• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto IV thread of hype and stray bullets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jtrizzy

the only reason it was better on ps2 was because of the controller. XBOX version looked better and had custom sound tracks, but those little black and white buttons made life miserable for most games. Obviously that won't be a problem this time around.

Himuro said:
I'd imagine the xbox versions play better now that the 360 controller maps black/white to LB/RB.

I've been looking for the GTA trilogy boxset Xbox version for a fucking year.

Your better off finding 3 and Vice used and then just buy San And. It's what I had to do.

KGKK

Banned
I hope by the time this game comes out, we may be able to add custom tracks in the PS3 version. Sony are you fucking listening!!!!:D

alba

Little is the new Big
nice find there :)

I wish they'd add some videos weekly or something because the wait is soooo hard, can't wait for more details at GDC or something (hopefully)

Safe Bet said:
:lol

Pull the right or left trigger while trying to use the right or left bumber pad at the same time and then try and tell me what a piece of joy it is.
Right trigger + left bumper (and vice versa) = success. If you really want to you can push all four of them at the same time. Though obviously developers won't be using such retarded control schemes.

Besides, is this supposed to be a 360 exclusive controller issue? Because it isn't.

Safe Bet

Banned
Himuro said:
When is it ever necessary to do that in any game?
It hard to express this but...

I rest a finger on each bumper when using Sony controllers so I don't have to move my finger from one bumper to another.

One Finger on R1
One Finger on R2
One Finger on L1
One Finger on L2

It helps with input accuracy and input speed.

That's impossible with the 360 controller in my experience.

PS

Each system's controllers has it faults.

Wollan

Same as Safe Bet. I move my pointing fingers to R2/L2 though if that's the shooting triggers (which is the default setup in GTA).

WrikaWrek

Banned
Safe Bet said:

I rest a finger on each bumper when using Sony controllers so I don't have to move my finger from one bumper to another.

One Finger on R1
One Finger on R2
One Finger on L1
One Finger on L2

PS

That positioning of the hand completely ruins the positioning of the thumbs on the analogs.

In my experience at least.

dejay

Banned
Pathetic fanboy controller comparisons aside, does anyone know if the car acceleration and braking is going to be on the face buttons or on the analogue triggers?

Mrbob

Himuro said:
I'd imagine the xbox versions play better now that the 360 controller maps black/white to LB/RB.

I've been looking for the GTA trilogy boxset Xbox version for a fucking year.

Xbox originals. Believe.

deejay8595

my posts are "MEH"
Long-time GTA modder spaceeinstein found another new screenshot hidden inside of the official site. While there's a good chance the image was simply placed in the wrong directory, it does seem to suggest that Rockstar has more subsections ready and waiting to open up as the release date approaches.
http://www.gta4.net/news/index.php
3961_bean-machine.jpg

Wollan

In any case, if anyone is expecting a glitch free experience with ultra sharp graphics around every corner then you're expecting too much.
With a game so ambitious there will always be odd things from time to time.

MercuryLS

Banned
Safe Bet said:

One Finger on R1
One Finger on R2
One Finger on L1
One Finger on L2

PS

People actually play games like that? four fingers on the shoulders? :lol

I've got two fingers on the shoulders and move them around based on what I want to press. I don't know of a single game outside of MGS3 (with it's shitty control scheme) that had you press 3-4 shoulders at the same time, or a trigger and bumper together.

dejay

Banned
MercuryLS said:

I've got two fingers on the shoulders and move them around based on what I want to press. I don't know of a single game outside of MGS3 (with it's shitty control scheme) that had you press 3-4 shoulders at the same time, or a trigger and bumper together.

GTA SA and Ace Combat 6 on the 360, to name two, require simultaneous pressage [sic] of bumpers and triggers to achieve maximum controllability. The technique is really quite easy once you've put in an hour or two like that and it does give you more options.

Zabka

MercuryLS said:

Thee SSX series was designed around using all 4 shoulder buttons in various combinations. Also, I think higher level play with Nero in DMC4 is a little easier with the Sixaxis.

Besides that though...not many.

MercuryLS said:

Not unless I absolutely need to. Triggers are meant to be pulled with the trigger fingers.

And aren't these Controller Wars distracting us from the true purpose of this thread? Let's get back ontopic; I'll start:

OMG GTA4 3 MONTHS HOW WILL I SURVIVE AHHHHH

MercuryLS

Banned
Zabka said:
Thee SSX series was designed around using all 4 shoulder buttons in various combinations. Also, I think higher level play with Nero in DMC4 is a little easier with the Sixaxis.

Besides that though...not many.

Yeah I remember that in SSX actually, it worked out pretty well IIRC. Most games make you use the bumper together or the triggers together, and from what I've read of GTAIV's control scheme this seems to be a moot point.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Wollan said:
Hopefully they will have midnight launches.

We are pretty much guaranteed of that in the states. We are going to get a midnight launch for Brawl when it comes out.

Yeah it's going to be a fucking mad house. It won't be as big as Halo 3's but it will come close. My GameStop had at least 200 people outside on that night.

Himuro said:
OKAY. I'VE GOT A PLAN ALREADY.

TOMORROW I AM BUYING 200 PACKS OF RAMEN FOR 20 BUCKS AND I WILL SURVIVE ON THAT UNTIL APRIL 29TH. IN THE MEAN TIME I WILL HAVE A ROBOT ME DO MY SCHOOL SWORD AND ATTEND MY SOCIAL GATHERINGS WHILE I LIVE OUTSIDE THE LOCAL MALL READY TO PICK GRAND THEFT AUTO IV UP AT 12:00 AM TUESDAY APRIL 29

OMGGGGG

Himuro said:
OKAY. I'VE GOT A PLAN ALREADY.

TOMORROW I AM BUYING 200 PACKS OF RAMEN FOR 20 BUCKS AND I WILL SURVIVE ON THAT UNTIL APRIL 29TH. IN THE MEAN TIME I WILL HAVE A ROBOT ME DO MY SCHOOL SWORD AND ATTEND MY SOCIAL GATHERINGS WHILE I LIVE OUTSIDE THE LOCAL MALL READY TO PICK GRAND THEFT AUTO IV UP AT 12:00 AM TUESDAY APRIL 29

OMGGGGG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom