• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V GameInformer Discussion (11/8, 12PM EST)

Anth0ny

"Los Santos is bigger than RDR, GTA IV and San Andreas combined."

You can explore underwater sections of the city.

how the f

Moabv.jpg

I wonder if it beats Just Cause 2 :p

Raptomex

So I hope my wish for replayable missions comes true. It's been a feature in Chinatown Wars and TBoGT. Instead of having to replay the game and check out different viewpoints it would be nice to just replay the mission whenever you want.

Brinbe

Man, already like those characters a lot. Real immediate difference between the 3 of them.

And kinda sad that they confirmed that the PS2 era is a completely different universe. Would've loved to see some link between this and SA.

dc89

I think it's just sunk in.

"When we're building a world we tend to fly about and check things out using a freely moving debug camera. It's pretty incredible starting a mile up looking over the vast city, rivers, coastline, countryside, hills, mountains, canyons, deserts, wetlands, forests, and all the little towns, farms, buildings and settlements and zoom in to an area. Starting that high you can see the shadows of the clouds roll over the land, the helicopters, birds and planes flying about."

Game of the forever. No doubt.

Buying property, as a crook, is the worst way to show off your wealth.

how's that? i'm not talking real life, i'm talkig about big time crooks in media. they all got nice cars and homes, etc.

Can you imagine what R* will be capable of producing when the constraints of this generation of consoles have been lifted?

better graphics? beyond that i don't know what else we can expect, San Andreas is still their deepest GTA to date and that was last gen.

how the f

http://i.imgur.com/Moabv.jpg

I wonder if it beats Just Cause 2 :P[/QUOTE]

JC2, as amazing as that world is, is largely copy and pasted trees and hillside, though.

I expect more from that in a GTA game, especially since Liberty City in GTA 4 was the most richly detailed and varied game location ever when it came to architecture and mood. It really, really felt like a real city.

I'm not sure how they can replicate that same quality so many times over in such a large space. If we're having countryside again I want it to be just as unique and detailed as their city work.

Reiko

Banned
I think it's just sunk in.

"When we're building a world we tend to fly about and check things out using a freely moving debug camera. It's pretty incredible starting a mile up looking over the vast city, rivers, coastline, countryside, hills, mountains, canyons, deserts, wetlands, forests, and all the little towns, farms, buildings and settlements and zoom in to an area. Starting that high you can see the shadows of the clouds roll over the land, the helicopters, birds and planes flying about."

Game of the forever. No doubt.

So if IGN gave GTA4 a 10/10 what does this get?

Raptomex

I don't get why gangs are not big thing anymore. It adds to the game alot imo. I spent hours having shootouts with the triads and uptown yardies in GTA3.
After taking over all the territories in SA, I would turn on the gang cheats and have a blast. Starting wars in the streets and stuff.

Really wish they'd bring back purchasable properties. Bad form, Rockstar.

Other than that, hype city. This will be an amazing post-finals gift to myself.

dreamfall

I'm not really sure what lots of interiors add to a sandbox game. Back in the PS2 gen as a kid I always wanted every building to be enterable, but the ones that are in the latest games are pretty dull. You can go up and have a shoot-out and... that's about it?

I'd rather have some big, unique indoor environments, but have the focus on crafting a city as a whole.

In GTA 4 all the interiors were basically portals to a bunch of different mini games, which is incredibly boring to me.

That's definitely a great point. I just think some really neatly designed interiors could offer some great atmosphere but also some neat mission design. I mean, you could always buy items, rob stores, visit strip clubs, etc.

But what if you could go drinking at a bar, get into a dynamic fist fight, kill the owner and take over the business by hiring a friend to run the place? What if you could just go inside a building, sit and smoke hookah and partake in a DJ spin off? Strange inane things like that to add more to the experience rather than the gameplay.

I think the problem with Mafia 2 was that it was a static backdrop with many interiors you could visit without a unique purpose. When buildings seem to pop up that are repeated, the world itself loses cohesion.

Raptomex

I'm assuming the buyable properties isn't returning due to the implemented auto save feature. However I assume they'll add tons of safehouses this time seeing how big the game is.

And like GTA4 and RDR... They look just like the artwork.
disagree with gta4 but rdr looked good(not nearly s good as the art) and max;s model is pretty awesome.

Rockstar has gotten WAY better at models since last gen, and even stuff as recent as RDR and Max Payne 3 show big improvements title to title. Still have my doubt as to whether or not those are console screens, but we'll see.
yea

dreamfall

So I hope my wish for replayable missions comes true. It's been a feature in Chinatown Wars and TBoGT. Instead of having to replay the game and check out different viewpoints it would be nice to just replay the mission whenever you want.

They also had this in Red Dead! I wonder if the choices you make (like who you choose to play as) will dynamically affect the game as you progress. If you spend more in time in mission as Trevor, will the decision to maybe cause chaos form a distrustful relationship with Franklin? Later, if you switch to Franklin can you purposefully sabotage Trevor so maybe he gets caught?

Oh, the possibilities!

I might get it if it has a proper check point scheme...it was incredibly tedious having to drive across the city every time you failed a mission

As awesome as all this stuff is, most of it was expected.
There are still so many questions that remain and we're only 6ish months out.

Want to know about:
- Radio Stations
- # of Interior Environments
- Shooting Mechanics (Cover, Strafing, Diving, Human Shields?)
Etc., etc.

Trailer #2 will probably focus on either Trevor or Franklin, I'm guessing?

So yeah... Grand Theft Auto 6:

Claude Speed and CJ team up in Miami & Cuba to overthrow the drug cartel.

Nope. Think Open World X-COM. You have 6-7 protagonists from the series, you outfit them with gear and then pick a main city from every country on the map and drop them in to steal a ride.

That's definitely a great point. I just think some really neatly designed interiors could offer some great atmosphere but also some neat mission design. I mean, you could always buy items, rob stores, visit strip clubs, etc.

But what if you could go drinking at a bar, get into a dynamic fist fight, kill the owner and take over the business by hiring a friend to run the place? What if you could just go inside a building, sit and smoke hookah and partake in a DJ spin off? Strange inane things like that to add more to the experience rather than the gameplay.

I think the problem with Mafia 2 was that it was a static backdrop with many interiors you could visit without a unique purpose. When buildings seem to pop up that are repeated, the world itself loses cohesion.

This is definitely a cool idea!

I must admit, I do love walking around clubs in GTA games. Vice City's was awesome, but the one in Gay Tony? Wooahh boy was that atmosphere awesome. Like I said, if it's more like that, then I'm all for it. I just don't want copy and paste interiors for the sake of being able to go in to lots of buildings.

Perhaps these dynamic missions could be triggered in certain buildings or you had to use the interiors to do unique things for them. Just not a bad stealth section getting by security guards, please!

OR I'd love apartment blocks with unique homes in each where you could do a home invasion, or just knock on the door and hang out with random NPCs...

Raptomex

They also had this in Red Dead! I wonder if the choices you make (like who you choose to play as) will dynamically affect the game as you progress. If you spend more in time in mission as Trevor, will the decision to maybe cause chaos form a distrustful relationship with Franklin? Later, if you switch to Franklin can you purposefully sabotage Trevor so maybe he gets caught?

Oh, the possibilities!
Oh god if they do that again I want it done better. Like equal rewards for your choice. In IV if you kill Playboy, Dwayne becomes your friend and you will eventually gain the ability to call for backup from him and he'll send two guys your way to follow you around, also you get Playboy's apartment, the claude outfit easter egg and I think there's a laptop in there too. Awesome. If you kill Dwayne, Playboy yells at you and cuts off contact. Wtf.

Ah, I should have known to check DF first, thanks.

I'm just wondering if they can beat the insane heights you could fly up to in Just Cause 2. You could keep going until the tallest point in the game was a spec.

It sort of creeps me out that when you get so high, you almost go through the skybox.

But yes, I too hope you can fly as high as Just Cause. It'd make for some fun skydiving.

Tr4nce

OK GAF. How is Rockstar going to manage this? So much vehicles, such a large map. It all sounds so good to be true :D

Man, I am hyped out of my skull right now. This game is going to be amazing, if we can believe the GI article.

OK GAF. How is Rockstar going to manage this? So much vehicles, such a large map. It all sounds so good to be true :D

Man, I am hyped out of my skull right now. This game is going to be amazing, if we can believe the GI article.

"Combined efforts of many Rockstar studios."

JAY the BIRD

Neo Member
Ugh there goes that incredibly inaccurate map again. How does that keep popping up? I see it every time a new open world game comes out. Look at one city road from Paradise City and tell me its the same size as a whole highway from Los Santos to San Fiero.

Map... C'mon. Map...C'mon. Map.........C'mon.

So excited for this. All of the info sounds awesome. GTA4 is the reason I bought a console this gen and then propelled me into buying more games.

Top Bottom