• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT5 out Nov 24 PAL/NA & Nov 25 JP HOORAY! The good times have arrived!

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
TEH-CJ said:
same here man. my baby is just 8 weeks old!.

here is a pic.

I WANT HIM!

Ashes

Banned
terrdactycalsrock said:
I guess i want to know why this series is so popular with gamers. Because i am a gamer but i would never associate such a niche product as being so universally loved. And i hope noone thinks im trying to bring down this thread. Infact my standing theory is that im to young to understand because i was only 15 when four came out, and racing games were just more popular back then

First of, driving is anything but niche, and what kind of driver hasn't thought of racing their car some point or another. :p
We've always had popular racers, mario kart etc. Maybe Pd made it big because they made people 'believe' they were driving and did it big time with playstation 1? It's only speculation.

And by the way racing is no niche genre. Formula one is right up there as being capable of drawing one of the biggest audiences in the world. Racing has it's history, influence and pedigree. Top Gear also is pretty damn popular. Sure other programmes, racing sports are not as popular, but that doesn't detract from how popular Gt, driving, racing is.

damn, we start asking why people love driving and racing then We'll be here all night. I've never raced in my life but driving my car at night is one of the most pure simple joys of life. Sometimes I don't go anywhere, I just do a loop around the city listening to my Ipod.

FtsH

BobTheFork said:
damn, we start asking why people love driving and racing then We'll be here all night. I've never raced in my life but driving my car at night is one of the most pure simple joys of life. Sometimes I don't go anywhere, I just do a loop around the city listening to my Ipod.
still do that at current gas price?

FtsH said:
still do that at current gas price?
Not as often as 10 I did years ago. More often than I did 3 years ago.

What is it about the entire They Might Be Giant discography that plays so well at night?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
BobTheFork said:
Bob, one thing I've learned from going to the city (San Fernando Valley in CA) to the more open (Mid-MI) is that you find yourself going on rides just to look at the scenery or listen to a new CD. It's actually very spiritual in a way. You're in your private space and no one can catch you while listening to some Tears for Fears!

The valley ain't got nothing on the scenery of the outdoors in Michigan.

Ashes1396 said:
First of, driving is anything but niche, and what kind of driver hasn't thought of racing their car some point or another. :p
We've always had popular racers, mario kart etc. Maybe Pd made it big because they made people 'believe' they were driving and did it big time with playstation 1? It's only speculation.

And by the way racing is no niche genre. Formula one is right up there as being capable of drawing one of the biggest audiences in the world. Racing has it's history, influence and pedigree. Top Gear also is pretty damn popular. Sure other programmes, racing sports are not as popular, but that doesn't detract from how popular Gt, driving, racing is.

i stand corrected

h3ro

I liked Goldrusher's original title, something along the lines of:

Gran Turismo 5 OT - Ode to the Automobile

I thought that was great. If not that, then The Real Driving Simulator gets my vote.

Ashes

Banned
terrdactycalsrock said:
i stand corrected

It wasn't really a correction. :lol I'd be lying if I didn't say that some people are arguing that driving games are on the wane... especially in N. America.
Other's older than me can help me with this. There was a time where everybody was trying to copy GT1 to no avail, kind of like fps overloads at the moment, till Criterion came in with Burnout and did their thing. GT and forza are the stand out sales titles. Even if Gt sold a great deal m... never mind that's not the point.
The point is, Gt on ps2 sold nearly as much as GTA did right?

The top ten best-selling PlayStation 2 video games.

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (17.33 million approximately)[107]
Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec (14.89 million approximately: 7.14 million in North America, 1.89 million in Japan, 5.85 in Europe)[97]
Gran Turismo 4 (10.76 million approximately: 2.97 million in North America, 6.36 in Europe, 1.26 in Japan)[97]
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (9.21 million approximately: 8.2 million in US,[19] 410,293 in Japan,[108] 600,000 in UK)[37]
Grand Theft Auto III (7.509 million approximately: 6.55 million in US,[19] 358,917 in Japan,[108] 600,000 in UK)[37]
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (7 million)[109]
Final Fantasy X (6.6 million) [110]
Final Fantasy XII (5.2 million approximately: 2.4 million in Japan,[111] 1.7 million in US,[19] 1.1 million in Europe;[112] 5.2 million shipped)[113]
Kingdom Hearts (4.68 million approximately: 3.45 million in US,[19] 1.23 million in Japan;[47] 5.9 million shipped including Kingdom Hearts Final Mix and Ultimate Hits)[114]
Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King (4.44 million approximately: 3.6 million in Japan,[47][115] 410,000 in Europe,[116] 430,000 in North America;[117] 4.88 million shipped)[118]
Total PlayStation 2 games sold as of December 31, 2009: 1.51 billion.[40]

Iknos

Metalmurphy said:
The difference between those 2 pics I posted could just be a dynamic LOD at work due to differences in the zoom/camera distance.

Could very well be that. The LOD could be tied to the distance of the camera. When you zoom in from that point it could possibly use that lower LOD version.

Best test would be used any car that had textures on it. You could easily see the lower LOD to medium LOD swaps in Prologue with cars that had stripes on them.

One feature that is going to be under recognized or under rated is how the drivers react to the car physics. Yes they are animated in terms of driving the vehicle but they seem to be jarred when going over rumble strips and sway correctly in reaction to the G forces on the car. Never got enough mention here.

-viper-

Banned
GT5 Takes forever to make the game of forever

GT5 The wait of your life

GT5 thread of inevitable bitching and backslash

But my vote really goes to The real driving simulator. It's perfect. On an unrelated note, I can't fucking sleep. I've been in bed for two hours and still haven't fallen asleep. What's more is that my right ear has suddenly lost the capacity to here anything. It's 3am and I don't know what the heck to do. Fml

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Fuck yeah got a Logitech Driving Force GT wheel off the Craigslist guy, $60 for hardly used (couple hours) of use, only problem is he didn't have the box but fuck it

Haven't been so excited for a video game in a long time

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Wario64 said:
Fuck yeah got a Logitech Driving Force GT wheel off the Craigslist guy, $60 for hardly used (couple hours) of use, only problem is he didn't have the box but fuck it

Haven't been so excited for a video game in a long time
Ain't that the truth.

Already did the spontaneous purchase of the G27 when it was 35% off, now I might make the CE jump.

Damn this game and its ability to suspend rationality. If there DLC, it doesn't matter what the price is, I will be purchasing the shit out of it.

gutterboy44 said:
Already did the spontaneous purchase of the G27 when it was 35% off, now I might make the CE jump.

Damn this game and its ability to suspend rationality. If there DLC, it doesn't matter what the price is, I will be purchasing the shit out of it.
Don't forget the PS Eye camera.

Fusebox

Banned
gutterboy44 said:

/jealous

The moment I get confirmation that the G27 is supported 100% by GT5 I'm gonna rush out and grab one too.

Top Bottom