• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA IV ENB Thread - Installation, Tweaking & Custom Vehicles

sunnz

Are the texture mods and vehicle mods worthwhile if you do not use ENB? I have lots of video memory to spare here. Also, multiplayer, I have a friend that just recently said he wanted to screw around in MP, rolling back to 1.0.4.0 has to make that impossible right?

1.4= no MP. Have to be on the latest patch for that.

If you plan on playing online then best to keep the game vanilla, so no mods except from maybe the trainer.

Simply because it can crash the game if you have one vehicle but others don't, plus the different car physics could make it unfair ( if you race).

1.4= no MP. Have to be on the latest patch for that.

If you plan on playing online then best to keep the game vanilla, so no mods except from maybe the trainer.

Simply because it can crash the game if you have one vehicle but others don't, plus the different car physics could make it unfair ( if you race).

Yeah that's what I thought thanks.

I feel like, if I could just remove the color grade filter or whatever that blurs the overall image, I'd be happy. Don't necessarily need all the other bells and whistles.

plainr_

Is replacing all the vehicles in the game a bad idea? I want every car to be real. Toyota's, Honda's, Chevy's, etc...

sunnz

Is replacing all the vehicles in the game a bad idea? I want every car to be real. Toyota's, Honda's, Chevy's, etc...

The bad points:

When you replace like around a half or like 10 to 15 vehicles you will most likely run into that bug were only the taxi spawns as traffic and no other car. This is due to how the game handles memory or something. There are "fixes" for this but most don't work. Best way to deal with this is to make sure you install cars that are very small in size.

The change of physics from these added cars could potentially ruin some of the missions. Like I added a Subaru into the game and in one of the missions I had to chase this guy, because the subaru I added was light and got damaged easily it would blow up before getting to the finale part so the mission failed most of the time ( got lucky eventually as the AI didn't blow the car up)

I'm not sure about FPS or performance problems, I added like over 35 custom vehicles and didn't see much of a degrade in FPS so that was fine for me.

Playing online is not recommended obviously as you will crash the game sometimes ( plus unfair advantage)

If you do this, make sure to start a new game ( if you replace a car you have in the car park in game, then you will crash the game)

plainr_

Thanks for the heads up. You're right about taxi bug. It was literally a taxi parade lol. I had to undo some of the car mods and I did apply a fix I found somewhere. Seems to work so far.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
I recently did some mods and decided to change only a few things but it made the game so much better. More screens here. http://gizmowned.minus.com/mbvWaDcBpW6VYu

Usually get around 80-90fps at 1920x1080. I can do a 10 minute video if you guys want to see anything else. The face textures I created myself.

1. ENB - CryNext by Fabriciuz
  2. HD Texture Pack - Roads, Pedestrians, Grass, Basically Everything
  3. Trainer (Change Face Textures Realtime)
  4. Black Helmet
  5. Bare Hands, Gloves, Fingerless Gloves
  6. Realistic Blood Pack
  7. Realistic Vehicle Handling
  8. CS:GO Gun Audio Pack
  9. 12 Custom Niko Face Textures
  10. 6 Custom Hair Designs
  11. Alive City - Adjusts Pedestrians times and includes more.
  12. No Grain on Vehicles
ibbsiJI5v2wZCN.png
ibnLyrMjA3s1WW.png

idK6w9ptu30vj.png
ipfxbtQfhJ5W0.png

iWS8cDFcGWHxb.png
iTCD4ya14Ekz2.png

iz9PUJiEtiO0T.png
iba5uByPzw6WUs.png

Me and my buddy are redownloading this to play some free roam online again. We both own the steam copy are there any good mods that make free roam multiplayer more fun?

Kukuk

Banned
EDIT: Never mind, I'm an idiot. Thought the game patched automatically when it installed. God knows it took long enough....

Tow

Neo Member
This looks incredible. I've just got the hang of modding with Skyrim, I'm definitely going to give this ago.

I have a couple mods installed and my textures start to disappear after about an hour of game play. Only thing that seems to fix it is restarting the game. I've tried the various commandline.txt and -memrestrict fixes but it still happens. The only texture related mod I have is Liberty City HD Textures Volume 1 and with or without it, it still happens.

Anyone have a definitive fix?

ScRYeD

I've DLed these, all a bunch of .img files, how do I install this?

All the files except gtxd.img go into your
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Grand Theft Auto IV\GTAIV\pc\data\maps\manhat

gtxd.img goes into
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Grand Theft Auto IV\GTAIV\pc\data\cdimages

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Grand Theft Auto IV\GTAIV\pc\data\maps\manhat

gtxd.img goes into
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Grand Theft Auto IV\GTAIV\pc\data\cdimages

Thanks got it.Gta 4 Looks absolutely amazing with that Texture pack and the Realistic and Natural ENB Posted Above. The SSAO Really adds that extra bit of depth to the scenes... amazing.

gtxd.img goes into

I did that as I installed texture packs before. I noticed part 2 of the volume has one file that is 0KB and 5 redundant img files.

I_D

I just got GTA 4 and EFLC from a Steam Sale, but I'm only really interested in the expansions.

Does this work on those?

ScRYeD

I did that as I installed texture packs before. I noticed part 2 of the volume has one file that is 0KB and 5 redundant img files.
I dont anything about that one. Just dont intall it and it should be fine.

Side note: if ENB doesnt work on your game like mine you can always look for custom time cycles like realityIV 1.62 to make your game look better than stock.
I just got GTA 4 and EFLC from a Steam Sale, but I'm only really interested in the expansions.

Does this work on those?

Icenhancer doesnt really work well but there are a few enb that do to a certain extent. Look up enb's that are compatible with the expansions.

Downsampling+realityIV makes the game look great, not as good as ENB though.

goonergaz

Just wanted to say thanks to OP for such a clear and easy guide, got GTA IV in the sale and this worked first time! Only had the no text issue and again the guide fixed that first time. Finally got to play, was a bit of a slide show but using the guide (again) I tweaked and now have it nice and smooth on my Q6600 + GTX460 so again, I thank the OP for doing such a great job :)

Can't believe how ugly the vanilla game is (using shift f12 to switch)...what a great mod!

I reinstalled GTA 4 on a new pc. Without even playing I installed all of the mods like icenhancer, simple trainer and xliveless, now I cant launch the game through LaunchGTA4.exe nor the other one or steam. Yeah I downgraded to 1004

I can start the game by removing xlive.dll, but then it crashes after the load screen. The hell did I do wrong?

edit: YouEnjoyMySelf, I installed the game again, it worked now. I guess it didnt work previously because I didnt play GTA4 first like the tutorial says.

Do you have more than one of those xliveless style programs installed? I know some mods come with a .dll with different names that shuts off xbox live and I was having conflicts having more than xliveless in my directory.

jWILL253

Banned
I just got a new HP Envy h8-1534 with Radeon 7570, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1TB HDD & AMD FX-6200 Six-Core Processor. I'm new to the PC gaming front, but I thought that with these specs, GTA IV should be able to run with all settings on High, with a decent framerate, considering how this is a computer that came out this year, and the game came out in 2008.

But when I run the settings on High, I never get over 19 FPS. When I used the Auto settings, it was a little more stable framerate-wise, but it still suffered slowdown during foggy weather and nighttime settings. I know that GTA IV for PC is a shitty port, but I shouldn't be having the issues I'm having. I even tried the "nomemrestrict" trick, and all it did was crash my game.

Any help I can get on this?

I just got a new HP Envy h8-1534 with Radeon 7570, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1TB HDD & AMD FX-6200 Six-Core Processor. I'm new to the PC gaming front, but I thought that with these specs, GTA IV should be able to run with all settings on High, with a decent framerate, considering how this is a computer that came out this year, and the game came out in 2008.

But when I run the settings on High, I never get over 19 FPS. When I used the Auto settings, it was a little more stable framerate-wise, but it still suffered slowdown during foggy weather and nighttime settings. I know that GTA IV for PC is a shitty port, but I shouldn't be having the issues I'm having. I even tried the "nomemrestrict" trick, and all it did was crash my game.

You don't know the half of it

ENB is to much of a performance hit for me. 20 to 40fps is a strain on the eyes. Without ENB 40 to 60fps @3840x2160. Much better

3570k @4.5ghz
16g ram
gtx690

Try this ENB
Strongly recommend this ENB: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o-ojTM6tCE&feature=player_embedded

1365548119_enb201349212817.jpg

Its the most visually consistent ENB I've used. It looks stunning when used with the texture packs he recommends.

http://www.gta4-mods.com/misc/simple-enb-for-natural-and-realistic-lighting-f20765

I've got a pc with upgrades to the AM2+ motherboard from 2006:
AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition
4GB Ram
GTX560(nonTi)

and it runs anamzing and looks great.

If you FPS still get you down, turn off your texture pack and half the max view/detail distances and car density.

ScRYeD

Try this ENB

I've got a pc with upgrades to the AM2+ motherboard from 2006:
AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition
4GB Ram
GTX560(nonTi)

and it runs anamzing and looks great.

If you FPS still get you down, turn off your texture pack and half the max view/detail distances and car density.

Thats the one i used. When i reinstalled GTA that enb was running great everything was fine even the street lights didn't go out when i was approaching them, then i installed a car mod wrong and had to re do the ENB stuff and now it runs like crap. so i'm sticking with no ENB so i can use the ingame video editor to get better pics like this.

ibOKISbsEvhxi.png

Omega

Banned
This thread is kind of dead but hopefully someone can help me with a few things.

1. I know GTA IV is supposed to be a shitty port and from the little research I've done, I notice people saying that with mods they drop to 20 FPS. Without mods, I've been getting 55-60 FPS, should I bother modding?

2. If I do, should I go with the ENB provided in the OP? On this page a different one is being recommended

Sethos

Banned
This thread is kind of dead but hopefully someone can help me with a few things.

1. I know GTA IV is supposed to be a shitty port and from the little research I've done, I notice people saying that with mods they drop to 20 FPS. Without mods, I've been getting 55-60 FPS, should I bother modding?

2. If I do, should I go with the ENB provided in the OP? On this page a different one is being recommended

The ENB I'm linking in the OP is the 'go-to' ENB for most people and is probably the most popular ENB because it got a lot of public attention. The latest 2.1 version is extremely easy on performance as well - One of the few 1.0.4.0 ENBs I can play at 60FPS.

So I'd definitely recommend that. However on a general note, ENBs is an individual taste. There's an ENB for every taste out there and it's just a matter of finding one for you.

On another note; Anyone looking into texture mods, an all-in-one pack of a guys texture rework was released not long ago. It's clocking in at 6GB http://www.gta4-mods.com/misc/hd-texturen-all-in-one-f22753

Also, iCEnhancer 2.5 should be out ... 'soon' it's currently in Beta 6 which is the final beta. However he's working at a snail's pace but we're getting closer.

Very late replay on this, but you HAVE to turn down the shadows if you are on AMD. Very high shadows are not possible on AMD cards unfortunately.

Lettuce

Just done a fresh install of GTA4 (GFW version), it updated to 1.0.7.0, so i used the downgrader to 1.0.4.0 and then copied Icenhancer ENB over to my GTA4 directory, but now when i load the game it gets to the copyright screen and crashes any ideas why this happens?

Sethos

Banned
Just done a fresh install of GTA4 (GFW version), it updated to 1.0.7.0, so i used the downgrader to 1.0.4.0 and then copied Icenhancer ENB over to my GTA4 directory, but now when i load the game it gets to the copyright screen and crashes any ideas why this happens?

Remember to close recording software, MSI Afterburner and anything that could inject itself into the game.

Lettuce

Yeah i did have MSI Afterbruner running, i closed it down but it still didnt work. I got it to work by removing the d3d9.dll file from the GTA4 folder!!....but im not sure if that would have any ill effects on ENB?? I have noticed that is doesnt say ENB version in the corner when loading the game, should it say end version somewhere if working correctly??

Sethos

Banned
Yeah i did have MSI Afterbruner running, i closed it down but it still didnt work. I got it to work by removing the d3d9.dll file from the GTA4 folder!!....but im not sure if that would have any ill effects on ENB?? I have noticed that is doesnt say ENB version in the corner when loading the game, should it say end version somewhere if working correctly??

The d39.dll IS the ENB, the entire injector .dll

Zoolader

Just drag and drop, the folder structure within the RAR is identical to the GTA folder.

I̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶m̶o̶d̶ ̶r̶e̶c̶o̶m̶m̶e̶n̶d̶e̶d̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶a̶ ̶p̶r̶i̶m̶a̶r̶y̶ ̶t̶e̶x̶t̶u̶r̶e̶ ̶r̶e̶p̶l̶a̶c̶e̶m̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶p̶a̶c̶k̶? I'm having trouble finding cream of the crop texture packs, unfortunately it's not as easy finding top rated good mods like it is with Nexus or Steamworks that I use to mod Skyrim.

Edit: It seems you recommended that mod in a post of yours above on this page, so thanks I'm downloading it now. I'll use that as a starting point, then I'll download billboards, signs, foliage, car, and people textures. I'll post results and links to the mods later if all goes well.

Zoolader

You mean the backup i made of the GTA4 folder before i applied the 1.0.4.0 update and ENB??....wont that override the 1.0.4.0 update and some ENB settings?

No I mean this part, it gets overlooked.

"- Then you look into the .zip archive again and open "Install this if fresh install" Drag that content of that folder into your root folder as well ( Xlive.dll / xlive_d.dll ). This disables GFWL in-game which is required for ENB to work correctly, as GFWL blocks the .dll

iJTMM36jy17ei.png

Bottom image

If that isn't it, I suggest starting over and downgrading your game version again. Read everything in the tutorial over again carefully. I screwed up myself 2 times during the process and got it right the third try.

Lettuce

No I mean this part, it gets overlooked.

"- Then you look into the .zip archive again and open "Install this if fresh install" Drag that content of that folder into your root folder as well ( Xlive.dll / xlive_d.dll ). This disables GFWL in-game which is required for ENB to work correctly, as GFWL blocks the .dll

iJTMM36jy17ei.png

Bottom image

If that isn't it, I suggest starting over and downgrading your game version again. Read everything in the tutorial over again carefully. I screwed up myself 2 times during the process and got it right the third try.

Oh right, yeah i copied over the xlive.ddl and xlive_d.dll already. I had perviously deleted my install and reinstalled the whole game again but still got the same problem.

Is there a list of known programs that conflict with ENB then?? Maybe just closing MSI Afterburner from the task bar isnt enough, maybe there still some services running??...or though i have looked in the processes tab and cant see anything relating to AfterBurner

Zoolader

Ya sometimes other programs can be issues, I'm really not too knowledgeable. I had a lot or trouble with this as well and wanted to try to help out. But how about when you downgraded versions, did you use the installer or just extract the files?

SHarris78

Just been following the info in the OP, but have got stuck.

I downloaded the patch (down-patching to 1.0.4.0.), rockstar social group tool, installed them and changed the folder name back to GTAIV.

I tried to play the game to ensure it still worked (which it did), but GFWL tells you to update the game else you won't be able to save. I've basically gone back to where I was with the newest patch installed. Do you have to decline the update but never be able to save again?

Lettuce

Ya sometimes other programs can be issues, I'm really not too knowledgeable. I had a lot or trouble with this as well and wanted to try to help out. But how about when you downgraded versions, did you use the installer or just extract the files?

Just extracted the files, is there an installer then?

Thorgal

Just been following the info in the OP, but have got stuck.

I downloaded the patch (down-patching to 1.0.4.0.), rockstar social group tool, installed them and changed the folder name back to GTAIV.

I tried to play the game to ensure it still worked (which it did), but GFWL tells you to update the game else you won't be able to save. I've basically gone back to where I was with the newest patch installed. Do you have to decline the update but never be able to save again?

from the OT:

Let's install it

Now here's where you have to pay attention - This operation will require skill, intellect and lots of patience ( Not really ). Open iCEnhancer 2_1FINAL.zip with your favourite software ( WinRAR, 7zip etc. )

- Drag all the content of the archive from the 1.0.3.0 - 1.0.4.0 - 1.0.0.4 -> iCenhancer 2.1 files folder into your prepared GTA IV folder and accept any folder merging / file replacing.

- Then you look into the .zip archive again and open "Install this if fresh install" Drag that content of that folder into your root folder as well ( Xlive.dll / xlive_d.dll ). This disables GFWL in-game which is required for ENB to work correctly, as GFWL blocks the .dll

Top Bottom