• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport demo coming Oct. 9

Got a dumb Peugeot Vision car for the daily today (as it's past midnight here). Like wtf are PD thinking including cars that don't have cockpits? I refuse to play in anything other than cockpit view, so that car is useless to me. At least I can sell it for cash.

That Maggiore Gr.4 race hasn't been good for my SR, but I do love that race. Driving the 458 on that track may have pushed me over the edge to Buy. I continue to struggle with that first and second turn though. I always either brake a bit too early or a bit too late.

edit: Also I wish the Activity Feed (or some other feed) had a history of all your races and data on them. Is this really not something we can access? I want all the nerdy charts and graphs about my times, my improvement, etc.

Got a dumb Peugeot Vision car for the daily today (as it's past midnight here). Like wtf are PD thinking including cars that don't have cockpits? I refuse to play in anything other than cockpit view, so that car is useless to me. At least I can sell it for cash.
Are you serious? I thought all the cars would be premium spec and have full cockpit views now. Is there any reasoning behind this? And is it car the only one or am I going to find the car count more limited because I'm the same kind of cockpit-view-only player?

It's weird that GTS and FM7 is exactly the same in this regard. Is it really that difficult to make good AI behaviour? Can't they just put in a higher priority to keep away from the player? The biggest annoyance of douche online gaming has made it's way into the AI right now. :/
Project Cars 2 does this pretty well, and its configurable.

FeD.nL

Fucking Interlagos, twice I get wiped out in turn 4 but some fucking idiot that doesn’t know how to brake. How is it possible that C SR is worse than D.

Stillmatic

Did you cross the ditch, Stillmatic?
Yeah man, moved over to Melbourne about 6 years ago, just after the Chch earthquake's. Love it over here, but we've had a couple of wee ones since and need to move back for fam. Proly head to Welly though. 🙌

Looking forward to trying to beat your lap times even though I'll fail. Lol

Are you serious? I thought all the cars would be premium spec and have full cockpit views now. Is there any reasoning behind this? And is it car the only one or am I going to find the car count more limited because I'm the same kind of cockpit-view-only player?

I believe all the Vision cars don't have cockpits because they're prototype designs, I don't think they even exist? So I guess PD didn't bother to put in a cockpit, and the manufacturers didn't bother to design one.

Crayon

Don't dead sailor down a straight and bait someone to get in your draft and lock onto your ass thinking they'll just brake when they see your lights. Because that will fail and you'll get hit. Move around and be a little unpredictable. Fake them with a brake tap or something. Make them pick their own braking point.

Known hack tailgating you? Juke to the inside and brake early. Drop back a place and open your line back up as the pass. Get a comfortable late apex and get that throttle open early and try to catch their draft and you shouldn't end up very far behind them. Now pressure them and be patient.

You can do it. The race car is not the monster. You are the monster.

I believe all the Vision cars don't have cockpits because they're prototype designs, I don't think they even exist? So I guess PD didn't bother to put in a cockpit, and the manufacturers didn't bother to design one.

No, most of the VGT's have cockpits. There's just one or two that don't.

I don’t understand any of the sound complaints. It just seems like a meme at this point.

The wireframe engine animation and sound (specific to the car you selected?) when loading the gameplay makes me feel like Polyphony wanted to make a point.

GTS sounds incredible.

This. I've noticed a few cars that sound a little off (I've mentioned WRX few times), but the overall sound mix is stellar. I like the volume and ferocity of PC2 and Forza titles, but I don't think they sound as good as GTS in cockpit view.

Finally got around to playing it on my own TV to judge (lg oled c7 ps4 pro).

Game looks like a mixed bag overall. Not ugly per se, but some assets...yeah, pretty ugly. Its incredibly jarring seeing a game with such a fantastic lighting engine and good car models and then to see a bunch of low rez 2d trees next pass you by :/

That's some 36 or so cars out of this continuously updated list of 150 cars in GT Sport.

I really hope you're wrong about this.

Apparently I am according to Solidsnakex, only a few don't have cockpits. I don't think I'd ever race them anyway, the ones I've seen look pretty videogamey.

I wouldn't worry too much about that car list or the percentage of Vision cars in it though, Kaz has gone on record saying they plan to add a ton more. Now whether those are all free or not, I'll remain skeptical for now.

Game feels incredible on a T300 (dropping FFB to 2). I honestly think it's some of the best feedback out there right now (and this is from someone who would endlessly fiddle with AC on PC to get it perfect). Sat right in front of a big screen with 5.1 is sublime. Can't get any response from the clutch (T3PA Pro) or the TH8A shifter though (plugged into the base).

How do you adjust the cockpit position?

Oh and 370Z for DLC or I riot.

Apparently I am according to Solidsnakex, only a few don't have cockpits. I don't think I'd ever race them anyway, the ones I've seen look pretty videogamey.
Thank the Gods, I missed that post:

No, most of the VGT's have cockpits. There's just one or two that don't.
I can deal with skipping one or two, but that's still a bummer. I'll go insane if these are the cars I get gifted, and if the release game is like the trial where you can get duplicates. Or of any of these cars are required to complete missions or events.

Really disliked how I had to avoid so many cars on the roster in the previous GTs.

Melfice7

There needs to be actual costumizable HUD, currently its either on, off or remove instruments, neither of those options are useful, let me choose what to tick on and off!

Also let me change the car inside the race menu.. having to go back to do it is nonsense

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Had no idea the time required to download and play was only about 3 days. I couldn't download it at home as my monthly datacap is 40gb so just took the console to someone else's place and the demo ain't there. Sad, but not the end of the world (and saves me money for now 😂).

l2ounD

The Miatas were a pretty fun race although pretty slow

UKarcYY.gif

https://youtu.be/KLe4krXnjwM

There needs to be actual costumizable HUD, currently its either on, off or remove instruments, neither of those options are useful, let me choose what to tick on and off!

Also let me change the car inside the race menu.. having to go back to do it is nonsense

Yes to both. I don't like the full HUD cluttering up the cockpit view, but I do want access to the BRD for the radar.

--
Stick sensitivity 5 is where its at. I kept feeling a sluggishness in response on 4, but 5 removed that. Feels much crisper and direct, but not overly sensitive.

bombshell

Both DR and SR go from E (D-C-B-A) to S iirc.

Edit: link

"Please note, however, that unless your Sportsmanship Rating meets the required standard, your Driver Rating will not increase, even if your results are very good."

Do we know how this works? Is it simply that you can never get higher in DR than in SR or is there more to it?

Got a dumb Peugeot Vision car for the daily today (as it's past midnight here). Like wtf are PD thinking including cars that don't have cockpits?

I think it is Peugeot's issue not creating the cockpit. PD just putting them by request. I would nag Peugeot if I were you.

Edit: I forgot that Peugeot apparently already exist since GT6. Sigh, Peugeot.

Ammogeddon

Sure I read somewhere on here that you can make dynamic scapes like when you view cars in brand central. Anyone know about this that can help?

"Please note, however, that unless your Sportsmanship Rating meets the required standard, your Driver Rating will not increase, even if your results are very good."

Do we know how this works? Is it simply that you can never get higher in DR than in SR or is there more to it?
That could mean "no higher than" but I think I've seen a few B/C drivers the past few days. I'm guessing it's more that you cannot reach top rank without high SR and that you might be stuck down in D-E skill with super low SR as a bonus punishment that'd force someone to reform to be able to compete with anyone else. Some people will undoubtedly complain that they're being forced to play nice in their racing game, to which you should tell them that that stuff is only for Sport mode and they can terrorize their friends and random people in the normal lobbies instead. Or, preferably, go play a different game and leave their victims alone.

bombshell

That could mean "no higher than" but I think I've seen a few B/C drivers the past few days. I'm guessing it's more that you cannot reach top rank without high SR and that you might be stuck down in D-E skill with super low SR as a bonus punishment that'd force someone to reform to be able to compete with anyone else. Some people will undoubtedly complain that they're being forced to play nice in their racing game, to which you should tell them that that stuff is only for Sport mode and they can terrorize their friends and random people in the normal lobbies instead. Or, preferably, go play a different game and leave their victims alone.

The B DR - C SR drivers could have been B in both and then dropped to C in SR, but yeah ratings system is a bit unclear. However, I think that's probably for the best so the systems can't be gamed.

I read them as: "Okay, you are good on the track. You never collide or driving off track in a match. But you still very slow. So get your ass off to get higher DR. :D "

I think they have hidden laptime reference to measure your DR.

Another random bit on people frustrated with SR-- A lot of this is a "new game, new tracks" thing. It's hard to expect most players to nail braking zones down to within a tenth of a second every corner on every lap. Hell, I'm familiar with most of these but without a lot of repetition in each car class I know I'm not entirely consistent. Even in the C range right now I'd venture contact is rarely deliberate. When it's accidental to start with it makes the victim even more frustrated, though (and understandably so), and it's a hard cycle to break.

Look at it this way-- In other racing games you might never have the ability to fully purge the evil from online races. This way, even if it means a little frustration or a little extra effort for a week or two, you do get rewarded in the end. By the later weeks of the closed beta there were enough people with A and S-tier SRs that even races on the ovals were a thing that was possible without fear of getting murdered on the track. It does pay off.

mojo2

Neo Member
Don't dead sailor down a straight and bait someone to get in your draft and lock onto your ass thinking they'll just brake when they see your lights. Because that will fail and you'll get hit. Move around and be a little unpredictable. Fake them with a brake tap or something. Make them pick their own braking point.

Known hack tailgating you? Juke to the inside and brake early. Drop back a place and open your line back up as the pass. Get a comfortable late apex and get that throttle open early and try to catch their draft and you shouldn't end up very far behind them. Now pressure them and be patient.

You can do it. The race car is not the monster. You are the monster.

Appreciated. It hasn't even occurred to me that I should play those wreckers with fake braking.

I just got into great race with ace drivers. Worked my way to 13th and loved it, it's amazing how satisfying it is to come 13th! Race was full of great fighting, fair bit of fair little pushing and few broke their nerves as I was anticipating. Just watched for my opening and hit when they did mistake.

Loving it that my ratings went up big time even though I came 13th. It really gets you hooked.

That Maggiore Gr.4 race hasn't been good for my SR, but I do love that race. Driving the 458 on that track may have pushed me over the edge to Buy. I continue to struggle with that first and second turn though. I always either brake a bit too early or a bit too late.

edit: Also I wish the Activity Feed (or some other feed) had a history of all your races and data on them. Is this really not something we can access? I want all the nerdy charts and graphs about my times, my improvement, etc.

There are brake markers at the right on the straight IIRC. Always mark your braking points. The second corner is really tricky as it looks deceiving. Very slow in for this.

CRAZY TUNES ARE BACK! How did I not notice this before?!

I was messing with my pink smile emoji Evo and spending mileage points because I have no idea what the cap on those transferring is. After all upgrades it rates as N600! So I went into an arcade race, and sure enough, it's out on track against Ferraris and other crazy stuff, lol. With racing tyres it turned a lap faster than my old GT3 qualifying on Dragon Trail. AWESOME!
This makes no sense.

Which part? You are not allowed to touch the car while refueling
Refueling rules vary dramatically depending on the racing series. In the US, for example, NASCAR and Indycar you fuel while you do tyres. Most GT and endurance racing is tyres + fuel separate with lots of rules about how many pit members can be over the line at any given time. The GT series has always used that model in past games. The younger, naive me didn't understand why the two had to be separate, actually!

Not taking tyres is a big key in beating 6-2, btw. Saves a good 6 seconds.
It looks easier than PS3 episodes.
If those poles and wins are restricted to sport mode, these are way-the-crap harder than the PS3 sets for anyone not in the top 1% of skill rating. Effectively impossible without an A or S-rank DR, and a lot of time doing races where you'd just have to hope no one had a faster qualifying time and they screwed up during the race to gift you a win. Saying top 1% is probably pretty generous... 0.5% or less is more likely.

Animal

Banned
What wheel you come from? I am currently a long time G27 owner, using CronusMax to make it work on PS4. The T300 is tempting. I am due for an upgrade.

DFGT = Driving Force GT by Logitech.

T300 is smooth and quiet while being able to put out some serious forcefeedback and resistance. Also no center deadzone.

Top Bottom