• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto IV thread of hype and stray bullets

Status
Not open for further replies.

WrikaWrek

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
If people want both versions then what's the big deal?

If people want to buy the same game twice, it's their decision, albeit a retarded one, and i would never recommend a friend of mine to pay twice the $ for the same game.

But, again, if you wanna do it do it. However, if the reason is because the Ps3 will have exclusive DLC, well your mind will probably change when the game hits then, because again, exclusive content, taking into account all the rumous and reports is only 360 bound.

Obviously, you'll never see me say "Yeah man, buy both versions", as i consider it a waste of money.

Teknoman

- there's a new 'dashboard view' available on cars

Would that be a first person view from inside the car? That might be pretty fun to drive around in, especially if the inside of the cars are detailed and you can see the steering wheel and whatnot.

keyrat

I hope the cheats are good. I felt the cheats in the past GTA games really gave the game ten times the replay value.

I also hope the whole map isn't open from the start. I prefer sticking to one area for a good while before moving on, and if I get anxious or just want to mess around, well dodo code and 5 stars for being where i'm not supposed to be.

alba

Little is the new Big
No, the game is completed and they're polishing things and getting rid of the bugs... it was written in a preview but I can't find it again, damnit :D

EDIT: The game has now essentially been completed. Rockstar are just polishing the game and dealing with bugs, glitches and minor things.

See it here

Stantron

2250723255_b5da2a3265_o.gif

Are those teal booths in the background Porta Potties? Ohhh, we can have lots of fun with those.

Can anyone think of Russian mob or other types of film that may help set the mood for GTAIV?

Eastern Promises was awesome, IMO. Anything else I can Netflix?

Ranger X

2250723255_b5da2a3265_o.gif

This is the car of details we just received about the game and i'm the guy crossing the street getting hit by the awesome.

Only one negative thing: the fucking blood splatering on the screen. Aren't gamer getting tired of that stupid stuff? Games are trying to get immersive and every fucking time they do this shit that reminds you you're a fucking camera and not the character on-screen wich is totally counter-immersive (and stupid to begin with. Like my eyes are receiving shit in them if i'm splatered by something lol)

From what I've read I see no mention of buses. I don't mean school or Grayhound-type buses but rather NYC/MTA-type city buses. Any regular routes run by city buses that Niko could use to get around? I know the past GTA games had buses but they didn't play that much of a role.

Love how this game is shaping up so far in terms of detail

Wollan

I never saw the actual text in the city panorama view on the official site (the city caught all my attention).

'Welcome to Liberty City - Gateway to America! Now, can we just scan your retina and have a DNA sample?' :lol

Yoboman

WrikaWrek said:
So gamemasters says PS3 will have DLC and that's it? Their word is law?

As far as all rumors and official reports point to, exclusive content is only on the 360.

I guess there will be DLC content that is shared across both versions, like guns and shit like that.

I don't see the point in buying both versions, comparisons to Pokemon Red and Blue are stupid and unfounded.
Would it really be all that surprising if Sony had worked out a deal to get its own DLC packs or something of the sort with Rockstar?

Mrbob

How far off will the PC version be though?

All the GTA SA mods on PC make me want to give this version a whirl. I don't want to wait another 6 months though.

Oh and I don't think MS fronted 50 million dollars for two missions.

Mrbob said:
Oh and I don't think MS fronted 50 million dollars for two missions.
Those are exclusive missions out of the box. The 50 millions are without any doubts for much greater expansions. Seeing as with all those moneys you could fund the development of two complete games, I'm expecting much more something like new cities connected to Liberty City, with standalone storylines and so on.

bluheim

Banned
WrikaWrek said:
If people want to buy the same game twice, it's their decision, albeit a retarded one, and i would never recommend a friend of mine to pay twice the $ for the same game.

Believe it or not, Rockstar will never let 5 millions+ PS3 owners of GTA IV don't have the oportunity to pay for exclusive downloadable contents. Thinking that there will not be exclusive PS3 DLC when PS3 GTA IV outsell 2 or 3 times the 360 one in Europe is pretty much naive.

Odrion

Banned
Spider_Jerusalem said:
Those are exclusive missions out of the box. The 50 millions are without any doubts for much greater expansions. Seeing as with all those moneys you could fund the development of two complete games, I'm expecting much more something like new cities connected to Liberty City, with standalone storylines and so on.
Why do you fill us with such hope? :[

Jtrizzy

BenjaminBirdie said:
I'd love an internal calendar that follows the game seasons and have the city go nuts when the sports teams win a pennant or something.

But that's just crazy talk.

"Brady got stomped out" should be added to the voices of the pedestrians.

Jtrizzy

Mindlog said:
- niko's feet land on every step when you go up stairs

That's been bugging me a lot in games lately. I had been wondering when someone would finally address that little detail :D

and Rockstar is so getting sued for abusing LRH technology

Yeah that's one thing Uncharted doesn't do well.

Lobster

Banned
Himuro said:
GTAIV pc version announcement on the horizon?

Poster SlimTrashman at gtagaming posted this:

I hope so :\ I really want to play it on PC..

:(

If not..I'll eventually have to pick up a Ps3/360..

GTA4 is definitely too big to miss.

anyone have any good multi-player info? I found this but I don't know how reliable it is:

Found this brief description before the source site (destructoid) yanked it!

"GTA IV will contain a deep multiplayer mode, including deathmatch, team play ("Cops 'n Crooks"), and some sort of ranked cooperative missions. Our source specifically talks about modes called "Deal Breaker," "Bomb da Base," and something called "Hangman's Noose," but gives no further details. The game will also feature ranked multiplayer races, likely across the game's open roads of Liberty City."

newsguy

speculawyer said:
anyone have any good multi-player info? I found this but I don't know how reliable it is:

That's actually more than I've seen. R* has kept tight lipped about multi until now. Man a cops and robbers mode would be the shit though. Popping guys tires while they try and escape and watching the car flip would be the ultimate wow moment online.

newsguy said:
That's actually more than I've seen. R* has kept tight lipped about multi until now. Man a cops and robbers mode would be the shit though. Popping guys tires while they try and escape and watching the car flip would be the ultimate wow moment online.
After reading your scenario, it BETTER be true! :lol

Geezer

Broken water pistol loaded with piss
I guess Arcade/Core users will be left out in the cold when it comes to the online modes? Like with Crackdown/Burnout Paradise.

Geezer said:
I guess Arcade/Core users will be left out in the cold when it comes to the online modes? Like with Crackdown/Burnout Paradise.
Well, the arcade is online capable. Although sometimes a HDD is needed for some games . . . Final Fantasy for example.

But any xbox owner can upgrade and get online.

newsguy said:
Yeah that would be pretty cool. It would be pretty cool to enjoy an in-car camera viewpoint as you car flips out of control too. :D

traveler

Not Wario
How far after the console versions of GTA are the PC versions traditionally released? I've never played a single GTA before, but I'm thinking about trying this one out and, given the comments here regarding the performance of the series, I'd like to get on 360. (If it turns out that it will be a while, though, I'd be fine with getting the 360 version, I suppose.)

The Chef

Just watched American Gangster last night for the first time. What a great movie.

The whole "Scarface" concept of rising into awesome power is beyond cool. Anyway, the point being - after watching that movie I realized that I am more excited about GTA4 than I am about any other game. Of course im excited about resistance 2 and MGS4 and Killzone 2 but, i dunno, its a different excitement with GTA. Kinda like a "I would camp all night for this game" kinda excitement.

Kuran

Banned
So there's no co-op? How long has that been known? That Kotaku article just halved my excitement... after Crackdown, I expect nothing less in my open world games.

There's really only one main character, so it wouldn't fit," Barrera said.

Thats not an excuse, just introduce a second character, or allow people to choose random skins.. it doesn't need to be a story-mode, just random missions would be fine! Anything!

xbhaskarx

Yoboman said:
Would it really be all that surprising if Sony had worked out a deal to get its own DLC packs or something of the sort with Rockstar?

If that was the case, it would be big news.
Why is Sony not loudly bragging about their exclusive DLC packs?

traveler said:
How far after the console versions of GTA are the PC versions traditionally released? I've never played a single GTA before, but I'm thinking about trying this one out and, given the comments here regarding the performance of the series, I'd like to get on 360. (If it turns out that it will be a while, though, I'd be fine with getting the 360 version, I suppose.)

6 months. With some luck, there will be a price-drop on the 360 before GTA IV is released.

Stantron

xbhaskarx said:
Why is Sony not loudly bragging about their exclusive DLC packs?
Probably because it's not exclusive, but rather additional shared content with the 360. The separate 360 exclusive DLC will likely be much larger anyway.

I want multiplayer news :(. The singleplayer will obviously be sex but I really want to know how deep they are going on the online side of things :)

The Chef said:
Well . . . keep it in context . . . that is a Rockstar person pushing that puffery.

"We decided we wanted to go back to the basics and reimagine the world," Jeronimo Barrera, Rockstar Games Vice President of Product Development, says. "The results have been incredible."

Grand Theft Auto IV is, its creators tell me, the biggest leap forward in experiential sandbox gaming to ever come to the franchise, larger even than the one that brought the once 2D top-down series into the third dimension.

"In many ways it's a bigger leap going from San Andreas to GTA IV than it was going from 2D to 3D," Barrera says.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom