• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GRIN axes 160 jobs due to poor sales of Terminator and Wanted

stonedwal

I think they just expanded too quickly. Like fizzelopeguss said, they went from one studio developing GRAW for the PC to four studios working on a bunch of games in about 3 years.

I'd be interested in what the contracts for Wanted and Terminator were like - I would have thought they'd have been a work for hire type of deal - just look at the credits screen for Wanted, it runs for about half an hour and most of the people on it are movie company executives - but all of these layoffs would suggest something different was at hand.

It'd be a shame seeing Grin go down, but I think they need to focus their energies in the main studio. Bionic Commando seems like a good game with some weird design decisions from what I've played so far - I'd like to see them do another project like Rearmed.

Solution: Strider Rearmed
This.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Only game I enjoyed from them was Rearmed. Hopefully they transition to making handheld games.

Decado

Honestly, who cares (well, sucks for the people who were laid off)? What else have they done that's any good besides Bionic Commando: Rearmed?

Sean

Banned
That's unfortunate. While the only game I bought from them was Bionic Commando Rearmed, they seemed like very nice folks when they were guests on the Giant Bombcast.

wsippel said:
So I guess Mad World outsold it. If people wouldn't be losing their jobs, this would actually be a bit funny.

It REALLY REALLY REALLY sucks that people are losing their jobs. I wish all those folks good luck on finding new jobs. That said though yeah, they should get what's his name on a pod cast again and ask him about mad world outselling wanted.

ArjanN

Sucks for them.

Wanted and Terminator even if very short, were still better than the majority of movie based games.

Johann

Keyser Soze said:
Wikipeida says the studio only employed 230, so 160 is a rather large percentage to chop!

The official site says they have 130 in Stockholm and 250 in total. I wonder if it's a misquote because that is like seeing half of everybody in your office disappear. Then again, they had two huge bombs.

I was never a fan of their shooters but it's a shame they had a cut of that size. I've got to wonder if this is the end for movie-licensed shooters. I thought the Terminator game would sell well since it was released alongside the movie and it had a pre-rendered trailer for marketing.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Worst is, it's not really their fault. What do you expect when you're paid to make a licensed game in a few months? This.

Hopefully they get acquired by a studio that can give them better work.

Troidal

Kaako said:
As much as I fucking hate license games, I still feel for the employees who lost their jobs. I know for a fact that not everyone wanted to work for on those games necessarily, but that's life. Best of luck to those who were axed.

I see what you did there...

Best of luck to those who lost their jobs.

cjelly said:

28m2wwo.jpg

birdman said:
What's the last good movie game you played?

I don't think I've ever played a good movie game. But as far as I'm concerned, licensed movie games are only in it for the cash, and you're not likely to make cash from licenses from sub-par movies (though it's unfair to critique them over picking up the terminator license, as it was hard to see that one coming)

birdman

TouchMyBox said:
I don't think I've ever played a good movie game. But as far as I'm concerned, licensed movie games are only in it for the cash, and you're not likely to make cash from licenses from sub-par movies (though it's unfair to critique them over picking up the terminator license, as it was hard to see that one coming)

With how bad the 3rd one was and who directed Salvation, it isn't that much of a achievement to see it coming.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Yea they were doing too much and the games came out meh

They should've never contracted Terminator, should've pushed more on Wanted, had alot of promise and good ideas.

Take your time guys9that goes for all devs/pubs)

birdman said:
With how bad the 3rd one was and who directed Salvation, it isn't that much of a achievement to see it coming.

Meh, I thought the 3rd one was a decent popcorn flick, and the 4th had a snazzy trailer.

~Devil Trigger~ said:
Take your time guys9that goes for all devs/pubs)

But yeah, this. Greatness cannot be rushed, and the gaming populous is too savvy not to notice.

UraMallas

Yes Boss! said:
That's a bummer...but it seems like Bionic Commando is not gonna fair so well either. Loved Rearmed, though.
Bionic Commando had to be close to the top of my list of worst games this generation. No hyperbole, it was an abortion. That doesn't mean that I want people that made the game to be out of a job, however, I hope they find work soon.

jrricky

Banned
TouchMyBox said:
I don't get it, if this is true, how can one make a game that's short on content, release it at full price, move more units than the majority of games could ever dream of moving, and still not be satisfactory?
Are you that gullible or are you joking?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
You guys are being stupid.

The blame is first and foremost on the publisher, not the devs. You have no idea.

Kittonwy

Banned
orioto said:
Just heard via CGtalk and confirmed with a someone i know that GRIN has axed 160 jobs across thier studios in Stockholm, Barcelona and Gothenburg... apparently due to bad sales of Wanted and their latests Terminator game, guess thats what happens when you expand the bubble so much!

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=59&t=768094

How can they afford to hire so many people? The model of "expanding to 200+ people and crank out games that are developed in one year" does not work, it does not result in good games, good games take time and man-hours don't work this way, you simply can't get quality out of that kind of model, it also means the team would have to go through crunch time every year instead of every other year or every third year, that's a lot of stress on the staff to get good ideas out of them.

CamHostage

Ether_Snake said:
You guys are being stupid.

The blame is first and foremost on the publisher, not the devs. You have no idea.

Agreed. None of Grin's titles are bad games... some are misguided or developed as $60 with $30 gameplay components, but all are fairly decent and BC:Rearmed is fantastic. Aim more towards manageable products and less on the mega-budget ambitions for forgettable licensed product. (And do more 2D!)

I get the distinct impression that GRIN really over-extended themselves there. After Re-Armed they should've just stuck with Bionic Commando and just Bionic Commando.

Don't release three unpolished games! Release one polished game! It's a better way to earn respect.

MoogPaul

I think it's great how according to GAF no one deserves to be fired. What a wonderful world the internet is. You know, sometimes, people do shitty jobs. Not that I'm saying all 160 deserved to be canned, but I'm sure a bunch of them did.

I played wanted on 360... I thought it was pretty fun.

Terminator looks pretty bad though. And Bionic commando looks... awkward.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I kind of hope that the guy who produced/worked on the Wanted game is still there... the one who went on the various gaming podcasts when the game was about to ship and liked to drop a "shit" or "fuck" after every other sentence.

Hopefully he gets another chance at a real game.

In general, I think games need to be ALOT shorter. It's the reason so many of us don't finish games: the developers don't have enough ideas to maintain an interesting 20 hour game, so we get lots of repetitive filler.

I would love to see a company dedicate themselves to making a really awesome 2 hour game that you can replay in various ways (like Hard Rain may be).

-PXG-

It sucks that hard working people have to lose their jobs. But come one, they haven't made anything good lately.

MoogPaul

firehawk12 said:
I kind of hope that the guy who produced/worked on the Wanted game is still there... the one who went on the various gaming podcasts when the game was about to ship and liked to drop a "shit" or "fuck" after every other sentence.

Hopefully he gets another chance at a real game.

So bad game be damn, give that guy another chance because he likes to curse? Well, I guess it worked for Andrew Dice Clay...

Zen

Banned
EternalGamer said:
In general, I think games need to be ALOT shorter. It's the reason so many of us don't finish games: the developers don't have enough ideas to maintain an interesting 20 hour game, so we get lots of repetitive filler.

I would love to see a company dedicate themselves to making a really awesome 2 hour game that you can replay in various ways (like Hard Rain may be).

I agree about Heavy Rain, but I think the real culprit is ycould be lack of an attention span TBH. I haven't played a game yet that I haven't finished...
Patapon 2: 26 Hours and counting.

Banned
Massive layoffs are common in the entertainment industry. You hire a bunch of guys, steamroll through a few projects and then let them go. I don't see what the fuss is.

Oh and get that Peter guy on a podcast. Madworld outsold Wanted. LOL

Just heard via CGtalk and confirmed with a someone i know that GRIN has axed 160 jobs across thier studios in Stockholm, Barcelona and Gothenburg... apparently due to bad sales of Wanted and their latests Terminator game and Bionic Commando, guess thats what happens when you expand the bubble so much!

Fixed.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Massive layoffs are common in the entertainment industry. You hire a bunch of guys, steamroll through a few projects and then let them go. I don't see what the fuss is.

yeah who cares we're all gonna die anyway

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

I see. Tell me more about your fascinating insight into the entertainment industry.

Top Bottom