• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto IV thread of hype and stray bullets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuran

Banned
Kuran said:
So there's no co-op? How long has that been known? That Kotaku article just halved my excitement... after Crackdown, I expect nothing less in my open world games.

Quoted because its damn important!

WrikaWrek

Banned
Yoboman said:
Would it really be all that surprising if Sony had worked out a deal to get its own DLC packs or something of the sort with Rockstar?

Yes i do. And if they did, you would've heard it by now no?!

bluheim said:
Believe it or not, Rockstar will never let 5 millions+ PS3 owners of GTA IV don't have the oportunity to pay for exclusive downloadable contents. Thinking that there will not be exclusive PS3 DLC when PS3 GTA IV outsell 2 or 3 times the 360 one in Europe is pretty much naive.

Maybe if you believe it enough it will happen. I won't stop you.

There is, it seems, a moment of breathless anticipation as Bellic jumps from the car and runs past rows of gas pumps. He turns to see dozens of police cars descending on his still smoking car. And then the world explodes, the image on the screen literally blurs as the car, the gas station and all of the police cars near it turn into a blooming fireball.

Yeeeah...i want this game.

"The beauty of our games is that we don't hire a research firm to figure out what we should be making games about."

Instead they make it about the things that interest them, and it it shows.

And this my friends, is why so many games these days are shit and uninspired.

Sony already got their exclusive content. It's called Liberty City Stories and Vice City Stories.

GTAIV will be plenty awesome all on its own even without some extra missions via DLC you'll have to pay for later.

GQman2121

Banned
Is there anywhere online that you can buy that IV hat that Shane is always rocking? There's like no place online that sells quality gaming gear.

blindrocket said:
GTAIV will be plenty awesome all on its own even without some extra missions via DLC you'll have to pay for later.

Of course, but some options are always cooler than none. Like expandable but universal HDDs, free online, and 50 gigs of space on a disc.

Undoubtedly the PS3 is a less restrictive gaming system. By the same token, GTA4 for the 360 is the less restrictive version.

Both are more robust than their competitors.

Remy

Kuran said:
So there's no co-op? How long has that been known? That Kotaku article just halved my excitement... after Crackdown, I expect nothing less in my open world games.

Thats not an excuse, just introduce a second character, or allow people to choose random skins.. it doesn't need to be a story-mode, just random missions would be fine! Anything!

Kuran said:
Quoted because its damn important!

Kuran said:
Why does nobody care about the lack of co-op?!

3 posts in 90 minutes lamenting the lack of co-op? Really?

No coop? Well...free roam at least right? :\. Oh well...Saints Row 2 probably won't be superior to GTA IV, but it should be fuck awesome for story based coop.

yeah, I REALLY need to get an HDTV before April 29th. It will be criminal to play this any other way.

Tax refund + stimulus check + grad money = gaming nirvana

Himuro said:
Well, didn't expect, but it'd be nice. My cousin and I often play GTA together when we hang out and we switch turns playing. It'd be great if we could play together and wreck havok.

Oh ok. I always expected it to be along the lines of the handheld versions multiplayer modes.

Guy LeDouche said:
yeah, I REALLY need to get an HDTV before April 29th. It will be criminal to play this any other way.

Tax refund + stimulus check + grad money = gaming nirvana

You won't get that stimulus check before April 29th. :) But nice to see you're going to simulating the economy.

And gaming nirvana can be attained by playing this game on any setup, right guys? :D

newsguy

The bad guy is thrown from the car, sliding across the bridge to stop near the railing, and then the car explodes, catapulting the would-be informant up and off the bridge.

The Rockstar guys erupt into laughter. "Did he just go off the bridge?" one asks, laughing.

This is so awesome. Can you imagine being the rep, you've done this same demo 30 times with the exact same scenario. Now you're doing it and you ask your co-worker "Did he just go off the bridge?" and laugh about it. This tells me 2 things right off the bat, anything can happen no matter how many times you replay missions, and the game is so amazing that even the guys who see it everyday are still baffled by it. This game is reaching epic hype and I think it will actually surpass it.

newsguy

Francias Castiglione said:
The content/cost ratio should be reasonable, they've seen what people will pay for. ~10 hours per episode was the talk when they were announced, somewhere around $20 would seem likely.

I'll buy it at a high price.

Ranger X

Francias Castiglione said:
The content/cost ratio should be reasonable, they've seen what people will pay for. ~10 hours per episode was the talk when they were announced, somewhere around $20 would seem likely.

If GTA4 was 30hours worth of content i'd say it's a good price. But it's not. Those download of "10 hours worth of content" shouldn't cost a penny more than 10$. They certainly wouldn't be tierce the value of the content from the original game.

When you mean no co-op, you mean no story mode or no fucking-around-the-city mode? I can understand the former but if the latter isn't included, I'll be quite sad to have to go back to Crackdown.

Ranger X said:
If GTA4 was 30hours worth of content i'd say it's a good price. But it's not. Those download of "10 hours worth of content" shouldn't cost a penny more than 10$. They certainly wouldn't be tierce the value of the content from the original game.

If the content extends to multiplayer and free-roam then it will accumulate to more than ten hours. Ten hours is SP story mode stuff.

newsguy

Wollan said:
He shoots a helicopter with a bazooka which earns him a One Man Army achievement.

Yes, but I suspect because the achievment is calld "one man army" it may also have to do with all of the cop cars he blew up. Maybe you kill a certain amount of law enforcement to get it.

"Oh, a gas station," someone in the room says.

There is, it seems, a moment of breathless anticipation as Bellic jumps from the car and runs past rows of gas pumps. He turns to see dozens of police cars descending on his still smoking car. And then the world explodes, the image on the screen literally blurs as the car, the gas station and all of the police cars near it turn into a blooming fireball.

_dd_

Grimm Fandango said:
When you mean no co-op, you mean no story mode or no fucking-around-the-city mode? I can understand the former but if the latter isn't included, I'll be quite sad to have to go back to Crackdown.

I agree completely.

xbhaskarx

Kotaku said:
Why can't Rockstar use GTA as a platform, I ask. Why bother coming up with another GTA for this generation of consoles, couldn't the developer just create episodes for the game and live off that?

"We are calling the downloadable content (coming to the Xbox 360) episodes," he said.

But it's "an experiment" they're quick to add. Right now Rockstar doesn't seem sure that there are enough users with access to online content on the 360 to make it worthwhile for them to continue pumping out episodes.

So that means if the DLC sells well enough, they will pump out more episodes?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Per-reserved at gamestop with about 50dollars down on it ^_^

I won't be buying another game till it comes out either. about 3 months:lol

Wollan

The 'Whiz Wireless' video showing people crossing the street at the correct time, with heaps of animating ads on huge skyscrapers in the background really shows how the whole thing has moved forward. It's alive.

You know, I was one of the few people out there who could really care less about this game. I was just burned out on the series as a whole, but IV has got a lot of potential, and may actually be quite a good game and truly moves the genre and the series forward. Yeah, I'm late to the GTA:IV party, but what I've seen and read of late has made me do a double take.

It's going to be a different type of leap. With GTA4 they send to be going for a level of immersion we've never seen before in an open ended game. And if they can achieve that, as some of the previews have suggested, then it'll be as big of a leap I think.

newsguy

Apharmd Battler said:
Yeah, I'm late to the GTA:IV party, but what I've seen and read of late has made me do a double take.

There's cake on the dinner table if you like. Help yourself to some Vodka. Don't drink the punch though, I peed in it.

golem

that kotaku preview makes it sound like theyve really worked on making everything better in GTA... cant wait to give it a spin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom