• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto IV thread of hype and stray bullets

Status
Not open for further replies.
AgentOtaku said:
still don't know if I want this for 360 or PS3 =/
Unless something comes along to tip the balance toward the PS3 version, the exclusive downloadable content makes the 360 version the winner right now.

levious said:
yeah, fuck your stock price speculawyer! ;)
Don't worry about me . . . but I think those Rockstar folks would like to see their stock options worth something. Lots of TTWO employee options are under-water right now.

newsguy

I'm proud of what this thread became. Great job Himuro, and thanks to all posting info. Your lives have been spared.

http://gtshane.gametrailers.com/gamepad/index.php?action=viewblog&id=236611

Though mostly cosmetic, small touches like allowing Niko to peek out of cover or the way he’ll slide into it if he’s gained enough foot speed give it that GTA touch.

When you’re squeezing them off outside of cover, the game reverts to a Resident Evil 4-style, over-the-shoulder view, which is also becoming a third-person standard at this point. You can lock onto enemies, and then use the analog stick for fine tuning for head shots and rewards for other well-placed pieces of lead. If you shoot someone in the leg it will hobble them, making them eventually stumble and fall realistically to the ground. Enemies will play dead, desperately scramble for their weapons, and use cover intelligently. Rockets will skip on the pavement if they’re fired at the right angle, and otherwise, it’s looking like the first time that the gunplay has been seriously addressed in the series’ history. We’d almost go as far as to call it Grand Theft of War.

Holy Shit :D

I just drooled a little reading the IGN preview. For some odd reason, the voice directions in the car GPS seem so fucking awesome.

I'm still waiting to pre-order it on the chance someone offers a nice bonus.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Is Happiness Island supposed to be a Coney Island knockoff? Since, uh... Coney Island isn't an island, that's sort of dumb. Also, where's my Staten Island? Ferry hijacking please.

Yoboman

Glad to hear the frame rate is tip-top! My number one concern, hopefully it's flawless 60 (or at least 30) by release

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
That Kikizo preview is great. I love all the detail in it, especially the dialogue. Thanks for all your hard work Himuro.

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
Man, after reading the Multiplayer Blog and Kikizio's write-up, hype x1000 for me. It's always seemed so incongruous to me that a series revolving around violent lifestyles has always had such a piss-poor targeting/combat system. While I've loved the exploration, and enjoyed some of the story-telling, combat has been a painful necessity rather than a pleasure to participate in up til this point. Based on the impressions, this is all about to change ... YAY!

Cover system = good
RE4 'over the shoulder' aiming = gooder
Still using Lock-On to target enemies = slightly badder

I wish Rockstar would give gamers some credit and trust us to aim with a gamepad. Or at the very least, give us the option to turn lock-on off. It works in stuff like Crackdown given the arcade nature, but given the angle GTA4 is going for I don't it to hold my hand along the way.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Rise FM and MSX FM still better be in this. Those are the 2 best stations in all of GTA (with the 80's house station in SA as a runner up) Not that I'm gonna play anyway... but still, at least I can d/l the soundtrack.

watership

Was there a revised release date? They're really stingy with the media which makes me think it's none too soon. And doesn't it break Megathread rules? Won't this just turn into another Smash Bros mess? We certainly don't need a repeat of that insane asylum.

Pharmacy

Banned
djtiesto said:
Rise FM and MSX FM still better be in this. Those are the 2 best stations in all of GTA (with the 80's house station in SA as a runner up) Not that I'm gonna play anyway... but still, at least I can d/l the soundtrack.

Goddamn, listen to this man. MC Codebreaker is insaaaaaaane

kjah and classical stations as well

So what I gather from this is that the gunplay is very much like Crackdown? Meaning free aim when you want, but a lock on system that can be used to target distinct points of the body? Hmmm, not to sure how I feel about that. I'd much rather just aim myself, especially considering that gunplay could be easier now with the cover system.

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
watership said:
Was there a revised release date?
Multiplayer Blog said:
There is no updated release for the game. Rockstar's publisher, Take Two, has slated the game, once scheduled for October, to the company's second financial quarter, which runs from February to April. Barrera said that's still the plan, and the game certainly looks like it's going to be ready for that time frame.
Kikizo.com Preview #3 said:
There's not long to go. Tune in again in about a month for our eagerly awaited hands-on impressions of the game, before our final review close to the game's release in April.
Sounds like they're planning to hit Q2.

Core407

Banned
sionyboy said:
Cover system = good
RE4 'over the shoulder' aiming = gooder
Still using Lock-On to target enemies = slightly badder

I wish Rockstar would give gamers some credit and trust us to aim with a gamepad. Or at the very least, give us the option to turn lock-on off. It works in stuff like Crackdown given the arcade nature, but given the angle GTA4 is going for I don't it to hold my hand along the way.

Read the hands-on, the lock-on is an optional way to play. Use the RE4 style then.

Salazar

Dark FaZe said:
So what I gather from this is that the gunplay is very much like Crackdown? Meaning free aim when you want, but a lock on system that can be used to target distinct points of the body? Hmmm, not to sure how I feel about that. I'd much rather just aim myself, especially considering that gunplay could be easier now with the cover system.

Fallout 3's coming with something along these lines too, which pleases me, but undoubtedly infuriates someone somewhere.

Striker

Why are people talking shit about Saints Row (2)? Some people are actually anticipating that game more than GTA. I am, for one. :D

Yasser

Pharmacy said:
Goddamn, listen to this man. MC Codebreaker is insaaaaaaane

kjah and classical stations as well
yes, nothing like playing classical while doing driveby's a la clockwork orange

This is going to be the first GTA game I play, it definitely looks to be the best entry in the series so far, considering they have a good aiming system.

newsguy

plaidtopia said:
Wow. I had become totally de-hyped for this. Whoops. :lol

You're kidding. This entire series has blown me away since part 1. I would never doubt R* after the hundreds of hours of enjoyment I've had in these games. With the new tech the sky is the limit, and with all this sexy Euphoria engine talk they're definitely in the clouds.

Could we expect the same release problems as Manhunt 2?

I asked this question a few pages ago, and you guys shrugged it off. This is a legitimate concern. Please refrain from a dickheaded response. ^_^

Himuro said:
I wouldn't see why we would. Manhunt 2 was delayed because of the brutality of it all and the AO rating.

Drunk driving, realistic headshots, car jackings, a meticulous level of preemptive murders, running over people, ect, ect, ect.

Similarly, GTA4 might be teetering on a AO rating itself.

newsguy said:
You're kidding. This entire series has blown me away since part 1. I would never doubt R* after the hundreds of hours of enjoyment I've had in these games. With the new tech the sky is the limit, and with all this sexy Euphoria engine talk they're definitely in the clouds.
Not kidding. I'm a big GTA fan, too, but early previews seemed underwhelming and the game appeared to be overly ambitious both technologically and design-wise. Not only that, but so many games since SA had out-GTA'd GTA in many specific instances (Saint's Row, Crackdown, etc.) As such, I applauded the delay and now these new batch of previews are quieting my doubts.

In short: I'm back on the hype-train and loving it.

Dever

Banned
Scopebob Sniperpants said:
Drunk driving, realistic headshots, car jackings, a meticulous level of preemptive murders, running over people, ect, ect, ect.

Similarly, GTA4 might be teetering on a AO rating itself.

Nah, after the Manhunt 2 fiasco, R* is probably working closely with the ESRB to get an M rating. The Condemned 2 devs are also doing this. That's why C2 has an M rating and you can't kill people by putting their head into a vice.

But yeah, this game sounds surprisingly brilliant. Count me in.

In 2 years when I can buy it

newsguy

plaidtopia said:
Not kidding. I'm a big GTA fan, too, but early previews seemed underwhelming and the game appeared to be overly ambitious both technologically and design-wise. Not only that, but so many games since SA had out-GTA'd GTA in many specific instances (Saint's Row, Crackdown, etc.) As such, I applauded the delay and now these new batch of previews are quieting my doubts.

In short: I'm back on the hype-train and loving it.

Good to hear. IMO the games that did things better only lit that fire under their butt and now we're seeing the fruit of that with the new aiming system etc.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
jordan0386 said:
Any confirmation on why it got delayed, in the first place?

Beyond just not being ready.

Er... isn't, "It wasn't ready" reason enough?

Enjoyed the previews. Looking forward to the hands-on reports in Feb.

kylej

Banned
It's interesting to see what the "last modified" dates are of the images in the original zip file that Rockstar supplied to the press.

My favorite screenshot yet -- rush hour fun -- was captured over a month ago, while the rain shot was last modified on August 1st 2007 :eek:

New builds should look ever better than most of these shots.

Ranger X

Himuro said:
Holy shit. So you can call the police at ANY TIME and they'll show up? What if you're having trouble with a mission, and decide to call the cops. Will the police help you out if they see some guys shooting you?!

If this EVER this happen... ever... This would be the best damn GTA.

Yasser

i really hope the ps3 version supports user created content and mods like the pc versions of previous gta games did

Yasser said:
i really hope the ps3 version supports user created content and mods like the pc versions of previous gta games did

GTA mods have always been hacked into the game. I don't believe Rockstar have ever supplied tools for modding.

Yasser said:

All I want is something like Keys to the City. One of the best things Crackdown brought to the table.

Yasser

Francias Castiglione said:
GTA mods have always been hacked into the game. I don't believe Rockstar have ever supplied tools for modding.
pity, they added a lot to the games. looks like i'll have to double dip on this when the pc version is out =/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom