• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Falls S2 |OT| Mysteries, tall gingers & endless sweaters (series finale 2/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol... lots of Masonic imagery in the OP. (the pyramid with the eye; the Shriner hat)

My grandfather was a Freemason, but I have no idea what they did. It was something to do with non-evangelical protestant Christianity. (IE Presbyterian, Lutheran)

Toxi

Banned
lol... lots of Masonic imagery in the OP. (the pyramid with the eye; the Shriner hat)

My grandfather was a Freemason, but I have no idea what they did. It was something to do with non-evangelical protestant Christianity. (IE Presbyterian, Lutheran)
Who controls the British crown?
Who keeps the metric system down?
We do, we do!

Who keeps Atlantis off the maps?
Who keeps the Martians under wraps?
We do, we do!

Who holds back the electric car?
Who makes Steve Guttenberg a star?
We do, we do!

Who robs cavefish of their sight?
Who rigs every Oscar night?
We do!
We do!!!

Tizoc

I'm rather surprised that this is a kids show, some of the stuff in it are just too much for kids IMO, but they still manage to make it kid friendly and fun....and awesome!
Stan, Zombie Killer! Don't mess with his kids ya undead jerks!

Hope Disney doesn't neuter it in later seasons if any.

Can we expect Mable to
wear another Fire Hazard sweater every episode?

LuffyZoro

Just watched all the shorts and the first two episodes. So good, though I had to power through the awkwardness in episode 2.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Both episodes were great, so happy this is back.

Watched both episodes, and wow, I guess making the blood green really does give you a LOT of leeway. Both were great, and with the second, I'm glad that
the "Dipper has a crush on Wendy" subplot has finally been resolved

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Saw the second episode. Man someone on this show definitely is a fan of Myst, that descending tree mechanism (and
some stuff in the bunker
) just screams classic Myst design

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Brilliant first episode, got thrown off by Stan's slim rimmed glasses but in episode 2 they got changed back. Also really surprised by episode 2 that they finally made Wendy into a real character and not just to be in episodes for something for something Dipper can show affection too. Haven't been this content with a show in a long time.

KiN0

I'm surprised by how gruesome these new episodes were. I no it wasn't anything gross or even shocking but considering the fact that it's disney, I was really caught of guard.

jediyoshi

Nice interview on vox
http://www.vox.com/2014/8/1/5957813/gravity-falls-alex-hirsch-disney-channel-interview/in/5664110

Vox: The serialized story in season one played out in the background, then became very important. How much of that did you plan out?

AH: I think a lot of folks who don't work in kids TV don't realize this, but kids animation is its own strange subset of the entertainment industry, and animated kid shows, made in America, on the big three networks, Disney, Cartoon Network, and Nickelodeon, they are always 11 minutes. They are short. They are like SpongeBob. SpongeBob is a show that's 11 minutes. Adventure Time is a show that's 11 minutes. They are over in 11 minutes. They have two 11s in a half hour, and they have their own short structure, and then usually shows like SpongeBob push a reset button. If something explodes in one episode of SpongeBob, in the next episode, it is rebuilt, it is beautiful, right where it used to be, with no indication that it ever exploded.

As a kid that would drive me utterly insane, because I think as a kid I was spoiled by shows for an older audience that wouldn't forget their own canon, and then I'd watch shows from my own age group and be like, "Why do they think I can't remember this?" I think things like Harry Potter have shown us that kids, if given a reason to pay attention, will memorize a thousand character names and their family lineages if you only let them.

based hirsch

PK Gaming

Caught up with both episodes. Does this mean the end for
Dipper dropping spaghetti?

Seems like it

I for one, am super glad. Most cartoons run that plot point dry, but GF writers handled it like champs.
Seriously, Wendy is such a bro.

Tizoc

So far what do we know about
the 6 fingers on the book? I think the monster in Ep. 2 of Season 2 mentions that the author had 6 fingers?

e_i

Soos
made an awesome zombie
dude.
And then there's
"Dipper, what was the one thing I asked for you to not to do tonight?"
"Raise the dead."
"And what did you do?"
"Raise the dead."

Just finished seeing the second episode. Man, how in the hell is Disney allowing this show to air? Some of the stuff in there freaked me out. Glad to see they're advancing the plot so much in the opening stretch. This season is gonna be great.

So far what do we know about
the 6 fingers on the book? I think the monster in Ep. 2 of Season 2 mentions that the author had 6 fingers?

It seems Stan has some of the author's junk with him. In the first episode of season 2 Stan puts on a glove that has one too many fingers for him. Stan has five fingers. Sidenote: The number of fingers on people's hands in this show is freaking me out. Stan and Soos have 5 but Dipper and Mabel have 4. What is this?

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Yesss Scary-oke rerun tonight at 9. And the rest of the new episodes are recording on DVR. So pumped for this season

I just watched through the whole series and I really, really hate Soos. Anytime he pops up I just want to shut the show off, which is a bummer since the rest of it is very good.. like really good. I'm surprised I didn't bother watching it until now. I'd ask if anyone likes him. but I'm in a thread dedicated to the show so the answer is going to be yes.. I just don't understand who that character is supposed to appeal to. Anyways, Soos aside, this is a good show. This season already seems like an improvement on the first.

Opto

Banned
I just watched through the whole series and I really, really hate Soos. Anytime he pops up I just want to shut the show off, which is a bummer since the rest of it is very good.. like really good. I'm surprised I didn't bother watching it until now. I'd ask if anyone likes him. but I'm in a thread dedicated to the show so the answer is going to be yes.. I just don't understand who that character is supposed to appeal to. Anyways, Soos aside, this is a good show. This season already seems like an improvement on the first.

Soos is a ball of fun.

SykoTech

Just saw the second episode. Man this show sure gets away with a lot. Love it.

Also love seeing Wendy actually involved with the big stuff. Always thought she was a great character, but it was a shame that she was never around for the greatness outside of the convenience store episode. Hopefully they keep that up for the whole season.

Looking forward to Pacifica's return next time.

Q1HYTrt.gif

So, watched "Into the Bunker" today... (yeah, I know it was out early on-demand, amongst other methods, but I promised the missus I'd watch the XD broadcast with her; for this, thanks guys for following along with the spoiler-free requests!)

As we watched the ending sequence, the Simpsons' episode, "Brush with Greatness," came to thought. In the show, Marge was asked to create a portrait that made Mr. Burns beautiful. After countless tries, she decided a nude depiction was the only answer that did the trick while keeping her artistic integrity honest. As the museum goers became mortified at the sight, Burns turns to Marge and says, "You know, I'm no art critic, but I know what I hate. And... I don't hate this."

This is the exact state of mind I had about the conclusion of ITB.
I think it's easily apparent from the OT as well as many of the posts here that we root for Dipper. He's the underdog of the series; a nerdy, awkward, pubescent mess that we all once were (or still are...) The truth of the matter is that Dipper will probably never get that picture-perfect happy ending, but the good thing is that at least, he'll get something close.

Even before the craziness started, we find Dipper casually chilling with Wendy on her bed (atop her dirty laundry nonetheless) poking fun at D-rate horror movies. Oddly enough, Wendy's reaction to his half-hearted invitation makes it sound like she was always excluded from the previous adventures for some reason...

As the story progresses, not only do we see that Wendy is a force of nature of her own, but also she is often the first to take charge when Dipper doesn't, or furthermore, stands up to protect him from the shapeshifter creature, taking her fair share of lumps, cuts, and bruises over a journal she shouldn't give two fucks over...

At the end, Dipper asks her to forget all of the mushiness he mentioned, wishing everything back to normal. Wendy takes the "Mary Jane Watson" route ("I've known; I've always known...) and tells the truth about the reality of their situation, along with informing him what he's brought to her life, and most importantly, how it would be without him in it! Unlike every other boy who becomes somewhat romantically linked to Wendy, Dipper isn't reduced to a forgotten name in a cell phone whose texts/calls that she ignores.

After everything is said and done, Wendy does grant his wish. During the epilogue, movie night is back on at the Mystery Shack as if nothing had happened. Granted, Dipper may never get that kickass girlfriend that he wants for the month and a half he has left in Gravity Falls, but it seems like he'll get what a lonely twelve year old like him needs: someone like Wendy to stand at his side for all of the good and the bad (especially since Mabel seems to be somewhat of a turncoat every so often). And based on the few context clues she'd given this episode, Wendy just might need someone like that in her life as well...

Like I said before, it may not be the perfect ending, but I'd be lying if I didn't say it wasn't a good one! Kudos to Hirsch and team! If ITB was the Season 2 ideology of future "Wendy/Dipper" episodes, then count me the fuck in!

Quick notes:

1. They could say
"bra"
on the Disney Channel?
2. Fuck you, 3. As said in the Season 1 thread, didn't that
trap room remind anyone of the Rosetta Room from Double Dragon III?
4. Funny how
Mark Hamill says he can't do the "Joker" voice anymore, yet EVERY SINGLE baddie he voices has the exact same voice!
5. The only thing I'd change about the ending would be
Wendy's actual reasoning. To be honest, there were a million other things she could have said besides "age difference." (common sense answer would have been "long distance would never work..."). Plus, if you think about it, it's kinda of a moot point, since Robbie had to be older than her if he was carting her around in that shag van at night without adult supervision (gotta put him at 2 or 3 years older tops)
6. It seems that for Season 2 so far, the common theme is
bringing all of the secrets and unknowns to the surface. We learned more about Stan's role in Scaryoke while in "Into the Bunker," we finally saw Wendy's perspective of things, including that she wants in on the whole adventuring thing. Does that mean Soos can be any day now?

Some good news:

Gravity Falls finally won an Emmy!:

http://www.redcarpetreporttv.com/20...august-16th-at-the-creative-arts-emmys-emmys/

New preview for "The Golf War"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es09j4unvDw

and the official Tumblr for the GF Team has opened:

http://gravi-teamfalls.tumblr.com/

Boy, this episode's giving me serious
Resident Evil
vibes.

I feel ya on that... (EDIT: Holy crap! Looking at Gaming Side, that's quite a timely coincidence!)

Caught up with both episodes. Does this mean the end for
Dipper dropping spaghetti?

I believe
it will for the near future. Hirsch kept mentioning Robbie's return (in a podcast with Regular Show's JG Quintel) in which is he said to be "douchier" and planning vengeance on the Pines family. I couldn't see a situation where Wendy isn't involved, but then again, the GF team has proved me wrong before...

What the? Show's finally back!

Episode 2 is definitely one of the best in the series. Loved everything about it. The show does seem to be getting away with a lot at the moment.
Dipper lying on Wendy's bra, and the scene where he cuts the fake Wendy surprised me.

Soos was in fine form. "Good luck sleeping tonight."

Spoiler boxes please!

Crayolan

Wait what, Season 2 already started? I had no idea, I feel terrible. Will catch up on anything I missed tomorrow probably.

Tizoc

Anyone watched the TV Shorts?
These are mainly short clip compilations of various commercials on shows that air on the TV in the series itself. I suspect we will indeed see
Gideon back again, this time teamed up with prisoners

Also in th 2nd Mable's Scrapbook short
they mention a race with an alien from outer space, wonder if that'll be adapted

What the? Show's finally back!

Episode 2 is definitely one of the best in the series. Loved everything about it.
The show does seem to be getting away with a lot at the moment. Dipper lying on Wendy's bra, and the scene where he cuts the fake Wendy surprised me.

Soos was in fine form. "Good luck sleeping tonight."

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Just finished the second episode. I like how much they're doing with the plot so early, but it looks like next week will be more of a self-contained story, which is fine. Into the Bunker was definitely the better of the two, and it's wild how creepy it got, but I like the boldness. And Soos
zombie
was awesome.

The premiere was great, Stan was awesome, gonna be an interesting season with the FBI(?) folks. Episode 2 though, holy crap, was a huge step up. The
shape shifting monster and the Dipper/Mabel thing
the mature handling of the Wendy crush
and
the axe attack
. Disney, I pray you dont interrupt with Alex's input.

Hamlet

Finally got around to watching the first two episodes and wow what a fantastic way to start of the season
The first was a strong start but episode 2 knocks it out of the park
and nice to see that Dippers Wendy crush has been resolved so fast and on good terms. Shapeshifter was a great monster some of the stuff he turned into were creepy as hell (Mark Hamill did a great job as usual)

Soos with the best line in the episode "hahah Good luck sleeping tonight"
Mabel a close second though "Yeah. This room is way creepy. Not as creepy as Dipper's internet history"

Neoxon

I recognized Mark Hamill instantly. His voice is too distinct. I assume he did Into the Bunker before Star Wars Episode VII started production.

I'm also really glad they resolved the Wendy/Dipper subplot, & in the best way possible. Based GF writers.

I can't think of anything to say about Into the Bunker aside from how awesome it was.

On another note, the Gravity Falls Tumblr page just posted the full season 2 trailer theme in high quality.

It's interesting to know that the track was originally composed as an alternate theme song. As much as I love the show's main theme, I think it would have been neat if they used the trailer music for the season 2 opening. It has a much more ominous vibe which fits really well with season 2's tone.

ionitron

I can't think of anything to say about Into the Bunker aside from how awesome it was.

On another note, the Gravity Falls Tumblr page just posted the full season 2 trailer theme in high quality.

It's interesting to know that the track was originally composed as an alternate theme song. As much as I love the show's main theme, I think it would have been neat if they used the trailer music for the season 2 opening. It has a much more ominous vibe which fits really well with season 2's tone.

Oh god I said the exact same thing somewhere else. I completely agree about it fitting the tone of the season

OP I highly recommend you add gravi-teamfalls.tumblr.com to your list of important links because it shows some awesome development art of the show.

An animated show with this amount of love in the animation deserves it, it's incredibly neat to look at it behind the scenes. I have to dig around to see if I can find some other development art stuff from people that worked on the show, too.

Obligatory: SODUGASLDGDLH I LOVEE THIS SHOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWW

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Just saw both episodes, first episode was good, second episode was great. Basically in agreement with everyone else.

I'm assuming because of the first season they got a lot more freedom with the second season. Surprised they were able to get away with as much as they did in the first two episodes. Surprised they weren't told off that some of the elements would be too scary for kids, or too gruesome, or something like that. Very happy about it, though.

Man this season has been pressing the boundaries hard this season. "Into the Terror" was some Biohazard level terror.

I'm glad the Dipper/Wendy thing has been resolved, but I still hope she gets to go along with the group more often. She's been great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom