• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT6 Demo Tuesday 2nd July

Liamario

Banned
Have to say that I found the demo to be very underwhelming. Aliasing everywhere, frame rate stuttering, graphics look worse if anything.

Bombadil

Banned
The cars look great, but all the environments STILL look PS2 level quality, just like GT5. And the cars still look like they float on the track in the rear camera perspective.

Sadly this series is both lacking the fun and graphical prowess of Forza 3 and 4. Which one is the better sim though is debatable. As much as I've tried to like the GT series, it feels stuck in the past and the developers aren't capable of moving beyond the PS2 era, especially in terms of environmental graphics. Just look at the trees. *shudder*

Forza Horizon is another beast entirely, with breathtaking environments, but its more arcadey. Still, its my favorite of the bunch.

I have high hopes for Drive Club though.

Metalmurphy posted this a few days ago:

itol28POkH8fa.gif

And the smoke jaggies are gone:

iyiyVcdQtZ9XZ.gif

Thanks for the posts.

I enjoyed Forza 2 and didn't want to get GT5 due to stylistic differences, but now I see I can't get either Forza 5 or GT6.

I guess I'll wait for Project Cars on Wii U until GT7.

Played the demo.

+Loading times are much faster.
+UI seems a lot more intuitive.
+Handling feels great, more responsive.

-Graphically, it looks worse. Lots of shimmering and poor textures.
-Still not impressed with the UI layout, think it looks dated.

It feels great to drive but for a game coming at the end of the generation I expected much better graphically. The lack of a community manager or any collaboration with other studios at PD shows they are still stuck in a bubble and I'm expecting disappointment when GT6 arrives.

Thanks for the posts.

I enjoyed Forza 2 and didn't want to get GT5 due to stylistic differences, but now I see I can't get either Forza 5 or GT6.

I guess I'll wait for Project Cars on Wii U until GT7.

You won't get either forza 5 or gt 6, but will wait for Project Cars on Wii U. The version with digital triggers and no wheel alternative?

I wonder if they'll release an actual GT6 demo closer to release.

Also, PD have caught on and have locked out the final bonus event. The leaderboard was wiped too, lawl. It was bound to happen soon or later.

Bombadil

Banned
The hell?

The menu design, the music, the color schemes.

You won't get either forza 5 or gt 6, but will wait for Project Cars on Wii U. The version with digital triggers and no wheel alternative?

Well, Wii U is what I have, and GT5 and 6 don't interest me. I could get Project Cars on the PC, but my cooling system is broken.

I also don't have a wheel and wouldn't pay for one.

ethomaz

Banned
The cars look great, but all the environments STILL look PS2 level quality, just like GT5. And the cars still look like they float on the track in the rear camera perspective.

Sadly this series is both lacking the fun and graphical prowess of Forza 3 and 4. Which one is the better sim though is debatable. As much as I've tried to like the GT series, it feels stuck in the past and the developers aren't capable of moving beyond the PS2 era, especially in terms of environmental graphics. Just look at the trees. *shudder*

Forza Horizon is another beast entirely, with breathtaking environments, but its more arcadey. Still, its my favorite of the bunch.

The graphics in GT5 or GT6 are better than Forza 3 and 4 IMO... and Forza swap LOD models with a lot of cars in the track with really crap cars models (PS2 level cars).

nib95

Banned
So where are the jaggies people are talking about? Game looks super clean on my plasma. Cleaner than GT5 by a good margin. In-fact, I have to really look for jaggies to find any. Weird. Have you guys got your sharpness settings turned all the way down?

Facundo_Lopez

Neo Member
i don't know if you guys noticed, but there's an option to add AA on settings...

in my 23" Monitor, it looks really good, and it handles amazingly better than GT5.

there's still 5 months of polishing, and i don't think it'll look better than this.

Well, Wii U is what I have, and GT5 and 6 don't interest me. I could get Project Cars on the PC, but my cooling system is broken.

I also don't have a wheel and wouldn't pay for one.

From you previous posts about Forza 2 & gt5 I assumed you had a ps3 or 360 so i wondered you wouldn't get pcars on those instead. I can't imagine putting any proper time into the game or any sim with digital triggers.

If you have a capable pc I wouldn't touch console versions anyway.

Smokey

Played earlier with my g27 wheel..

Have a meh feel about it

Looks underwhelming to me. Really wish they put this on ps4

Bombadil

Banned
From you previous posts about Forza 2 & gt5 I assumed you had a ps3 or 360 so i wondered you wouldn't get pcars on those instead. I can't imagine putting any proper time into the game or any sim with digital triggers.

If you have a capable pc I wouldn't touch console versions anyway.

What do you mean by digital triggers?

Are you saying that I press something on the gamepad's touchscreen to accelerate/brake the car?

I have an i7 2600 with 8 gigs of DDR3 and a gtx 570 with 1.28 gigs of RAM. But I my fan controls went berserk (damn you Scythe!) and I don't feel like playing any games on it.

nib95

Banned

Have a meh feel about it

Did you change all the relevant settings? Go to settings from the main menu and turn on simulation steering for your wheel, up the force feedback etc. Make sure you race with everything off or turned to 0 except ABS (set to 1).

What do you mean by digital triggers?

Are you saying that I press something on the gamepad's touchscreen to accelerate/brake the car?

I have an i7 2600 with 8 gigs of DDR3 and a gtx 570 with 1.28 gigs of RAM. But I my fan controls went berserk (damn you Scythe!) and I don't feel like playing any games on it.

It means they're not pressure sensitive. The Wii U Pro controller also has digital triggers. So playing any kind of sim racer on Wii U sounds like a terrible idea. Your PC should be able to play Projects CARS just fine.

Smokey

Did you change all the relevant settings? Go to settings from the main menu and turn on simulation steering for your wheel, up the force feedback etc. Make sure you race with everything off or turned to 0 except ABS (set to 1).

I did not. I'll try this when I get home though, thanks.

ethomaz

Banned
i don't know if you guys noticed, but there's an option to add AA on settings...

in my 23" Monitor, it looks really good, and it handles amazingly better than GT5.

there's still 5 months of polishing, and i don't think it'll look better than this.
It is three options in IQ? What is the better one?

Have a meh feel about it

Yeah, GT defaults with all the fisher-price assisted settings on and turned to max, and it's understandable for those that use a controller.

But if you have a wheel and gas/brake pedals, those assists are not needed and are actually hampering your performance. Turn that nonsense off if you haven't already.

TTG

How are the visuals for this game, as compared to GT5?

Appreciably better and a lot of that is due to the lighting, it's a significant step forward.

There are glitches and framerate problems, but this is essentially in beta, months from release(assuming there's no delay). Once they get that stuff worked out, it's going to be tremendous.

The menu design, the music, the color schemes.

The menus I can understand, GT5 had the worst designed & most confusing menu layout for any racing game I ever played.

Has anyone figured out if the demo is the same build from e3 or is it different graphically?
I'm still hoping this GT Academy demo is not based on the final GT6 build to be released, because the GT6 trailers looked vastly superior to it.

The menus I can understand, GT5 had the worst designed & most confusing menu layout for any racing game I ever played.

Has anyone figured out if the demo is the same build from e3 or is it different graphically?
I'm still hoping this GT Academy demo is not based on the final GT6 build to be released, because the GT6 trailers looked vastly superior to it.

The game is still 4/5 months away from being released, GT Academy 2013 is far from the final build of GT6.

Servbot24

Banned
I'm a very casual GT player (don't really know much about cars), but the GT6 demo seemed slightly better than GT5 in pretty much all aspects. Still don't think it will justify me buying a brand new game for marginal improvements.

gtmax

The ironic thing about the physics feeling so much better, proper even, is that it invalidates the argument that the GT zealots were using on GT5 as having being already great in physics. The rest of us were arguing that it was nowhere near what it claimed to offer: real driving simulation - even if we knew this was just a marketing term.

I bet that no one will be able to play any previous versions of GT save GT3.

The game is unplayable in cockpit and i've love to see videos of people who claim they see no framerate problems whilst on 720p/cockpit view. For me no problems in 1st person, unplayable in cockpit.

I'm willing to accept that this could be very old code that they threw in together for this Academy shindig. I could give two shits really. It feels fantastic with the controller so i can't wait to plug in the G25 (retired Fanatec wheel, it sucked).

All i want is to throw cars around and get the feeling that there's a pretend real sense of real physics and thus danger in driving at the limit. So far so good so i'm there day one so long as they don't cock up the physics from here on out.

Oh and the engine sounds are abysmal. And they WILL NOT change by release date, not by much anyways. It's like they're using ps3 for physics and graphics and a ps1 for sounds.

ethomaz

Banned
The ironic thing about the physics feeling so much better, proper even, is that it invalidates the argument that the GT zealots were using on GT5 as having being already great in physics. The rest of us were arguing that it was nowhere near what it claimed to offer: real driving simulation - even if we knew this was just a marketing term.

The game is unplayable in cockpit and i've love to see videos of people who claim they see no framerate problems whilst on 720p/cockpit view. For me no problems in 1st person, unplayable in cockpit.

I'm willing to accept that this could be very old code that they threw in together for this Academy shindig. I could give two shits really. It feels fantastic with the controller so i can't wait to plug in the G25 (retired Fanatec wheel, it sucked).

All i want is to throw cars around and get the feeling that there's a pretend real sense of real physics and thus danger in driving at the limit. So far so good so i'm there day one so long as they don't cock up the physics from here on out.

Oh and the engine sounds are abysmal. And they WILL NOT change by release date, not by much anyways. It's like they're using ps3 for physics and graphics and a ps1 for sounds.
I claim that I didn't have any framerate issue in 1080p even in cockpit view but I use SSD so...

nib95

Banned

The funny thing about it is that GT5s physics were already seen as appreciably better than Forza 4s, even by numerous Sim outlets and mags. GT6 just takes it to another level. I already found GT5s suspension and road feedback better than Forza's, so comparing it to GT6's is going to be even more eye opening.

Also, I disagree with you on the sounds. Connected up my surround sound, turned music off and put sound effects to 120 and imo it sounds good. Not great, but good. I watched a few vids of the Leaf and it does actually have that whiney electric hum in real life. The sound effects might not have the added hollywoodised lion roars and screams mixed in a la Forza, but this is a Sim racer, not an arcade racer, so exaggerated sound effects also need not apply.

TTG

The ironic thing about the physics feeling so much better, proper even, is that it invalidates the argument that the GT zealots were using on GT5 as having being already great in physics.

Why? It does no such thing. Aha! You said this Corvette was more fun to drive than the Z4, so obviously you were lying or delusional about the Z4 being fun to drive!

Animal

Banned
i am in the top two hundred worldwide in all four practice sectors. It is time for me to deliver on a full lap.

The trailers are pre rendered at higher resolution and downsampled like they've always been.

FinalSeven

Neo Member
I really need to get another PS3 so I can try this out. I really loved GT5, and this looks like it's going to another great Gran Turismo as well. The smoke effects are godly.

madmackem

Wow so much wrong in that post.

ruttyboy

So where are the jaggies people are talking about? Game looks super clean on my plasma. Cleaner than GT5 by a good margin. In-fact, I have to really look for jaggies to find any. Weird. Have you guys got your sharpness settings turned all the way down?

I've been thinking the same thing since I first played the demo, on my setup (1080p LCD) there are far fewer jaggies than in GT5. Maybe it's a 720p thing?

Also, lol at all the environments being PS2 level quality, I guess there was no 'new for GT5/reused from GT4' controversy after all.

I've been thinking the same thing since I first played the demo, on my setup (1080p LCD) there are far fewer jaggies than in GT5. Maybe it's a 720p thing?

Also, lol at all the environments being PS2 level quality, I guess there was no 'new for GT5/reused from GT4' controversy after all.

I don't think it's jaggies people are seeing but shimmering on stuff like white lines and cat outlines. Also I think the game is blurry now. I do prefer GT5 as far as IQ goes.

ruttyboy

No, what I'm talking about isn't heat haze, not to mention that there's no engine heat haze in GT, and IIRC there's only heat haze in replays at a distance.

It was a joke, I was making excuses for King GT :)

Seriously though, I do much prefer the look of the demo to GT5, I find jaggies far more immersion breaking than some shimmering, but obviously it's in the eye of the beholder.

bj00rn_

Banned

I played it on my 27 PC monitor and there was quite a few jaggies, surprisingly much in fact . But I was thinking that it probably would look better on my plasma, like you kinda said, so I didn't dwell on it. Maybe some settings, I don't know, but it was shimmering all over the place in a way.

televator

Just worked on a couple of golds in the time trials. I fuken love time trials!

So about the new grip/suspension physics... IT'S FANTASTIC. It brings back memories of GT4 for me. It's so much more dynamic. I love that a FWD electric car will kick its rear out under the right conditions. Stuff like this happens in real life, so I'm glad that it gives cars a much more intuitive feel.

Body roll is back with a vengeance! It annoyed me to no end how little drastic changes to the suspension affected body roll in GT5. Oh this will add so much more range in dialing in the suspension!

Whether the game looks better or worse than GT5 is irrelevant to me at this point. The physics are blowing it away so far.

I played GT5 and the GT6 demo back to back yesterday, and GT6 has much more jaggies than GT5. It's still a wonderful looking game and the new physics engine is awesome, but there are more jaggies, that's how it always work on console anyway. The more advanced the games are the shittier the IQ gets. There's only so much you can do on a fixed hardware. If you want more details and complex stuff, there are compromise to be made.

Game looks great on the Sony HMZ-T1, very exhilarating.

But I don't get why there are still jaggies on the cars IN REPLAY even at 1:1 720p with no upscaling. I mean surely it can afford better AA during replays?

Top Bottom