• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush 2 demo is live

Just finished, can't wait.

Playing on PS4 Pro I didn't notice any performance issues. Obviously worse than remastered since thats 60fps, but its still smooth and everything feels a lot more tightened up than the first game.

Gonna be great.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Haven't played the demo or watched much footage but does the city feel more lived in? That was one of my big issues with the first one and even on the remastered version.

There were definitely a lot of people populating the city in somewhat realistic ways in the demo, so I think that probably got improved.

Oddly enough, I liked the emptiness of the original game. It added to the weird, dream-like nature of it. The fact that it was a bit of a ghost town in some ways (kind of literally) made me wonder, "How did these people end up in this city? How long have they been here? How long will they be here for?" I thought it added to the part of the game's personality that resonated with me most (and that I'm a bit afraid this sequel is going to lose).

Really short demo, but very cute. I had some annoyances with pop-in and the camera going a bit wonky and getting stuck in the ground. But I think that I liked what I played enough to stay excited.

The most important thing here is that Tanaka still seems to have his groove.

This feels great. Letting you summon a bunch of stuff to Gravity Throw without actually having to be near anything is an excellent change, and I'm having a lot of fun playing around with the Lunar and Jupiter styles. The confined space you have to fight the Experienced Mode boss in doesn't really do the game any favours, but for the most part it feels like a fantastic followup to the first game.

Is there still the "fall -> stop -> fall" thing for changing direction, or can you actually turn mid-fall now?

You could always turn mid-fall, just aim where you want to go and double-tap R1.

Cubas

Loved the demo. The fps was a bit iffy but this is an old build so I'm not worrying too much.

January can't come soon enough.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
This feels great. Letting you summon a bunch of stuff to Gravity Throw without actually having to be near anything is an excellent change, and I'm having a lot of fun playing around with the Lunar and Jupiter styles. The confined space you have to fight the Experienced Mode boss in doesn't really do the game any favours, but for the most part it feels like a fantastic followup to the first game.

You could always turn mid-fall, just aim where you want to go and double-tap R1.

Yeah, which is basically stopping and then going again. It was fine, was just wondering if maybe they improved on that. No deal-breaker.

Quillbell

Neo Member
I still love the demo (played the Japanese version a while ago). Lunar mode is so ridiculously fun that I would play a whole game with just that.

I didn't really notice it before, but they even improved the comic cutscenes. It's subtle, but the movement and the 3d effect is better than it was in the first one.

Arion

Loved the demo. The fps was a bit iffy but this is an old build so I'm not worrying too much.

January can't come soon enough.

I do hope this is an old build because the framerate was more than iffy. That final mech boss fight had single digit framerates.

Quillbell

Neo Member
I do hope this is an old build because the framerate was more than iffy. That final mech boss fight had single digit framerates.
It is. It's the exact same demo released on Japanese PSN in September, and used at E3 before that. It's at least 6 months old by now.

Jingo

Little help good people, never played the first, just tried this demo but i just cant float around, im always lost with no direction whatsover, any tips to move around smooth?:D

Also i enjoyed the demo, is this game action oriented or its more just moving around?

I've just realised I only played the Beginner demo. Will have to give the other one a whirl tonight. A few thoughts:

• It controls so well. Flying around is just such a joy in these games.
  • Kat is still wonderful. She's such an incredibly loveable and bubbly character. One of my favourite game protagonists in years.
  • The new city is really great and looks a lot more vibrant than Hekseville. So glad this sequel is on the PS4.
  • Combat doesn't seem much different to the first game, but I will give them the benefit of the doubt that it will be improved in the final version. Attacking via picking things up with circle already feels a lot more viable.
  • I love the menus. They're so beautiful and colourful and stylish.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

did we play the same demo? The FPS dropped a bit but single digits would have meant it was unplayable, and it never got to that point.

And yes, this is a months old build

SxP

Game feels fun, controls beautifully and the world and music are very loveable. But hopefully this being an old build means the performance in the full game will be better, because the pop in was very noticable and the framerate when the Nevi appeared in the market was terrible at times.

Arion

did we play the same demo? The FPS dropped a bit but single digits would have meant it was unplayable, and it never got to that point.

And yes, this is a months old build

On the base ps4 and it was bad for me. When the mech did the missile attacks the frame rate dipped hard.

This game just jumped from "ehh" to "definitely will be picking this up down the line" because of the demo.

Felt really fun, loved how colourful everything was. The combat has more depth as I saw in some gameplay videos so that's nice.

One question though, will the game have skins for Kat in the full game? Maybe something for a new game + mode or something?

This was the e3 build not the psx build which had better framerate. And I'm not sure what you mean by diagonal like controls

Her movement doesn't feel like it has 360 direct control. Feels like pad controls. I don't think it's 8 way but near it.

More noticeable after playing nier and the poor animation but again it's fine.

My biggest concern going into this game is wondering why the gravity controls are better than just flying around.

This game just jumped from "ehh" to "definitely will be picking this up down the line" because of the demo.

Felt really fun, loved how colourful everything was. The combat has more depth as I saw in some gameplay videos so that's nice.

One question though, will the game have skins for Kat in the full game? Maybe something for a new game + mode or something?

There will be a good number of costumes.
395933-AC1.jpg

The costumes from the first game also return, I think

Yeah kat will have multiple costumes; some of them you get by completing the story missions

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Ok. So this demo was kinda awesome. Real Jet Set Radio vibes. So Japanese in the best possible way. Feels like something Sega used to make.

Is this better than the original. Should I try the first game?

Ok. So this demo was kinda awesome. Real Jet Set Radio vibes. So Japanese in the best possible way. Feels like something Sega used to make.

I think it's a good idea to play the first game if you want to play the second one. It's still quite good, even though it's a bit rough around the edges (quite literally if you're playing the Vita version ;D).

Arion

Well it sounded like, "do you want button prompts on or na", so i changed from advanced to beginner.

Try the advanced course. It will introduce new mechanics and extend the demo with a longer mission.

The Beginner course should really end with recommending the advanced course. This demo just seems inadequate. If they had a better build at PSX why not use that?

pswii60

I really shouldn't have played Nier first! This seemed a bit of a letdown after that, but wouldn't have been great otherwise.

It's a shame about the 30fps, but mostly it does look beautiful. I'll still pick this up.

Mathieran

Banned
Played the beginner course yesterday and while it was good I wasn't impressed. The experienced course is much much better. Had a lot of fun. Graphics are great and the sense of falling is pretty good. Hopefully they smooth out the frame rate.

Lime

They still have that god-awful HUD I see. It's sad, as it obstructs the beautiful environmental art when the HUD isn't even relevant.

I wish they had made it disappear when you're just roaming the city.

I really shouldn't have played Nier first! This seemed a bit of a letdown after that, but wouldn't have been great otherwise.

It's a shame about the 30fps, but mostly it does look beautiful. I'll still pick this up.

This is very much an action adventure game. Nier is supposedly an action RPG, although I haven't seen much of narrative nor RPG customisation as yet.

Coupled with that, Nier absolutely excels in tight combat, this is the opposite - floaty and free form. This has also got magnitudes more character and care in world design and aesthetics...One of the most appealing looking current gen games.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
What framerate issues is everyone talking about?

I played through the beginner course and didn't notice any framerate hitches.

chrislowe

I loved gravity rush on my Vita, so I was excited to play the sequal on PS4.

I love the artstyle in this game, and the animations when she is kicking, looks ace.
But there is something with the framerate, maybe its 30fps, maybe its framepacing, but my eyes tells my brain something is not right.

Its not a big problem, but something is off.

The other problem is the gyro in the DS4, not sure if my 2 controllers are broken or if the gyros dont work that good in the DS4?, I have big problems aiming with it.

The music is well, not my kind of music at all.

But I am gonna get the full game for sure!. I want to see more of the story!, the demo ended way too early :)

Loved the demo, stasis is so much better than in the first game it's ridiculous. Would be nice if the camera was pulled back just a tiny bit further when you're just walking around though.

For the asymmetrical multilayer stuff in the mines: will the stuff you find be from just any players, or is it from other players on your friend list? Happy to add some folks when the game drops if so!

You do know this is the exact build from E3 right? It was on the show floor. They had the game reset the demo after periods of inactivity so anyone waltzing by could start the demo fresh after the last person.

I was wondering wtf happened. Still loved the gameplay and heart (I smile a lot when watching the cutscenes), but I was not expecting it to restart.

silva1991

I deleted Nier's demo by mistake, so I downloaded this.

Forgot how fun fun lunar mode was.

Grab it. Best Superman game made made.

yeah it was the superman game we deserve. fell in love with the art direction too, very charming and Ghibli-esque. will definitely catch the sequel anime in a couple days.

really looking forward to playing this demo. first game is one of the best of this gen for me, feeling really overwhelmed though with all these games on my slate now that exams are done...diving into hitman and deus ex right now...

I put too much time into the demo yesterday doing nothing but messing around with the gravity mechanic. Not touching the demo anymore. I need the full game immediately.

SHarris78

Is this more of the same as the first game? I always felt I was fighting with the controls on the original and gave up after a 3-4 hours.

Top Bottom