• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport demo coming Oct. 9

I remember you could change stuff like TC, ABS etc on the fly with that dial in GT5, can you still do that? It should be considered cheating if you can :p
I submitted a suggested in the closed beta to have a ASM toggle while driving and clearly my thoughts fell on deaf ears! Though I sort of see what they're after. They're trying to tier out the general level of difficulty in handling to make the 3 preset levels more accommodating. Being able to flip ASM at will would give the driver an edge above what people letting the game choose their assists would, where the game would rather that person just use expert mode to play on equal footing. I'd actually argue that people with the new super flashy wheel with the multiple dials for adjustments on the fly get a not-insignificant advantage from being able to toy with fuel map and traction without any fuss at any time.

That said, I do not want to race on any wet surfaces now in fast cars. Hell no. And leaving ASM on for an entire race is crippling in challenges and a ticket straight to the back in sport mode at higher DRs, so this is going to be tricky when it comes up.

Edit: You can adjust bias mid race but you cannot turn ABS on/off while driving.

^ Its not just ASM but also micro adjustments to TCS on the fly that gives you edge over someone who's stuck with high TC or no TC for the entire track.

You sure can. Unless it's disabled in the race conditions. IE - ABS set to off.

Damn, should grab that wheel now lol.

^ Its not just ASM but also micro adjustments to TCS on the fly that gives you edge over someone who's stuck with high TC or no TC for the entire track.

Damn, should grab that wheel now lol.

Some super bikes have traction control etc that sets itself according to gps - per corner - if a track is in the database. That would be a good feature for in game supercars and could be setup from the car setup screen

Mohasus

Finally received a good car in the daily workout. An Alpine VGT Race Mode.
These VGT cars are really fun to drive.

Btw, the car limit is 8 right? I guess I'll just delete one of the cheaper ones to guarantee that this one goes to the full game. The official site doesn't help with this. :(

Participation Bonuses
The following data content can be carried over to the final product version when it releases:
・In-game credits (up to a limit)
・Mileage points (up to a limit)
・Cars acquired (up to a limit)

This would be amazing in VR, just this kind of thing had me well immersed in PCars 1 with Occulus..

It does makes me want to re-sub for iRacing, driving the Skip Barber with the Rift headset and a wheel is pretty damn awesome (even though it makes me queasy and I can't really drive more than a couple of laps at a time).

JamboGT

But you need to enter a sub-menu first right? Kind of a hassle in the middle of a race. Turning a dial to directly change values is so much easier.

You still have to go through the menu, I have the wheel and the dial is fine but am faster with the dpad on the controller

ty_hot

Played my 2 last races of the Beta. Got a D in the Interlagos circuit (one guy cut a corner, hit me, threw me out of the track... and I lost SR lol at least I didn't get any penalty), managed to start in 6th and end in 2nd. Then with the N100 car in the Indy something race I started 4th and also ended 2nd. I won 2 races only during these days - but one I lost due to a crazy penalty (more or less the same as the one I described above).

I am on C SR now, I think my visits played the game yesterday night because I was definetely on C and today I before playing I was on D again. fuck. Playing with D people is terrible, I cant imagine how it is to play with E.

Finally received a good car in the daily workout. An Alpine VGT Race Mode.
These VGT cars are really fun to drive.

Btw, the car limit is 8 right? I guess I'll just delete one of the cheaper ones to guarantee that this one goes to the full game. The official site doesn't help with this. :(

Participation Bonuses
The following data content can be carried over to the final product version when it releases:
・In-game credits (up to a limit)
・Mileage points (up to a limit)
・Cars acquired (up to a limit)
Me too, I have 9 cars and I sure dont want the shitty N100 car that I can buy for 30k... what if they kick my great yellow Camaro out of my garage? No way. Not sure if we can delete cars from the garage though.

Mush

I think it is Peugeot's issue not creating the cockpit. PD just putting them by request. I would nag Peugeot if I were you.

Edit: I forgot that Peugeot apparently already exist since GT6. Sigh, Peugeot.
It's not just Peugeot though. These cars all lack a fully modeled interior:

Astin Martin VGT, Infiniti VGT, BMW VGT,
Volkswagen Supersport VGT, Mini VGT, Mitsubishi VGT, Subaru VGT, Lexus VGT...

Yeah, been enjoying that one. Feels like a great test track because it can easily bring out so many of a car's specific characteristics. You've got the long sweeping turns back to back, wide curbs/kerbs that may or may not unsettle the car, the long downhill straight to the hairpin, and the upward slope before reaching the final straight where if you don't position yourself right or properly manage your throttle and even tap another car you might easily spin off the track.

Took me a little while to come to terms with it and I've still got plenty of room to improve, but it's been a fun process to learn, and relearn with different cars.

Okay this is what I gotta try. The delay with the analog stick is horrendous. Counter-steering is often lock applied only for half a second before returning to normal steering and the stick can't even come close to that level of response.

I meant to try the motion controls earlier, too, but then I uhh.... forgot. :X

bombshell

Sorry if it has already been said but trophy list has appeared:

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/6806-gran-turismo-sport

It looks easier than PS3 episodes.

The 3 golds look very time consuming, also I would say that getting gold in every event in the campaign will probably be a good challenge.

Me too, I have 9 cars and I sure dont want the shitty N100 car that I can buy for 30k... what if they kick my great yellow Camaro out of my garage? No way. Not sure if we can delete cars from the garage though.

The number 8 for number of cars that carry over comes from the PS store description.
And yeah, you can "sell" cars in the garage although actually getting something for selling cars seems to be disabled in this demo. For all cars it first says this car can't be sold and then it asks if you want to simply delete it instead.

23752353838_27f3515ed1_c.jpg

23752354368_92a8435307_c.jpg

DLxFHTsU8AAAVsG.jpg:large

Graphics look real life.

JamboGT

Those are scapes, only the car isn't real life. The tech is really impressive though.

I have to be honest, I prefer the AI to 6, they were too timid there. You just have to give them room here though it could be a lot better of course.

riverfr0zen

Neo Member
So all in all, I'm very impressed by the demo and look forward the full game. There is something about the feel of driving in the game (I'm gamepad only) that oozes quality and confidence in the car itself (even a crappy car).

The only thing I'd like more from is the upkeep of the SR system. This game's success (as a game, not financially) will hinge on it. So much so that I'm a little surprised as to the lack of depth so far with the system. They've talked so much about it that I feel it could be a little more sophisticated; i.e. not just 'oops your car made contact, SR goes down'.

Don't get me wrong, I think the system works decently so far, but they really need to add more sophisticated algorithms (e.g. getting bumped from behind should penalize the driver behind in most cases). I guess this is what I'm surprised about.

EDIT: What's cool is that these algorithms don't have to be employed on the client side. They should be processed server-side (I imagine they already are). What this means is that their complexity does not have to be a game-stopper (on a well scaled architecture). I hope they go wild and experiment as much as necessary to achieve a really good system.

I imagine they already know this and are looking to evolve it once they begin to receive actual data and feedback once the full game is out (at least I hope that is the case). Wouldn't it be cool if they've actually already started work on this, and when the full game launches, we see some of these more sophisticated SR algorithms come in to play? Maybe it's a dream, but that would cement this game as a success, imo.

Don't dead sailor down a straight and bait someone to get in your draft and lock onto your ass thinking they'll just brake when they see your lights. Because that will fail and you'll get hit. Move around and be a little unpredictable. Fake them with a brake tap or something. Make them pick their own braking point.

Known hack tailgating you? Juke to the inside and brake early. Drop back a place and open your line back up as the pass. Get a comfortable late apex and get that throttle open early and try to catch their draft and you shouldn't end up very far behind them. Now pressure them and be patient.

You can do it. The race car is not the monster. You are the monster.

Nice tips and motivation, thanks =)

kriskrosbbk

People that passed 6-8. Any tips on the fuel management.Basically which laps to go for refuelling,etc..
I am 6th lap full tank now.

JamboGT

I ran at fuel mix 4 for the first stint, ran 8 laps, switched to mode 1 on softs for two stints, 6 laps each, then 2 final stints of 5 laps as I wanted decent tyres at the end just in case, won by over 10 seconds.

xrnzaaas

The 3 golds look very time consuming, also I would say that getting gold in every event in the campaign will probably be a good challenge.

The problem with those trophies is that they will be tied to the online mode. Which means you must win 91 races and score 65 PP's while playing against other players. Completing 322 races looks by far like the easiest one of those three.

People that passed 6-8. Any tips on the fuel management.Basically which laps to go for refuelling,etc..
I am 6th lap full tank now.

Did a 6 laps per pit stop run, on soft tires. Finished just under a second in front of the 2nd and 3rd place runners, but I did a very bad first corner in the last 10 laps which took me a lot to recover. Still, I was in first place for most of the race.

FeD.nL

I really hope they sort out the SR system because right now it’s a broken ass system. The idea is sound but the system is just really dumb, like how do I lose SR when holding an outside line through a corner and my opponent rams me twice purposefully.

Crayon

Another random bit on people frustrated with SR-- A lot of this is a "new game, new tracks" thing. It's hard to expect most players to nail braking zones down to within a tenth of a second every corner on every lap. Hell, I'm familiar with most of these but without a lot of repetition in each car class I know I'm not entirely consistent. Even in the C range right now I'd venture contact is rarely deliberate. When it's accidental to start with it makes the victim even more frustrated, though (and understandably so), and it's a hard cycle to break.

Look at it this way-- In other racing games you might never have the ability to fully purge the evil from online races. This way, even if it means a little frustration or a little extra effort for a week or two, you do get rewarded in the end. By the later weeks of the closed beta there were enough people with A and S-tier SRs that even races on the ovals were a thing that was possible without fear of getting murdered on the track. It does pay off.

I agree with all this. Some adjustments are warranted and surely coming but I believe in the system overall and it's already working to make the game more fun.

FeD.nL

Right now the system seems to favor whoever is on the racing line, so if you’re defending/overtaking off the racing line and there’s contact you seem to get the blame.

raven777

山内 一典‏ @Kaz_Yamauchi
Lots of offline races (lengthy ones too) with garaged cars appear half way through the Mission Challenges in the product version

山内 一典‏ @Kaz_Yamauchi
And for players who still can’t get enough, we have preparations to add more events through updates.

From Kaz's twitter

NHale

The only thing I would like to see is some sort of DLC roadmap, we know there will be dlc but some hints would be nice.

This but I understand that DLC plans are probably pending on the initial sales of the product. If the game does good maybe they will do more DLC, if it bombs they will probably not do very much.

But they need to do like Evolution did with Driveclub and make it a yearly roadmap. Say how many tracks (free/paid) and cars (free/paid) are releasing in the next year and also what main updates are expected.

Besides that, they need to announce endurance races with driver switching on Sport mode. This need to happen. 6 hour of Nurburgring with 3 driver teams. C'mon....

jayu26

The only thing I would like to see is some sort of DLC roadmap, we know there will be dlc but some hints would be nice.
This, very much this. They should have done that two/three months ago. Shit, we don't even know the pricing structure let alone the release schedule for tracks and car packs. It really feels like they are still figuring out the correct balance that would be acceptable to the consumers.

Top Bottom