• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA Online PS4/XB1 |OT| Just ignore the bodies (and look forward to heists)

waypoetic

Banned
Just sold my PS3 and a shit load of games, so now i really need to get GTA 5 on my PS4 - but what's this about the online being fucked?

Just sold my PS3 and a shit load of games, so now i really need to get GTA 5 on my PS4 - but what's this about the online being fucked?

I have no idea. It's flawless for me (apart from those long-ass loading screens). I'm regularly put into lobbies with 20+ players, I don't get disconnected or timed out anymore, and I never experience any lag.

The second patch really improved the online for me.

waypoetic

Banned
Allright allright, 'cus i've been reading on and off that the online is super janky as of now. Ted, my man, impressions?

Portugeezer

GTA Online takes so fucking long to load/connect to anything on PS4. I saw some stream of dude playing XB1 version and it loaded things a lot quicker, it makes playing GTA Online more of a pain that it should be, if you want to join someones game from your phone then it takes about 30 seconds just to load in if you do load in, if not another 1 minute of waiting to go back to free roam.

GTA Online takes so fucking long to load/connect to anything on PS4. I saw some stream of dude playing XB1 version and it loaded things a lot quicker, it makes playing GTA Online more of a pain that it should be, if you want to join someones game from your phone then it takes about 30 seconds just to load in if you do load in, if not another 1 minute of waiting to go back to free roam.

I've found that it's so random. Sometimes it will load an online free-roam lobby in around 20 seconds, then other times it will take 40 seconds plus.

In regards to the bolded, do you mean joining someone's mission/race/deathmatch lobby? Or someone's free-roam session? Bceuase if you mean the former, then I've never had to wait that long. People's lobbies load around 5 seconds after searching for a session for me.

Mistel

Banned
I was playing a little yesterday and finally took the time to photograph my newest favourite toy:
mNZ-DB4YOkulg1nDa6uRLQ_0_0.jpg

And it makes such a good noise.
I'm surprised you didn't get a coquette it's cheaper and nicer looking that the carbonizzare.

Grinchy

Banned

The last time I played, it was actually quite improved. I've complained a lot about this game's online, but I will admit it was working well for me that time.

The loading times are just ridiculous, though. The game just really gets hung up when connecting to servers or something.

Tawpgun

Cross posting, I think this is an issue

I'm disappointed they added more variations to aiming modes because it splits the userbase too thin in GTA Online.

I personally think Online should be Free aim (maybe assisted free aim but I can't tell the difference) but unfortunately people would whine.

When you choose free aim or auto aim in campaign thats the setting you get in Online, so it only matches you up with those people. This means if you have it set for free aim you will NEVER get matched up with an entire pool of players that stick to auto aim.

It was annoying enough on the 360 with 3 aiming modes to choose from. But not it seems like there are like 6. And the player base is much smaller on next gen then it was on last gen.

:(

I just want to be able to consistently get 30 player lobbies.

Tawpgun, I'm with you. I have no idea why they set GTA Online to auto-aim. It ... just makes no sense. It was this way in GTAIV as well and it just sucked. Every game mode is basically an exercise of clicking LT/L2 until your gun locks on. As someone else described, it's like playing a game of whack-a-mole. It also makes guns like handguns more effective than guns like shotguns, because it's all about how far away you have to be to get a lock on and handguns have a further range than a shot gun.

I suppose that many people might want auto-aim against NPCs, but if that's the case Rockstar needs to come up with a solution for that. Having every mode default to autoaim and splitting up the userbase just sucks.

Also, is the method of changing your controls still the same? Do you need to go into Single Player, set your controls, and then switch back and go into multiplayer? That's how it was last generation and it was so annoying.

Tawpgun

Tawpgun, I'm with you. I have no idea why they set GTA Online to auto-aim. It ... just makes no sense. It was this way in GTAIV as well and it just sucked. Every game mode is basically an exercise of clicking LT/L2 until your gun locks on. As someone else described, it's like playing a game of whack-a-mole. It also makes guns like handguns more effective than guns like shotguns, because it's all about how far away you have to be to get a lock on and handguns have a further range than a shot gun.

I suppose that many people might want auto-aim against NPCs, but if that's the case Rockstar needs to come up with a solution for that. Having every mode default to autoaim and splitting up the userbase just sucks.

Also, is the method of changing your controls still the same? Do you need to go into Single Player, set your controls, and then switch back and go into multiplayer? That's how it was last generation and it was so annoying.
As far as I know that is how you change aiming modes.

My ideal scenario: Free aim everywhere, adapt scrubs.

More realistic?

Free mode lobbies should be free aim. It's bullshit someone can just lock on to me and mow me down as I careen down a street at 200 mph. People are just TOO lethal in auto aim.

I love killing people in free mode but its gotta be in free aim so you don't feel bullshitted. The people who don't want to randomly get killed can still escape. The people who do want to randomly kill need to put a little effort into it.

The best way to handle aiming modes is for free mode to be free aim, and when you go into a job the host will decide what kind of aiming to implement. It will be auto aim on NPC's by default, because (unfortunately) that's the way the game was designed. NPC spawns in missions are full of bullshit but auto aim helps alleviate that.

But if you wanna play with a real mans aiming mode the host can switch to free aim for NPC's and you get a SIGNIFICANT RP and cash bonus for completing a job on free aim.

Ted

Allright allright, 'cus i've been reading on and off that the online is super janky as of now. Ted, my man, impressions?

OK, I'm super biased so obviously I'm loving it but that's not to say there aren't issues.

Broadly speaking, for returning players, I think it is fair to say:

- If you are a returning player who enjoyed it before (and aren't burnt out) and are expecting largely the same game with prettier graphics you will enjoy it again;
- If you are a returning player who enjoyed it before but feel you have played through everything you wanted to on the last gen and need new content to keep you interested you're probably better off waiting to see what the R* have planned moving forward;
- If you are a returning player who didn't enjoy it before you probably won't enjoy it still as the changes are not substantive enough to really fundamentally change the game.

Of course in the above I am comparing the new version to the current, patched previous gen GTAO and not GTAO as it released initially. The patches through the last year added so much new content (cars/weapons/missions/content creator etc.) and so many tweaks to payout structures that really last gen GTAO at the point where new gen GTAO was released was already a substantially different game to how it started out on release in 2013.

Now obviously I know you played before so the question is, were you still having fun on last gen? If so, get it, if not, wait and see.

I want all of the old GAF crew to upgrade so we can play together again on the prettier version so to you I'd plainly say BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT but that would be for entirely selfish reasons. :)

Below are a few of my impressions in more detail:

Graphics
Definitely substantially improved all round but I tend to notice this more out of the city where the additional foliage stops relatively empty areas feeling so barren with just a flat textured ground.

Performance
It still doesn't hold a steady 30fps and there is still a little pop-in but both issues have been improved enough so that it is rarely distracting.

Online connectivity is better but loading times can still be longer than they should be and at this early juncture there are still some limited stability issues. The improvement in last gen were slow but steady in regards to this so I'm going to hold off making a judgement until we are further out from launch.

Controls
The controls are still GTA. It's no Max Payne in TPV and no Destiny in FPV but the controls do the job they need to do for the most part. Free-aim feels a little different but I think that is my preference to a looser PS3 style stick tension rather than anything inherent in the game itself.

New content
First person view is good fun and when you change the control scheme layout to better fit the new view (L3 for run basically) it feels pretty good. It's not perfect but it's not broken in anyway either (except seemingly not being able to quick use snacks to replenish health whilst in cover - you leave cover and get the full animation).

30 player lobbies are cool and feel a little busier but the basic premise of free-roam remains the same.

New 30 player races/30 player death matches/16 player parachuting, all of this is fine in theory but I've not yet been in a chock-full lobby for any of them so can't comment on how much the additional player count really changes the game play.

There's no new co-op missions which is pretty disappointing.

New vehicles are limited to the Blista, the Marshall monster truck and the Dodo. They're all pretty good fun but none are either game changing or really massively different to existing content. The best change when it comes to vehicles is the increased diversity of cars on the street and the mild enhancement of traffic density. Oh and Merryweather choppers seem to land more consistently (though still not always!!!).

Phone calls coming through the speaker on the DS4 is a nice little touch as is the light bar flashing blue/red when you are being chased by the police.

Content creator has upped the limit for objects placed and of course you can increase the player count as well.

Revised passive mode is an improvement but still appears to have a few bugs but I need people to help me verify these.

I'm surprised you didn't get a coquette it's cheaper and nicer looking that the carbonizzare.

I had one for a while on the last gen version and though I quite liked it and may get another one day, I didn't like it enough for it to carve a permanent place in my garages. Whether the Carbonizzare does or not is yet to be seen!

Yes this hasn't changed and is still a PITA. Removing the loading back to SP part of the process would be great. The two communities are always going to be separated for parity reasons so when you change the aim mode in the options it's always going to have to load you into a new session so there is always going to be some kind of loading/connection time required but doubling it by forcing players back to SP is daft!

I just want to be able to consistently get 30 player lobbies.

Free roam sessions in free-aim seem to be pretty well populated at the moment and I am regularly getting into lobbies with 20+ players on both aim modes. Jobs, death matches and races are a different matter but I don't think people aren't joining these due to an aim type split, I think this is more about the hosting and matchmaking generally and it's compounded by the sheer variety of maps and modes available!

maybe assisted free aim but I can't tell the difference

Free-aim assisted will snap your aim to a player/NPC but only from a very short range. This assistance is instant but does not retain any locking at all if the player/NPC moves.

My ideal scenario: Free aim everywhere, adapt scrubs.

I think forcing one aim mode only may initially serve to keep the population concentrated but ultimately not offering players options will mean that population drops off more quickly over the long term.

I play both modes regularly and see no reason why both aim modes shouldn't have their place. Both have their own individual challenges and create their own fun, in a free-aim session it's harder to kill but easier to live, in an aim-assist session it's easier to kill but harder to live. Both can be thrilling and I see no reason to not cater to players who enjoy one over the other or both.

Man, it's too hard trying to get 20 wins for the Sports class of cars so I can get my Sultan RS.

How do you guys legitimately win 20 races with one car type when R* playlist random it up hard and a lot of ground races force a car type that's not sport? damnit.

I make my own playlist, 1 lap around the prison, and no one wants to join it.

Mistel

Banned
Man, it's too hard trying to get 20 wins for the Sports class of cars so I can get my Sultan RS.

How do you guys legitimately win 20 races with one car type when R* playlist random it up hard and a lot of ground races force a car type that's not sport? damnit.

I make my own playlist, 1 lap around the prison, and no one wants to join it.
Do motorcycle races they unlock performance upgrades for all classes super used to do it might still do I'm not too sure.

Is there any reason to care about leveling up about level 120? What else is there to unlock. I am currently grinding from level 86 and I am debating if I should just stop at 100.

Mistel

Banned
Is there any reason to care about leveling up about level 120? What else is there to unlock. I am currently grinding from level 86 and I am debating if I should just stop at 100.
If you want the minigun then you should carry on till 120, if not 100 gets you every rank based unlockable sans miningun.

so to unlock car upgrades I need to race VS a human and win?

would someone like to race with me in invite only sessions and trade wins each race?
Is that a way to grind this?

To do it the normal way I need help with how to turn off chat the chatter is annoying

Darker

Banned
Since it's a running theme and one of the best bits of GTA:O;

Post a pic of your favourite possession, be it your car, plane, house, gun, fashion - anything that puts a smile on your face when you hop online.

For me, it's my Dukes - so glad they added it to PS4. The acceleration, the drifting, the side-exhausts, the Dirty Harry paintjob...

If looks could kill:
YrIF5nQKHUmc__HKhpgQfA_0_0.jpg

So, I never see anyone online in the NeoGAF crew I'm a part of.

Would those of you who play this game add me on PSN? I'd love to play with more GAF members!

Omni

If anyone is on Xbox One and has this game, feel free to add me. My GT is randomraaawr

Always happy to play. c:

Man it's too hard trying to win races. lol

Also sucks I can't queue into bike races only.

just managed to win one race after getting 4th when a guy spun me out because I was leading all 3 laps

so I did the same race again but avoided the attacks this time

I need 2 more wins just to unlock the first engine part smh :(

I think if you get lucky you'll find races with kids just goofing around crashing into each other joking just race seriously and steal a win from those guys to get the upgrade grind going

I love this car tho

RekXeaA.jpg

BsRMG8Q.jpg

It definitely favours people in first because everyone behind first place just gets shit on each other.

First place just needs to drive safe and win.

It definitely favours people in first because everyone behind first place just gets shit on each other.

First place just needs to drive safe and win.

guess the trick is to get in first place to start with
kinda hard at first just find a race you like and redo it over and over alone first then select that race with other players since you know the track and turns it should help you get around the goofs

Mistel

Banned
Can't do bike specific races because no one joins them. playing random races with rockstar queue.
Then in that case not starting in first or second if it's weapons free race is quite beneficial considering you can usually run the first two off the road at the first corner. Depends on driver ability of course though.

forms

Can auto/lock on aim be disabled on a per server basis, or is it a case of separated lobbies? I tried online on 360, and couldn't understand how easily people popped me at first before I had set my aim on them.

Ted

Loads of questions! Good stuff.

I thought you needed to do races with that class of cars?

No.

so to unlock car upgrades I need to race VS a human and win?

Yes.

Do motorcycle races they unlock performance upgrades for all classes super used to do it might still do I'm not too sure.

No motorcycles unlock everything for every class so they're the better option if you want upgrades.

Whilst this is true and I thought this for the longest time, in actual fact any land race win in any class counts as a win in all classes. The pop up in LS Customs is misleading.

[EDIT - The numbers may be off between classes on a specific character because different classes need different win amounts, so for a turbo you need 20 wins to mod a super, 20 for sports, 19 in muscle and 18 in off road and bikes etc.]

Just for you guys I started a brand new character and took some before and after a win photographs. I bought a cheap 6 car garage near the LSC out by the Sandy Shores the bought a cheap super car (the Ford GT alike) and stole a sports car (Sultan RS), a compact (Issi), a bike (Sanchez) and an off roader (SWB Sand King). I then started playing races with custom cars off with my level 1 player and eventually got enough players together to have some races and then scored a win in a compact car race.

After that I had a few more races (with no more wins) before calling it a night.

Super car pre win:

Super car post win:

You basically just need to win land races. Not sure if bicyles races count. I suspect not.

I got pre win images of the others as well but didn't have time to take them to LSC after but I will do tomorrow evening.

Great against helicopters and fighters not really great against any player with a ranged option or a car if they just splatter you.

And fun. The whirrzzzzz at start up and the tracer type effect are great.

would someone like to race with me in invite only sessions and trade wins each race?
Is that a way to grind this?

Happy to lose a few around that god forsaken prison track if you need. Add me if you still need it Friday. I'll be around over the weekend.

To do it the normal way I need help with how to turn off chat the chatter is annoying

You can mute individual players in lobbies using the option in the lobby menu called something like "view joined players", then there is a player specific options menu.

You can also set chat to crew + friends only in free-roam lobbies by holding the touchpad (or XB1 equiv) down to bring up the interaction menu. I'm not sure if this carries forward into instanced lobbies.

Can auto/lock on aim be disabled on a per server basis, or is it a case of separated lobbies? I tried online on 360, and couldn't understand how easily people popped me at first before I had set my aim on them.

You'll join a server with only the aim-type you chose however there was a "use auto-aim" in a free aim lobby" glitch last gen (not sure for how long) so you may have come across that.

If looks could kill:
YrIF5nQKHUmc__HKhpgQfA_0_0.jpg

A menacing beauty no doubt. That stance alone!

Right square on the bonnet/hood. Pretty much placed rather than thrown. That's GAF, blowing shit up in style.

Ted

In GTA it does.

Particularly combined with catch up. Trading places is racing in GTA with catch up on. Think before you overtake. Can you snatch a lead? Is there a tricky section ahead? Can you afford to sit in their wake and just blast past at the end? Is there traffic behind. Smart racing is key.

And, frankly, a bit of good luck. Some races you're just going to get knocked about deliberately or in error and it's going to screw your race. You just got to take the rough with the smooth in LS sometimes. :)

Having way more fun on PS4 than I had on PS3 with this. Just wish the co-op missions would not be so boring. Bring on heists!

Mistel

Banned
I had one for a while on the last gen version and though I quite liked it and may get another one day, I didn't like it enough for it to carve a permanent place in my garages. Whether the Carbonizzare does or not is yet to be seen!
If you don't keep the Carbonizzare and got the money you should try the coquette classic really nicely styled stingray lookalike, with a lot of customizations for it. Only downside is price which is like a lot.

Top Bottom