• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush 2 Review Thread

I was hoping that they'd improve the mission design, some of the races and Treasure hunts sound great but it's seems like they couldn't do much for the rest of the game.

Nice these are some solid review scores, low to mid 80 meta is about where I thought GR2 would end up, def not a title for everyone kinda like TLG.

I've found myself jiving with Gamespot's tastes a lot over the last year as one of the few big outlets I follow so a 9 from them is encouraging.

Looking forward to "falling" back into that world soon!

My impressions (completed the campaign and a few side quests):

- The game is too long, a lot of areas towards the second half feels needlessly padded out

- Boss fights aren't super hot, they feel like they sounded amazing on paper but the game can't fully realise the potential of them

- Story goes full anime at the end

- The fundamental gameplay is still really cool and fun

- Gameworld is gigantic, really impressive how diverse they've made the game

- Animations on anyone that's not Kat is poor

It feels like a game that is made to please fans and they succeed on that.

Seems like Kotakus review reflects my feelings spot on.

mollipen

Add to that the time spent taking pics of Kat and admiring the menus and environments and we're talking about a 400 hours game.

I may or may not have spent a lot of time taking pictures of Kat admiring the female NPCs in the game, and then remembered that I had set it to auto-upload all of my photos.

Hanmik

I mean about your being almost at the end.

Story missions alone won't take 30-40 hours, but also now way they'll take 6-8.

ohh I did not mean they take 6-8 hours.. sorry.. just pointing out Jim Sterlings "At least a few hours" compared to IGN's 30-40 hours..

raven777

- The game is too long, a lot of areas towards the second half feels needlessly padded out

- Boss fights aren't super hot, they feel like they sounded amazing on paper but the game can't fully realise the potential of them

These are most likely positive for me.
How long is the playtime? I felt the first game was way too short.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
It's looking good for Sony exclusives right now, lets hope Horizon doesn't drop the ball.

LotusHD

Banned

Can't say that disappoints me then lol

Anime boys.

Lol

mollipen

On some level I can understand why you say this, but I actually felt like the game wasn't long enough. Or, more precisely, the story felt rushed in a few parts.

Again, can understand this sentiment, but there was only one boss that really ended up on my dislike list. Pretty easy to guess which one I'm sure. Had a bit of frustration with one or two others, but not enough to dislike them.

Heh, yeah. And it's also "fuck yeah girls!" even more than the first game. Which, I mean, I'm never ever going to complain about, but some people might not like that.

Gurish

A very solid game it seems, and better than the original, fans should be happy.

Hoping for it to sell well enough.

Hanmik

50+ sidemissions.
endless online treasure hunts.
endless online mining missions.
story missions with about 10-40 hours of playtime .. (more like 15 hours, and faster if you rush them).

I didn't keep track off my playtime, but it was 15-20 hours I would say. But to be fair, I focused solely on the story campaign.

If you want to do everything it will take a lot longer.

Rrp isn't that at all it's way higher, can't remember many full price titles launching at the £30 mark day one?. I would say the average price is £40 plus day one resident evil is around £42 for example and yakuza 0 is £40. First party titles normally launch a slightly higher price last guardian was £49.99 at launch.

I've picked up the vast majority of my PS4 games at launch for around £32-£37. So yes £46 is a lot higher than normal for a physical UK release.

£45-49 is standard for most new ps4 games i see here

I only recall a few jrpgs that came out around £40.

Mmm, Well I obviously won't argue with your own experiences man, those are what they are, I have no reason not to take you at your word on that, but I would most certainly not consider £45-49 standard. £40 is definitely the regular touchstone for me both in store and online, and as far as online goes we both are buying from the same places. I imagine in store prices are better for me in Scotland, over London, but I do buy mostly online. Not sure how to explain that, I can only say I have literally never paid those prices , and only see them on the rarest of occasions (as mentioned, Game are the biggest culprit), and I generally buy day one and buy plenty of niche games.

Not that this is a big sticking point for me btw, I have my pre-order locked in, and in the case of GR2, I wouldn't let a few pounds block me from playing it, but I'm not surprised the original poster you quoted had brought it up, and I wanted to chime in to mention I don't find it normal either.

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.
I am concerned what Persona 5 will get ,as anime boys

LotusHD

Banned
For those who've played it, feel free to answer this if you can or want to lol:

- Do the Jupiter or Lunar modes get their own special attacks? Like in the first game, you had that drill attack, a black hole one, etc.

- Can you at any point actually use her "Panther" form that we've seen in trailers?

On some level I can understand why you say this, but I actually felt like the game wasn't long enough. Or, more precisely, the story was rushed in a few parts.

The quality of the story is for me something different from the padding. The constant need to have challenge rooms that hinder progress felt like a tideous way to extend the game.

Ray Down

Banned
I guess collateral damage is a part of being a superhero.

At least in DC.

767b9fbe4c9cc937180b320f5c5a37ac.gif

- Do the Jupiter or Lunar modes get their own special attacks? Like in the first game, you had that drill attack, a black hole one, etc.

- Can you at any point actually use her "Panther" form that we've seen in trailers?

Yes and somewhat yes.

LotusHD

Banned
Never thought of it this way before. This is canon in my mind now :)

Haha, same. All I know for sure is that Kat is definitely a superhero I wouldn't want to live around lol

I am concerned what Persona 5 will get ,as anime boys

I mean, I dunno how critics will see it, but import impressions are anything to go by, it's a very good game.

Woah that's surprising from them considering the first one wasn't too hot for them

Well for the guy who reviewed it, he's been promoting Gravity Rush for like months now; He really, really loved the first game. So I'm not surprised that he chose to review it, and also loved it. Not that that takes away from his opinion (to me at least), but as soon as I clicked the article, I knew he'd be the one reviewing it lol

Hanmik

The quality of the story is for me something different from the padding. The constant need to have challenge rooms that hinder progress felt like a tideous way to extend the game.

I agree ... there is to much padding in the game.. those "boring" challenge passages are not that fun ...

mollipen

Nope, I get that. The tablet stuff was starting to wear out its welcome with me right when it went away. And then... yeah. But I also remember feeling similar with the first game. I kind of separate those things mentally from the "main" game, which may or may not make sense.

First: yes. Some similarities to main, but also differences. And
in Jupiter Kat punches the crap out of enemies, which is hugely satisfying

Second; yup.

Quesa

yes to both, though not at will for the latter iirc.

madmackem

I've picked up the vast majority of my PS4 games at launch for around £32-£37. So yes £46 is a lot higher than normal for a physical UK release.
No it isn't at all, even more so for first party Sony which is normally a few quid more, I'm sure if you search you'll find gr2 somewhere online cheaper too.

ZeroX03

Banned

Seems like Kotakus review reflects my feelings spot on.

Doesn't sound like it's for me. Weaker score than the original which I wasn't a fan of either.

Wollan

Contrasting start of year for the HD-twin platforms.

Now that Gravity Rush 2 is done, start working on the next Siren Blood Curse please.

LotusHD

Banned
Never thought of it this way before. This is canon in my mind now :)

On second thought, while the void likely does save them, I'm pretty sure I've broken quite a few backs when I played the first game...

Quesa

Also 30-40 hours sounds a bit high to me, having beaten it and done quite a few side missions. Could be that I lost track of time, but I also think the game's inaccurate time clock (which counts time even while the game is paused) maybe lead to inflated hour counts. I'd guess closer to 25, not having done everything?

Guymelef

Also 30-40 hours sounds a bit high to me, having beaten it and done quite a few side missions. Could be that I lost track of time, but I also think the game's inaccurate time clock (which counts time even while the game is paused) maybe lead to inflated hour counts. I'd guess closer to 25, not having done everything?

For the record, Vita version counted time in suspend mode.

LotusHD

Banned

True. Well, as long as it's over 20, I'm fine with that. And then with the sidequests, I'm more than good to go.

DunpealD

On some level I can understand why you say this, but I actually felt like the game wasn't long enough. Or, more precisely, the story felt rushed in a few parts.
Going to agree with that. Especially at the tail end of the game.

Again, can understand this sentiment, but there was only one boss that really ended up on my dislike list. Pretty easy to guess which one I'm sure. Had a bit of frustration with one or two others, but not enough to dislike them.

I can see how bosses can become frustrating, because some fights are quite busy. Coupled with the potentially confusing Gravity Shiftings camera work, it could turn overwhelming sometimes.

My personal playtime is at 22 hours, which is tracked in the statistics. Did some side missions, no challenges and some Treasure Hunting.

25-30 hours is the sweet spot for me.
The only open world games I'm willing to sink 40+ hours into this year are Horizon ZD and Red Dead 2 because work and life stuff is seriously getting in the way of my game time lately.

Demo completely sold me on the game so it's good to see it reviewing well, although I won't be buying the game this month, don't have the budget, hopefully it also sells well.

Top Bottom