• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush 2 demo is live

The whole floating mechanic feels of, I just can't precisely aim to where I am supposed to go naturally enough. It feels really clunky.

I might give a proper try later but the first impression was very awkward.
Have you tried changing the motion controls? I do like using them, but if you're not used to them they might make you think the controls are imprecise.

The whole floating mechanic feels of, I just can't precisely aim to where I am supposed to go naturally enough. It feels really clunky.

I might give a proper try later but the first impression was very awkward.
Yeah, you might want to check the motion controls and turn them off. It is supposed to be a simple point and click as far as traversal. You aim with your reticule and hit R1.

MikeDown

Banned
What's wrong with her face and stomach lol
what isn't wrong with that stomach? lol

Washing my eyes out with Shunsuke Saito's twitter account and some good fan art.

https://twitter.com/sshun3

https://twitter.com/Kuvshinov_Ilya/status/812306325220642816
Love Kucshinov's artwork for NIER
ilya-kuvshinov-nier.jpg

ilya-kuvshinov-nierautomata.jpg

Here's more GR art

Pejo

Gold Member
So I beat the demo yesterday, and then went back in and just floated around and played around before accepting the mission.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but the only new thing is the stasis throw right? I was really hoping there'd be more gameplay elements over the first one. The other thing that disappointed me were the landing animations. I thought for sure they'd fix them so they weren't so jarring, but nope, still instantly goes from head first to feet. I get the inside joke about "kat" landing on her feet, but i'd have really loved it if they made the landing animations look a little more natural or fluid.

Anyways, there wasn't enough content in the demo to see what the mission types are going to be, but I hope something gets expanded from the first game. So far it just seems literally like more of the same.

LotusHD

Banned
So I beat the demo yesterday, and then went back in and just floated around and played around before accepting the mission.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but the only new thing is the stasis throw right? I was really hoping there'd be more gameplay elements over the first one. The other thing that disappointed me were the landing animations. I thought for sure they'd fix them so they weren't so jarring, but nope, still instantly goes from head first to feet. I get the inside joke about "kat" landing on her feet, but i'd have really loved it if they made the landing animations look a little more natural or fluid.

Anyways, there wasn't enough content in the demo to see what the mission types are going to be, but I hope something gets expanded from the first game. So far it just seems literally like more of the same.

Did you do the Experienced Course? There's two brand new modes...

Pejo

Gold Member
Did you do the Experienced Course? There's two brand new modes...

Oh I thought doing the Experienced Course just let me skip the junk up to and including the bird chase. I only loaded it the second time to get back to where I could float around unrestricted. I'll have to continue on it later tonight, looks like. Thanks!

LotusHD

Banned
Oh I thought doing the Experienced Course just let me skip the junk up to and including the bird chase. I only loaded it the second time to get back to where I could float around unrestricted. I'll have to continue on it later tonight, looks like. Thanks!

No problem!

Shin-Ra

What's wrong with her face and stomach lol
I think her eyes are a little too round, nose and mouth placement are drastically askew. The funny perspective works on the environment but not locally on Kat's face. Yunica's got an invisible lance squeezing Kat's stomach in.

Played the demo and it was fun,

It reminded me that while the first game (mainly the vita version) had some issues its still a good game that could get another crack at.

Really digging the new gravity styles and it was interesting that they split the features into 2 for this demo. Hopefully everyone new played both.

Also it looks fucking awesome due to the PS4 boost. :O

Looking forward to it since i'm actually interested in the story about Kat, so we'll see happens.

PixelatedBookake

Just finished GR Remasted and finished the GR2 demo. Lunar and Jupiter modes were genius ways to expand the gameplay. I found the combat repetitive as I got to the end of Remastered, but being able to switch modes on the fly in the middle of combat makes the gameplay feel fresh as hell. I also like how Kat and Raven are fighting together now instead of Kat luring enemies to her. Having the two talk to each other in the heat of battle was great. Excited to see what future moves Lunar and Jupiter mode will get. Love the super jump.

Humdinger

The pre-order DLC, or stuff like the upcoming March one that lets you play as Raven. Because I'm pretty sure you don't need to pre-order in order to get the latter.

Yeah, as I understand it, the Raven DLC is a free gift to everyone who buys the game. They are saying "sorry for the delay." It's not contingent on pre-ordering. I thought it was awfully generous of them.

I find it odd that we're just over 2 weeks out from release and we still haven't heard what the pro improvements are.

Fingers crossed for a 60fps mode.

Guymelef

I find it odd that we're just over 2 weeks out from release and we still haven't heard what the pro improvements are.

Fingers crossed for a 60fps mode.

Don't thik so.
Yesterday was spanish presentation for the media, and seems like only "4K" support was said.

Shin-Ra

Those globs of water are some good eye candy.

GR2waterglobs.gif

The physics objects blowing Kat's hair and clothing as they whoosh past still looks great too.

Shin-Ra

It's a little tricky to see with YouTube quality video but a pretty trail of round refracting sprinkles also follow the globs.

GR2sprinkles.gif

Jupiter-lifting a massive glob is on my list of things to try.

Woah, so this demo is not PS4 Pro enhanced? Very good IQ for the original PS4 users then.

While this is true, I can't help but feel as if the frame rate can't quite keep up with the action that's going on while maintaining this level of image quality.

I'm surprised that they haven't announced anything in the way of PS4 Pro mode details yet...

The game would really benefit from a boost to frame rate.

While this is true, I can't help but feel as if the frame rate can't quite keep up with the action that's going on while maintaining this level of image quality.

I'm surprised that they haven't announced anything in the way of PS4 Pro mode details yet...

The game would really benefit from a boost to frame rate.

The demo is based on the E3 build and they've said that it's improved since then.

Shin-Ra

Thankfully first person view, which is missing in the demo appears to be in the full game, separate from photo mode so you can take full-screen 16:9 pics without the HUD and Kat showing: https://www.instagram.com/p/BOo-lbvA9Oh/?taken-by=gravitydaze_ps4

I think it was DPAD-UP in the original game.

Photo mode might be limited to square Instagram-like pictures with filters and it's unknown if you can output lossless PNGs.

32213551715_107bd8f926_o.png

Shin-Ra

Doubt it's something review will go into detail with but someone might answer questions on the forum.

GR2demoFloat.gif

Exentryk

Tried out the demo coz of that will-you-buy thread. First time playing Gravity Rush, so here are my thoughts.

Firstly, the game is gorgeous! The characters, the cities, the UI, every single thing is absolutely beautiful. The world is beautifully designed that you can spend a bunch of time exploring. I loved the comic book style story cutscenes. The story seems to have an innocent charm to it. I liked the small story quest.

The combat on the other hand is average/poor though. The basic kicks and dodge just don't feel satisfying.
The controls are also not that great. Why isn't there a lock-on button? Trying to aim with the right stick for every aerial attack really breaks the flow. Having that stasis field on the Circle button and then needing to aim with the right stick is really poor control choice. Same for using aerial kicks with square (right thumb) and trying to aim (right thumb) at the same time. But I guess these could be remapped in the final game, so might not be an issue.

Another complaint is that she looks really clumsy when flying around. It would be better if she had defined and fixed animation for when flying somewhere. Sometimes when flying into the sky, and switching between stopping and moving, it's easy to miss if you're stopped or moving. The fixed animations would also provide more feedback to help with this minor issue.

I liked the concepts of Lunar and Jupiter modes. Being on the touchpad is probably not the best control choice though.

Overall, the gameplay wasn't good enough, and this aspect outweighs the positives for me. Will have to pass.

Tried out the demo coz of that will-you-buy thread. First time playing Gravity Rush, so here are my thoughts.

Firstly, the game is gorgeous! The characters, the cities, the UI, every single thing is absolutely beautiful. The world is beautifully designed that you can spend a bunch of time exploring. I loved the comic book style story cutscenes. The story seems to have an innocent charm to it. I liked the small story quest.

The combat on the other hand is average/poor though. The basic kicks and dodge just don't feel satisfying.
The controls are also not that great. Why isn't there a lock-on button? Trying to aim with the right stick for every aerial attack really breaks the flow. Having that stasis field on the Circle button and then needing to aim with the right stick is really poor control choice. Same for using aerial kicks with square (right thumb) and trying to aim (right thumb) at the same time. But I guess these could be remapped in the final game, so might not be an issue.

Another complaint is that she looks really clumsy when flying around. It would be better if she had defined and fixed animation for when flying somewhere. Sometimes when flying into the sky, and switching between stopping and moving, it's easy to miss if you're stopped or moving. The fixed animations would also provide more feedback to help with this minor issue.

I liked the concepts of Lunar and Jupiter modes. Being on the touchpad is probably not the best control choice though.

Overall, the gameplay wasn't good enough, and this aspect outweighs the positives for me. Will have to pass.
First of all, she is not flying, she is falling, which explains why she is not in a fixed position. Second, I don't really understand the need for a lock on. Most of us here have played the first one (more than once even) and didn't feel the need for that. Also, what exactly would you be doing then if you didn't have to aim at all? Just spam square? It seems you just need to get a bit used to the controls honestly. I suggest enabling the motion controls, as they make fine tuning before kicking way easier (and let you move your thumb from the stick to the square button quicker).

Renewed

Gyro aiming is all I live by thanks to Splatoon. Anyways, 1 week left so I guess I should get my preorder locked in.

You can remap the buttons yourself for the demo just like you can with any PS4 game. Maybe try switching R2 and circle. I also suggest turning off the motion controls and messing around with the game's controls to see what you can do that the game doesn't tell you.

The demo definitely isn't polished though. I crashed it three times by using the stasis field over and over again. If you toss a bunch of boxes consecutively at enemies, the animations they do when they're attacked will keep playing for a few seconds even if they're not being attacked.

But the combat's still fun. You can jump on top of human enemies, use the stasis field and then toss them wherever you want to including at other enemies (and that does actual damage).

It's hilarious.

muteki

Gyro aiming seemed better on the Vita with GR1 than PS4 and the remaster, but still would use it for most of the aiming, and all the fine tune stuff.

But you didn't really need to be terribly precise for most attacks as they would auto-aim if you were close enough, or the target was within the wider red targeting circle when you were shifting around.

Top Bottom