• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto IV thread of hype and stray bullets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tr4nce

Whoa, nice update!

I'm currently reading the Kikizo preview, and I like what they say on page 1:

'But essentially the game is now finished.'

Come on, R*!! Give it to me! NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

Edit: HOLY SHIT! Is it me or do a lot of these new screenshots look better than the previous ones?? This looks fucking ace!!!!!

03d.jpg

broony

I have been meaning to post this for a while and it may be old, seen in NYC when on holiday there in November, near Canal St, South Manhattan:
gta.JPG

Tr4nce said:
Whoa, nice update!

I'm currently reading the Kikizo preview, and I like what they say on page 1:

'But essentially the game is now finished.'

Come on, R*!! Give it to me! NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

Edit: HOLY SHIT! Is it me or do a lot of these new screenshots look better than the previous ones?? This looks fucking ace!!!!!

http://games.kikizo.com/media/gta4_p3a/03d.jpg
It's the same photo from a couple pages just not Blown Up
broony said:
I have been meaning to post this for a while and it may be old, seen in NYC when on holiday there in November, near Canal St, South Manhattan:
gta.JPG
jesus

Tr4nce

broony said:
gta.JPG

How awesome is that!! So sexy :D

cannot wait. If only we had a release date...

GTA4 is my most anticipated game of '08. I think this warrants a new avatar, at least until the game is out. (So long, Jacobus Henricus van't Hoff)

HolyStar

Banned
broony said:
gta.JPG

Am I a bad person for assuming that was an ingame screenshot?

Tr4nce

Still reading the kikizo preview, but I like some of the new gameplay features.

Himuro, I don't know if you knew about these, but apparently, you can now:

- maintain friendships
- drive whilst being drunk!
- Niko's cell phone gives you the option to also listen to music, even when you're not in the car. Awesome!

lulz.

Will add more If I come across them.

Goldrusher

Odrion said:
I feel sorry for the people inside who can't look out their windows. :lol

That side doesn't have any windows.

Unfortunately, the mural has been gone since the end of December. This is how the building looks now...

gtaiv_20080102.jpg

gray_fox224

Tr4nce said:
Still reading the kikizo preview, but I like some of the new gameplay features.

Himuro, I don't know if you knew about these, but apparently, you can now:

- maintain friendships
- drive whilst being drunk!

lulz.

Will add more If I come across them.

The local newsoutlets will have a field day with that one. :lol :lol

madmook

Wary about "drunk driving" (specifically the motion sickness it will no doubt induce in me), but EVERYTHING else is hype++++

Wollan

Goty competition is going to be a massacre this year. Pretty much every genre will put forward the best ever seen in their respectful category. I have a feeling though GTAIV is the one game that will still be breathing (though puking blood) and take the number one spot when it's all done.

Personally what I'm the most impressed about isn't the fact that they have finally (seemingly) worked out the gameplay kinks but the smaller things like the buss traffic terminals actually being updated and followed. The whole complex cell phone functionality. The cop computer system. Friend factors. The euphoria system. Dated appointments you have to follow..etc..etc. That stuff will make this game feel real like no game before it.

Teknoman

Wollan said:
Goty competition is going to be a massacre this year. Pretty much every genre will put forward the best ever seen in their respectful category.

I can see that for all genres except for platforming, whats coming out to rep that genre?

EDIT: NM, forgot all about Little Big Planet's release.

Wollan

Free-form: GTA4
Shooters: Resistance 2
WRPG: Fallout 3
JRPG: White Knight
RTS: StarCraft 2
Racing: Gran Turismo 5
Platformers: LittleBigPlanet
Sim: Spore
Fighters: Smash Bros
Adventure: MGS4

Probably what will be the various champions in their genre for the best they have to offer. It will be messy.

Scopebob Sniperpants said:
Could we expect the same release problems as Manhunt 2?

I asked this question a few pages ago, and you guys shrugged it off. This is a legitimate concern. Please refrain from a dickheaded response. ^_^
No. Australia is notoriously strict with their ratings (they totally banned the original manhunt) but they have already given TTWO an acceptable rating for this game. So there should be no problems.

Teknoman

Wollan said:
Free-form: GTA4
Shooters: Resistance 2
WRPG: Fallout 3
JRPG: White Knight
RTS: StarCraft 2
Racing: Gran Turismo 5
Platformers: LittleBigPlanet
Sim: Spore
Fighters: Smash Bros
Adventure: MGS4

Probably what will be the various champions in their genre for the best they have to offer. It will be messy.

Yeah you're right about that. I just hope we dont get blitzed with close release dates like the latter half of 2007.

Tr4nce

Hmm, I also read that the dialogue between characters will have a slight variation after you fail a mission. Interesting stuff.

Why do all the previews have to be X360 previews again, though?

Edit: oh and I think that driving drunk will have the same feel to it as the Boomshine Saigon mission had in GTA Vice City. IIRC in that mission, you were also drunk or high from the Boomshine, can't remember, but anyway, visions were also blurry and steering was very hard. Awesome stuff!

Himuro said:
ps3 version has yet to be even revealed. X360 is the lead platform. They will show off the first ps3 media next week.

damn i was hoping ps3 would be the lead platform. Maybe the ps3 HD and blu ray will help me pick the better version.

Kabuki Waq said:
damn i was hoping ps3 would be the lead platform. Maybe the ps3 HD and blu ray will help me pick the better version.

I thought it was co-developed. Although X360 version got a head start ?
I'm suspicious they haven't shown any PS3 footage. But maybe it will turn out alright ?

Tr4nce

Himuro said:
One of the first things that was announced when it was revealed was that no old characters will be returning. "Our favorite characters are dead anyways." said Rockstar.

This was in the Gamespot preview:

Oh God. Traffic violation?? UGH. Please not be true.

Why not? If you're aiming for at least some level of realism, like GTA does, then it wouldn't be logical if no police came after you, if you didn't stop for a red light.

newsguy

Himuro said:
Oh God. Traffic violation?? UGH. Please not be true.

I have to agree here. Having to stop at every red light in a city like NY would pretty much make running the more viable option.

EDIT:Something has to be wrong with that preview. Why would they give you motorcycles, fast cars, etc. if you have to abide by traffic laws? Wow that would suck.

Himuro said:
Why would anyone want to have this feature in GTA? A part of the fun in GTA is that I can speed all the time and never get a ticket for it. Why would anyone want this in GTA? Oh God. No. :(

I guess I'll just have to see, but honestly that's the only new feature I've seen in GTAIV that has made me turn my head and made me say,"What?" :(

I'm not to worried about it. I doubt they'll keep this in if its there now. Also its the first preview that I've heard of such.

New IGN hands on sounds incredible. Rectified framerate.

Cool missions and a very nicely improved aiming mechanic so you can free aim if you want to. I'm glad the lock on is still there because I loved it, but I'm further excited to know that headshots are truly deadly now.

Also I really like how the Euphoria animation system sounds.

newsguy

From the Games Radar preview:

MC: I loved the more close-combat shooting in this mission. The new slide-to-cover looks the absolute nuts, as does the blindfiring. So cool.
CB: Especially blind-firing a rocket launcher.

WAT

I don't know to much about the lock on system, but I hope it doesn't make things overly simple. I personally will be using free aim, but still when your in a tough firefight you have to admit using lockon would be mighty tempting. In GTA:SA I mowed down hundreds if not thousands of guys with instantaneous lock on shots to the body. It'd be a shame to have improved the gunplay, improve enemy A.I, and then respond by giving us a feature that allows us to automatically lock on to our enemies.

Ah well though, different strokes for different folks.

MercuryLS

Banned
Himuro said:
I know Rockstar wouldn't do that. That's just not fun!

It says right there in the quote that it's optional. It also so says that it alters the wanted level, maybe if you're already on the run, running red lights makes it worse?

newsguy

MercuryLS said:
It says right there in the quote that it's optional. It also so says that it alters the wanted level, maybe if you're already on the run, running red lights makes it worse?

That was my initial thought, and then I pictured what an ass I would look like playing this with a group of friends, and stopping at lights while cops chase me.

I like the sound of the traffic violation. If you break a stop light while a cop is there I mean why SHOULDN'T you be harassed? It helps the realism I think.

Then again is that what they are saying? There is nothing saying you can't drive fast and such, but in front of cops you would expect to potentially get into trouble. You wont be allowed to speed past some cop in real life and not pay some consequence.

newsguy

CowboyAstronaut said:
I like the sound of the traffic violation. If you break a stop light while a cop is there I mean why SHOULDN'T you be harassed? It helps the realism I think.

Then again is that what they are saying? There is nothing saying you can't drive fast and such, but in front of cops you would expect to potentially get into trouble. You wont be allowed to speed past some cop in real life and not pay some consequence.

You make a good point about the cop physically having to be there (as it's been said many times, cops need to be present for wanted level to appear) but here's hoping there aren't many cops. The issue arises when you're just cruising around and there's cops all over the place (IIRC past GTA games had cops walking on most populated ares). It restricts your freedom greatly, and while I love the realism in a game of this nature, it would really restrict the sandbox aspect if you're constantly dodging popo.

newsguy said:
You make a good point about the cop physically having to be there (as it's been said many times, cops need to be present for wanted level to appear) but here's hoping there aren't many cops. The issue arises when you're just cruising around and there's cops all over the place (IIRC past GTA games had cops walking on most populated ares). It restricts your freedom greatly, and while I love the realism in a game of this nature, it would really restrict the sandbox aspect if you're constantly dodging popo.

No worries I'm sure you'll still be able to drive at a certain speed without getting cops on your case. If you drive like a madman and bump into people or role up on the sidewalk THEN we might have trouble :p

I actually always tried to drive proper in GTA games :)

Tr4nce

I also love how apperently it is now possible to smash in your car window, after which you can start doing drive-by's.

These previews made me a total sucker again, it's a shame the game isn't coming out for like another 2/3 months :(

calder

Sounds awesome. :D

I love the idea of the cops noticing if you are speeding/running red lights etc. I trust the devs to do it right if they do it, I remember the first time I played GTA3 I was disappointed that I could run lights and sideswipe cars right in front of the cops and they wouldn't trigger.

I keep wondering exactly what they can say to make me interested in playing GTA IV, but there really isn't very much I can even think of. I guess that's sad.

ascii42

The traffic laws made Driver ridiculous at times. I once honked me horn while stopped at a traffic light behind a cop, and he pulled around and started ramming me.

RumFore

Banned
I hope it has some of the sillyness of SA. I remember watching some dude hit a cop car and the cop got out and shot his ass, only to then get shot himself. I don't know if that was intentional or a bug but it was pretty damn trippy to see it all play out.

http://www.gamesradar.com/us/xbox36...065&sectionId=1001&pageId=2008012331928196088

See, there are two ways for Niko to steal a police cruiser: find one on the street and smash its window to gain entry, or wreak as much havoc as possible and let the the law come to him.

Thankfully, the Rockstar reps showing us the game took the latter route, and Niko whipped out a pistol and fired wildly into traffic. Pedestrians ran screaming, and cars crashed into each other in a panicked attempt to escape. One SUV driver actually ducked down behind her dashboard when she saw that Niko was aiming at her, then swerved blindly before hauling ass in the opposite direction. Only a few people actually got hurt, but the important thing was that the assault worked as intended: a pair of chubby cops showed up in seconds and started screaming at Niko to drop his weapon.

haha wow :D

The sequence was also filled with some cool pre-scripted events; in one case, Rivas' car sideswiped a cargo truck hauling barrels, which immediately started tumbling onto the road in front of Niko. There was also a flatbed truck carrying logs, and we were told that if Niko had shot the chains holding them together, they would have spilled out to devastating effect.

That brings us to another feature that's new (and long-overdue) for GTA IV: Niko can smash out the windows while he's driving and aim out the window. We're talking free aim and the ability to shoot forward, not just the awkward drive-bys you could pull off in previous games. After blasting away at Rivas with a pistol (and tearing right through a tollbooth), Niko busted out a submachine gun and riddled his enemy's car with lead, resulting in a huge explosion in the middle of a bridge. We're told that if Rivas' car had been crippled but not destroyed, he would have gotten out and fled on foot. Which is what Niko had to do, vaulting over the side of the freeway and tearing ass through a park when the real cops finally showed up

Sounds very exciting

From reading the last page of Gameradar's preview they seemed extremely impressed with the water in GTA4.

No swimming underwater (only on the surface) but they don't think it will be missed and I wont mind to be honest.

MR: I thought the choppiness of the water was really impressive; previous GTAs have done that to certain degrees, but here it looked incredible.
CB: I don't think I ever wanted to play it myself as much as I did during the boat sequence. Yeah, that boat was just bouncing from wave to wave, splashing drops all over the screen.
MC: It just really showed how immense the game is going to be.
CB: Though you can't swim underwater.
MR: Also of note - Niko blowing up his own stupid boat by accident while trying to blast a passing cabin cruiser.
MC: Did you see swimming?
CB: Yeah, after he blew up his own boat, he swam a little
MR: I did like the huge water spray after Niko's boat exploded underwater, though - that's a very nice touch. Just this big gray geyser.

CowboyAstronaut said:
Sounds very exciting

You missed the critical passage:

After blasting away at Rivas with a pistol (and tearing right through a tollbooth), Niko busted out a submachine gun and riddled his enemy's car with lead, resulting in a huge explosion in the middle of a bridge.

NO-MENTION-OF-DISC-CHANGE-TON

Teknoman

Himuro said:
Vigilante missions remade? It'd be cool if you could kill EVERY criminal in the city.

Would be nice if they had you to stop specific crimes from taking place. Not sure if they could make that work, but it would be alot better than just seeing someone on the map and killing them to move to the next level of Vigilante.

From everything I've read so far they all seem pretty impressed with the game and all seem to be saying the same thing that the game is really running at a solid framerate.

Going to have so many games to look forward to this year.

GTA4
Fable 2
Lost Odyssey (next month)
MGS4
Infinite Undiscovery
Tales of Vesperia
DBZ Burst Limit
Don King Prizefighter (I pray the gameplay is good as I take no issue with the graphics)
Cry On
White Knight Chronicles
Tales of Symphonia Wii
Banjo 3
Little Big Planet
Naruto PS3 game (which should be out this year)
Soul Calibur 4

The list just goes on and on. Can't believe I'll be buying more games than I did in 2007.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom