• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grandia® II Anniversary Edition (PC) |OT| Still Not Vague Enough 15 Years Later

BONKERS

Oh man, that's the good stuff. Look at that line work, that subtle texture to the paper behind the water color, those realistic and elegant proportions and features. I wish more JRPGs would take visual inspiration from older games like this.

But more on topic, is there not an artbook with all of the portraits in it? If modders could get high enough quality scans from that, the community could remedy the problems themselves based on what I've read about the ease of changing picture elements.

There are a couple books with art in them. But from what I remember. They are different a little bit and some of the expressions aren't 100% the same.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Man, seriously. Grandia franchise is probably the only one where I bother to speak with literally everyone till their dialogue repeats, and do so every time a major event happens. (I might attempt to do this with other JRPGs but give up midway into the story)

So much characterization even with party members, not just the protagonist. AND DINNER TIME.

edit: Definitely post impressions after you're done with the game. I'd like to hear your thoughts coming from Grandia (1).

edit2: yay

0aM0QVe.png

'Grats! Feel free to keep sending me any other feedback directly via PMs as I am still collecting everything on a daily basis and sending it through the team.

EDIT!:
Incoming patch! http://steamcommunity.com/app/330390/discussions/0/517141624286903258/

atbigelow

Thanks for keeping us updated on patches, Caspel.

In that thread, it states to post deets if you are getting crashes. Where's the best place to post those?

zakujanai

Completed Grandia 1 the day before this was out and then made it all the way through Chrono Trigger for the first time as a little palette cleanser. I'm ready to start this today finally.

Falk

that puzzling face
efOO60a.jpg

Yikes. Not to dissuade the hard work being put in, but... right now (I know it's unfinished) it looks less like a Dreamcast game and more like a mobile game. Mismatched resolutions and styles on each element and all.

Those new command icons have to go.

efOO60a.jpg

Yikes. Not to dissuade the hard work being put in, but... right now (I know it's unfinished) it looks less like a Dreamcast game and more like a mobile game. Mismatched resolutions and styles on each element and all.

Those new command icons have to go.

What mods are you running?

BONKERS

They look the same to me, is there a higher resolution shot available? That seems a bit too small to see what you are talking about. (While I can see the font changes easily. And they are getting closer at matching. Dat "Critical" though :p)
Is it the sword? It looks the same as if upscaled with Point/NN. Which doesn't look that bad.

Llyranor

Played about 10 hrs so far, forgot how much I freaking love this amazing combat system.

No complaints about the port so far. Runs well, plays well, no noticeable bugs or crashes

zakujanai

Heading into the final part of
Liligue Cave
and the game just completely shut down on me. Fortunately it was literally immediately after a save or I'd have probably quit right there.

Falk

that puzzling face
http://steamcommunity.com/app/330390/discussions/0/520519112492477670/#p3

This guy's ongoing project

What mods are you running?

I'm not running anything. I'm just following progress out of curiosity

Yeah not really seeing what's "Yikes" worthy about that.

I just have an aversion to mismatched resolutions in UIs (FF6 iOS played on an iPad traumatized me)

edit: And yeah, the fonts are getting there.

edit2: Forgot to link the higher res image. It's there in the steam thread, but for convenience

Parsnip

I was wondering how he made his edits actually work in the battle scenes, just good old brute force hex editing.
For the battle textures (inside "data/afs/sys" and "data/afs/sys_hardmode"), the only way I found to make them work is editing the textures, after I saved them, with a Hex editor like HxD.

edit: Yup, hexediting works.
I wonder why the battle hud is different in this way from the main hud.

Nirran

Update 1.04 just went live a couple hours ago. Another good patch it looks like.

This update focuses on two key areas: controller support and audio fixes.

Keyboard & Gamepad controls have now been consolidated into one tab within the Launcher called "Input". The Input tab will now allow you to cycle between your keyboard and all connected gamepads, along with displaying the gamepad name.

Also, a number of fixes have implemented to help improve various audio issues relating to ambient sounds not playing correctly, some sounds getting cut off and music tracks not properly playing their entire track length. The size of the patch is largely due to the re-conversation of multiple music files. We have also adjusted the default volume settings so that users who have not yet adjusted their volume sliders can have a more pleasant starting experience.

We also addressed a crash which may have been affecting some users.

- Updated Launcher with new Input Tab for managing keyboard & multiple gamepads
- Added greater support for a wide range of USB gamepads
- Preferred gamepad is now assigned in launcher regardless of how many gamepads are connected
- Gamepad windows name is now displayed on Input tab
- Movement & Camera controls are now mapped to DPad & Shoulder buttons by default
- Analog Movement & Analog Camera controls are now mapped to Left Stick & Trigger buttons by default (can be toggled On/Off)
- Fix for all keys & gamepads buttons being re-mappable in Launcher Input tab
- Fix for X button being re-mappable in Launcher Input tab for keyboard & gamepad
- Fix for X button correctly zooming camera out when button is held down during battle attack state
- Fix for X button toggling camera angle when AI is turned on during battle
- Fix for X button toggling Full details on Save screen
- Fix for X button toggling Next page on Items screen
- Fix for ambient sounds incorrectly playing in battles
- Fix for ambient sounds not playing properly in various field locations
- Fix for ambient sounds incorrectly looping endlessly in fields
- Fix for some music tracks getting cut off abruptly
- Fix for some speech samples incorrectly tied to SFX volume toggle
- Re-converted 172 music files to fix tracks not playing their entire length (looping too quickly issue)
- Fixed an AI crash when setting Roan to "Power Up" and equipping Holy Mana Egg (global AI crash fix)
- Lowered default SFX Volume from 60 to 40
- Lowered default Footstep Volume from 50 to 15

*Note: Update 1.04 will revert your Launcher settings to default on first boot up because of our latest Input changes. Please go into the Launcher and reset your Video/Audio/Input settings when you start playing 1.04 for the first time. You will only have to do this once.

BONKERS

http://steamcommunity.com/app/330390/discussions/0/520519112492477670/#p3

This guy's ongoing project

I'm not running anything. I'm just following progress out of curiosity

I just have an aversion to mismatched resolutions in UIs (FF6 iOS played on an iPad traumatized me)

edit: And yeah, the fonts are getting there.

edit2: Forgot to link the higher res image. It's there in the steam thread, but for convenience

Can't say I blame you. SE's recent FFV mobile port to PC has infuriated me. They can't even bother to fix the UI so it's closer to the original game or you know not take up half the screen with a terrible font.. Not to mention the game is a blurry upscaled mess.
http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2015/37/1441909341-4.jpg
Perfect opportunity to update all that shit to higher resolution higher quality work and they just don't care.

At such high resolutions they have the perfect opportunity to mimic the original Chibi artwork. The old mobile sprites seemed to be an attempt at this but fell short
I was wondering how he made his edits actually work in the battle scenes, just good old brute force hex editing.

edit: Yup, hexediting works.

I wonder why the battle hud is different in this way from the main hud.

Wait wat? Hex edit the textures after you save the new version. Hex edit what in them though?

Thanks for the patch GungHo!

Still doesn't fix my resolution issue though. Darn. There is a work around though. If I set my desktop res to the correct resolution first. It works. 4:3 resolutions still don't work
Still some microstuttering.
Elena still starts talking before she's finished singing. And the events and music in the Intro are still completely mis-timed with nothing syncing up as it is supposed to and the next sections of music are abruptly cutting in.
GOOD SIR, MAY I REFERENCE YOU THIS VIDEO? It showcases how these events are supposed to be. And if the first two major events are mis-timed, it makes me afraid to play any further. Who knows what else could be completely off-timing?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ugIIqI5Zp0

It DID however, fix the Encounter sound effect overlapping the start of the battle music and some sound effect loops. Elena singing outside the church now fades out. Though the curve seems a bit odd initially. WOO

zakujanai

Really enjoying the latest patch. Looping is much, much better. The default audio settings are pretty much spot on for me now, and the option to let it stretch the window to widescreen is very much appreciated. Don't always like doing this in games but the characters really don't suffer that squashing effect you sometimes get and its much nicer to have it full screen.

Parsnip

Wait wat? Hex edit the textures after you save the new version. Hex edit what in them though?
Yup. When the game came out I tested it a bit and for some reason any and all texture edits in the battle UI were showing up blank regardless of what settings I threw at it. Copying the lines 00000020 to 00000040 from original texture to the new texture seemingly fixes it. So it's some kind of file header incompatibility issue I guess, but it just makes me wonder why the battle ui is different. "Normal" dds files work without any hex editing for the world ui, like the compass for example.

Durante

Yup. When the game came out I tested it a bit and for some reason any and all texture edits in the battle UI were showing up blank regardless of what settings I threw at it. Copying the lines 00000020 to 00000040 from original texture to the new texture seemingly fixes it. So it's some kind of file header incompatibility issue I guess, but it just makes me wonder why the battle ui is different. "Normal" dds files work without any hex editing for the world ui, like the compass for example.
So the file format is DDS? The DDS header is 124 bytes, described here.

Those addresses would be 32 to 64 bytes in, so 8 to 16 DWORDS, in other words lots of reserved bytes plus some of the PIXEL_FORMAT struct.

Parsnip

So the file format is DDS? The DDS header is 124 bytes, described here.

Those addresses would be 32 to 64 bytes in, so 8 to 16 DWORDS, in other words lots of reserved bytes plus some of the PIXEL_FORMAT struct.

I understood some of those words.

I experimented a little and I think I know what's going on. Well, kind of.
I don't know if this is a common way to do things, and I'm hardly an expert, but it seems like the game loads all battle hud textures into an array (I'd guess), and then uses the first byte from the 00000020 line of each texture to determine what texture it is and what element of the UI to display it in.

So for example.

I didn't rename any textures, but I swapped that specific byte between btl_sys1_7.dds and btl_sys1_8.dds and now the game loads Elena's portrait in there, and I swapped that byte between btl_sys1_20.dds and btl_sys1_18, and it swapped the textures the game tries to use for all the action bar stuff and the commandlist texts, among other things.

There's even a handy btl_sys1.csv file that seems to list all the loaded hud textures. At this point the texture names don't even matter. I can rename the Ryodo portrait into poop_face.dds, and as long as I also edit the csv list to match so that the texture is loaded into the array, it will still work.
Anyways, that byte is the key and if it doesn't match what's in the original texture, the game will not show it at all.

Falk

that puzzling face
WAIT HOLY SHIT

That actually means we can completely redesign the UI?

or

OR!!!

Redo the UI with modified positioning for widescreen

(!!!)

edit: Wait, I'm assuming they're indexed and hardcoded rather than an actual x/y position, so while you can swap stuff around, you can't actually move them around freely.

Oh well.

Parsnip

I haven't seen any obvious positional data for anything in any of the related files. It could be somewhere, but who knows. Yeah, what I did was just swap the number between two files so that an entirely different texture gets displayed in place of a thing, rather than change its position.

syko de4d

i am at the last boss on hard. game was pretty easy but no idea what to do with this boss . Boss is so fast it does 4-5spells before i do 1 move.
any tips oO

edit:
maybe spellbinder + SP recovery items will work, i hope xD

edit2: wow
spellbinder
is op

Falk

that puzzling face
Spellbinding Eye
and
keep spamming Cold/Freeze till he's -5 ACT/MOV if you don't think you can kill him before Millennia runs out of SP

BONKERS

I put together some comparisons.
I originally was using NullDC but it had some graphical glitches that made it unusable. (It automatically will upres the game to your desktop resolution).
I used DeMul instead which only offers fixed scales.
So the resolution is mismatched.
DeMul may be incorrect in it's own ways as well unfortunately.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/143062
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/143063
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/143065

But the differences, though subtle make a very nice impact on IQ.

ChrisG683

I put together some comparisons.
I originally was using NullDC but it had some graphical glitches that made it unusable. (It automatically will upres the game to your desktop resolution).
I used DeMul instead which only offers fixed scales.
So the resolution is mismatched.
DeMul may be incorrect in it's own ways as well unfortunately.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/143062
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/143063
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/143065

But the differences, though subtle make a very nice impact on IQ.

Ok so I'm NOT crazy. I've only played the game for 20-30 mins, but I did not remember all of the advanced shadows being in the Dreamcast version. Glad to know I have some validation now.

The shopkeeper area looks better on the DC version though... something is off about it in the PC version. It's almost like the DC version had Ambient Occlusion, while the PC one removed it in favor of sharpness.

Edit:
I think it's the added object shadows in the PC version that make the scene seem more artificial, due to the lack of Ambient Occlusion.

Falk

that puzzling face
Nice, will add to OP along with updating information regarding 1.03 (patches/bugs section) when I get a break.

Mudo

I bought a Dreamcast recently and picked up Grandia 2 not realizing it was coming out on PC!!! I've played only 3 hours and now wondering should I stop and play the PC version? impressions seem mixed in here does anyone have advice?

Falk

that puzzling face
Grandia on PC is a better experience, barring some leftover issues with audio and some disappearing geometry close to camera from time to time.

edit: Hard mode alone is worth the price of entry. The original game is... rather easy, to put it mildly.

Mudo

Nice thanks. It must not be as bad as some has sounded in here lol. I am reading about widescreen and hex editors and my eyes are getting bigger by the minute !

BONKERS

Ok so I'm NOT crazy. I've only played the game for 20-30 mins, but I did not remember all of the advanced shadows being in the Dreamcast version. Glad to know I have some validation now.

The shopkeeper area looks better on the DC version though... something is off about it in the PC version. It's almost like the DC version had Ambient Occlusion, while the PC one removed it in favor of sharpness.

Edit:
I think it's the added object shadows in the PC version that make the scene seem more artificial, due to the lack of Ambient Occlusion.

I feel the opposite TBH. I think those indoor scenes look way better.
Nice thanks. It must not be as bad as some has sounded in here lol. I am reading about widescreen and hex editors and my eyes are getting bigger by the minute !

Ah that's only for the original PC version. Which isn't terribly great.

The game is still 4:3. But it looks better than ever and battles can run at 60FPS

If you already have it on DC this probably isn't worth switching over to. There's higher resolution and a few other extras but the DC version is solid.

Although if that controller bugs you as much as it did for me, that might be a huge improvement.

bede-x

Grandia on PC is a better experience, barring some leftover issues with audio and some disappearing geometry close to camera from time to time.

edit: Hard mode alone is worth the price of entry. The original game is... rather easy, to put it mildly.

I've been told that the original Dreamcast version was 60fps both in and outside battles. If that's the case I'd call that version the better experience. Personally I'd value that much higher than an extra hard mode.

BONKERS

It's 30FPS.

If you play it an emulator (Rip your own discs, or download an iso if you have the discs), the emulator reports it as 60VPS but 30RPS. In and out of battle. The BIOS runs at 60VPS/60RPS. Games like Soul Calibur run at 60VPS/60RPS
Even in VGA mode.

Only the original PC port ran at 60FPS in battles.

bede-x

And this is not something you've been told, you guys have actually confirmed it yourself on the Dreamcast?

I apologize again that I'm making such an issue out of this, but I'd really like to know.

Falk

that puzzling face
You're talking to a thread that's half full of 1) hardcore Grandia fans 2) FPS elitists 3) a combination of the above.

We're absolutely sure.

Falk

that puzzling face
Don't worry about it, first thing I checked too when Grandia Steam was first announced. Memory can be quite a foggy thing.

Dachande

It's 100% 30fps throughout on the Dreamcast. I've played it several times through and my partner was playing the DC version last month before this port was released. Whoever told you otherwise is wrong. I don't know why you're so hesitant to believe us on here.

EDIT: welp

Top Bottom