• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush 2 demo is live

UrbanRats

Still no hard lock though, however the softlock seems to be less janky, could be my imagination.
Sliding is much smoother too.

Guymelef

Stasis is finally worth a damn, now!
Everything is so pretty looking too (not only the graphics, but HUDs and menus).

Yep, Stasis Field is fluid now, auto float after using stasis on the first game was the worst part.
Also Stasis with Jupiter style is great, every object you attract condenses in a single big bullet.

I like how you can't dogde under Jupiter style but instead of it you can parry.

Part of me wonders how some of the reactions might not just be from checking out Experienced. It doesn't make it clear at all you only actually see any of the new mechanics without using it, and context makes it seem like it's just deciding whether or not you'd like a tutorial.

If there's anything really silly about the demo, it's that. Beginner is just a rehash of the tutorial from GR1. I can see people playing and feeling like it's not much of a leap forward.

I genuinely thought it was the difference of a tutorial on the front end and picked beginner and then quit out and went expert when I realised how basic it was! They definitely could word that better hah

Shin-Ra

She does clip through but this is a pretty neat touch in an open-world game.

GR2demoCloth.gif

Kudo

Had great time with the demo, even though it bugged out on me twice.
First when breaking the crates from the thief, after breaking all it just said there's 1 left, and second time when using Jupiter style to smash all the crates Kat got stuck in the ground.
Needs some work but this is really old build, right? FPS is pretty jumpy but I'd assume they'll get it ironed out for release, and should take advantage of Pro. Pictures don't do the game justice, it looks awesome in motion.

fvng

Demo was a bit short and crap.

Also why the hell are the gyro controls still there?
Did anyone actually use them the 1st time?

Uh yeah a ton of people used the gyro. If you are playing the game right you are using the thumbsticks for large camera movements and then fine tuning with the gyro for precision. That's part of the fun

Had great time with the demo, even though it bugged out on me twice.
First when breaking the crates from the thief, after breaking all it just said there's 1 left, and second time when using Jupiter style to smash all the crates Kat got stuck in the ground.
Needs some work but this is really old build, right? FPS is pretty jumpy but I'd assume they'll get it ironed out for release, and should take advantage of Pro. Pictures don't do the game justice, it looks awesome in motion.

Yeah, the one crate glitch happened to me the first time through the Japanese demo. I kept hoping one of the Nevi's would push me off the platform, but it never happened so I had to restart. And Toyama has said it's an old build (it's based off the E3 demo) and that they've cleaned up the performance since then.

DylanEno

Game is beautiful. Kat is <3. It's awesome to see her and the Navi on the PS4...but the frames dropped like crazy, especially whenever I started doing something like gravity sliding in town. Is this not going to be a 60FPS game? :/

Game is beautiful. Kat is <3. It's awesome to see her and the Navi on the PS4...but the frames dropped like crazy, especially whenever I started doing something like gravity sliding in town. Is this not going to be a 60FPS game? :/
It isn't going to be 60fps but this is an old build. So, the 30fps will be more stable than what is in the demo.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Just beat both modes. This game looks so damn good and oozes warm feelings with that art style. The crates destruction physics are dope lol. Kat & Raven are gonna kill it in this one. I'm in, most definitely.
Also using the stasis field and shooting objects feels sooo much better now.

Kensho

I'm loving the new stuff but... this demo runs like shit. The fps drops can be tolerable, but it hard crashed on me twice, and then it turns out if you have to pee and leave it on the pause menu it restarts to the very beginning?????????? What the hell?? It's the fourth time I try to finish it FFS!

jmaine_ph

I'm loving the new stuff but... this demo runs like shit. The fps drops can be tolerable, but it hard crashed on me twice, and then it turns out if you have to pee and leave it on the pause menu it restarts to the very beginning?????????? What the hell?? It's the fourth time I try to finish it FFS!

Yea I just got another hard crash my self. Deleted it and I'm re downloading now

icespide

Banned
Started playing the demo. Paused it to take my dogs outside. Came back and the demo restarted. That's fine I'll just wait for the full game

Kaako

Felium Defensor
For players that hard-crashed on this demo, are you playing on OG PS4 or Pro? Might be worth keeping track of this.

Kambing

Really enjoyed the demo, and great to see a next gen treatment of Gravity Daze. Does anyone know if the demo has a pro mode? Found the game a little blurry.

leng jai

The frame rate is terrible at times on the PS4 Pro and it runs basically silent so I'm guessing it's no different from the base PS4 right now. Game is absolutely gorgeous but the camera is way too close when you're on foot.

Kindekuma

Banned
turns out if you have to pee and leave it on the pause menu it restarts to the very beginning?????????? What the hell?? It's the fourth time I try to finish it FFS!

Started playing the demo. Paused it to take my dogs outside. Came back and the demo restarted. That's fine I'll just wait for the full game

You do know this is the exact build from E3 right? It was on the show floor. They had the game reset the demo after periods of inactivity so anyone waltzing by could start the demo fresh after the last person.

Find time where you can finish it in a sitting, takes like 10 minutes to finish the whole thing.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
The frame rate is terrible at times on the PS4 Pro and it runs basically silent so I'm guessing it's no different from the base PS4 right now. Game is absolutely gorgeous but the camera is way too close when you're on foot.
Correct. No Pro patch for this demo I read since this is still an old build of the game. Can't freaking wait to see the game with Pro patch included. Should be pretty fantastic IQ wise.

PSA: To perform Lunar dash forward to recreate those sweet superman gifs, press forward and X at the same time from the point of the stick being at center (when Lunar is on obviously). You cannot perform it in the middle of running unless you reset the stick to center and then press forward and X again.

Kensho

For players that hard-crashed on this demo, are you playing on OG PS4 or Pro? Might be worth keeping track of this.

It happened to me on the Pro. Twice!

You do know this is the exact build from E3 right? It was on the show floor. They had the game reset the demo after periods of inactivity so anyone waltzing by could start the demo fresh after the last person.

Find time where you can finish it in a sitting, takes like 10 minutes to finish the whole thing.

I mean... how hard can it be to change that little thing? I mean getting rid of the hard crashes ok, that will take work, but changing the time out thing should be a second before a home release :/

This won't affect my decision, I will buy the game, loved 1 and these 2 new styles in the demo blew my mind, but there are a lot of people who never played these games and I just worry about the first impressions.

Will buy day 1, hope it's stable and runs smoothly, this gem deserves it.

blamite

She does clip through but this is a pretty neat touch in an open-world game.

GR2demoCloth.gif
I spent the past hour or so getting the accordion guy near the start of the demo to keep dropping his accordion, and building a pretty decent-sized pile.

oTFWxdH.jpg

I haven't even made any actual progress in the demo yet, this is pretty much all I've done for the past hour.

EDIT: good dammit, I left the game on the pause menu for a while and got reset to the title screen. I wanted too keep playing with my accordion mountain... ;_;

Kindekuma

Banned
I spent the past hour or so getting the accordion guy near the start if the demo to keep dropping his accordion, and verifying a pretty decent-sized pile.

oTFWxdH.jpg

I haven't even made any actual progress in the demo yet, this is pretty much all I've done for the past hour.

Keep collecting. Do iiiiiiitttttttt

I mean... how hard can it be to change that little thing? I mean getting rid of the hard crashes ok, that will take work, but changing the time out thing should be a second before a home release :/

You'd be surprised. Devs will make a quick demo for a trade show and never go back to it after it's all said and done.

After playing this, I cannot possibly understand how anyone can say this feels 'low budget'. Mighty No.9 feels low budget. Resident Evil Revelations 2 feels low budget. This? Come on son.

NieR comparisons don't make sense either. This is neither an RPG or a character action game. Should we also lambast Mario for not having combat as tight as NieR's?

Kaako

Felium Defensor
This game is beyond gorgeous, being ps4 exvlusive really bumped this to a new level
And to think, we haven't even seen the Pro-patched version yet! I'm looking forward to that improved IQ personally and even crazier physics hopefully lol. And am hoping they really iron out any frame pacing issues for that super solid fps feel.

Max_Po

Banned
is this game as clean as the remaster for the first ?

I heard that the first game's remaster was ultra clean jaggie free !!!

of course I have the first game still sealed !

Grisby

Played it. Liked it. Kat and Raven's super feels like it almost gave m an epileptic fit.

I could leave the launch music on forever. Jazzy all up in here.

Combat hasn't advanced as far as I'd like, but it's only a demo. The new styles are fun and lunar is just great floaty stuff.

I am in.
wSEMsgu.gif

This sensation is why I love these games. Pure anime exhilaration. It's like falling through a scene from Kiki's Delivery Service.
My man. I thought about Kiki in the original game, especially with all of the errands Kat runs.
Already made some similar gifs fom the JP demo earlier this year. :D

bsdHeQA.gif
Gorgeous.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Lunar is not what I thought it was going to be. I thought it was going to be a kind of fast, high mobility mode that would be ideal for traversal. Instead, it's mostly just super floaty (which I guess makes sense, given that it's Lunar) with a short-range ability to teleport and perhaps slightly more control in the air in some instances. But for some reason, I really thought it was supposed to be fast, but it seemed like it was slower than the default mode when "falling" around to various locations. It is really nice to have a mode to handle those pesky flying enemies that loved to dodge in the original game, though.

PSA: To perform Lunar dash forward to recreate those sweet superman gifs, press forward and X at the same time from the point of the stick being at center (when Lunar is on obviously). You cannot perform it in the middle of running unless you reset the stick to center and then press forward and X again.

Thank you! I kept trying to make this happen, but I couldn't get it to work. I'll try this on my next/final playthrough of the demo.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
They really improved the gravity kick in this one and stasis. It's fantastic!

Absolutely agreed about Stasis. I really disliked it in the original and never used it for that reason. In the demo when they told me to use it, from the moment I first hit Circle, I thought, "Wow, that's so much better."

I didn't notice much different about the Gravity Kick, though. What feels better to you?

Top Bottom