• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT6 Demo Tuesday 2nd July

velociraptor

I love the 24 hour Nurburgring that GT5 has. I don't care for helicopters. But having crowds even just more... organic things track side will make their tracks look better. When I drive down to the finish line, I should be hearing screaming and cheering. There is none of that (at least, none that I can hear lol).

I agree. I want busy tracks. I want the world to feel alive.

As far as tracks feeling more alive goes, you can pretty much blame that on the PS3 hardware. They even had to remove certain things in GT5 to boost the performance. It's not really their fault that the console was designed in a way that kinda limits them to what they can do. Go back and look at the Vision GT trailers for an example of what they wanted to do with the PS3, and what's their end goal for how they want the tracks to look in the series in terms of being alive.

paskowitz

LOOK AT THIS SHIT.
LOOK AT IT.
SOOO GOOOD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFf60BBea6A

EDIT: Fuck, the Grand Canyon track looks better than some GT5 tracks. Seriously, that's sad.

GT really needs this type of stuff. Makes everything feel so alive.

Even a little touch like the crowd yelling louder when the fininish of a race is close would be welcome.

I feel like PD want to create roughly the same style of game over and over because that is what they like.

When GTR2 and GT4 were out I always felt that combined the would make the perfect racing game. In a way PCARS and A/C are moving in that direction. I hope with a new console Kaz and team will take more risks and change the formula up a bit.

GT really needs this type of stuff. Makes everything feel so alive.

Even a little touch like the crowd yelling louder when the fininish of a race is close would be welcome.

I feel like PD want to create roughly the same style of game over and over because that is what they like.

When GTR2 and GT4 were out I always felt that combined the would make the perfect racing game. In a way PCARS and A/C are moving in that direction. I hope with a new console Kaz and team will take more risks and change the formula up a bit.

This x10,000. Even if it falls flat and they revert back to the classic formula for the following game, I just want one GT game to start with a clean slate and try some crazy shit. My dream feature is a 100% persistent car ownership, tire wear and mechanical damage. Make them used cars feel used.

nib95

Banned
This x10,000. Even if it falls flat and they revert back to the classic formula for the following game, I just want one GT game to start with a clean slate and try some crazy shit. My dream feature is a 100% persistent car ownership, tire wear and mechanical damage. Make them used cars feel used.

I'm down for this. Maybe with the new hardware they could actually do something like this as well.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
So if you want to play the demo at more or less solid 60FPS from cockpit view, what are the steps exactly? Do you have to switch console video output to 720p, or to switch to 720p in demo itself? Or, as someone mentioned, is it enough to just enable some flicker reduction from the demo menus, and leave everything at 1080p?

So if you want to play the demo at more or less solid 60FPS from cockpit view, what are the steps exactly? Do you have to switch console video output to 720p, or to switch to 720p in demo itself? Or, as someone mentioned, is it enough to just enable some flicker reduction from the demo menus, and leave everything at 1080p?

Just switch your console resolution to 720p.

As much as GT4 is worse than 5 in physics, I feel GT4 was a lot more fun than GT5 ever was. The tracks were so well made. And allowing B-spec Bob to drive for you was just so good.

Just look at this list real quick, and really take a look at it...

Citta di Aria - Driving in between those buildings in a Minolta... so good.
Costa di Amalfi - Another fun track
George V Paris - London has nothing on this
Hong Kong - Such a fun track
New York - Classic gone missing
Opera Paris - A better "Madrid" track
Seattle Circuit - Classic gone missing
Seoul Central -... well.. I honestly never cared for the track lol

Then look at the dirt/snow list:

Cathedral Rocks Trail I
Cathedral Rocks Trail II
Grand Canyon
Ice Arena
Swiss Alps
Tahiti Maze

These things dump on Toscana and even Eiger Trail K.

I honestly don't think this is Nostalgia. These tracks were perfection. I feel GT5 was far from that mark, and I hope GT6 doesn't leave a lot of these tracks out...

Just switch your console resolution to 720p.

What he said. Also, go to the Display Options in the games Options, and set Image Quality to "Flicker Reduction."

As much as GT4 is worse than 5 in physics, I feel GT4 was a lot more fun than GT5 ever was. The tracks were so well made. And allowing B-spec Bob to drive for you was just so good.

Just look at this list real quick, and really take a look at it...

Citta di Aria - Driving in between those buildings in a Minolta... so good.
Costa di Amalfi - Another fun track
George V Paris - London has nothing on this
Hong Kong - Such a fun track
New York - Classic gone missing
Opera Paris - A better "Madrid" track
Seattle Circuit - Classic gone missing
Seoul Central -... well.. I honestly never cared for the track lol

Then look at the dirt/snow list:

Cathedral Rocks Trail I
Cathedral Rocks Trail II
Grand Canyon
Ice Arena
Swiss Alps
Tahiti Maze

These things dump on Toscana and even Eiger Trail K.

I honestly don't think this is Nostalgia. These tracks were perfection. I feel GT5 was far from that mark, and I hope GT6 doesn't leave a lot of these tracks out...

My assumption is that PD struggled to get their desired gfx level with PS3 hardware so much they forgot to make a game and not just a gfx engine. So many of the game features felt half finished. GT4 seemed like they were trying to make a better, more enjoyable game in addition to the gfx fidelity and physics.

Dead Man

Being able to swap between A and B spec was so much better than the hard division between them in 5. Made endurance races much more interesting.

My assumption is that PD struggled to get their desired gfx level with PS3 hardware so much they forgot to make a game and not just a gfx engine. So many of the game features felt half finished. GT4 seemed like they were trying to make a better, more enjoyable game in addition to the gfx fidelity and physics.

Agreed. 100%.

Being able to swap between A and B spec was so much better than the hard division between them in 5. Made endurance races much more interesting.

I never understood why Bob was no longer able to tag in for endurance races. None of the GT5 additional B spec features seemed like they would conflict with that feature. Would have been really cool to have your own team to handle the long endurance races with.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Interestingly enough, I enjoyed driving in GT5 prologue already far, far more than any racing in GT4. I got more fun out of prologue alone than GT4. In 4 it never felt like I was driving an actual car in comparison.

Risgroo

Add me, I need some competition! PSNID: KaizorPenguin

I thought I already had most of GTGaf on my FL, though I might have removed a few when I was trying to clean up my list.

Jaxson

Banned
Downloaded the demo last night. I'd like to thank Sony for saving me 60 dollars. I found the entire experience to be awful. My driving view of choice is behind the wheel, which in the demo was a framerate-dropping nightmare. Just awful. Didn't help that all the surroundings have a weird shimmer to them. Obviously a lot can be tweaked and fixed prior to release, so it's not a lost cause, but I'm definitely no longer buying it sight unseen.

televator

Even so I hesitate to call GT5 physics "better" than GT4's. Most standard cars felt dialed in and really rigid as far as tuning went. Suspension changes just had no significant range for standard cars. I'm sure that with premium cars the physics were better and there was a lot more calculation behind them, but they weren't the majority of the car selection in the game.

Downloaded the demo last night. I'd like to thank Sony for saving me 60 dollars. I found the entire experience to be awful. My driving view of choice is behind the wheel, which in the demo was a framerate-dropping nightmare. Just awful. Didn't help that all the surroundings have a weird shimmer to them. Obviously a lot can be tweaked and fixed prior to release, so it's not a lost cause, but I'm definitely no longer buying it sight unseen.
1080p mode is messed up, play in 720p, you'll still get shimmering though. Also this isn't a demo. The game is releasing in over 4 months...

Vire

Just tried this the demo.

Pretty cars
Ok looiking tracks
Boring game
Bad stutter in places

I expected this to be as good as Forza but it's just not! either a case of the devs getting things wrong or the 360 is a bit more powerful for this type of game.

However this is on an old 80gig fat system but i wouldn't of thought the newer PS3 slim models are quicker.

It's not that the 360 is more powerful, it's that PD has become incompetent. Forza is just better... there's no way around it.

It's crazy how mismanaged they have been since GT4.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
It's not that the 360 is more powerful, it's that PD has become incompetent. Forza is just better... there's no way around it.

I like how you think your opinion is factually correct.

Man, where's my GT6 vs Forza 5 thread?

Vire

I like how you think your opinion is factually correct.

Man, where's my GT6 vs Forza 5 thread?

Did you play the GT6 demo?

The sound coming from the cars is downright embarrassing. Did they mic up the local air conditioner or something?

I really don't know how that even got passed QA.

It's easy to make a "better game" when you play it safe and aren't as ambitious. It's why after 5 games over 3 generations we still don't have weather and day/night cycles.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Did you play the GT6 demo?

The sound coming from the cars is downright embarrassing. Did they mic up the local air conditioner or something?

I really don't know how that even got passed QA.

You're talking about the Leaf, aren't you? The electric car with zero engine noise and an artificial sound added to it, which was used for half the demo.

It's crazy how many people thought that was bad engine noise. Hilarious, actually. Bwahaha

Vire

You're talking about the Leaf, aren't you? The electric car with zero engine noise and an artificial sound added to it, which was used for half the demo.

It's crazy how many people thought that was bad engine noise. Hilarious, actually. Bwahaha

Not the Leaf, the Nissan 370z.

Sounds terrible compared to Forza's.

Because the best way to promote your game is to show off an electronic car with no engine noise, should have just used a skyline.

Vire

Because the best way to promote your game is to show off an electronic car with no engine noise, should have just used a skyline.

Recipe for success according to Polyphony Digital.

1. First car you play with has no engine noise.

2. Pick the most boring possible tracks.

3. Have hitches/framerate issues.

4. Terrible sense of speed.

Good work guys on the demo.

For the 10000th time. This is called GT Academy 2013 for a reason. Stop calling treating it like a simple demo. When GT Academy 2014 releases after GT6, is that gonna be a GT6 demo too? Or maybe GT7 demo?

And for the record, they used leafs on the real life GT Academy tests too.

Oh, and you really shouldn't be trying to teach PD "recipies for success", their last game only sold 10M+ copies, and the "demo" for that game sold 5M+

koryuken

I've lost interest in the series after playing GT5 prologue... Exercise in boredom.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I always feel like we go round and round and round with the complaints for Forza/GT.

-GT doesn't sound as good. Polyphony says they're working on it, might not be in GT6, but it's an issue that needs to be addressed. "Where's mah sound?" is the new "Where's the damage?" complaint that'll be repeated ad nauseum until it's addressed. And it SHOULD be addressed. Sound in games can transform an experience. See: the Last of Us.

-Forza has a pathetically bad lighting system that is not dynamic and doesn't allow for any night or weather racing. It is literally holding back the series from progressing into features that even Forza 1 had. They try to hide this with garbage god rays and sun-in-ya-face settings that look straight out of the 90s playbook of "hiding your graphics so that people don't notice out of place stuff." Embarrassing for a next gen title.

-GT's UI is bad! Forza has no pit stops! GT is boring! F5 has no community auctions/online features from F4! GT has slowdown! F5 only does 30fps in reflections! And so on.

I think that just about covers everything. :p

Honestly though, if you look past the above complaints...something that's a bit tough to do for us nitpickers...you're getting two amazing driving games this year. Both will have a ton of content and will deliver the experiences we come to expect from both franchises. It's going to be great.

GT's track list is legendary. Best fictional tracks to any driving game. I can drive in Trial mountain all day. Was fun on the ps1. Is fun on the ps3 especially local play.

Recipe for success according to Polyphony Digital.

1. First car you play with has no engine noise.

2. Pick the most boring possible tracks.

3. Have hitches/framerate issues.

4. Terrible sense of speed.

Hate to say it but this was exactly my takeaway, and I was really, really looking forward to this.

The reduced load times are great, but the races were either one-make or time trials with only my car on the field so I don't know how much we can expect from the final game.

Hate to say it but this was exactly my takeaway, and I was really, really looking forward to this.

The reduced load times are great, but the races were either one-make or time trials with only my car on the field so I don't know how much we can expect from the final game.

Bro this ain't really a demo but GT academy demo. Notice how all the cars the nissans ;)

You must of never played a Gt game if you think this is representative of the final game.

Acnologia

Banned
I don't understand the complains, from the demo GT6 is obviously an improvements over GT5 either people are skeptical because of GT5 or they already made their mind that GT6 is not going to be better than GT5.
PD works with real-life racing brands to improve their game i don't know any other developer that do anything close.

I don't understand the complains, from the demo GT6 is obviously an improvements over GT5 either people are skeptical because of GT5 or they already made their mind that GT6 is not going to be better than GT5.
PD works with real-life racing brands to improve their game i don't know any other developer that do anything close.

You might not know it, but pretty much all sim racer developers do.

Bro this ain't really a demo but GT academy demo. Notice how all the cars the nissans ;)

You must of never played a Gt game if you think this is representative of the final game.
I've only played GT5 prologue and GT5 and now this.

It is a demo though, and its referred to as such by every gaming website on the planet. Its a demo, and a bad one at that.

I've only played GT5 prologue and GT5 and now this.

It is a demo though, and its referred to as such by every gaming website on the planet. Its a demo, and a bad one at that.

No. Just like GT Academy 2011 wasn't, GT Academy 2012 wasn't and GT Academy 2014 won't be. You need to be pretty fucking clueless to think they'd release this, over 4 months before the game releases, as a demo...

No. Just like GT Academy 2011 wasn't, GT Academy 2012 wasn't and GT Academy 2014 won't be.
I'm struggling to find any news, articles or PR that doesn't refer to this as a GT6 Demo. Its called a demo on the playstation blogs and GTPlanet and gran-turismo.com and every article I can find.

Top Bottom