• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graph of 35 Years of console launch prices adjusted for inflation (includes Wii U)

Solo Act

Interesting that Dreamcast had the life that it did. One of the lowest priced consoles in history, wonderful launch and first party lineup, way ahead of the current graphics at the time..

Just sad and a little strange. I had a moment of reflection last week on where I was on 9/9/99 at midnight.

Interesting that Dreamcast had the life that it did. One of the lowest priced consoles in history, wonderful launch and first party lineup, way ahead of the current graphics at the time..

Just sad and a little strange. I had a moment of reflection last week on where I was on 9/9/99 at midnight.

Still my favorite launch of all time, and unlikely to ever be topped for me personally. I was blown away on 9/9/99, and I'll always remember my wife helping me make Dreamcast cupcakes the night before (white frosting with orange swirls). That and everyone wearing their DC shirts from EB.

Pranay

YYBvv.jpg

ToxicAdam

Yea, shame about those 6 years previous where Sega continually took a dump on their fans with poorly supported hardware.

The Atari Jaguar layer was thinner than an individual pixel so it doesn't show up.

Same with ColecoVision it seems, which was by far my favorite back then.

Nice chart, though. You can definitely see why Nintendo is choosing this path again.

Such an unpredictable industry. No one has led (sales wise) for more than two generations (yet).

When framed like that it makes it even more mysterious why the Dreamcast never took off. Beat the PS2 by a year and was a hell of a value.
You weren't around then, were you? I was a Sega faithful, and even I had completely had it with thier ADD-defined hardware releases... Lots of us were apoplectic with rage when they abandonned Saturn support in NA for the announced (but far from released) Dreamcast. It was like the straw that broke the camel's back. They had great hardware and decent games, and ZERO market support.

I bought the NeoGeo Gold system brand new with the money I had left over from a 25 day East Coast summer bar run... Man, I loved that system.

The WiiU is a decent value, imho... Don't know if it will sell, but I think it's positioned pretty well.

wazoo

You weren't around then, were you? I was a Sega faithful, and even I had completely had it with thier ADD-defined hardware releases... Lots of us were apoplectic with rage when they abandonned Saturn support in NA for the announced (but far from released) Dreamcast. It was like the straw that broke the camel's back. They had great hardware and decent games, and ZERO market support.

and zero vision. US CEO was blamed by the japanese boss right after US launch for bundling the modem with the console.

DC was a failure due to bad execution, bad marketing and gigantic money loss.

In fact Sega had ps2 devkits before the ps2 US launch.

Nimajneb

This graph is missing some of the more expensive consoles. The RDI Halcyon for example launched at $2500 in 1985, adjusted for inflation that's $4997. RDI managed to publish two games before going bankrupt.

Top Bottom