• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport Beta Thread

Patrick S.

Banned
Hypothetical: When will the day come that we have a racing sim games with realistic crashing physics and deformation???

Forza, GT, Project Cars, Assetto Corsa,etc none of them even seem to be trying this... sigh.

I know it's possible, GTA IV even even did it pretty well. Beam.NG Drive is a great example. It seems like the way these devs are doing simulation focused driving physics doesn't gel with realistic crashing physics (Let alone destruction like Beam.NG).

pCARS 1 is already really good with this. I don't think it's going to get much better than that for a while.

Sebmugi

170503061946121045.png

170503061938684327.png

170503061931664832.png

170503061933484829.png

Putty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p29iI4N1YaQ

Dragon before and after....Some things added, some things removed, the whole Monacoesque portion see's the most change. The background mountains is different also but very hard to get a clear picture on this small vid. Also, us EU knuckle grinders are yet to have Dragon pop up in the race line up...

Patrick S.

Banned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p29iI4N1YaQ

Dragon before and after....Some things added, some things removed, the whole Monacoesque portion see's the most change. The background mountains is different also but very hard to get a clear picture on this small vid. Also, us EU knuckle grinders are yet to have Dragon pop up in the race line up...

I'm in Germany and have raced on Dragon tail several days already, and in different classes.

mazillion

pCARS 1 is already really good with this. I don't think it's going to get much better than that for a while.

Eh I don't think Project Cars looks right tbh. I think the trickiest thing to simulate is the rolling and flipping around, high speed crashes would send your car rolling and flipping many times over.

In games like this your car seems to want be right-side up and sticking to the ground at all times. As soon as your wheels leave the ground the physics get weird.

Not a huge complain but it is immersion breaking, i guess there is still a lot of room for improvement in the future of realistic racing games.

Hux1ey

Banned
Hypothetical: When will the day come that we have a racing sim games with realistic crashing physics and deformation???

Forza, GT, Project Cars, Assetto Corsa,etc none of them even seem to be trying this... sigh.

I know it's possible, GTA IV even even did it pretty well. Beam.NG Drive is a great example. It seems like the way these devs are doing simulation focused driving physics doesn't gel with realistic crashing physics (Let alone destruction like Beam.NG).

Dirt Rally is probably the best from what I know of.

Patrick S.

Banned
Eh I don't think Project Cars looks right tbh. I think the trickiest thing to simulate is the rolling and flipping around, high speed crashes would send your car rolling and flipping many times over.

In games like this your car seems to want be right-side up and sticking to the ground at all times. As soon as your wheels leave the ground the physics get weird.

Not a huge complain but it is immersion breaking, i guess there is still a lot of room for improvement in the future of realistic racing games.

Perhaps flipping your car over multiple times in cockpit view would drop framerates on everything but the fatest machines into single digits. Or maybe it's just very hard to get right, and they employ the dev time in other things that are of higher priority.

Awesome that the races are 24/7 now. I stopped playing because the time change they did prior to EU launch didn't work with my schedule at all, and hot lapping is boring as fuck. Curious to see how the aero changes feel. I also hope that means BoP has been adjusted and we have moved beyond the Evo/GTR meta.

Crashes will be more fun now.

Realistic.....never. Looking realistic consistently, hopefully this or next gen. Like you say, its just not a big focus.

Are you talking about in the Beta or what's going to be in the final release? They've revealed the WRX and the NSX/NSX-GT3 so far.

I'm still confident on a August/September release window.
Final release do we have an updated number of cars and tracks now since the delay?

Patrick S.

Banned
Racing on the Northern Isle oval is just AWFUL. Just did a race there, and the idiots I got put up against didn't even TRY to race on anything resembling a racing line. They just swerve left and right all the fucking time, and any overtaking is impossible without them smashing into you trying to wipe you out. Started 5th, ended 10th because motherfuckers kept bumping into me.

That blinking BRAKE text in the middle of your screen is the most PD thing I have ever seen. What the fuck were they thinking? Jesus christ.

On the positive side, the cars are way more grippy (not sure this is good sim wise, but it at least makes more of the cars viable for top times) The other good thing is that the swimming pool-esque chicane in Dragontrail moved the barriers up to the curbing. Much better now. High risk high reward. No more gaming the corner cutting system. You could cheat it by bouncing over it. It would only register a cut corner if your wheels touched out of bounds.

I'll hook up my wheel later but first impressions are mixed. At the very least they are doing some thing during the beta.

That blinking BRAKE text in the middle of your screen is the most PD thing I have ever seen. What the fuck were they thinking? Jesus christ.
This is my only substantive complaint with the GUIs and HUDs in new version. The red flashy gear recommendation icon is actually my favorite passive assist solution in any racing game, but this is silly. The idea is to make the game as ridiculously welcoming to new players as possible without having to learn the details of every last track, but, yeah, the old system was fine.

This is my only substantive complaint with the GUIs and HUDs in new version. The red flashy gear recommendation icon is actually my favorite passive assist solution in any racing game, but this is silly. The idea is to make the game as ridiculously welcoming to new players as possible without having to learn the details of every last track, but, yeah, the old system was fine.

One tiny toggle in the options menu and it would be a non issue. I just don't see why making that a mandatory indicator for all views was seen as a good idea by anyone on that team. Moreover, it tells you to brake excessively early, even in flat out corners.

After switching the hud off I've come to realize that my reliance on the indicator was greater than I'd thought. It might not be the same as a driving line but it still makes me less aware of trackside clues for braking points. The new BRAKE indicator is excactly the same but just more obnoxious.

Mascot

Anyone tried resetting their PS4 clock to repeatedly tick past midnight so that more than one car a day can be earned? It works, apparently.

Mush

Final release do we have an updated number of cars and tracks now since the delay?
Not yet, I'd say we're waiting for an E3 blowout that (hopefully) will push the car count out to at least 250+

Edit: 250? OK that might be a little ambitious. I'm hoping for 200 minimum.

Anyone tried resetting their PS4 clock to repeatedly tick past midnight so that more than one car a day can be earned? It works, apparently.
I did it and it worked. In my experience, you can´t manually set the clock. But if you change the time zone, once it reaches 00.00, you automatically get a new car.

Kaze13

Is it me or...did they make the game look a whole lot better after the update? Improved lighting or something. Looks stunning even on my paltry 720p Westinghouse. Also, I want to see more GTS peeps on my leaderboard. Add me folks! PSN: Kaze13

xrnzaaas

An evolving track is pretty important IMO.

Even when the game doesn't offer a full weather and time progression? ;)

Anyway I didn't mean to sound like a PD hater, it just really bothers me that they can't seem to get their priorities straight. Or at least my priority list would be so much different. ;)

I guess i've maxed out the different cars you can get in the beta because for the past three days i've only unlocked dupes. So, that would be 36 different cars you're able to unlock.

Putty

Some of the texture work is fantastic. The thing i like most is that its not clinical....it all looks weathered....natural....

Sebmugi

Some of the texture work is fantastic. The thing i like most is that its not clinical....it all looks weathered....natural....

Yes the textures are divine <3 The AA is also a strong point, the shadows remains the weak point :/

Camera control with the right stick isn't jittery anymore, yay. But the camera isn't movable in the external view, nay.
Yes the external view control with the right stick does not work since the new update..

Nice! How do you remove the mirror in bumper cam?

For the external view without the rearview mirror, I am in rear view (which zoom a little) or with the analog stick ;)

Perhaps flipping your car over multiple times in cockpit view would drop framerates on everything but the fatest machines into single digits. Or maybe it's just very hard to get right, and they employ the dev time in other things that are of higher priority.

also some car manufacturers won't allow you to show their vehicles rolling over.

I've heard this a lot of times. AFAIK, there are also manufacturers that don't allow/didn't allow any kind of visual damage on their cars at all.

We've probably all heard it I'm just wondering if there are any demonstrable examples of manufacturers who's cars can't be rolled over or damaged in games where other cars can.

benzy

For the external view without the rearview mirror, I am in rear view (which zoom a little) or with the analog stick ;)

Man, I sent in a request to remove HUD and rear-view mirror options in bumper cam on the beta forums. Got the HUD options but no options to disable mirror. :/ I dont understand the point in forcing it in bumpercam when they don't even force it in hood view.

Patrick S.

Banned
We've probably all heard it I'm just wondering if there are any demonstrable examples of manufacturers who's cars can't be rolled over or damaged in games where other cars can.

Here.

I know The Getaway isn't liked too much around these parts but it was the first game I worked on...

Yes, the cars in game were totally wreckable, but the ordeal everyone had to go through to get the manufactures to agree to it was immense. The Japanese car companies were more than happy to have anything happen to their cars as long as they received a free copy of the game. Europe was vastly different, lots of nos, buts and ifs that we had to satisfy, along with lots of money to be changed hands. Eventually BMW pulled out because they weren't happy with how much we trashed their cars... then Mercedes and Porsche followed.

Since then I've had to work with BMW twice more and they're very strict with their vehicle damage. They do not allow their cars to deform in any way that may harm the driver or passengers inside, for instance, doors will not crumple and no part of the vehicle can be pushed into the interior where it might hurt someone.

All in all, it's a complete legal minefield where developers have to tread very carefully.

Top Bottom