• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grandia 2 Anniversary Edition on August 24, $20 (25% off sale at launch)

I'd like to own this on the PC, but I will wait to make sure things work the way they should. I have this picture in my head of the game's framerate still chugging even on PC for some reason. Want to hear that 80s montage battle theme again.

"Yell all of my attack naaaaames.. graaaaah!"

Holy shit, this August is way too packed for PC.
After FF Type-0, One Piece, Shadowrun, and Satellite Reign, now we're getting Grandia 2. And MGS V is just around the corner. I'll have to choose carefully lol.

Nyoro SF

I promised myself I wouldn't buy any more games until I finished VC3 and Ys Origin... but I might have to break my own rule...

MechaX

I'm getting this.

I like Grandia I (and even III despite its flaws), but II is my absolute favorite and nothing has changed that since I first played it on the Dreamcast.

hesho

Might get, depending on Canadian price.

Hopefully Gungho gets enough to put Lunar up post haste. C'mon guys.

now that is a game i would preorder regardless of price. I do wonder if it will happen though. I am very sure grandia 2 was released on pc before so it wasn't a full on port.

Corpekata

Banned
Will snag if the port is good. I'm not expecting much but expecting at least:

No resolution limits, 60 or uncapped FPS, a UI that isn't ugly as sin, and that it is easy to get running.

Maedhros

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/grandia-ii-remastered-launches-august-24/1100-6429824/

$20 ($15 at lanch) on Steam on August 24th.

Includes improved graphics, a harder difficulty option, and dual language tracks. :)

For those who haven't played it, Grandia 2 is often considered the best game in the series. And if you've never played a Grandia game, you're in for a treat - one of the best turn-based battle systems of all-time.

Whoever said that is wrong.

This game is not better than even the first one. It's not bad though, just not as good as the first.

ss_lemonade

I wonder if the game is now in widescreen and if so, how they are going to handle the spells? I remember most (or all?) of the spell effects being FMVs overlaid on top of the game.

At least it was 60fps on Dreamcast.

Arcadia was definitely the better looking of the two.
Grandia 2? It was never 60 on the Dreamcast. The old PC port was though. At least the battles I think were 60fps there.

jholmes

now that is a game i would preorder regardless of price. I do wonder if it will happen though. I am very sure grandia 2 was released on pc before so it wasn't a full on port.

I'm not plucking Lunar out of my head or anything. Gungho had this big survey where they asked what games people wanted to see ported to Steam. Like every sane person I said Lunar about 100 times and they turned around and said, "Wow this survey had a huuuuuge demand for Grandia! Here you go!"

I'm not expecting anything (it's their choice to do what they want with the games) but there's certainly a possibility that good Grandia sales would get them to look at Lunar. Just take a look at how quickly Falcom went all in on Steam.

Parsnip

In for the launch price, even though I'm too busy to play it immediately.

Lets hope they'll show it properly soon, those screens from couple weeks ago looked more like an emulated DC game than a port, I'm a bit wary, to be honest.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
I'm not plucking Lunar out of my head or anything. Gungho had this big survey where they asked what games people wanted to see ported to Steam. Like every sane person I said Lunar about 100 times and they turned around and said, "Wow this survey had a huuuuuge demand for Grandia! Here you go!"

I'm not expecting anything (it's their choice to do what they want with the games) but there's certainly a possibility that good Grandia sales would get them to look at Lunar. Just take a look at how quickly Falcom went all in on Steam.

Grandia II won the popular vote =D

Also, glad to hear positive feedback (or any feedback, in general) from everyone since I've been pushing our Steam/GOG initiatives heavily and I hope we get to do more in the future!

This game is not better than even the first one. It's not bad though, just not as good as the first.

There's a great many Grandia fans who would disagree.

But if nothing else, I'm sure we can all agree that either Grandia or Grandia are the best games in the series. Fuck the third game and that goofy "Xtreme" one.

Like every sane person I said Lunar about 100 times and they turned around and said, "Wow this survey had a huuuuuge demand for Grandia! Here you go!"

No reason to believe they lied when they said Grandia 2 won the vote. Grandia 2 has a good reputation & Grandia 1 is easy to play these days for cheap as long as you have a PS3, PSP, or Vita.

Nordicus

Good game, but arguable as to whether it bests the first. Combat mechanics and pacing improvements for sure, but script, story, and characters are quite a step-down.
8lixn52.jpg
Hmm

Corpekata

Banned

Seems like pretty anecdotal stuff. For more anecdotal stuff, search the survey thread for mentions of Grandia and Lunar. Grandia is mentioned like twice as much.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
The original Grandia is considered the best one in the series thankyouverymuch

Neoweee

I disagree with it, but it is very much the common perception.

The stories and characters in the series got worse and worse, while the gameplay gets better and better. I think 2 is regarded as the best point of the tradeoff.

Not me, though. The gameplay of Xtreme overcomes the horrid most everything else.

I am surprised and very happy about this. I tried to replay the game a few years ago, but my Dreamcast couldn't get past the bit with the superchuckles boss. Wonder what the Japanese voices are like...

Vamphuntr

Also, glad to hear positive feedback (or any feedback, in general) from everyone since I've been pushing our Steam/GOG initiatives heavily and I hope we get to do more in the future!

This is coming in a week, right? Are you going to release media from the HD version soon?

Already got the pC version will get this one only if the improvements are real
( original PC release had some bugs with direct-x )

IF the game's balanced it might be worth it.

raven777

I didn't know there were people who actually considered Grandia 2 as the best in the series...

Not saying it's a bad game. Grandia 2 is a fantastic game.

Caspel

This is coming in a week, right? Are you going to release media from the HD version soon?

Screens released a few weeks back to show improved shadows, anti-aliasing, new lighting, procedural increases to texture resolution, new resolution and aspect ratio support. Gameplay/Launch trailer will arrive at launch, so stay tuned for that so people can see it in motion and decide for themselves if they like the improvements.

MrDoctor

$15 is more than what I payed for the Dreamcast version. =P

Still in if this port is indeed superior. I'll gladly pay a high price for better treatment of an old classic than just tossing it in an emulator.

Do whatever it takes to give us Sega CD Eternal Blue, and I will do my part.

KiteGr

Fantastic game, but since it was a Dreamcast game, the graphics are a bit dated.
It needs more than a resolution update and new textures.

Caspel

Do whatever it takes to give us Sega CD Eternal Blue, and I will do my part.

I'd love to see it become a reality, too. One step at a time, though, so crossing my fingers that the PC community is interested in Grandia II Anniversary Edition.

cj_iwakura

I'd love to see it become a reality, too. One step at a time, though, so crossing my fingers that the PC community is interested in Grandia II Anniversary Edition.

That would be amazing, but aren't the SCD Lunars in the rights snafu to end all rights snafus?

Top Bottom