• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport demo coming Oct. 9

Im level 22, got 1.1mil credits. 17000 milestone points, 8 cars and more then 24 hours play time.
Really lovin this game and cant wait for the release.

Onemic

This game reminds me a lot of Street Fighter 5 in terms of the core game being incredibly fun to play, but in an overall package that's way too light on content.

This is my current view on it. Cutting the main portion of the SP out is big blow and it makes the game not feel like a true GT sequel. (I guess that's why they called it Sport instead of GT7.)

The game feels really good though, so I'll probably still get it, but I definitely dont see myself playing this game for a long time like I did with previous GT's.

Wollan

My first and only online race so far (total beginner in 'realistic' online racing games). That was a fun tease with the set time of event and the qualification. Happy to place 7 (of 23). Tried to keep my sportmanship despite the freshman skills. :)
DMCgxtYW4AQrehA.jpg:large

Sport mode is an incredible setup, don't think I'll spend much time in lobbies.
3 daily events isn't enough though, feels way too limited, nintendo style.

I really hope they add some more HUD customization options asap. It is kind of all or nothing right now. In right hand drive cars, the player roster covers the entire rear view mirror. You should be able to turn on/off every single HUD element individually. No excuse not to have that.

Looks like am ending with a C B rating, not bad. Over 800 miles driven in total, half a million in credits and a level 18, and I've been Hella busy these last few days. Game is addictive that's for sure.

Dont wanna be to fanboy/consolewar provocative, but played demo for 24 hours and enjoyed this limited demo more then i enjoyed the full game forza7. Aint touching forza again when gt sport launches. And really hate that its not playable till Wednesday..

Gestault

I'm leaving this with a pretty good feeling, overall. I think once you peel back the assists, the underlying feel to everything is solid. Wheel is obviously about ten steps up from the controller, and I think the sound feedback (not talking about general engine sounds; more like braking/tyre sound effects) could be improved. Presentation is maybe a bit over-designed (I don't like having so many different options menus all called "options," and the "mouse" interface for even just the main menu is a weird solution to having things so many button presses away), but the style overall is executed very nicely. The shift to the online focus is double-edged, depending on how much players care about more clinical online races, vs single-player content.

I'm glad to be in on this.

dstarMDA

Tempted to preorder. All cars of the Digital Deluxe edition are just here as direct access when starting the game right ? They are not exclusive cars ?

My first and only online race so far (total beginner in 'realistic' online racing games). That was a fun tease with the set time of event and the qualification. Happy to place 7 (of 23). Tried to keep my sportmanship despite the freshman skills. :)

Ended up 9th on my first race! :D (I finished 3rd on that race but got penalized to 9th becase it seems I was a psychopath on the wheel).

Everything went downhill after that lol.

0racle

So what build is this?

I know its a beta, but is it essentially a demo of the real game or will we get even more improvements graphically for launch?

No matter what I do I can't give a car a sense of speed and blur in scapes :/ I did turn on the panning shot option and set the travel-speed to 200km/h and played with the focus but nothing.

Goldrusher

With a tank like the Veyron against cars as nimble as a Cayman. You did good!

GHG

Gold Member
Roll on the 18th.

Anyone know about whether we should keep the beta installed and if it will be patched to be the full game?

Who is doing the OT? Happy to help with some graphics if necessary/wanted.

Just had my best race in custom Arcade, though only intermediate with 7 cars for a quick race (I usually suck) but managed to lap two cars during a 12 lap race at Dragons II... Was a good feeling, most of the replay is just me though with the odd wall hit, can tell when I lose concentration lol.

I had my first experience in the meat of the pack earlier when I got punted in turn one. Man, people drive like morons. Banking some early SR is going to be key. The ghosting option seems to create more problems than it solves. It seems to only consider the person you initiated the contact with. So many people coming out of ghost right on top of me. A dude hit me, went ghost, I stayed on track he flew back on track and de-ghosted and immediately super punted me off and he stayed fine. I am just gonna find a race I can qualify near the top and do it over and over. Wondering where the threshold will be of clean driving. I am not too worried though, I had to do the same thing in rookie class of iRacing. Practice the shit out of one race, and bank experience and move up out of the bumper league.

So what build is this?

I know its a beta, but is it essentially a demo of the real game or will we get even more improvements graphically for launch?
The former.

Roll on the 18th.

Anyone know about whether we should keep the beta installed and if it will be patched to be the full game?

Who is doing the OT? Happy to help with some graphics if necessary/wanted.
I think Psycho Mantis is doing it.

Crayon

Please excuse my sleep deprived mind, former as in yes, this is the full game but sectioned off for the demo. What we see is what we get?

I think the one unseen difference is that the sport section will be filled out a lot more. That's the impression I got from some pics I saw earlier. I think they were.from the earlier beta maybe? There was a lot more going on in there. Can't be sure till it comes out, tho.

____

Please excuse my sleep deprived mind, former as in yes, this is the full game but sectioned off for the demo. What we see is what we get?

I struggled with "former" v "latter" until I recently started realizing F (former/first) and L (latter/last).

bombshell

Man, the online is a mixed bag in the demo. On one hand it's insanely addicting on the other if people aren't playing
iH3IOaH.gif
, the game kicks in "ghost mode" for cars at sometimes random situations. I'm not saying things like someone went off track and he's trying to get back on it, that's logical. I'm saying I see 2 cars side by side full speed in front of me and they start clipping through each other for no reason. Cars went through me when they shouldn't because nothing abnormal wasn't happening and I clipped through them too.

I don't know if the appliance of brake at high speed is enough for cars behind to go into "ghost mode"( it happens with or without breaking though) or people having such bad connections the game can't interpret what the hell is going on and just flips the "ghost" switch, but it's really distracting, because looking through mirror you can never tell if someone will bump into you or go right through.

What SR level are you? Ghosting is more aggressive the lower you descend into the hells of SR.

The CSL Elite is not fully supported at the moment. There is no FFB. Fanatec is working with Kaz/PD/Sony to try to have it supported by launch. You can use a Cronusmax Wheel Hub in the meantime though.

Word. Guess I will hold off a month or so until the verdict is in for price to performance for GT compatible wheels. There is a Thrustmaster threat on gtplanet where apparently Kaz has confirmed that there are some massive FFB changes as well as vibration issues that are resolve in the launch version. I am due for a wheel upgrade and GTS will be a good excuse. I have lived with the G27 deadzone flop for long enough.

Audioboxer

So I guess people are more optimistic after this demo?

Gameplay seems to have been improved, and people are having more fun racing, especially online. Some good feedback.

However, reviews will probably still rake it over the coals for a lack of content. Eurogamer wrote a good article praising it, but mentioning the cost this has come at

The real driving simulator', runs Gran Turismo's long-serving tagline, a point of pride as well as something of a distinction - whether made consciously or not - between itself and its competitors. Gran Turismo has has always done a great job of the driving. It has not, historically, really delivered when it comes to the racing side of things, though.

That 'Sport' suffix for the series' PlayStation 4 debut sets an expectation which this new Gran Turismo happily meets. The online racing is several steps beyond what's gone before and, judging from a few days with the generous demo that's been live this week, Polyphony Digital has fulfilled one of its main objectives for this new game. Gran Turismo Sport really does feel like an 'iRacing lite' for consoles.

What makes it work - and, perhaps more importantly, why do racing bores like myself keep bringing up iRacing, a PC game that's coming on for a decade old and one with a relatively small, if very dedicated, community? It's because iRacing sets a gold standard for online racing, and its big ideas have taken a bafflingly long time to find their way into other games.

Chief amongst those is the safety rating, which is primarily a way to emulate the sense of risk that comes in real racing. When you're sitting in front of a TV screen, controller or plastic wheel in-hand, there's not quite the sense of danger that comes on the racetrack. How best to instil that in players? Quite simply by attaching a score to your own personal safety - perhaps because people who play games value high scores just as much as they do their own personal well-being.

The car list is paltry, with some surprising omissions, while the track list is similarly slim, especially coming off the back of the excesses of Gran Turismo 6. Then there's the perception that Gran Turismo Sport's single-player game has suffered - an understandable opinion, even if there's a fairly generous amount of activities in place of the more traditional Gran Turismo career.

Now, if only all this was possible with dynamic day/night transitions and weather, features which Gran Turismo Sport has regretfully ditched this time out.

Such is the rub with Gran Turismo Sport, a game whose new focus brings about plenty of pleasant surprises, but which has also caused a fair number of casualties along the way. Whether that new emphasis makes up for all that's been lost remains to be seen - but it's certainly been fun playing a Gran Turismo that's got an all-new sense of purpose.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-10-12-gran-turismo-sport-review-in-progress

It's been 4 years since the last GT, reviewers just aren't going to let it off the hook for being content lite in that many years.

They specifically say weather is missing. I don't know if that is off the demo, or review copy. Seems to be review copy which is bad news indeed. Pretty shoddy PD couldn't get weather stable in 4 years.

It isn't content lite.

It is compared to past games. Even Eurogamer can point that out whilst still praising it.

Gameplay seems to have been improved, and people are having more fun racing, especially online. Some good feedback.

However, reviews will probably still rake it over the coals for a lack of content. Eurogamer wrote a good article praising it, but mentioning the cost this has come at

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-10-12-gran-turismo-sport-review-in-progress

It's been 4 years since the last GT, reviewers just aren't going to let it off the hook for being content lite in that many years.

Yeah, it will likely be 7's and 8's on main stream sites. Just go to sim racing sites for a proper analysis.

Audioboxer

It really isn't which is why it so strange that it keeps being insisted especially after many of the main criticisms against gt have typically been car encyclopedia that no one uses

It's gone from car encyclopedia to car anaemic. GT5/6 still had like 450+ premium cars.

Reviews will be due in a matter of days. I'm just saying what to expect, as even the glowing praise in the Eurogamer article above is put alongside multiple remarks about cut content.

Easily, the game is a quality racer and nothing feels content lite about it, it’s just different. I really think some crow is going to be eaten when the full game is here and people see how many races are in the missions. I do agree that a GT7 and GTS should be made, but not this gen. This gen, GTS is a solid foundation to add cars/tracks/events to. Then GT7 on PS5 can incorporate everything to please both spectrums.

I’d say a fair score off the demo is an 8.5-9.0 depending on just how fun the campaign is for majority of players.

But mainstream sites will ding it for not having new stuff plus everything from older games. So probably meta 80-82

L.O.R.D

guys, i downloaded the demo but i can't play it, i am in main menu but i can't select any thing.
my PS4 is offline and can't connect to any internet right now.
is the demo is online only?

guys, i downloaded the demo but i can't play it, i am in main menu but i can't select any thing.
my PS4 is offline and can't connect to any internet right now.
is the demo is online only?
Yes, sorry.

Retail version lets you use arcade mode, campaign, and photo stuff while offline.

It's definitely what I would consider content lite until Kaz puts out a timetable and pricing structure for future car and track updates.

Because I consider cars and tracks to be the meat of what "content" is in a racing game. This is a different benchmark than whether what you get is a good value proposition. But you can't argue that the amount of cars compared to previous GT entries is seriously lacking.

--
Just had a couple good races on Maggiore. Such a mess of a track for SR penalties though. Although that U-turn you enter with the big downward straight is something I've been able to nail consistently, when online it's really dangerous with people braking too early. I've went off the track a couple times now just to avoid rear-ending someone.

Had a Benz in this last race who was a real douchenozzle. Kept intentionally bumping people off, swinging into their racing lines, etc. I was expecting their SR to drop like a rock, but didn't even drop one level. This tells me that the SR system is not working properly. If someone can act that flagrantly and not get severe penalties, it needs major reworking of the algorithms.

Collision physics don't seem very good either at higher speeds. Watched a replay of the race and the same Benz driver rear-ended a GT-R, who went flying off the track 3x the speed of the Benz like it was made of rubber.

Top Bottom