• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto IV thread of hype and stray bullets

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I would like to see come Jan 23rd;

-No more LT/Lock on target. Either get over the shoulder aiming or go for Saint's Row complete manual control.
- Cover system please. I want some intense, shoot outs with the cops, no more "I run at you and go pew pew pew".
-No "carry as many weapons as you want". Concealable weapons are fine, but being able to bring an RPG seemingly out of nowhere? No thanks (although that doesn't mean you won't be able to grab an assortment of weapons from the boot/trunk of your car when the going gets tough).
- As close to 30fps at all time as is possible please. I can accept there may be drops in a game the size of GTA, but I just hope those drops are kept to a minimum.
- Smaller city, but much more going on. I don't want large empty sections (ie. a desert) I'm pretty sure this will be the case.

Really, I hope that its a lot more realistic in aspects of its gameplay than the GTA3 series.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Himuro said:
What's the real life equivalent of this shot? What is that place in the background? Isn't that in New Jersey? Something Ship Yard? I saw a comparison shot in the past.

69967865.jpg

That's the Brooklyn Navy Yard:

get_image

I didn't know Fela Kuti was in this game, and the lead character's last name rhymes with mine... still not interested in this game though, sorry. But nice job on the thread, Himu.

This is going to be the best game ever.

I hope that cars don't explode anymore when they're upside down. Neither when you shoot at it unless its the gastank. Make the car slower/unresponsive and more extremely harder to control when its been destroyed with bullets rather than just exploding it.

Bog

Junior Ace
If this makes its Spring release date, I'll eat my shoes. I'm serious. I'll chew on the leather and swallow it.

ashiato

It'd be good if cops could jump/climb/pathfind on different elevations this time around. In SA you could kill a few cops then jump over a small wall and the cops wouldn't follow you over. And you could get a wanted rating and try to hide out on roofs, etc. and the cops would just repeatedly ram their cars into your position 2 stories below.

ashiato

Powerslave said:
Make the car slower/unresponsive and more extremely harder to control when its been destroyed with bullets rather than just exploding it.

Good idea in theory but really, in SA it was just frustrating driving a car when the tyres shot out. Another thing (like speeding tickets) where I think reality is less fun.

I saw a lot of advertising in-store in some game stores when I went shopping yesterday. Pre-order boxes all over the stores, posters up on the walls.... This isn't getting another delay, its coming.

neogaf1.gif

ashiato said:
Good idea in theory but really, in SA it was just frustrating driving a car when the tyres shot out. Another thing (like speeding tickets) where I think reality is less fun.

I take a 60% unusable car over a 100% unusable (exploded) car. This is not a case of me wanting to drive a damaged car. I just don't want them to explode after 15 shots. It's annoying.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
Nice thread, I did not know most of that info.
My main gripe with the game is that I'm not seeing enough over-the-topness ala VC/SA, which I loved SO much. Anyway I'm quite hyped... I may not be able to resist the urge to buy a next-gen system when this comes out. BTW, April 25th? no way... fall at best.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Agreed Himuro; SA felt more like a chore to me, while VC was a tightly wound stylized thing of beauty. I really didn't like the country sections of SA AT ALL. In a game like GRAND THEFT AUTO, there should never be more than a block that isn't filled with people, gangs, other better cars, and potential side quests. VC had this nailed perfectly, while SA really felt barren in certain parts.

Bring on IV baby.

PantherLotus said:
Agreed Himuro; SA felt more like a chore to me, while VC was a tightly wound stylized thing of beauty. I really didn't like the country sections of SA AT ALL. In a game like GRAND THEFT AUTO, there should never be more than a block that isn't filled with people, gangs, other better cars, and potential side quests. VC had this nailed perfectly, while SA really felt barren in certain parts.

Bring on IV baby.

The fun of the country sections was just grabbing a bike or a 4 wheeler and just going crazy in that section. I can understand why people wouldn't like it, but it was a really good place for those that like to play around with the bikes and 4 wheelers.

Himuro said:
What over the topness do you speak of? If it's things like jumping off jet planes with a parachute or...stealing a jetpack from Area 51, no that stuff won't be in the game. However, it does have things like this:

343izo5.gif

Personally, I think jet packs are fucking stupid. GTASA lost sight of GTA, imo.
i hope its fairly realistic, but cheats bring them back.

NOTHING WRONG WITH CHEATS ONCE IN AWHILE! :(

SolidSnakex said:
The fun of the country sections was just grabbing a bike or a 4 wheeler and just going crazy in that section. I can understand why people wouldn't like it, but it was a really good place for those that like to play around with the bikes and 4 wheelers.

It's because the driving mechanics in GTA sucks dick.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
idahoblue said:
It's only a problem if the OP isn't updated with the new info.
And that won't be a problem, because Himuro has been personally tasked with doing so - or else I sell his ass to the Aryans for a carton of smokes.

Powerslave said:
I will blow something else if you don't watch out.
hawt

Driving vehicles in GTA feels like playing with toycars. They're weightless and respond in a ..weird way. Although SA improved it a bit though.

Stabby McSter said:
i hope its fairly realistic, but cheats bring them back.

NOTHING WRONG WITH CHEATS ONCE IN AWHILE! :(
QFT. I love the cheats in the GTA games! Dodo-bird-tank-flying FTW! It would be so awesome if they can bring stuff like this back, perhaps in a different mode similar to Keys to The City from Crackdown.

Powerslave said:
It's because the driving mechanics in GTA sucks dick.
:lol

They certainly not on par with Forza 2 . . . but that is a good thing. The GTA driving mechanics have always been a bit arcade-ish and that has worked great for a game that allows you to have great chase scenes with massive traffic pile-ups.

I'm not sure what you are looking for in the GTA driving mechanics but I always felt that they got it very right. If they didn't, the games would not nearly have been so popular. The GTA games certainly did not sell because of their great graphics, great targeting system, or geat melee combat system.

Dabanton

Himuro said:
God, I keep forgetting so much stuff that's been revealed for this game.

- You won't be able to carry any weapon outside, such as rpgs. People will react to your weapons.

Excellent this always griped at me. i like the Hitman approach where you have to be careful how and when you take out your piece.

HolyStar

Banned
Glad to see the mods have decided to unlock this thread. I love GTA and just can't wait for it to come out. Here is to hoping that more of a social aspect is added to the game than ever before. For instance, sometimes you just want to go and live in a video game, some GTAs do this ok, but once you beat the game, it really doesn't feel very friendly to live in, I hope that made some sense, but what I am saying is make it so it is still fun to play after getting 100%.

EktorPR

Himuro said:
So I decided to make a hype and news thread for my most anticipated game. If Smash, of all games has one, the biggest gaming event of 2008 deserves one too!

What the fuck is this shit? I'm all up for a GTA IV hype thread (hell, it's one of my most anticipated games of the present year), but I don't support that line of thinking at all.

speculawyer said:
:lol

They certainly not on par with Forza 2 . . . but that is a good thing. The GTA driving mechanics have always been a bit arcade-ish and that has worked great for a game that allows you to have great chase scenes with massive traffic pile-ups.

I'm not sure what you are looking for in the GTA driving mechanics but I always felt that they got it very right. If they didn't, the games would not nearly have been so popular. The GTA games certainly did not sell because of their great graphics, great targeting system, or geat melee combat system.

It's fairly good actually, but it's just the feeling that you're driving a weightless car. You never really get the sense of speed and you can brake to full stop within a couple of seconds. Honorable mention to the awful streetraces where once a car bumped into you, you could basically start over again cause of how fast the cars flip away. But this is all a thing of the past, I'm sure GTA4 will have improved all of this.
I gotta keep thinking positive about this game. I swear if this turns out to be a disappointment like how SA was to me, I will never buy into the GTA hype again.

Sandman42

All I want is good gunplay. Please Rockstar, give us a decent over-the-shoulder view and some meaty sound effects and I'm all over GTA4.

MercuryLS

Banned
Powerslave said:
It's fairly good actually, but it's just the feeling that you're driving a weightless car. You never really get the sense of speed and you can brake to full stop within a couple of seconds. Honorable mention to the awful streetraces where once a car bumped into you, you could basically start over again cause of how fast the cars flip away. But this is all a thing of the past, I'm sure GTA4 will have improved all of this.
I gotta keep thinking positive about this game. I swear if this turns out to be a disappointment like how SA was to me, I will never buy into the GTA hype again.

I keep saying that but I just keep on buying them.

I loved GTA3/LCS but hated VC/SA. I think I just love Liberty City, and since GTAIV takes place there I doubt that I'll dislike it.

thecheese

This has been my most anticipated game for a long time, and I can't believe it's almost here. I'm sure it won't disappoint.

MercuryLS said:
I keep saying that but I just keep on buying them.

I loved GTA3/LCS but hated VC/SA. I think I just love Liberty City, and since GTAIV takes place there I doubt that I'll dislike it.

Buying and hyping up yourself for the game are different things. I'm gonna buy every GTA that's gonna come out, but I won't set my expectations as high anymore. It happened once, but I'm giving it another chance.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
Brawl didn't have official hype threads. It had threads on new content being unveiled, and potential new content being unveiled. If that is the case here, rename as such and unlock the Brawl threads.

newsguy

Damn you Gaf for being you. There's enough bitching in this thread to fill like 2 pages. Anyway, I'm still crossing my fingers that Euphoria is everything it's being made out to be. Hitting people with cars will be a completely new experience.

newsguy said:
Anyway, I'm still crossing my fingers that Euphoria is everything it's being made out to be. Hitting people with cars will be a completely new experience.
Are they using Euphoria in GTA IV?

Smokey

PjotrStroganov said:
It didn't kill it for me, but the sheer size of it didn't actually do much for me. Compared to S I liked the compactness of GTA3 and VC. Some of the remote areas of SA felt like filler material.

I can respect this view, but the size of Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas is actually what pulled me into the world. It really felt like a real world to me. Sure there may not have been much to do in the country side, but the fact that it was there between the cities was awesome to me.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Himuro said:
Beyond the Beyond is the worst rpg I've ever played.

Its revolutionized random button pressing to get stronger attacks

TAPS X TAPS X TAPS X

KRIIIIIIIIIINGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
speculawyer said:
Are they using Euphoria in GTA IV?

the OP says for car explosions.....which sounds like a gigantic waste of time. I can only hope that it extends to character animations.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Himuro said:
Huh? No, they're using Euphoria in its entirety. Watch trailer 2 and trailer 3. Look at the animations and phsyics of Niko hanging on to the truck and helicoptor, his swagger as he walks by people, the the cars getting SMASHED when someone falls on top of one, or when the cop car gets totaled by the huge truck.

That's Eurphoria in effect right there.

lol my bad I misread and made assumptions based on

- Rockstar will use the Euphoria Engine, known from "Star Wars: The Force unleashed". Result: Every Explosion looks different.

I was thrown off by the mentioning of explosions! ya know, given that the engine is more known for animations I figured if you mention explosions in particular it must be exclusive or something lol.

Now that I think about it (going off topic a lil here) i'm a lil hazy on Force Unleashed. I watched the preview video and they seemed to only connect euphoria with the events related to when you force push em or blow em up or something of that nature. Is euphoria really only good for determining grip and whatnot or are we gonna see it in it's tech demo phase with all the georgeous animation blending, natural looking collisions, n' what not?

Core407

Banned
Sol.. said:
lol my bad I misread and made assumptions based on

I was thrown off by the mentioning of explosions! ya know, given that the engine is more known for animations I figured if you mention explosions in particular it must be exclusive or something lol.

Now that I think about it (going off topic a lil here) i'm a lil hazy on Force Unleashed. I watched the preview video and they seemed to only connect euphoria with the events related to when you force push em or blow em up or something of that nature. Is euphoria really only good for determining grip and whatnot or are we gonna see it in it's tech demo phase with all the georgeous animation blending n' what not?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ae3fgj2x1aI

^ Tech demo. I'm assuming they just mean euphoria will be used and hence during explosions, it will result in continually different reactions.

HolyStar

Banned
Himuro said:
This is one of the things I've always hated about GTA. The characters are like my second favorite thing about the games after the gameplay, and yet the games always feel desolate and barren in terms of character interaction. You can only kill people and pick up hookers; that's it. You can only interact with characters in cutscenes. Once you beat the game, this becomes even more obvious because there's usually no more missions, just stunts and packages and all of that, thus the character interaction stifles, causing me to just start a new game. I've never gotten 100% on a GTA before because of this.

However in IV, you can call up characters any time you want, and even chill with them and do missions together. It sounds like Rockstar feels the same way and want to spice things up a bit, which I'm all for.

Glad to hear that. In Vice City, it never made much sense that when you
kill
sonny and make it to the top
there was nothing to do. You got some closure and that is it. Lame if you ask me.

Every once in a while a physics or graphics engine gets hyped up and treated like the sweetest thing ever and then it gets replaced by a superior one.

Master of the Obvious etc etc :p

Powerslave said:
Every once in a while a physics or graphics engine gets hyped up and treated like the sweetest thing ever and then it gets replaced by a superior one.

Master of the Obvious etc etc :p

Yeah the last one that was hyped was Havok, and it still being used by top developpers, including Bungie and Neversoft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom