• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush 2 demo is live

viHuGi

Banned
Absolutely amazing beautiful game.

Oh and comparison with NieR? Really? I loved NieR demo too but this is amazing.

Kindekuma

Banned
Topic already derailed good job.

Nier ( which is really good btw) is going to be compared with anything right? ( Similar to TLOUesque if there is a snow area or a kid in a game)

I don't know why people are comparing the games in the first place. Because they have demos that release on the same day doesn't mean we should be comparing apples to oranges here.

Back to the topic of the GR2 Demo, the map gives quite a bit of freedom exploration wise. I got to this other floating city on the far right of the map and after a few steps inside I had to turn back.

Very decent play area just for this one mission, which is great.

Intel_89

I've lowered my expectations after playing the demo. 30fps instead of 60 kind of breaks the experience for me, movement isn't as snappy and flying around doesn't feel as fantastic as in GR:R. The game looks nice, sounds great and the combat seems like a step up when compared to the original but I didn't enjoy playing this as much as the remaster.

Oh and the camera doesn't seem as smart as it was in the original, it kept getting stuck in the ground and clipping through walls for me (maybe it wasn't THAT bad but it did happen more than a couple of times).

Can't wait to see the final build.

butman

Lol people saying it look low budget.
Also why do you even compare with Nier demo? Just because it was released the same day?

The things I have to read...

I haven't played the demo yet but going from 60fps to 30fps after the remaster is what I'm worried about

I'm big on FPS and personally, this was a non issue for me.

I played GR:R yesterday and the Nier demo right before this one. Was able to pick up and get right in and didn't mind the 30 at all.

I think it's because of how massive of a step up it is from GR:R in every possible metric visually (FPS aside) that it felt fine and natural.

The world alone is so incredible detailed with so many NPCs walking around, not to mention the physics when you start floating around on smaller stuff like food and plates. It's crazy.

Kindekuma

Banned
I haven't played the demo yet but going from 60fps to 30fps after the remaster is what I'm worried about

It's not that bad. I have the Remaster as well, and that shit is crisp. There are frame drops however in combat when the screen gets busy with debris and whatnot. But it's an earlier build from E3, and the devs reported further optimization and that there's a PS4 Pro patch in the works too. I hope it gets 60FPS because I need it.

And let's not kid ourselves either, it definitely feels low budget. Cutscenes are non existent, main character animations are pulled straight from the Vita game, and controls are clunky, inaccurate and glitchy. That's not to mention the framerate. The ingame art is a lot closer to the 2D art now (except for the faces which are still a bit funky), but this is a C tier game.

The main character animation are certainly not the same as before.
As for the control are inaccurate , i disagree even considering this is the very very old E3 build and it has been shown several times that those small bugs are not there anymore.
Controls are clunky ? i fail to see what you were expecting , especially if you've played the vita game or the remaster

xviper

played the demo, reached first battle and deleted it, thank god GAF didn't fool me into buying the Remaster, not my type of game, shitty combat

Am I crazy in thinking this is the best looking PS4 game I've ever played? Both tech and art combine to make one pretty ass looking game.

Those animations are godlike.

Moonlight

Banned
And let's not kid ourselves either, it definitely feels low budget. Cutscenes are non existent, main character animations are pulled straight from the Vita game, and controls are clunky, inaccurate and glitchy. That's not to mention the framerate. The ingame art is a lot closer to the 2D art now (except for the faces which are still a bit funky), but this is a C tier game.
For one, it's a demo - there's barely any 'cutscenes' to examine anyways. The demo constantly cuts in and out of events to place you directly into one situation to another. Are you complaining they aren't showing a fully animated cutscene just to talk to that one dock worker? It's not like when Raven cuts in near the end of the demo, she's relegated to a text bubble.

Though honestly the fact you accused the game of 'clearly' using the Vita game's animations just sort of tells me you weren't fully paying attention to what was going on in the demo anyways.

Moreover suggesting that a decision to depict most major story developments through consistently well-drawn comic panels misses the point entirely. GR deliberately evokes comic books. So you know, it makes sense that it tells a lot of its' story through comic panels. Turning that around to accuse the game of being 'cheap' for that is ridiculous.

I'm pretty sure your complaint about the controls has already been addressed, but much like how liberally you use 'low-budget', 'glitchy' is another basically worthless term used to describe basically nothing. Accusing something of being 'glitchy' is to accuse it of being fundamentally broken, which it... really is not. You disliking the feel of it or being unable to wrap your head around it doesn't really justify the accusation.

And if you bothered to read the thread I think you'd have already been informed that this build is based on an early demo and the final is supposed to be much more improved as far as frame-rate goes.

'C-tier game' lmao sure

Dantis

Maybe because one is focused on combat and the other isn't.

GTA driving is bad compared to Forza also.

Lmao Jesus.
I mean, is that so crazy? To say "just played the GTA demo straight after Forza, and I really struggled with the driving because of it. Feels so simplistic."
Is that unfair? Because I'm not convinced.

god I hope this isn't true. I liked how tight and compact the first one was

This one has the entire city of the first game and many new areas .. feel like the gravity storm near the city is gone so you can move from area to area ..it's a much bigger game.

It might even be possible that we visit "that place" so who knows how big the game trully is.

Menitta

I'd personally take the trade of framerate for visuals in this case. The game is damn pretty and I really like the vibrant colors, especially compared to
Nier :p
Gravity Rush 1.

I mean, is that so crazy? To say "just played the GTA demo straight after Forza, and I really struggled with the driving because of it. Feels so simplistic."
Is that unfair? Because I'm not convinced.

Yeah
YES

Since only 3 games are less simplistic than forza series on the ENTIRE market , so if you compare forza to a game not even in the same game category , it's certainly unfair to everyone involved.

dan2026

Demo was a bit short and crap.

Also why the hell are the gyro controls still there?
Did anyone actually use them the 1st time?

Sophia

There's nothing wrong with a longer, bigger game as long as all the content is meaningful and not just filler to pad out the length.

Nameless

As someone who spent upwards of 15-20 hours just flying around in GRR, the halved frame rate is big, as I feared it would be. Not necessarily a deal breaker, but the falling mechanic absolutely sings at 60fps. Fingers crossed the Pro version will bring the goods. Considerable step up in every other department, though. Especially Kat's animations.

Fbh

Nier is one of my most anticipated games of 2017... but its fanbase is already getting annoying.

"Oh you liked Forza Horizon 3?... well Nier plays better"
"My brother wanted to play Tropical Freeze, but I couldn't get into it because the combat is so much worse than in Nier"

Did you play around with the Lunar and Jupiter styles?

Lol I hadn't.

Just did right now. It's kinda badly explained. I interpreted it as exper mode just not showing tutorials, not that it was like half of the demo.

Both modes are really enjoyable, specially asuming that in the final games you get more moves and abilities with these 2 modes. Lunar in particular is really fun

Moonlight

Banned
I hope for more and more involved side-missions. Stuff on the level of the DLC missions in GR1, but you know, stuff you can just walk into and do.

To do the forward glide from standing while in lunar mode (from that popular gif), you have to push forward on the stick just before hitting x

Demo was a bit short and crap.

Also why the hell are the gyro controls still there?
Did anyone actually use them the 1st time?

For sure, I loved them on the Vita. The touchscreen controls never jived well with me but Ioved using gyro to fine tune Kat as she hurtled through the air.

The world alone is so incredible detailed with so many NPCs walking around, not to mention the physics when you start floating around on smaller stuff like food and plates. It's crazy.

Absolutely, the physics and destruction are amazing, plus just how good stasis is now, you can put it to good use (hope you get a good haul on Christmas btw to post about in the comics ot my man)

Moonlight

Banned
Part of me wonders how some of the reactions might not just be from checking out Experienced. It doesn't make it clear at all you only actually see any of the new mechanics without using it, and context makes it seem like it's just deciding whether or not you'd like a tutorial.

If there's anything really silly about the demo, it's that. Beginner is just a rehash of the tutorial from GR1. I can see people playing and feeling like it's not much of a leap forward.

Top Bottom