• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport demo coming Oct. 9

I haven't been really wowed by the sound design so far, too many cars that sound like vacuum cleaners, but I entered the Gr.4 Lago Maggiore and oh man, the Ferrari 458 Italia. It sounds great and drives great. It lacks the midrange throaty growl of the the 458 (though that may be due to the Gr.4 upgrades? i dunno) and it lacks the burbles, but it's still a pleasure to hear driving around Maggiore.

Holy cow I got 1st place on an online race beating out 20 people. Was in 3rd at the 1st corner (my tyres didn't have grip) but made my move on the 3rd sector to take 1st and watched my mirrors as 2nd and 3rd slowed each other down.

Crayon

Okay thirty minutes of practice with motion steering and now I can beat the shit out of my tires without even thinking about it. So much more natural. It's like a poor man's wheel. This game just got even better.

bosh

Okay thirty minutes of practice with motion steering and now I can beat the shit out of my tires without even thinking about it. So much more natural. It's like a poor man's wheel. This game just got even better.

It only took 30 minutes ???

I remember trying out that control option in driveclub and it was decent. Maybe try again with GT . Do you find your times comparable ?

Crayon

It only took 30 minutes ???

I remember trying out that control option in driveclub and it was decent. Maybe try again with GT . Do you find your times comparable ?

Yeah it was easy to get used to. I haven't checked the times, but I can tell you I can drive a more like i would with a wheel using this.

It's more accurate to say that it is "easier" than "faster". I think it's faster by virtue of being easier.

Upinsmoke

Holy cow I got 1st place on an online race beating out 20 people. Was in 3rd at the 1st corner (my tyres didn't have grip) but made my move on the 3rd sector to take 1st and watched my mirrors as 2nd and 3rd slowed each other down.

It's such a buzz. I qualified first round brands hatch in the mazda by 200 tenths, going into turn two I was too cautious and got passed on the inside by a German. I got a good run on him coming out the last bend, down the start/finish line i moved to the right and he went to cover me off, I switched back to the left to find a more natural line into turn one. Of course he was busy watching me and came into the corner too tight meaning he went too wide , got into the gravel and completely lost the back-end:D

With all the praise for Lake Maggiore and Dragon Trail, I wonder what changes PD did to their course creation since GT5/6? Their original tracks in those games weren't too well like, particularly Cape Ring. But it seems like they regained their Deep Forest/Mid-Field magic for GTS.
Those are great, but I want Le Sarthe. Now. Like right now :)

Then Laguna Seca, Spa, and Monaco would be nice when they get a chance.

T300rs GT edition is sublime in this game. Got both the last two group 6 challenges done on first try and first time using the wheel. My old DFGT is a boat anchor compared to this wheel.

Maggiore and Dragon Trail tracks are delicious.

I need Grand Valley East and Spa back badly.

AI has surprised me several times with great battles.

What wheel you come from? I am currently a long time G27 owner, using CronusMax to make it work on PS4. The T300 is tempting. I am due for an upgrade.

Don't your arms get tired holding up the DS4 for that long?

--
That Gr.4 race was murder on my SR. People chilled out after a couple laps but yeesh, crashes everywhere, people taking turns way too slow which caused me to unfortunately give a couple love taps. Interesting that this race was a mix of DR though, E and D. I went up to D last night but haven't noticed less sloppiness or outright bumper cars behavior.

On the bright side, I just won a Merc SLS AMG GT3 for my daily.

Crayon

Don't your arms get tired holding up the DS4 for that long?

I'm sitting forward, with my elbows rested on my legs. It's definitely more physical. I don't feel like I'm holding up much weight really. I definitely feel like im moving noticably. There is a lot of wrist movement tho so that's not for everyone. My right one acts up, for instance.

As I get used to it, I'm holding the control pretty loosely and kind of rolling the ds4 between my hands. In fact I just changed my shift up to square and shift down to right dpad to accommodate the very relaxed grip on the controller. This seems to be alleviating some of the pressure on the wrist since I don't have to twist my wrists so much along with rolling the controller.

WoolyNinja

I'm loving this game but as I've mentioned previously they need to fix getting penalized for being hit from behind. I'm slowing down with everyone else then BAM, hit from behind and shot off course.

Penalty to me? What?!

Vuci

I don’t understand any of the sound complaints. It just seems like a meme at this point.

The wireframe engine animation and sound (specific to the car you selected?) when loading the gameplay makes me feel like Polyphony wanted to make a point.

GTS sounds incredible.

BeeDog

Never managed to try the online portion of the demo, but by all accounts here on GAF, I hope GAF has a good network/on-the-fly tweaking structure to adjust penalties fast and without humongous patches.

mojo2

Neo Member
Getting hit and spin four times on a single race and this thing goes from pre-order to never. Since you can't level up in lobbies, every dickhead is on the loose in Sport mode and it shows.
And yeah, I had decent qualifications.

I had three days of mostly clean driving but couple of fuck fests can really turn this thing upside down. They should able to punish rammers somehow. Like kick bad ones from race instantly.

Vuci

Getting hit and spin four times on a single race and this thing goes from pre-order to never. Since you can't level up in lobbies, every dickhead is on the loose in Sport mode and it shows.

I had three days of mostly clean driving but couple of fuck fests can really turn this thing upside down. They should able to punish rammers somehow. Like kick bad ones from race instantly.

Keep in mind that the beta is available to all. The main game, especially a few weeks after launch, should have a more dedicated community.

wrongway

Just tried that motion steering stuff myself and it's shockingly good. I can see my arms/shoulders getting tired of it on long races, but maybe some button tweaking would help me too.

The biggest down side is though that now I want a wheel even more. :p

bud

one thing that i hope they fix in the final release is the sequence you see right before the race starts when everyone's warming up their tires for a few seconds; the graphics and audio in that sequence are bizarrely awful.

Putty

Engine sounds are really great! Sound in general is really good. Collisions are especially nice...meaty and for once actually sound like they should...Nice to hear just the right amount of reverb in tunnels as well. Processing during replays is especially lovely...Anyone saying this thing still sounds like older GT titles isn't bring honest...

emjot

I think I need to get deeper into the hud customization and options today, didn't know you can map different fuel consumtion presets on the fly, that's pretty crazy.

The AI has its highs and lows, certainly more lows at the moment, but I see them fix this rather sooner than later. Thinking back to 5 or 6, I have not encountered a single race yet with the level of boring driving from the previous games, where the AI was just deadwood you had to pass in the first round on your way to hot lapping. They just need to fix player awareness somehow, you can never feel save in slow or tight corners lol. They're in deal with it mode far too often, pushing you off track even on the straights and seem to be less effected by the bumps themselves.
It can get frustrating, but I rather have it that way with a higher level of aggressiveness than having the zombie AI back.

mojo2

Neo Member
Keep in mind that the beta is available to all. The main game, especially a few weeks after launch, should have a more dedicated community.

That's true. And I did the unthinkable and watched the replay; the worst spin where I lost the fight was my mistake, nobody pushed me :D So all in all it was pretty tolerable race from all parties. Adrenaline got the best of me I guess. This thing is exhilarating.

Upinsmoke

Can you watch the replays after online races? I didn't have the option. Just took me straight to the final positions and I could only exit.
That's a shame because I won on my first try and would of really liked to keep that as I made no mistakes.

I don’t understand any of the sound complaints. It just seems like a meme at this point.

The wireframe engine animation and sound (specific to the car you selected?) when loading the gameplay makes me feel like Polyphony wanted to make a point.

GTS sounds incredible.

Some cars sound perfect, others are way off.

The BMW M4 is nowhere near the real life counterpart.

Dinjooh

They had playstation VR set up with GT Sport at a mall in my city and i walked away thoroughly impressed. It was running on a playstation pro and man did it feel good, frame rate was good and so were the visuals.. I only played for maybe 5 mins but I really walked away impressed.

Whereabouts was this?

Inside

I think many downloaded the demo for fun, who are not interested in the full game. People who usually play GTA, Burnout type of games where bumper cars is the common way of driving.

Dont you think many of these people will not buy the full game and only tried the demo because it was free? I think we will she more clean races after release than what we saw in the demo. And once your driver ranking us up, they will go away anyway

Can you watch the replays after online races? I didn't have the option. Just took me straight to the final positions and I could only exit.
That's a shame because I won on my first try and would of really liked to keep that as I made no mistakes.

Don't think so but you can save the replay. The option is in the top left corner.

I'm sitting forward, with my elbows rested on my legs. It's definitely more physical. I don't feel like I'm holding up much weight really. I definitely feel like im moving noticably. There is a lot of wrist movement tho so that's not for everyone. My right one acts up, for instance.

As I get used to it, I'm holding the control pretty loosely and kind of rolling the ds4 between my hands. In fact I just changed my shift up to square and shift down to right dpad to accommodate the very relaxed grip on the controller. This seems to be alleviating some of the pressure on the wrist since I don't have to twist my wrists so much along with rolling the controller.

Okay, I just tried the motion control with an intermediate Arcade race on Dragon's Tail with the Alfa 4C, got 1st place and matched my best time on the first go. It definitely felt fluid and natural, though the sensitivity didn't feel as crisp as with the stick. Maybe the settings need to be adjusted. But I did feel some strain in my upper arm even with that short of a race. Maybe if you could rig up some kind of supports for your arm.

--
I got my first like on a Scape I shared. Cool. But there was no way to check out the person's profile, and it looks like there's no way to view all the likes for a photo. A little thing, but I wanted to see who it was, what country they were from, etc.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

How will it be any better than Forza? I tried Forza 6 a few times and I don’t think a game has ever made me so angry and frustrated. If GT doesn’t have ways to manage that properly then it really puts me off.

I almost wish there was a trackmania style option where everyone is a ghost but racing live.

I think many downloaded the demo for fun, who are not interested in the full game. People who usually play GTA, Burnout type of games where bumper cars is the common way of driving.

Dont you think many of these people will not buy the full game and only tried the demo because it was free? I think we will she more clean races after release than what we saw in the demo. And once your driver ranking us up, they will go away anyway
43 GB is a big commitment, in my opinion nobody is doing that unless they're interested in and/or considering buying the game.

bombshell

10 minutes intervals are not enough if someone wants to do a race and then the one following that. A race lasts a little more than 5 minutes, with at least three minutes pre-race (matchmaking+warmup) and a minute post-race (results and back to the home screen).
20 minutes gives enough time to do some more quali.

But fear not, there should be more stuff to do once the racing season starts:

ThYm890.jpg

Do we know how these additional Sport mode championships will work? On the pop up screen when first entering Sport mode they mention championships, but not how they are different from the daily races.

artsi

How will it be any better than Forza? I tried Forza 6 a few times and I don't think a game has ever made me so angry and frustrated. If GT doesn't have ways to manage that properly then it really puts me off.

I almost wish there was a trackmania style option where everyone is a ghost but racing live.

I think he means that people who pay for an online motorsport game will take it more seriously, but the actual reason it will be better than Forza is the safety rating system.

It will cull out the bad drivers but you need to play for a while so you get a better rating, and get a spot among the better drivers. Meanwhile the bad drivers will get their ratings lowered when they continue their behaviour.

dstarMDA

How will it be any better than Forza? I tried Forza 6 a few times and I don’t think a game has ever made me so angry and frustrated. If GT doesn’t have ways to manage that properly then it really puts me off.

Each player has a specific Safety Rating related to their behavior. Over time, matchmaking will work things out if you truly are a good driver.

nw3

Something to try: I recommend setting the cockpit cam at maximum height and maximum length away from the windscreen.

On the real Brands Hatch, the level of compression you feel driving round and down the first corner after the main straight is insane, it literally feels like you're about to bury your car through the concrete.

This sensation obviously can't be fully replicated in GT, but I was disappointed how undramatic this part of the track felt compared to real life...that is until I made the camera changes above. You see less scenery/more track so it is a trade-off, but I feel a worthwhile one

Fredrik

I think I need to get deeper into the hud customization and options today, didn't know you can map different fuel consumtion presets on the fly, that's pretty crazy.

The AI has its highs and lows, certainly more lows at the moment, but I see them fix this rather sooner than later. Thinking back to 5 or 6, I have not encountered a single race yet with the level of boring driving from the previous games, where the AI was just deadwood you had to pass in the first round on your way to hot lapping. They just need to fix player awareness somehow, you can never feel save in slow or tight corners lol. They're in deal with it mode far too often, pushing you off track even on the straights and seem to be less effected by the bumps themselves.
It can get frustrating, but I rather have it that way with a higher level of aggressiveness than having the zombie AI back.
The "zombie AI" at least forced you to drive well, take the turns perfectly, find logic places to pass, etc. With the current AI you can't really do that, it's mostly about keeping yourself at a safe distance from all sides to not get smashed and spun out of control.
It's weird that GTS and FM7 is exactly the same in this regard. Is it really that difficult to make good AI behaviour? Can't they just put in a higher priority to keep away from the player? The biggest annoyance of douche online gaming has made it's way into the AI right now. :/

bombshell

How will it be any better than Forza? I tried Forza 6 a few times and I don't think a game has ever made me so angry and frustrated. If GT doesn't have ways to manage that properly then it really puts me off.

Let's say that we in the full game begin in Sportsmanship Rating B like in the demo.

If you a few weeks after launch have managed to rise to A in SR, then you will never be matched with unclean drivers, be it first timers doing their first races (they'll be in B) or intentional rammers (they'll be lucky to even be in B at that point, most likely they'll be in E).

Also for your ghost comment: I haven't looked into creating a lobby myself in the lobby mode, but I would not be surprised if the lobby creator can select an always ghost option.

Yes you will need PS+ in the full game for Sports mode.

Fuck! I play my PS4 so rarely I always forget you have to pay for online. I guess I could just pay for one month and see how I get on with the game, despite how distasteful I find it.

I dont really enjoy the rally but my god you get nice driving sensations right off the bat with the controller on Dragon Trail

Kinda wish they hadn't included any rally to be honest, it detracts from the other race mode and I have found it woefully lacking in comparison to something like Dirt Rally.

Do we know how these additional Sport mode championships will work? On the top up screen when first entering Sport mode they mention championships, but not how they are different from the daily races.

I'm guessing they will work similar to the daily races, starting at a set time but will be a series of races, instead of a single race, with an overall winner at the end, depending on finishing positions / points ect

Crayon

Something to try: I recommend setting the cockpit cam at maximum height and maximum length away from the windscreen.

On the real Brands Hatch, the level of compression you feel driving round and down the first corner after the main straight is insane, it literally feels like you're about to bury your car through the concrete.

This sensation obviously can't be fully replicated in GT, but I was disappointed how undramat opic this part of the track felt compared to real life...that is until I made the camera changes above. You see less scenery/more track so it is a trade-off, but I feel a worthwhile one

Co signed. I only move the up each by 1 point but same thing basically.

Top Bottom