• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport Beta Thread

benzy

xxqhzl.png

fejcpq.png

mmgxjb.png

vwvmch.png

wkkayy.png

I was repeatedly doing the timezone trick today and I think I unlocked all the cars. I have 36 different cars, and the next 3 cars were copies of the models I already had, in the same order I unlocked them the first time.

KRaZyAmmo

After years of being depended upon a racing line. Playing GT sport without a line and early on with the markers, I have finally removed numerous visual aids as well as mechanical aids. Now I'm upping my speed and taking different lines around the tracks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Dp7Mn3pdpc

It took me quite a while until I started to play without assists on. But for most if not all racing games I play I turn all the assists off.

Putty

So... are they going to use AF in GTS? Jesus... :(

Pro owners i suspect will see a bump...it's not something that sticks out to me mind while playing...certainly not like say..Driveclub for example...looks to be 2x AA...be nice to get 4AA at least on Pro...

Sebmugi

Willows spring of GT sport is the most beautiful circuit I have ever seen in a game oO <3
Everything seems so natural

We need to talk about aids.

You know what my worst idea of a driving game is? A game where you don't really have to steer (steering assist ON), you don't really have to brake (brake assist ON), even if/when you do, you don't really have to time anything from memory (indicators are flashing everywhere to tell you when to do stuff), you don't have to think about how to approach a corner (there is a computer line on the track telling you where to be on the track at any one time.).

Why even bother pressing the accelerate button at all then? Why not have auto drive as an option? Can't I just sit sipping coffee while beeping the horn or flashing the lights occasionally?

Yeah, I'm talking about the giant honkin' 'BRAKE NOW' button they've added all over my screen. Just about the last thing the series needs. Yes I am shit at the game Polyphony, but I enjoy actually driving (shittily) and not just brainlessly following an array of assistants moment to moment like a subservient task master.

I didn't start playing the series back on the original PlayStation because it had the best assists and automation (did it even have any?). I actually loved it partly because it was harder and less forgiving than the more arcade driving games at the time. I had to really think and consider corner approaches, and remember really struggling with license tests. It was a breath of fresh air..

Sure, have a tutorial mode, have triangle markers and brake assist on there, learn how to drive certain tracks by practically watching everything be done for you, makes total sense in that mode. But I honestly think none of this crap should be in qualifying, never mind actual online races. It shouldn't be an option, never mind being the default!

Solal

dumb-> Are your pics taken from gameplay or replays? Pretty impressive regarding textures..and lighting of course.

These screens make it quite laughable that anyone thinks any other racer even approaches gt sport in terms of overall visual design. They might have sharper textures or assets but not even close to the same quality of reproduction of realistic looking backgrounds or lighting quality etc

Hux1ey

Banned
These screens make it quite laughable that anyone thinks any other racer even approaches gt sport in terms of overall visual design. They might have sharper textures or assets but not even close to the same quality of reproduction of realistic looking backgrounds or lighting quality etc

Driveclub?

Driveclub?
Driveclub style is not going for full realism great graphics but also heavily stylized and doesn't approach gt sport no texture work is next level here

And lighting is also great in DC and much is real time but way way more stylized gt has much more natural palette

If you think drive club is going for exclusively realistic look you gotta get your eyes checked bro

Mascot

That flashing BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE nonsense is a fucking crime against gaming.

shandy706

Driveclub style is not going for full realism great graphics but also heavily stylized and doesn't approach gt sport no texture work is next level here

And lighting is also great in DC and much is real time but way way more stylized gt has much more natural palette

If you think drive club is going for exclusively realistic look you gotta get your eyes checked bro

Sport's Beta may not have the best textures(they're pretty good) and filtering, but it's definitely better than DC.

(agreeing with you)

Pro owners i suspect will see a bump...it's not something that sticks out to me mind while playing...certainly not like say..Driveclub for example...looks to be 2x AA...be nice to get 4AA at least on Pro...

He said, AF..not AA.

Fournier

That flashing BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE nonsense is a fucking crime against gaming.

I don't like it but when I'm racing online it doesn't bother me, I don't even notice it.

wolgoen

I can't stop watching that first Evo looping gif in the OP. Incredible life like physics and awesome daytime lighting.

Still no code for me though :(

-hadouken

It might be a littler more tolerable if it was calling for the brake when it was actually needed. Surely this can't be final? Argh.

It is annoying, but I think PD is trying to get people to understand how to drive clean. I see a lot of people just barrel into turns without regard to the other drivers. A lot of times people are entering turns too fast rear ending other drivers because they brake too late. Even seasoned drivers in their zest to win violate all kinds of gentlemanly rules.

Mascot

It is annoying, but I think PD is trying to get people to understand how to drive clean. I see a lot of people just barrel into turns without regard to the other drivers. A lot of times people are entering turns too fast rear ending other drivers because they brake too late. Even seasoned drivers in their zest to win violate all kinds of gentlemanly rules.

It's there in time trials, so seems to be more about slowing for corners than gentlemanly conduct with your opponents. Anyway, are gamers really that dumb these days, and incapable of autonomous thought?

What next? SHOOT SHOOT SHOOT SHOOT pop-ups in CoD? JUMP prompts in Super Mario?

Slowing your vehicle to navigate turns is the second thing they teach you in at driving school, right after 'don't drink the petrol'. It would be patronising enough in a Looney Tunes arcade racer, but in a serious sim with e-sports ambitions it's fucking ridiculous.

pixelation

Can we play the game disabling the trees? :(
When will videogame trees look more life like?, they break my immersion in a split second.

Solal

It's there in time trials, so seems to be more about slowing for corners than gentlemanly conduct with your opponents. Anyway, are gamers really that dumb these days, and incapable of autonomous thought?

What next? SHOOT SHOOT SHOOT SHOOT pop-ups in CoD? JUMP prompts in Super Mario?

Slowing your vehicle to navigate turns is the second thing they teach you in at driving school, right after 'don't drink the petrol'. It would be patronising enough in a Looney Tunes arcade racer, but in a serious sim with e-sports ambitions it's fucking ridiculous.

I think this ridiculous, atrocious "brake" stuff is just a place holder before they put something else... it can't be serious. Even in PD standards, it's complete nonsense.

Moreover, there already is the red flashing gear number to help you... i mean: come on...

Putty

God the mountain background is just awful. Needs to be completely re-done as it just looks out of date already and last gen. Worst looking track in the game.

Gran Turismo Sport - AUDI R8 LMS Beta Gameplay (NO HUD) Dragon Trail: Seaside @ 1440p (60&#7584;&#7510;&#738;) HD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb9FYjcNPxw
Yeah it's not the best....The time of day isn't particularly helpful either....Its a cracking track to drive on mind!

I think this ridiculous, atrocious "brake" stuff is just a place holder before they put something else... it can't be serious. Even in PD standards, it's complete nonsense.

Moreover, there already is the red flashing gear number to help you... i mean: come on...

Especially since breaking is an analog thing, not a digital on or off, and frequently you don't even need to break, just stop accelerating.

I think they'd be better off just giving a colour gradient to the arrows on the corners, i.e. orange = you're a bit too fast, red = you're way too fast.

Top Bottom