• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport demo coming Oct. 9

Crayon

I'm so hot for this game now.

Give me my 90's jdm cars, Polyphony.

How am I playing a gran turismo without these cars?

1990-Toyota-Sera-bright-yellow-11.jpg

DSCF1077.jpg

8841495588_10bab23d6c_b.jpg

Are you going to charge for these? Shame on you! And shame on me for being ready to throw money.

MaDKaT

But Kaz, it's not a real career mode. Those aren't real career races, they are just license tests. Give us a real career mode.

It isn't. The campaign is pretty much ripped out of the Prologue games. That said, what I did get to play I enjoyed but there isn't enough offline content to justify this game at this time. So far it is looking like none of the new racers have the campaign I am looking for.

It isn't. The campaign is pretty much ripped out of the Prologue games. That said, what I did get to play I enjoyed but there isn't enough offline content to justify this game at this time. So far it is looking like none of the new racers have the campaign I am looking for.

Yeah...sadly this was my take from the demo as well. I will wait for a deep sale.

WoolyNinja

This is what it has come to. Comparing a main GT game to GT Prologue to make it look like it has SP content.

It does have SP content though - and I will argue that this games single player is more meaty, varied and fun than the previous "buy car thats better than the AI and fly past them" single player of the past GTs. The fact that I'm going to get that PLUS the addicting Sport mode has got me excited for this release.

MaDKaT

It does have SP content though - and I will argue that this games single player is more meaty, varied and fun than the previous "buy car thats better than the AI and fly past them" single player of the past GTs. The fact that I'm going to get that PLUS the addicting Sport mode has got me excited for this release.

You were only cheating yourself in past games then.

It sounds like GT's new direction isn't for you, which is fine. We all have our preferences.

bombshell

We have ZERO clue what's in the remaining 75% of the missions. It's amazing how some people continue to post like they know what's in there. The Kaz tweet together with row 6 of the missions should reassure anyone that there's a lot of actual races in the campaign.

ty_hot

People that passed 6-8. Any tips on the fuel management.Basically which laps to go for refuelling,etc..
I am 6th lap full tank now.

I guess its the last one. Everytime I was not in the first place I was using full power, then once I was in the lead, put at 3 or 4 (depends on your gas level)... I ended up getting only bronze because I fucked up at least 3 times during the race (really fucked up, like going waaay out of the track, losing 10+ positions), but I was clearly faster than everybody else. The long straight part you can really feel the difference of gas usage and power, you might try putting power in there and save gas in the rest of the lap, probably the best strategy because you are probably better at the low speed parts than the AI is even using less power/gas.

Servbot24

Banned

This is part of what I loved about past GT :p

MaDKaT

We have ZERO clue what's in the remaining 75% of the missions. It's amazing how some people continue to post like they know what's in there. The Kaz tweet together with row 6 of the missions should reassure anyone that there's a lot of actual races in the campaign.

If you have followed the series you would see the similarities in what is in this demo compared to past games and can draw a reasonable conclusion that it is likely to just be more of the same. Hell, with how bare bones the car selection is and the limited tuning there really isnt much else they can do. It is almost like the concept games.

For me the Campaign Mode was way better than I expected, with a good mix of Licence Tests, Races, Time Trials, Learning Tracks and Skill Challenges (and that was only the demo)

With loads more in the full game, I'm fine with no standard career mode after playing this, it's more varied and very challenging / addictive trying to get gold and with around 217 of them (I did a rough count from the demo) there is plenty to do.

Crayon

If you have followed the series you would see the similarities in what is in this demo compared to past games and can draw a reasonable conclusion that it is likely to just be more of the same. Hell, with how bare bones the car selection is and the limited tuning there really isnt much else they can do. It is almost like the concept games.

The tuning does not seem any more limited than past games, to me. At least not at a glance. What is missing?

Vuci

I'm so hot for this game now.

Give me my 90's jdm cars, Polyphony.

How am I playing a gran turismo without these cars?

1990-Toyota-Sera-bright-yellow-11.jpg

DSCF1077.jpg

8841495588_10bab23d6c_b.jpg

Are you going to charge for these? Shame on you! And shame on me for being ready to throw money.

I know. GTS needs more cars like this. The car selection is pretty bad if you're not into performance vehicles.

Well, like I said before, it does look like GT Sports has an abundance of single player content.

Only problem is how it's being done.

Right now the single player content is like a story told in bullet points, rather than before where it's like a mini-RPG.

bombshell

More of the same like in row 6? Sign me up!

I haven't spent too much time in the car settings menu, but there were options to use Mileage points to increase HP or lower weight.

Now, I wonder if these will replace buying car parts. :/

kriskrosbbk

I guess its the last one. Everytime I was not in the first place I was using full power, then once I was in the lead, put at 3 or 4 (depends on your gas level)... I ended up getting only bronze because I fucked up at least 3 times during the race (really fucked up, like going waaay out of the track, losing 10+ positions), but I was clearly faster than everybody else. The long straight part you can really feel the difference of gas usage and power, you might try putting power in there and save gas in the rest of the lap, probably the best strategy because you are probably better at the low speed parts than the AI is even using less power/gas.

Thanks man. I have finished 4th for Silver but definitely wasnt that hard than expected.The AI fucked me at least 3times and as you said 10+ positions lost all 3 times but I didnt quit.
I was in the box for 4 times basically every 5,5laps always full tank.Maybe not the best strategy.

Good video to close the beta. Cant wait the retail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0OTcB0ln8Y

Griss

Ultimately, it's a very impressive game in a lot of ways.

Graphically it's stunning - the lighting here is unbelievable. The e-scapes stuff is mindblowingly beautiful.
It plays great with a pad - going back to Project Cars 1 to compare made me laugh my ass off.
The handling feels right, as you'd expect.
The new fictional courses were really, really well designed and fun.
Most importantly, it looks like it has nailed online racing - something I've never much bothered with before because it's typically a clusterfuck. This is a huge achievement if they get it right - and it's clearly the focus of the game.

On the other hand...
The car roster is too small and the focus on GT3 cars that I have no personal attachment to is boring as hell.
The track roster is even worse. It's just too small, and is missing so many of my favourite tracks.
The single player is no real campaign. For a game subtitled 'Sport' it's disappointing you can't have a real motorsport career.
There's still no proper damage system, as far as I can tell. This is a big one for me.
No day/night transition is disappointing. No dynamic weather is disappointing. Other games do this stuff.
I still hate the kind of UI they use. It's ugly and confusing to me, and designed almost totally around having nice images in the middle of the screen rather than what would be most usable.

So my final verdict is that this is going to be an incredible game - in a year or so's time. When the track list and car count have both doubled will be when I'll look to pick this up. If that doesn't happen then I'll wait for GT7 or GT Sport 2, whatever they end up calling it.

GenericUser

My 2 cents as a veteran fan of the series since day 1 back in 1998.

-Graphics are mind blowingly good (the lighing is close to perfection)
-Menus still are a clusterfuck
-Driving feels good
-Getting into an actual race takes surprisingly long and I don't "get" the daily races.
-Classic GT Campaign with buying tuning parts and "work your way" up seems not existent. I found this surprisingly bothersome.

Time will have to tell of this new concept for GT is working out.
Not a day one purchase but still on my radar.

Crayon

All the basics are there like the past games. It is just missing all the car building elements of the past mainline games.

What do you mean car building elements? Like the parts shop presentation? I kind of miss that but I would consider it little more than window dressing. Buying parts essentially unlocked the ability to twiddle settings.

Got to play a bunch last night.

Highs:
-2 for 2 with race wins in sport. Won my first N100 on Brands Indy and GR.3 at Maggiore (love this track)
-The driving is fine. As with every GT before it, Sports tires or lower are the most satisfying to drive on. Still have some complaints, but it fullfills the more casual sim aspect I am looking for. My only concern is tune exploits as we saw in beta. Really hoping for lots of locked tuning races series.
-Being able to raise the cockpit view height is a game changer. It was always too low. I wish I could just set a universal preference for all cars. Full up and full back view ftw.
-Lake Maggiore and Dragon Trail. Two original tracks that are already personal faves. Lets hope they have more in store for us!

Lows/Gripes:
-Still not convinced on the tire model in terms of heat and wear. Hoping full game is different. The endurance race mission was 6 lap stints and you could do any tire and it barely made a difference
-Let me turn off the god damn ghost! Why put the options in the pause menu if I can't disable it.
-The real time split delta just above your tach needs to be way more prominent during TT and qualy. It is an invaluable tool for improving your lap corner to corner.
-Only three events at a time in sport mode is really lame if this is the final format. Hoping for something more along the lines of iRacing seasons where every car class has its own season and tracks rotate out weekly.

Overall I think there is a lot of potential and the fixes are relatively minor. I hope the Sport mode is fleshed out more as mentioned above and I really would like to see a lot of Spec car series where everyone is in the same car. Rally and AI are fucking abysmal, but luckily we should be able to avoid those forever once all single player stuff is golded.

Can't wait for Tuesday! We need to get our GAF groups going so we can all have full friends leader boards to challenge. Feel free to add me at anytime with message, GAF GTS. psn = gutterboy44

Maybe Kaz and Slowyphony finally have realised that there is a large portion of Gran Turismo fans that prefer the old style of Gran Turismo offline career mode with original tracks with peasant cars instead of this online racing focus with supercars on boring real-life tracks.

I hope so because GT for me is racing like hell on tracks like Trial Mountain and Deep Forest with cars like the Nissan 300ZX and Silvia, Opel Speedster, Subaru Legacy and Mitsubishi 3000GT.

MaDKaT

What do you mean car building elements? Like the parts shop presentation? I kind of miss that but I would consider it little more than window dressing. Buying parts essentially unlocked the ability to twiddle settings.

It added an element of ownership. Felt like I was crafting a car as I raced up through the various events. Swapping this and that to meet point/class restrictions. Sure it just opened up more sliders but it was very engaging to me. Looked for that in the latest Forza but its campaign is also lacking with little car building since each event requires a different car from a small pool with no real reason to tune so there is no real building or ownership.

It added an element of ownership. Felt like I was crafting a car as I raced up through the various events. Swapping this and that to meet point/class restrictions. Sure it just opened up more sliders but it was very engaging to me. Looked for that in the latest Forza but its campaign is also lacking with little car building since each event requires a different car from a small pool with no real reason to tune so there is no real building or ownership.

At this point, if GTS continues to develop into a proper iRacing Lite on consoles, I think PD/Sony should split off a second GT game like Forza did with Horizons. I don't want GT horizons, but I would like to see a GT game that is all about the love of cars and driving experiences and ownership. All cars wear and tear, buying stuff is a big deal, and lots of gran touring style events or track days where it is more about taking your car on a journey to a track then just pure racing. You trash your car, you need to pay serious cash to get it back. Even better, cars in massive crashes should be written off for good. Have full walk through garages where you can show off your prized vehicles. Almost an GT MMO in a way. Then just keep GTS going for the pure racing and competitive aspect.

JamboGT

Highs:
-2 for 2 with race wins in sport. Won my first N100 on Brands Indy and GR.3 at Maggiore (love this track)
-The driving is fine. As with every GT before it, Sports tires or lower are the most satisfying to drive on. Still have some complaints, but it fullfills the more casual sim aspect I am looking for. My only concern is tune exploits as we saw in beta. Really hoping for lots of locked tuning races series.
-Being able to raise the cockpit view height is a game changer. It was always too low. I wish I could just set a universal preference for all cars. Full up and full back view ftw.
-Lake Maggiore and Dragon Trail. Two original tracks that are already personal faves. Lets hope they have more in store for us!

Lows/Gripes:
-Still not convinced on the tire model in terms of heat and wear. Hoping full game is different. The endurance race mission was 6 lap stints and you could do any tire and it barely made a difference
-Let me turn off the god damn ghost! Why put the options in the pause menu if I can't disable it.
-The real time split delta just above your tach needs to be way more prominent during TT and qualy. It is an invaluable tool for improving your lap corner to corner.
-Only three events at a time in sport mode is really lame if this is the final format. Hoping for something more along the lines of iRacing seasons where every car class has its own season and tracks rotate out weekly.

Overall I think there is a lot of potential and the fixes are relatively minor. I hope the Sport mode is fleshed out more as mentioned above and I really would like to see a lot of Spec car series where everyone is in the same car. Rally and AI are fucking abysmal, but luckily we should be able to avoid those forever once all single player stuff is golded.

Can't wait for Tuesday! We need to get our GAF groups going so we can all have full friends leader boards to challenge. Feel free to add me at anytime with message, GAF GTS. psn = gutterboy44

I was able to do 10 laps on the hard easily in that race, Softs were going off after 5 laps.

Mohasus

Lows/Gripes:

You can change the fuel map using the dpad. You could do 10-11 laps stints and the soft tires start to suck during the sixth.

Maybe Kaz and Slowyphony finally have realised that there is a large portion of Gran Turismo fans that prefer the old style of Gran Turismo offline career mode with original tracks with peasant cars instead of this online racing focus with supercars on boring real-life tracks.

I hope so because GT for me is racing like hell on tracks like Trial Mountain and Deep Forest with cars like the Nissan 300ZX and Silvia, Opel Speedster, Subaru Legacy and Mitsubishi 3000GT.

There are ~6 opportunities to do that already. Why do you need a 7th?

I3rand0

People that passed 6-8. Any tips on the fuel management.Basically which laps to go for refuelling,etc..
I am 6th lap full tank now.

Here's the strategy I used. I changed TCS to 2.

Pit 1 - Lap 7, Hard tyres, 100% fuel
Pit 2 - Lap 14, Hard tyres, 100% fuel
Pit 3 - Lap 21, Medium tyres, 92% fuel
Pit 4 - Lap 26, Soft tyres, 63% fuel (enough for 4.5 laps according to the game, I had around 12% of a tank left when I crossed the finish line, so you can refuel less than that)

Also I now have gone from SR C to E in one race. I really hope that doesn't carry over to the final game.

MaDKaT

At this point, if GTS continues to develop into a proper iRacing Lite on consoles, I think PD/Sony should split off a second GT game like Forza did with Horizons. I don't want GT horizons, but I would like to see a GT game that is all about the love of cars and driving experiences and ownership. All cars wear and tear, buying stuff is a big deal, and lots of gran touring style events or track days where it is more about taking your car on a journey to a track then just pure racing. You trash your car, you need to pay serious cash to get it back. Even better, cars in massive crashes should be written off for good. Have full walk through garages where you can show off your prized vehicles. Almost an GT MMO in a way. Then just keep GTS going for the pure racing and competitive aspect.

I honestly think you can just roll all that into GT Sport. Just have different lobbies and rewards for those that want to compete with heavy risk.

Crayon

I always wished they took that further. I liked the oil changes and the car washes and all that shit. But alas, they threw it all out. I hear ya.

Top Bottom