• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V GameInformer Discussion (11/8, 12PM EST)

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Wait so you switch between the chars at any time? Is there co op?

Would seem a gigantic missed opportunity if there wasn't .... but if there isn't ... can you imagine playing cops and robbers or whatever in this game world?? ditch the city .. take your friends on a 20 minute car chase through the country and finish with running away into the ocean! :D

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Dynamic missions:

Because the expansive frontier in Red Dead Redemption was so wide open, Rockstar Games devised a dynamic mission system that would present players with scenarios they could either ignore or engage rather than making them wander aimlessly between missions.

GTA example: When you are driving around in the country, you may see a broken down car or hitchhiker on the side of the road. If you're the curious type, pull over and see what happens.

Did a Breaking Bad style drug deal go bad? Investigate if you want.

OK this sounds awesome.

d1rtn4p

Kinda disappointed to hear that there won't be any properties to purchase. I love that type stuff in open world games...

Tons of stuff to buy other than housing. Houser addresses the valid criticism of GTA IV's inability to do much with $$ at the end of the game. Vibrant and fun economy - not property, but other things.

Streamlining the phone. Dynamic missions a la RDR. Missions that intertwine with all three characters. Cutting out the celebrity VO talent. New rendering, light and shader advances in the RAGE engine that blow away GTA IV.

What do you mean? I played RDR so you can tell me with spoiler tags so others that haven't played it don't get spoiled.

Dynamic missions:

Because the expansive frontier in Red Dead Redemption was so wide open, Rockstar Games devised a dynamic mission system that would present players with scenarios they could either ignore or engage rather than making them wander aimlessly between missions.

GTA example: When you are driving around in the country, you may see a broken down car or hitchhiker on the side of the road. If you're the curious type, pull over and see what happens.

OK this sounds awesome.

Nevermind, explained here.

Tons of stuff to buy other than housing. Houser addresses the valid criticism of GTA IV's inability to do much with $$ at the end of the game. Vibrant and fun economy - not property, but other things.

Streamlining the phone. Dynamic missions a la RDR. Missions that intertwine with all three characters. Cutting out the celebrity VO talent. New rendering, light and shader advances in the RAGE engine that blow away GTA IV.

http://i.imgur.com/iCfrl.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]
The property stuff isn't really a deal breaker. It's a nice addition but I'd rather be able to buy clothes, vehicles and equipment and have easy access to them.

[quote="AranhaHunter, post: 44132811"]What do you mean? I played RDR so you can tell me with spoiler tags so others that haven't played it don't get spoiled.[/QUOTE]
Like you're out in the world and people ask you for help or you witness certain incidents, with the opportunity to intervene.

Dynamic missions:

OK this sounds awesome.

This was AWESOME for the first few hours of RDR... until they all repeated. Over and over again.

It was a great idea but I hope they put more resources in so there's many more uniques ones and they don't repeat as often (ideally not at all).

Marleyman

Banned
You people that hate RDR because "there's nothing to do" have to understand that not every game needs to be San Andreas, especially since it's a completely different series. I'll argue about all the crap GTAIV removed from GTA:SA, but with RDR Rockstar wanted to make a very specific experience, and they accomplished that.

GTA IV was meant to be a "very specific experience" IMO. It wasn't littered with random things to do just to do them.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
What do you mean? I played RDR so you can tell me with spoiler tags so others that haven't played it don't get spoiled.

No buying of property? Too bad. GTA games that don't allow you to buy property suffer from the "money is worthless" problem. In GTAIV, basically, you could only spend money on weapons... so doing a mission that gave you a lot of money was basically useless. Cash is a great reward for the player to do smaller missions, but removing things to spend money on makes it less valuable.

lefantome

No buying of property? Too bad. GTA games that don't allow you to buy property suffer from the "money is worthless" problem. In GTAIV, basically, you could only spend money on weapons... so doing a mission that gave you a lot of money was basically useless. Cash is a great reward for the player to do smaller missions, but removing things to spend money on makes it less valuable.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

goddammit, make me buy a big house and that's it, I don't need customization

GTA IV was meant to be a "very specific experience" IMO. It wasn't littered with random things to do just to do them.

Yeah but in comparison to its own series, lack of "stuff to do" is a valid complaint, whether you agree with it or not. My issue comes from taking that complaint to RDR. Completely different franchise.

This was AWESOME for the first few hours of RDR... until they all repeated. Over and over again.

It was a great idea but I hope they put more resources in so there's many more uniques ones and they don't repeat as often (ideally not at all).

That was the first iteration, I'm sure they will improve on it.

BFIB

I'm glad they're addressing the money situation. Maybe you can buy businesses that boost certain aspects of your character?

Trigger

Dynamic missions:

OK this sounds awesome.

Let me get a new pair of pants.

Little bummed when I read that, but hopefully the cryptic "economy" mentioned will turn out to be just as fun.

i'm very bummed about it. apparently the motivation for all three characters to do crime is money, but to me i think properties are one of the best ways to show off your wealth, so it sucks that its not in there.

edit:
that screenshot of the mansion with the tennis court in the back yard made me think there was gonna be property buying :(

Aguirre

Dynamic missions:

OK this sounds awesome.

oh god oh god i can just see my free time disappearing

Linkhero1

This.

Eventually, it got to the point where I kept on moving, without a thought of what's going on nearby. If they want this to work out well, they're going to have to give us more diverse scenarios compared to RDR.

Lakitu

st5fu
Read the article. This just shot up to my most anticipated title. I loved San Andreas, enjoyed IV and fucking loved RDR. Can't wait.

Martian

Military base?

Heat-like character?

Scuba diving?

Mt Chilliad?

Quad bikes?

Day fuckin one!

DAY FUCKING ONE, YOU HEAR ME?

I hate the idea of 'better' handling on the cars. I likes the carry of GTA cars. I got used to it. It sounds like SR3 driving, which I really didn't care for.

"looking over a vast city, rivers, coastline, countryside, hills, mountains, canyons, deserts, wetlands, forests, and all the little towns, farms, buildings, and settlements..."

"we used to only render 1.5km at most in IV, now we render the most distant mountains at the other end of the world many, many miles away."

x-Lundz-x

Wow, I guess people don't know how to read the OP. Getting to be a graveyard in here.

Sounds absolutely amazing. Any details on campaign co-op?

noobasuar

Banned
I like most of the stuff they're saying like being able to switch between characters during the missions and removing the romance stuff but I am pretty pissed that you can't buy properties again. Don't really buy what they're saying about money having value as of yet. Also I love how the GI guy that wrote the article said there was so much stuff to do between missions in IV when I thought there was absolutely nothing of value to do and most of the side shit was horrible.

Rockstar is really good at hyping shit up and then delivering a mediocre game like they did with IV. Seems like they're spending more time again with trying to create a believable city rather than making it fun for gameplay purposes or just focusing more on the gameplay side of things.

Still I'm cautiously optimistic and will probably end up buying the game no matter what.

Top Bottom