• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grandia 2 Anniversary Edition on August 24, $20 (25% off sale at launch)

Tengrave

I'm a bit worried that GungHo is seemingly stealth-releasing the game. No store page, no real proper official announcements in their social media channels...

Kinda strange.

Yeah. You figure after that 1st annocuement they would follow it up with some kind of social network marketing. Lack of a store page is disconcerting.

I just finished listening to the latest 8-4 podcast and they said the commercials for the game keep playing on television. Are any of these commercials on the Internet? I cannot find them on youtube. :/

Psxphile

I just finished listening to the latest 8-4 podcast and they said the commercials for the game keep playing on television. Are any of these commercials on the Internet? I cannot find them on youtube. :/

Huh. Wouldn't have expected a commercial for this game. Online ads, maybe.

Falk

that puzzling face
Yeah. You figure after that 1st annocuement they would follow it up with some kind of social network marketing. Lack of a store page is disconcerting.

They wouldn't be the first company unfamiliar with Steam culture/expectations/precedents.

For example you'd need to be at least a regular on Steam to realize you can actually have a store page prior to a game's launch. Or related, if you do have a store page, that you can let people preorder and pre-load in advance of launch while still keeping the game encrypted.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's been a long time, but Saturn & PS1 versions of the Lunar games are mostly the same with the Saturn version having better audio quality. It was mostly a joke at cjiwakura with whom I have a longstanding SCD vs 32-bit Lunar soundtrack battle going on. :)

For Grandia 1, on the other hand, the Saturn version is clearly superior overall - it was really pushing the system's hardware to the limits and they had to cut some corners to port it over to the PS1. Better graphics & performance on the Saturn version, but the PS1 version is the one that got translated into English.

Debatable.

I just want a smooth version of this game that will work well, and look clean. Does not need anything else for me to be happy. Really hope some more info comes out since this supposedly drops Monday.

cj_iwakura

Like the Grandia II port on PS2 after DC, Lunar~Eternal Blue port on PS1 after Saturn is sloppy. The awful PS midi music is on painful display, making the instrumentation worse than the Saturn or Mega CD versions even if the sound quality is higher. Think of the PC versions of FFVII and VIII that you've heard so much about. Iwadare's tracks are violin- and oboe-heavy, and they suffer a lot.

Mega CD Eternal Blue is significantly better put-together, with better art direction (remake cinemas are totally off-model), better dungeon design (original's mazes and architecture are delightful and maddening), and better sound direction (certain tracks are weirdly placed or overused in the remake).

Mega CD Silver Star is...a totally different game, with many flaws but many of its own merits. There was also a Silver Star comparison thread, if it helps.

Maybe the Lunar community thread should come back.

Amazing how few posts it gets, even when I try to update. :p

What are the benefits of the Saturn versions over the Sega CD or PSX versions? Honest question. I always though that the Saturn versions were mostly the basis for the PSX versions.

I haven't played the Saturn version, but the dungeon design in the original forever makes it the definitive for me.

I'm also not a fan of the major story beat changes, like Luna staying behind in the original(you gotta leave her behind, Alex), and
Ghaleon not murdering Quark in the remake, he just captures him.
Total change of tone.

BUT FIRST YOU HAVE TO DIE.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Grandia 1 has the better story & the more charming graphics IMO, but Grandia 2 has the better gameplay, which should be even better if the HD's version new hard mode is balanced well.

It's an enhanced port of a Dreamcast game - it probably doesn't require the most powerful hardware.

To iterate on this. I ran the original PC port on a Pentium 3. A Potato can run Grandia 2 easily. Looking forward to this, will get when I have the money. Can't even run the original port anymore :lol

Edit: I would be right assume this isn't based on the old port at all, right?

ShowDog

I'll be interested to see the port, the FMV spell overlays are all 480p at best and there is no way they'll be redone.

Marow

Seems like it also changed name from "Grandia II HD" to "Grandia II Anniversary Edition". Must've missed this.

What's even going on? Caspel? >__<'

Steam doesn't update on saturdays or sundays.
Huh, they don't? I had no idea. Now I know something new. Any reason as to why?

I'll be interested to see the port, the FMV spell overlays are all 480p at best and there is no way they'll be redone.

Probably will still be 480 video, but honestly if we get a solid PC version with even basic options I'll be pretty happy. I got rid of my Dreamcast a long time ago and this was one of the few games left that didn't have a good alternate version; PS2 version's really not so bad but glitchy in annoying ways.

Tizoc

Seems like it also changed name from "Grandia II HD" to "Grandia II Anniversary Edition". Must've missed this.

What's even going on? Caspel? >__<'

Huh, they don't? I had no idea. Now I know something new. Any reason as to why?

...Because it's the weekends? :p
I've rarely if ever seen Steam update with new pages etc. on weekends (being Saturday or Sunday), heck Freedom Planet was going to be released during a weekend until the devs realized that and delayed it til Monday when Steam updates with all new games and deals etc.

Is this even still coming? Or will GungHo really stealth release this?! Unless they're going to delay it because they fear being refunded to death since they removed 'HD' from the title. Some people will be disappointed if the game isn't widescreen.

Tizoc

Not all Steam pages get updated starting from 00:00 hours. The page could go live 12 hours from now for all anyone knows.
Just wait...

Falk

that puzzling face
If anyone's concerned about performance, I'm on a laptop, getting it as soon as it goes up, will post impressions.

(gaming laptop, so this isn't quite a good gauge of "does it run on old hardware", but more of "how good a port is this?")

edit: Actually, what am I saying in a post-refund world. Just refund it if it's bad, heh.

If anyone's concerned about performance, I'm on a laptop, getting it as soon as it goes up, will post impressions.

(gaming laptop, so this isn't quite a good gauge of "does it run on old hardware", but more of "how good a port is this?")

edit: Actually, what am I saying in a post-refund world. Just refund it if it's bad, heh.

Oh I can take the role of the "old hardware" user, well more like shitty hardware:

Intel Celeron N2940 @ 1.83GHz with an allmighty Intel HD Graphics of unknown power.

1080P 60FPS with all bells and whistles turned up to the max, here I come !

Finalow

I liked the first game, great battle system and enjoyed the story for what it was.

definitely going to buy and play this.

I never played the game before but always wanted to. Right now this is looking shady.

IIRC, I played the old PC port on a Pentium 4 and Geforce 4 ti, the game ran like a dream. The story is a bit basic, ancient evil is about to wake up, yadda, yadda, yadda, Millenia is hot, and the battle was fast and smooth.

The game itself is worth your time and money, I just hope this port is okay so I can give it another go.

I don't think it's shady or anything, mind you. I just have some concerns, that's all :). It would be great if we have at least store page or screenshots showcasing the new version of the pc port.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
The launch of this is one of the weirdest in memory. Do they just have no clue how to do press or something?

Top Bottom