• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA IV ENB Thread - Installation, Tweaking & Custom Vehicles

Lettuce

Remember to close recording software, MSI Afterburner and anything that could inject itself into the game.

Got it working now, just uninstalled Afterburner.

What settings should i be looking at for, View/detail distance and Vehicle/Shadow density in the graphics options? Do these have a big impact on frame rate (i have a 7950 3GB)

Under the [Engine} tab in iceconfig.ini should i change the Displaywidth and Displayheight to my desktop res or leave as 1280x720?

What other mods should i consider to go along with this enb, i know that Lord Neophyte's HD textures is supposed to be the best but it that for the whole game or has he only redone textures for certain areas??...also i cannot find a decent download for his pack everyone seems to be slow as.

Is there a good all in one car pack that is easy to install...i try this back last year but got the duplicate car bug happening like whole screen full of yellow taxis. I was wonder if there was a mod that replaced the default cars for like for like custom models, as the default cars are based of real life cas so would be good to replace this default knock-off for the proper thing

thanks for any suggestions

Sethos

Banned
Got it working now, just uninstalled Afterburner.

What settings should i be looking at for, View/detail distance and Vehicle/Shadow density in the graphics options? Do these have a big impact on frame rate (i have a 7950 3GB)

First off, don't expect stellar performance as AMD cards in general seem to be slightly iffy with GTA IV, gets even worse with ENBs. However I'd keep vehicle density low-ish. I'm at 25, as lots of cars tend to take a CPU hit and around 25 seems like a nice density. View distance / detail distance I've cranked to 100 but play around with them as I haven't really done any performance tests.

Shadow density, keep that at 10. I believe it's how many shadows it renders at night for an example, how many light sources as well like streetlamps. Beyond 10 it doesn't seem to have any visible effect.

Under the [Engine} tab in iceconfig.ini should i change the Displaywidth and Displayheight to my desktop res or leave as 1280x720?

Just leave it. That option is only used when enabling ForceAntialiasing - Then you need to specify your resolution and then the upscaling option is how many times you want to upscale it, 1.0 beyond double etc.

What other mods should i consider to go along with this enb, i know that Lord Neophyte's HD textures is supposed to be the best but it that for the whole game or has he only redone textures for certain areas??...also i cannot find a decent download for his pack everyone seems to be slow as.

Neophyte's pack I only started using recently myself, first time he's done a complete pack of all his work. Probably the only texture pack available that changes textures rather than saturate or turn down gamma / brightness on top / apply a sharpen filter. I downloaded it from the 'official' links and yes, it is quite slow.

As for other mods, I'm really only using the first person perspective mod linked in OP and then a bunch of custom cars. You can always check out http://www.gta4-mods.com/ for ideas.

Is there a good all in one car pack that is easy to install...i try this back last year but got the duplicate car bug happening like whole screen full of yellow taxis. I was wonder if there was a mod that replaced the default cars for like for like custom models, as the default cars are based of real life cas so would be good to replace this default knock-off for the proper thing

Plenty at gta4-mods, look under vehicles and sort after amount of downloads, the packs are at the top. However I wouldn't classify any of them as good. Lots of low-quality cars and rubbish replacements in my opinion. Plus, they also trigger the taxi bug so might as well replace some cars manually and play around. However no pack or nothing you can do will avoid the taxi bug, unless the custom models are the same size as the vanilla cars in terms of megabytes and at that point, the custom cars are so low quality you might as well stick to vanilla.

Lettuce

Neophyte's pack I only started using recently myself, first time he's done a complete pack of all his work. Probably the only texture pack available that changes textures rather than saturate or turn down gamma / brightness on top / apply a sharpen filter. I downloaded it from the 'official' links and yes, it is quite slow.

Has he released a pack now that re-textures the whole world now or still just a small area?

Thorgal

Just did a re install and i want to try out another Enb .

should i just take the Xlive folders and then install the ENB of my choosing?

Lettuce

I'm using iCEnhancer 2.1 enb and am noticing the night sections are just too damn dark is there a way I can make the nights lighter?

Exactly what I was searching for.

458.gif

Omega

Banned
I think I did something wrong when I installed the ENB because there's this really annoying film grain. makes it hard to really see anything, especially at night

anyway to fix this?

Sethos

Banned
I think I did something wrong when I installed the ENB because there's this really annoying film grain. makes it hard to really see anything, especially at night

anyway to fix this?

Try looking in the configuration tool, should be possible to turn off the grain on one of the last tabs I believe. That said, it shouldn't be that excessive.

Ryu1999

So I installed one of the multi-car packs, but now the only cars on the road are either taxis, cop cars, or BMW 5 series. Anybody have any tips on fixing this?

Thorgal

So I installed one of the multi-car packs, but now the only cars on the road are either taxis, cop cars, or BMW 5 series. Anybody have any tips on fixing this?

From the OT :

I installed some custom cars / a car pack, there's taxis everywhere!

It's a common issue well known to the community. It happens when you use excess memory with custom cars, then the game starts loading the top default model instead; The taxi. There's two ways of fixing it, either you only install size limited models of custom cars, some creators make small models that adhere to vanilla vehicle standards or you could download a traffic fix like http://www.gta4-mods.com/script/trafficload-f9780 ( See requirements on the left side! ).

However the traffic fixes can introduce new issues due to the game's poor memory handling, you'll see textures going missing, load very slowly, memory crashes and basically the game will just slowly conk out no matter how powerful your PC is or how many terabytes of RAM you have.

generally It is recommended to only install 1-3 cars you like and leave it at that otherwise you run into the taxi bug .

and as said above The fix he links to might work .but may just as easily make it worse .

ScRYeD

anyway to fix this?
There are 4 files that could contain film grain parameters.

Sweetfx_settings.txt - open it check to see if you have film grain enabled (#define USE_FILMGRAIN 1) change setting to 0 if it is.

enbeffect.fx - open with a text editor of your choice. Look for the line #define FILM_GRAIN and add // in front of it.

Effect.txt - #define ESTATICNOISE or #define EDYNAMICNOISE add // in front if they dont. Probably not this one try sweetfx and enbeffect before the others.

Enbeffectprepass.fx - dont worry about this one because it is probably not this one.

Ryu1999

From the OT :

generally It is recommended to only install 1-3 cars you like and leave it at that otherwise you run into the taxi bug .

and as said above The fix he links to might work .but may just as easily make it worse .

I wasn't sure that was the problem since I thought it meant there were ONLY taxis on the road, which is not the case.

I guess I'll try the taxi fix and see if it changes anything.

Thanks!

I encountered this god-awful plague of a glitch with so many HD car packs. It turns out the source is memory pool related in that if you load too many models and textures above a certain size, depending on your RAM available, it'll happen.

I did find a fix for this THIS WEEK (finally) though, I'd be glad to share my finding with all:

Thank this guy: Jotov_24 for these 3 mods:

The trick? Here's his description:
The humble purpose is to HELP with the 'disappear textures' problem when using ikt's TRAFFIC LOAD (The best taxi bug fix currently out there).
http://www.gta4-mods.com/script/trafficload-f9780

So, it's a pack thought for low/mid-end pc's and is a compiling of the best (quality/filesize) 'balanced' cars. Just about 50 cars replaced, and all are low/mid poly filesize. (2 mb WFT or less, the majority of them, just a few a little over 3 mb.).
If your system's got memory problems when using some mods simultaneously, IMHO this small car pack could help better than if you got all cars replaced. I'm just looking for equilibrium, not 'maximum quality'. And maybe your system could take a breath if it can load in memory some default cars sometimes.

* Reality, quality, variety and gameplay.
* All 4-door replaces 4-door, and etc.
* All cars look good with a good ENB (i think so).
* Famous Killatomate's 'Realistic driving & flying' included for all bikes and some other cars i didn't replace.
* Cargrp.dat & vehicles.ide tweaked for realistic traffic. (Supercars are rare).
* Real names of each car (5 languages).
* Bonnet & Trunk cameras tweaked.
* Tested on 1.0.4.0 version. Also another folder includes files for 1.0.7.0.
* Extra: Lambo sound for coquette.
* To be done: add EPM support, new cars, etc.

If this works for you, you can increase the number of cars till you find your performance equilibrium.

Someone OP this glorious find, lol.

sunnz

does ENB work with the steam version of GTAIV episodes from liberty city? Does it work with the steam version of GTAIV?

Yes, all you need to do is downgrade the steam version to the right patch. It is possible, but a little more difficult than doing it with a retail copy.

EFLC does have its own ENB's, but not as good as the top end ones, since they require patch 1.4.

Things were going well and I've been able to take some awesome screenshots for the PC high-res shots thread, but yesterday I started getting disappearing textures after 10-15 mins of playing. This also causes missions to stop loading.

After trying everything, including a RamDisk, it seems that the real issue is car models. That wasn't surprising because I replaced every single car with a HQ model.

I installed a much lighter car pack which only replaces about half the cars - no texture issues. Now I'm adding models for cars that were not replaced and upgrading models for some cars that weren't the best quality, one by one, and loading the game to see what happens.

Crazy. I'm on a 2600k @ 4.0, 8GBs RAM, and a 780 overclocked. There should be no issues. I wish Rockstar would somehow implement all these texture packs and car packs and re-release the game for like $20. I'd pay to have this optimized and working without any problems at all. This game looks better than some PS4/XB1 titles with the highest Icehancer and in-game settings.

Bumping to ask a technical question.

Is it possible to enable vsync without causing ridiculously long load times? Or is it essentially a pick your poison thing?

Top Bottom