• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto IV thread of hype and stray bullets

Status
Not open for further replies.
I paid in full thankfully because I had $120 in Gamestop gift cards. $60 went to my preorder of GTAIV, the other $60 goes to Metal Gear Solid 4. :D

AgentOtaku said:
true true...but realized its a definite no go for PS3 version if they map fire to R2 without letting player remap buttons (>___<)

i really doubt they will, especially because L2 can be half-pressed for free aim. i don't like it either but i guess i'll have to get used to it.

Not only am I pre-ordering this game. I'm also buying a thermal sleeping bag, a metallic briefcase and a pair of handcuffs.

I may have to eat a light laxative while heading home. If everything is timed right, I will shit as I walk through the door. I've never expelled a briefcase key before. I hope it doesn't hurt.

If the laxative persists; I'll just have to move the tv into the bathroom... OR I could construct an elaborate series of mirrors. mwhahaha this is going to be fucking awesome.

cindah

Banned
I almost feel like I don't need to preorder this time around.

Retailer/Publisher knowledge of past GTA Sales > People wanting it week one, minus the extra flux of the soccer moms buying it as xmas gifts in previous years.

Though, it could also be the three times I reserved it at EB, and Best Buy gets it days earlier, and I buy two copies.

ChrisD84

Other neat tweaks include a cinematic mode which slows time to a crawl on the fly and can be used at anytime in the game, making it easier to do things like slip through rush hour traffic at high speeds

What? First time i've heard anything about this.

X26 said:
first I've heard of cinematic mode, not sure what to think about it

Same here.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Hmmmmmmmm. As long as the cinematic mode is user toggled and never game toggled, sounds good. I don't want Nico going Matrix on me unless I tell him to.

I'm just now getting into the hype, and all I can say is...I should have waited till next month to read everything. Gah, what a long wait. :(

X26

Banned
The pills in VC were kinda fun to use at times, although once you went into a vehicle the effect went away immediately. I dunno it's good for a cheat code, but sounds really out of place if it's modeled after something like Max Payne

newsguy

chubigans said:
I'm just now getting into the hype, and all I can say is...I should have waited till next month to read everything. Gah, what a long wait. :(

I agree. At first April 29th sounded so close. Now I'm looking into lucid dream technology to hold me over for the next couple of months.

FightyF

Banned
chubigans said:

I've been avoiding this thread because of this. And so now, while doing homework, I had the brilliant idea to check it out to waste even more time. But after reading your post, I'm gonna stay away from this thread after I hit "submit". I'll be back in a month. :p

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
FYI Steam has a GTA bundle up for $29 that includes GTA, GTA2, GTA III, Vice City and San Andreas.

Rockstar also re-released the three PS2 games in NON-GH PACKAGING for $29.

raYne

Metalmurphy said:
Hum, it says the PS3 version is getting DLC as well. How unexpected... :p
No one said it wouldn't, just that the 360 ver would have exclusive dlc.

edit:
Beaten.

Forsees "PS3 having it's own exclusive content!" posts a'coming

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
raYne said:
No one said it wouldn't, just that the 360 ver would have exclusive dlc.

edit:
Beaten.

Forsees "PS3 having it's own exclusive content!" posts a'coming

Beaten! you missed bluheim's post earlier. However, he's easy to ignore considering.

bluheim

Banned
squatingyeti said:
Beaten! you missed bluheim's post earlier. However, he's easy to ignore considering.

:lol

squatingyeti said:
PS3 will outsell Xbox 360 by only 1 million in 2008.

Talk about easy to ignore.

Anyway :

has anyone (that's not PSM) seen the ps3 version yet?

I'd like to know too. Wasn't IGN supposed to have something on the PS3 version in Feb ?

dejay

Banned
I laugh at the PS3 owners clutching at straws every time PS3 DLC is mentioned. It's like they read the stuff they want to read and their eyes magically slide past the stuff they don't want to read.

For the record I own both systems and will buy GTA IV on whatever system turns out to support it best, which is the 360 at this point in time. Hell, I'll probably buy it on PS3 and PC as well - I'm obsessed with GTA!

dejay

Banned
raYne said:
Last I heard, they were performing the same. ie "smooth".

I've read a couple of review that mentioned the frame rates got a little choppier in the denser parts of the city. I don't think the game is going to be the smooth experience everyone is hoping for, but it's going to be acceptable.

If the frame rate is above 15 fps in a huge fire fight, I'll be ok with that. While I loved Saints Row, some of the FBI shootouts got REALLY bad in the frame rate department. I'm talking 5 fps bad.

Wowhawk

Banned
All this hype has made me want to buy all the previous GTA. Is there a box set or something I can buy that includes GTA III --> San Andreas? Or should I just buy them separately? =D

Tr4nce

Great info on those 2 pages, although we know the most of it. And why is everyone whining about the lack of a Co-op mode? GTA was ment to be played solo, bitches! :D

newsguy

Goldrusher said:
Anyone have good questions for an interview / hands-on ?

What exactly is the process when stealing a parked car?

Do heads explode this time around? Like will a shotgun to the face cause the face to come off?

Any details on multi, specifically a cops and robbers mode.

What exactly is the deal with stop lights? Will running a stop light really bring heat from the cops or will it just add more cops to your tail if you're already being chased?

Is Lazlow back?

can we expect easter eggs in the internet? Like can we type in random names and unlock little side missions?

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Wowhawk said:
All this hype has made me want to buy all the previous GTA. Is there a box set or something I can buy that includes GTA III --> San Andreas? Or should I just buy them separately? =D

See my post above. You have a couple choices.

For PS2 there is a $29 box that has GTAIII through San Andreas.
c4d21363ada0948802e7f010.L.jpg

On PC you can get GTA, GTA2, GTAIII, Vice City, and San Andreas for $29 through Steam.

For Xbox, LOL.

Playing GTAIII on the PC right now.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
dejay said:
I laugh at the PS3 owners clutching at straws every time PS3 DLC is mentioned. It's like they read the stuff they want to read and their eyes magically slide past the stuff they don't want to read.

What's the stuff PS3 GTA owners don't want to read, aside from the fact that the 360 is getting episodic content at some point in the future, which we knew almost a year ago?

X26

Banned
I hope robbery makes a return, havne't heard anything about it yet. Stick ups in VC were fun, albeit simple while home invasions in SA SUCKED. That's one element I hope R* has taken form Saints Row because robbery in that game was fucking awesome.

Get in your car, grab a few of your homies and roll on down to a store. Point your gun at the shopkeeper, and while you do that your friends do the same with anybody else in the store. Then the clerk leads you to the back where the safe is and you get cash AND even a box of goods you can chuck into your car and cash in somewhere else. Really great gameplay element.

X26 said:
I hope robbery makes a return, havne't heard anything about it yet. Stick ups in VC were fun, albeit simple while home invasions in SA SUCKED. That's one element I hope R* has taken form Saints Row because robbery in that game was fucking awesome.

Get in your care, grab a few of your homies and roll on down to a store. Point your gun at the shopkeeper, and while you do that your friends do the same with anybody else in the store. Then the clerk leads you to the back where the safe is and you get cash AND even a box of goods you can chuck into your car and cash in somewhere else. Really great gameplay element.

yeah the hold-ups in Saints Row were amazing, probably my favorite feature of that game. Waiting just long enough for the shop owner to open the safe to crack him right in the fucking face!

Dr_Cogent

Banned
BobTheFork said:
put in my preorder yesterday. still not really feeling the hype yet, but its still a ways off.

Fuck, I bought into the hype over a year ago. I knew Rockstar wasn't going to fuck this up. This game is going to be epic.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Goldrusher said:
Anyone have good questions for an interview / hands-on ?
What do you say to PS3 owners who will see the X360 get more content for GTAIV and feel they are getting an incomplete experience?

newsguy

X26 said:

Get in your car, grab a few of your homies and roll on down to a store. Point your gun at the shopkeeper, and while you do that your friends do the same with anybody else in the store. Then the clerk leads you to the back where the safe is and you get cash AND even a box of goods you can chuck into your car and cash in somewhere else. Really great gameplay element.

Damn dude, thanks for reminding me about those. Another thing Saint's Row did well. I lol'ed when I robbed the fat lady in the clothing store. After she opened the safe she said something but I didn't let her finish. I put one in her noggin and got the hell out of there.

DenogginizerOS said:
What do you say to PS3 owners who will see the X360 get more content for GTAIV and feel they are getting an incomplete experience?

That's actually a really good question. I'm not really bothered by the lack of downloadable content but it's obviously playing a role for others.

dejay

Banned
chubigans said:
What's the stuff PS3 GTA owners don't want to read, aside from the fact that the 360 is getting episodic content at some point in the future, which we knew almost a year ago?

I'm referring to those PS3 owners who think that any mention of DLC for PS3 automatically confirms that they're going to be getting their own exclusive content comparable to the stuff that MS paid a shit load of money for. Obviously I'm not referring to all, or even most PS3 owners; just those too hopeful to read things objectively.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom