• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto IV thread of hype and stray bullets

Status
Not open for further replies.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Well, in San Andreas you'll have to wear the helmet at all times if you decide to put it on, don't you? Like any other head-wear.

Hopefully, in GTA4, he'll take it off when he leaves the bike, and puts it on when i takes it.

Madman

newsguy said:
Dude, I beat the entire game and I don't even know what Prolaps is. Awesome name though... prolaps:lol
You've posted the second most amount of times in this thread (I'll let you guess whom number 1 is) so I must say I'm surprised to hear that. I thought there were hardcore GTA fans in this thread. Apparently I was wrong. :p

newsguy

Madman said:
You've posted the second most amount of times in this thread (I'll let you guess whom number 1 is) so I must say I'm surprised to hear that. I thought there were hardcore GTA fans in this thread. Apparently I was wrong. :p

I certainly am a hardcore fan, as I said, I played through and beat SA. When it comes to games I'm bad with deatils, perhaps I went there but have not idea I went there or what it was called. Just like Himuro didn't know the cafe in the original was called TW@. ZOMG HIMURO softcore confirmed! But seriously, I don't pay close attention to detatils, like I have no idea what the black guy's name is in Halo, or any of the names of the people in Bioshock. All games I love dearly.

I'd imagine that there would be none. Right?

Rockstar wants this game to be as realistic as possible (That's all this hypothesis is running on, anyway) I'm sure that the Euphoria engine would be more then capable of showing realtime effects to Niko's body. He'll probably stumble if he takes significant damage and hunch over if extremely low.

I wouldn't be surprised if his damage effects his mobility while taking cover.
Please note: I'm not an insider. I'm just a daydreamer.

GTA can't get here soon enough.

dejay

Banned
reminder said:
:lol @ all the people who played SA but didn't know that you can buy helmets.

Can you really blame people for not exploring all the shopping options in SA when the clothes selection was so irritatingly slow?

It'll be interesting to see how quickly you can jump on a bike (or steal one) and ride off in a hurry with the new helmet system.

If you're stealing a parked bike, where will you get the helmet from, and when you're stealing one from another rider, do you have to wrench off their's first? Interesting to see how they tackle it.

mileS

I'm assuming that behind the back shot is pretty much what It will look like when aiming. Looks really good.

Safe Bet

Banned
Himuro said:
Well, they said you won't die instantly if you're get shot in the head, so while they're making things more realistic, they're making it to the point where it's not fun.
I can't wait until GTAhowMMOsshouldbedesignedIV hits the streets!

I waited more than a year to play GTA:SA because it lacked online play and I didn't consider it worth the price but considering I ended up playing it longer than many of my mp game purchases, I'm Day One for this installment.

Madman

newsguy said:
I certainly am a hardcore fan, as I said, I played through and beat SA. When it comes to games I'm bad with deatils, perhaps I went there but have not idea I went there or what it was called. Just like Himuro didn't know the cafe in the original was called TW@. ZOMG HIMURO softcore confirmed! But seriously, I don't pay close attention to detatils, like I have no idea what the black guy's name is in Halo, or any of the names of the people in Bioshock. All games I love dearly.
I'm just messing with you dude. I know that GTA is a huge game and for someone to have explored all of it would be rare. :)

HiddenPackage2_518_1202407202.jpg

lexdysia

Banned

I pre-ordered this game (regular 360 version) today. I traded in Wii Play and a handful of others using a 20% coupon. I got $15 for Wii Play, which is funny if you think about that game's price and a certain accessory that comes with it (I kept the wii mote :lol )

X26

Banned
Iamthegamer said:
....the hell is the point of this?

R* has said that stealing cars own't be as simplistic this time around, the two buttons mgiht jsut indicate a minigame of sorts like hotwiring

Core407

Banned
X26 said:
R* has said that stealing cars own't be as simplistic this time around, the two buttons mgiht jsut indicate a minigame of sorts like hotwiring

So sick. I'm guessing different combinations for different makes and models.

No, i think it just literally means you have one button dedicated to getting in and out of cars, and one button to start them up (possibly the same button as accelerate, with it needing to be pressed initially to start the engine before you can hold it down to accelerate). I presume there'll be reasons for you to be inside a car without the engine on to flesh out the concept.

newsguy

X26 said:

Correct, they have mentioned that it's a type of minigame. I like that they're moving in this direction, it's defenitely more realistic that way. This wait would be so much easier if R* wasn't the stingiest developer ever when it comes to new anything. I guess the payoff is that you enter this city you know nothing about, like a virgin with your hymen exposed to the dong that is GTA4.

Goldrusher

Iamthegamer said:
....the hell is the point of this?

Realism. Getting in a car doesn't automatically start it.

It's actually something that always bugged me. Get in a parked car and bam, headlights and engine. Get out...and the car still has it's lights and engine going.

My guess (for PS-version): triangle will get you in, holding x for a second will start the engine
Getting out will automatically shut it off. Unless you run out, like you did to keep the doors open in the previous games.

Bring it on.

skynet

It would be really cool if they used the car starting mini game say during a mission where you have to escape quickly but the only vehicle available nearby was some beat up POS that was really hard to start - adding to the tension as the cops are bearing down on you.

Could be a really interesting addition! :D

skynet said:
It would be really cool if they used the car starting mini game say during a mission where you have to escape quickly but the only vehicle available nearby was some beat up POS that was really hard to start - adding to the tension as the cops are bearing down on you.

Could be a really interesting addition! :D

Push start it down a hill, then have to catch up and enjoy some hilarious Euphoria antics as Niko clings to the swinging door!

lexdysia

Banned
Correct, they have mentioned that it's a type of minigame. I like that they're moving in this direction, it's defenitely more realistic that way. This wait would be so much easier if R* wasn't the stingiest developer ever when it comes to new anything. I guess the payoff is that you enter this city you know nothing about, like a virgin with your hymen exposed to the dong that is GTA4.

:lol :lol :lol

lexdysia

Banned
shagg_187 said:
Maybe because everyone stopped playing after that MOTHERFUCKING TOYCHOPPER MISSION :mad:

That is where I stopped. lol.

EDIT: Oh wait, was that actually VC? The Texas dude's mission. Oh well, no more of that plz R*.

GeoramA

shagg_187 said:
Maybe because everyone stopped playing after that MOTHERFUCKING TOYCHOPPER MISSION :mad:
:lol Supply Lines? You get access to Prolaps way before you do that mission.

And it was a RC Baron, which was more of a bitch to control than the toy chopper.

Madman

GeoramA said:
:lol Supply Lines? You get access to Prolaps way before you do that mission.

And it was a RC Baron, which was more of a bitch to control than the toy chopper.
That mission was so fucking hard.

I'm one of those people who liked the Driver series, so this image gets me all worked up.
1202305963.jpg

Vehicle physics and car chases is what it's all about. And this image contains a lot of velocity and suspense...ion, telling me that that stuff might be pretty awesome.

GeoramA

Goreomedy said:
Official website tomorrow?

:faints:
Can't wait. GTA flash sites are so awesome. I hope it's a lot like the San Andreas one where you can navigate to almost anywhere on the map, with pictures and videos of certain locations.

Kabouter

shagg_187 said:
The toy chopper one? That wasn't that hard was it? I thought everyone had problems with the toy plane one, which is weird, because it really wasn't THAT hard, not with keyboard controls anyway, maybe it's more difficult with a pad.

MaddenNFL64

GTA4 definitely has more style than Saints Row artistically. And going the realism route will set it far apart from SR2. Now I wanna see if GTA4 can be as well executed gameplay wise as Saints Row was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom