• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA IV ENB Thread - Installation, Tweaking & Custom Vehicles

Onemic

Anyone know why Episodes of Liberty City isn't working on my PC?(Still in the process of downloading GTAIV from steam) It keeps telling me I need service pack 1 or higher for Windows Vista even though I have Windows 7.

Sethos

Banned
Anyone know why Episodes of Liberty City isn't working on my PC?(Still in the process of downloading GTAIV from steam) It keeps telling me I need service pack 1 or higher for Windows Vista even though I have Windows 7.

Try setting compatibility for Vista SPx, I know you've got Windows 7 but that has apparently worked for some.

I finally went through the OPs instructions and the game looks amazing! Great job, thanks so much.

Any advise on good texture packs? I am downloading Better City texture and Ultimate Textures now.

And can anybody explain how car sound modding works?
There is an option in vehicle mod installer, but it doesn't seem to do anything? Any good sound packs?

Another curiosity is that my modded cars break way too fast. Why is that?

UrbanRats

I finally went through the OPs instructions and the game looks amazing! Great job, thanks so much.

Any advise on good texture packs? I am downloading Better City texture and Ultimate Textures now.

And can anybody explain how car sound modding works?
There is an option in vehicle mod installer, but it doesn't seem to do anything? Any good sound packs?

Another curiosity is that my modded cars break way too fast. Why is that?
I say use no texture packs.
They always bug out and they don't look that good to begin with, but that's just me.

I say use no texture packs.
They always bug out and they don't look that good to begin with, but that's just me.

Tried Better City Textures now and it looks ok. I can see myself going back to Vanilla.

My GTX680 does indeed go unusually hot with the ENB. 68° is fine, but it is much hotter than even DX11 games.

Also I don't see the point of car modding when it seems to automatically cause the Taxi bug. :(
Using the script is no option, it messes up texture streaming.

I uploaded some little script mods I like to use which some people might like:

http://www11.zippyshare.com/v/68260486/file.html

Set bombs under cars and remote detonate them
Fire Fighters actually respond to fires
KungFu fighting mod (lets you do finishes all the time)
Spawn ladders
Smoke a cigarette
Pull out an umbrella when its raining (need to be holding no guns)

It's the little things that make it more fun :)

Theres heaps more on www.gta4-mods.com

I just bought gtaIV and started all this modding stuff to check it out. I wanna try the ones u posted but I cant find them?

ramine

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure whether to post here or in the other thread. This seems to be the active one.

Has anyone managed to get Icenhancer + ENB + the first person mod to work on the Steam version? I tried and failed. It seems the combination is unstable.

UrbanRats

Not sure whether to post here or in the other thread. This seems to be the active one.

Has anyone managed to get Icenhancer + ENB + the first person mod to work on the Steam version? I tried and failed. It seems the combination is unstable.

Icehnancer IS an ENB.
They work on the steam version if you downgrade it (not that hard to do) but they won't work properly on the 1070 version, nor on the Episodes.

whitehawk

Banned
I'm confused by this part.
Steam users who don't want to downgrade / EFLC users: Skip this downgrade guide. 1.0.7.0 / EFLC compatible files are included in iCEnhancer 2.1
Do I need to downgrade or not?

Sethos

Banned
I'm confused by this part.Do I need to downgrade or not?

As explained, some ENBs ( Ice is ) are compatible with 1.0.7.0 ( Steam version ) BUT they will be missing a lot of features and graphical effects. So it's up to you - Do you want the full monty and make the game as beautiful as possible? Downgrade. Do you just want some basic ENB effects? Don't downgrade.

whitehawk

Banned
As explained, some ENBs ( Ice is ) are compatible with 1.0.7.0 ( Steam version ) BUT they will be missing a lot of features and graphical effects. So it's up to you - Do you want the full monty and make the game as beautiful as possible? Downgrade. Do you just want some basic ENB effects? Don't downgrade.
Ah okay! Downgrade it is!

sunnz

Looking at the ENB screenshot on the gta forums, I really am shocked at just how amazing this really is.

Anyone have any good patch 7 friendly ENBs ?

I'm considering giving Icenhancer a try tomorrow but before I go through with it what kind of framerate should I be expecting?

My specs:
i7 930 @ 3.9GHz
HD 7970 @1125Mhz/1575MHz
8 Gb DDR 3

Vanilla GTA IV fluctuates between 40 - 60 with some wild dips lower in spots.

UrbanRats

I'm considering giving Icenhancer a try tomorrow but before I go through with it what kind of framerate should I be expecting?

My specs:
i7 930 @ 3.9GHz
HD 7970 @1125Mhz/1575MHz
8 Gb DDR 3

Vanilla GTA IV fluctuates between 40 - 60 with some wild dips lower in spots.

Well, it's playable for me and i have a worse PC.
I don't know how well it works with ATIs, though.

Expect something more akin to console framerate, though.

Looking at the ENB screenshot on the gta forums, I really am shocked at just how amazing this really is.

Anyone have any good patch 7 friendly ENBs ?

Alot of those pictures are misleading.

They resize them way smaller so that helps with the AA and picture quality.

And then ingame they might also have the AA cranked up so the frame rate is really bad but you can't tell since they are screenshots.

GHG

Strongly recommend this ENB: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o-ojTM6tCE&feature=player_embedded

1365548119_enb201349212817.jpg

Its the most visually consistent ENB I've used. It looks stunning when used with the texture packs he recommends.

http://www.gta4-mods.com/misc/simple-enb-for-natural-and-realistic-lighting-f20765

Xanathus

Strongly recommend this ENB: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o-ojTM6tCE&feature=player_embedded

Its the most visually consistent ENB I've used. It looks stunning when used with the texture packs he recommends.

http://www.gta4-mods.com/misc/simple-enb-for-natural-and-realistic-lighting-f20765

Just tried that, doesn't look as good as icenhancer 2.1 but seems to have better performance. Still mucking around with it, trying to get better AA.
edit: SweetFX fixes the AA, used this configuration that that ENB creator uploaded
http://www.mediafire.com/?ogxdp6tm6ldn4cc

Well, it's playable for me and i have a worse PC.
I don't know how well it works with ATIs, though.

Expect something more akin to console framerate, though.

Yeah, I guess my concern is with my AMD card. I'm hoping that the 7970 can brute force it, even if AMD cards don't perform as well with icenhancer but I guess the only way to know for sure is to give it a try. I'll back up my vanilla install so I can rollback painless, I guess.

That looks pretty damn good and if it performs better than icenhancer like Xanathus suggested, then I'll give that ENB a try instead.

scitek

Does anyone know where I can find that Liberty City Textures Vol. 1 pack? It's been removed from the site and the torrent is at a standstill.

Yes i agree. I just installed it on my rig and it looks amazing. I didn't have trouble at all using it.
E45AEDAA88A1CD81C4DBE81697AE4414DAAFF2C3

Also pressing shift+f10 turned off AO which gave me a nice performance boost. I'm about to put the HD textures on this and I'll be good!

After messing around with some ENBs I've gone back to Vanilla, I just don't like the inconsistencies. Maybe I'll try this new one though. Good to see some life in this thread.

I've stopped modding GTA because I kept getting the Taxi bug, no matter what I did. :(
Any help would be appreciated, the script in the OP did not help. (Maybe I did something wrong?)

Performance wise I think this game performs much better on Nvidia? I went from an overclocked 7850 to a 680 and the difference is huuge. Very high shadows were impossible on my old GPU and the 680 eats it up while downsampling and putting all sliders on max. Of course I am not getting 60fps, but who does?

After messing around with some ENBs I've gone back to Vanilla, I just don't like the inconsistencies. Maybe I'll try this new one though. Good to see some life in this thread.

I've stopped modding GTA because I kept getting the Taxi bug, no matter what I did. :(
Any help would be appreciated, the script in the OP did not help. (Maybe I did something wrong?)

Performance wise I think this game performs much better on Nvidia? I went from an overclocked 7850 to a 680 and the difference is huuge. Very high shadows were impossible on my old GPU and the 680 eats it up while downsampling and putting all sliders on max. Of course I am not getting 60fps, but who does?

That seems to be the case but the difference in power between a GTX 680 and a HD 7850 is already huge.

aranth

Great OP, but you forgot the arguments -nomemrestrict -norestrictions in the exe for users with more than 2GB Vram (Rockstar decided that more than 2Gb at the time was impossible to conceive and the game doesn't allow you to increase graphic options till you add these arguments).

plainr_

Let me know if it doesn't work, it is extremely fidgety and sometimes requires different scripthooks. I can upload a RAR with all my files working for me.

It works but after a minute or so, the camera goes into some drunken mode. lol. No way to reverse it but to quit game and go back.

Also, I had to use GTAIVScriptHoot_0.4.0_Redist.zip to get this to work. The version of scripthook listed on the mod page crashes my game on startup.

Sethos

Banned
It works but after a minute or so, the camera goes into some drunken mode. lol. No way to reverse it but to quit game and go back.

Also, I had to use GTAIVScriptHoot_0.4.0_Redist.zip to get this to work. The version of scripthook listed on the mod page crashes my game on startup.

Are you using LaunchGTA.exe? You've triggered the anti-piracy because of the mods, usually only happens when you use the wrong .exe

Dmax3901

So I have a 1gb 6950 and I'm struggling to get steady performance out of this. Am I screwed or is there something I can change to increase performance? Do the in-game settings change much?

sunnz

Alot of those pictures are misleading.

They resize them way smaller so that helps with the AA and picture quality.

And then ingame they might also have the AA cranked up so the frame rate is really bad but you can't tell since they are screenshots.

You have a point, but videos like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBw0R1AUU64

and many others show what is possible. Sure the FPS kinda sucks and a bit too much blur but still pretty damn epic and one of the better looking games out.

I wish the benchmark in he settings was more representative of the game. I get a locked 60 fps during that demo (vanilla). That is not the case for the actual game.

So I have a 1gb 6950 and I'm struggling to get steady performance out of this. Am I screwed or is there something I can change to increase performance? Do the in-game settings change much?

I think you're screwed unless you have an Nvidia card. ENB doesn't run well with AMD in my experience.

Are the texture mods and vehicle mods worthwhile if you do not use ENB? I have lots of video memory to spare here. Also, multiplayer, I have a friend that just recently said he wanted to screw around in MP, rolling back to 1.0.4.0 has to make that impossible right?

Top Bottom