reacting to it, there is no difference in traction on the kerbs either.

Ah right...For me i think they are ....decent enough that i know i can't take advantage of them, especially on the Ring, but this may also have something to do with this bloody car...

No, they are less forgiving! I don't even remember spinning from a curb in GT6, I did this twice already in GTS (that the cars are more twitchy and the torque delivery is harsher probably also adds to that).

Still super far from iRacing. pCARS has overall too much grip, but the curbs feel about right in that game. AC... AC had a very long way to get to where they are now with how curbs affect grip. At tire model 3 they were still like GTS is now. Only at tire model 7 they got somewhat realistic and even in tire model 10 the game is still on the forgiving side for curbs (green strips outside a curb though, they are death incarnate in that game, no idea why).

Great gfx.
Lacking sfx.
Still simcade.

You're not wrong, but were you really thinking they'd get up to AC, ISI or iRacing standards? I found out that it's unhealthy to expect more simulation from Forza or GT. That way you can be surprised and happy if something is better than expected like DiRT Rally from the Codies for example. That there still isn't tire pressure surprised even my lowered expectations on the simulation side. Then again they give Active Yaw Control a try(not saying it's realistic, but nice that they tried) - I don't think any other game does that.
Anyway, my point is that the game is still fun, but you have to like it for what it is, not for what the marketing sells it as ...or for what some fanboys will certainly defend it as.

They really should add FOV options and look at that braking distance in production cars from N and Gr.4 class though. Kinda the only two things I'm still hoping for.

[for the record, for me a game is "sim" if it doesn't actively change physics from how they are in the real world, Forza and GT are sims for me.... if you'd look at it from how off a game is from the best current sims, then a ton of 15 year old sims suddenly would be simcade or even arcade racers]

Any good setting for the 458 Italia GT3? That thing is a handfull on the ring. The balance in the middle makes the car oversteer like mad when releasing the throttle while turning.

Changed from the Audi r8 GT3 car to the daily reward Hyundai, and took Tyler's (and others) advice to keep traction control up a bit and ABS default, got down from 7min55 to 7min30. I still messed up so 7min15 seems doable with practice now. (manual gears and the rest of the assists off).

I don't think I'll ever tweak camber and shit though, in fact I still don't like the idea of that going on in a competitive ranking online game, makes it too technical and unfair for casuals, when they are already behind on account of being casual and lacking the skills!

I kinda figured it out now though.

Kept the tsc at 3 and started upping the rear toe and camber. Lowering lcd acc seems to help lot too. Now I'm playing with the stabilizer bbalance to get a bit more out of it.

When was the last time you booted GT6? Try mounting the kerb flat out at kottenborn (Nordschleife). GT6 is much riskier for kerbs and off-road excursions (with "low grip" selected in track settings) in my view.

2 days ago and I stick to my opinion about curbs in GT6 vs GTS.

I fully agree on the off-road though, they just went with the normal standard setting from previous GT games. This surely will be abused on leaderboard times.

Mascot

Kaz keeps trolling the fuck out of me with the reward cars. I've been stuck in this group 4 Mustang barge for far too long now.

Today's reward car? Some fucking group 3 Peugeot super happy lucky fantasy spaceship monstrosity.

Jesus fuck!

That's four group 3 cars and only one N300 and one group 4. Dog-shit distribution algorithms, PD.

Watching more and more footage of this and it does look incredible but one thing I notice is that the AA looks quite poor. Is it disabled in the Beta?

Like when the car is spinning around before a match you can see all the aliasing ?

Putty

Watching more and more footage of this and it does look incredible but one thing I notice is that the AA looks quite poor. Is it disabled in the Beta?

Like when the car is spinning around before a match you can see all the aliasing ?

On Pro 1080p and image is very clean...

TJP

Thanks for the the updates gents!

As a PC sim racer who grw up with the GT series (just have an XBox for FH3), it is good to read about GT and how the beta is progressing. If PD get this rignt, the flow on effects could well be great for the genre.

I read the PRC blog (yes, I know it is shite) and the author was raving about the street cars being amazingly good to drive. He wasn't as smitten with the race cars but it was interesting in any case.

Cheers!

Jup, the Gt3 Corvette is my favourite until now. The M6 is nice but sometimes it just wants to punish. The 458 is a plain killer. The Corvette has a bit more understeer but as a result feels much more planted and predictable.

It's fine, it's only minimally better in FH3 imo. Driveclub was way worse in footage from a few months before release.

When I saw that i thought, maybe they can do 4k menus on all versions with supersampled cars. I mean, it's just one 3D model of a car that the GPU has to get done and it doesn't more detailed than the cars in replays.

Kaz keeps trolling the fuck out of me with the reward cars.

He must be quite fond of me, AMG GT3 on Saturday, today an Alfa 4C Gr.4.

I read the PRC blog (yes, I know it is shite) and the author was raving about the street cars being amazingly good to drive. He wasn't as smitten with the race cars but it was interesting in any case.

Well, at least you block that guys adds, haha ;D

My Gr.4 Alfa Romeo 4C is beautiful to drive, the Hyundai Genesis (and I speak here as a former Tiburon owner) not so much.

One of the cleaner looking titles with minimal AA I've seen, PS4 Pro 1080p here. There is some AA surrounding the car if there is dust blown up, as usual, but it's not bad at all, just that old familiar graphical deficit from a difficult effect.

Putty

Is the beta enhanced for the PS pro? It looks very good for an OG PS4 game, but it isn't as clean as you would expect from a PS4 pro game.

Honestly i think SOMETHING is going on in game itself...To my eyes it doesn't look like straight 1080p with AA...

And the worrying thing is IF it IS enhanced the replays suffer a noticeable dip in framerate quite a bit of the time, which i put squarely down to the fantastic DOF and motion blur...

If it ISN'T and my eyes are indeed failing me and there IS no Pro support yet, then technically it's in an excellent base position....

~If all that makes sense 8)

Honestly i think SOMETHING is going on in game itself...To my eyes it doesn't look like straight 1080p with AA...

And the worrying thing is IF it IS enhanced the replays suffer a noticeable dip in framerate quite a bit of the time, which i put squarely down to the fantastic DOF and motion blur...

If it ISN'T and my eyes are indeed failing me and there IS no Pro support yet, then technically it's in an excellent base position....

~If all that makes sense 8)
its not optimized for Pro at all...same resolution no matter what you're playing on.

My ping in the beta is 135. It seems too high. Usually my ping in other games ranges between 40 and 70. Anybody knows where EU GT servers are?

It feels like they are in the US.

Top Bottom