• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V PC Performance Thread

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
Make SURE you turn off any overrides in the nvidia control panel (like forced vsync). Forced triple buffered vsync was destroying my frame rate and causing awful hitching.

Gambit61

So annoyed right now. I guess the only option for me is to uninstall and reinstall and that's not going to be finished tonight.

What did you do different?

I added the Gtav folder to the Windows Defender Excluded Folders and rebooted. I also deleted the update metadata and update file after backing it up.

Sarcasm

I7 3770k
670gtx

When not streaming in twitch I get above 60 when not in cutscenes.

Streaming I get 45 when not in cutscenes.

Both get dips in fps during cutscenes.

Kind of weird.

Dave_6

Mine is stuttering so badly during the opening mission that I can't stand to play it.

3570K@4.4
G1 970 (not overclocked)
8GB Samsung RAM
Installed to my 1TB HD (SSD is only 120GB with ~16GB left)

Using the new drivers (clean install using GeForce Experience) and using the optimized settings via GeForce Experience. Have in-game refresh rate at 144hz (VG248QE monitor) with vsync off.

Should I have done a clean install using DDU instead of GFE?

Quoting my earlier post: Did a clean install using Display Driver Uninstaller. Still getting bad stuttering/hitching in the prologue. Think my hard drive could be the culprit?

This is annoying as hell :/

AmyS

What's the traffic density like on the freeways during peak times when those population sliders are maxed ?

30fps with a 970? OMG, just set something to high instead of very high.

I can already tell you it will be very hard to lock this game at 60fps, even with 970/980 class GPUs and turning down some settings. Not sure if my 3770K@4,4 is a bottleneck though.

Biggest performance killer by far if you are out in the nature is grass on Ultra. But by the gods is the foliage good. Even on very high it looks amazing and destroys the console versions.

Redmoon

Game runs great at 1080p and 4K on my Titan x's. Not regretting getting these gpu's.
Where are the screenshots?

I posted some in the main OT and in the 2015 screenshot thread. Just bench pictures so far. To busy driving around to take more.

Stitch

Gold Member
Is that worthless bunch of particles on the bottom right side of the screen meant to be the in-game map? Because I'm not seeing a map. Have yet to try to beta Catalyst driver, though.

no, the map is on the left side. disable MSAA and the particles will go away. seems to be a bug :/

Kvik

I set it all to the max settings and sometimes it drops to 50FPS in some scenes.

What are the most intensive processes? Or at least the ones that aren't that noticable but improve the frame rate.

If you're using Nvidia, try turning off PCSS since they're quite expensive.

rog swift
i5 4670k oc to 4.4
970 sli non-oc
rog swift

don't know fps, runs like a dream except for occasional stutter (which doesn't happen in cutscenes)

optimized by geforce experience (which is pretty much all max)

Pronewbie

Banned
I'm interested to know the fps difference between day and night. Frame rate absolutely tanks for me by around 10 - 50% during night time in moderately dense areas. Don't forget that you need to be swinging the camera and moving about while testing and not just keeping still.

Frame rate is as optimised as gta 4 for me. This sucks.

noomi

Pretty rock solid 60fps with every maxed 1080p, msaa x4 and txaa on, will dip to 50's in some spots but I think that's sli scalign since I see usage drop to 60% or so...

980 in SLI
3700k @ 4.3Ghz
16GB Ram

dmr87

I can play the into sequence but game crashes a few seconds after I get into the car as Franklin.

Turning off Afterburner and my 2nd monitor solved it, gonna look into it further. Either unstable GPU clock, 2nd monitor screwing with the game or the afterburner OSD.

crossfire R9 290
5760x1080
Played through the intro with MSAA off but other settings high/ultra, solid 60FPS

Got to the title video, framerate nosedived, game froze and crashed to desktop

Brother asked me to play some borderlands, so I will try again tomorrow

ThomasCro

Pretty rock solid 60fps with every maxed 1080p, msaa x4 and txaa on, will dip to 50's in some spots but I think that's sli scalign since I see usage drop to 60% or so...

980 in SLI
3700k @ 4.3Ghz
16GB Ram

I have a 3570k @4.4
8gb ram
single 970

same settings, same results

Anyone with a OC'D 2500K and an R9 280X have anything to report? Don't wanna purchase the game before I can hear some performance impressions with my setup.

Have you tested for severe frame drops during the night? I was happy with my 60fps during the day drive to the 1st safe house. Started noticing severe frame drops in the evening/night during the mission.

i just played a night race mission and it varied at 56-82FPS.

Buburibon

Quoting my earlier post: Did a clean install using Display Driver Uninstaller. Still getting bad stuttering/hitching in the prologue. Think my hard drive could be the culprit?

This is annoying as hell :/

Setting a 60fps cap via Afterburner/RTSS and using NVCP's vsync instead of the one provided in-game helped lessen the stuttering by quite a bit in my experience. Default settings were pretty much unplayable.

Kahoona

I'm having some SERIOUS rendering issues. Some assets don't render until I stand there for 10+ seconds...I'm talking houses and roads. The textures stay low res for way too long as well.

Example:
0haTaj3.jpg

Also, the cut scenes just randomly freeze in the middle of them for like 5 seconds. It's not the computer freezing because I can still see the physics working on the characters' shirts and stuff so it's something to do with the game.

Feels very optimized. Running it at 1440p, Everything High and with FXAA.

60 fps with zero drops. Will probably bump a couple of things up until I see some fps drops.

Intel Core i7-4770K
EVGA GeForce GTX 780ti
16GB Ram

17140284911_a28d442f83_b.jpg

Everything maxxed at 4k, except using fxaa, and getting a near solid 60fps driving through town at breakneck speeds. I'm really, really surprised by this game.

With everything maxed 2xMSAA at 1080p it's dropping down to around 40-50 FPS at times, gonna have to lower some settings I think. GTX980 here. 60 feels way too good to opt for locking at 30 instead.

Same here, but I don't know what would be best to drop. I guess AA? Oh well.

Dave_6

Setting a 60fps cap via Afterburner/RTSS and using NVCP's vsync instead of the one provided in-game helped lessen the stuttering by quite a bit in my experience. Default settings were pretty much unplayable.

I have the refresh rate at 144 and the in-game vsync is off. I don't have it enabled in NVCP either. I'll try what you posted though as I can't play it like it is. Doesn't make any sense.

AJLma

Turned off all the Extra Draw / Shadow Distance options, they don't make too much of a difference since most of the stuff it ends up rendering is out of sight, at a huge performance cost.

Kept the Advanced Shadows options, FXAA on, no MSAA, everything else on Ultra and I'm now at 80FPS+ and up at pretty much all times.

This games framerate is wildly variable though.

Didn't notice much of a performance dip at night.

Matteoj8

Why is Nvidia TXAA disabled for me?

On my 970, turning shadow quality from "Very High" to "High" pretty much locks me in at 60 fps with MSAA 2x and most everything else maxed. Keeping it on Very High gives me dips in the low 50s. Not sure if it's worth keeping it on very high or not...

Tainted

Have you tested for severe frame drops during the night? I was happy with my 60fps during the day drive to the 1st safe house. Started noticing severe frame drops in the evening/night during the mission.

What about night time during rain with all those beautiful reflections off the road surfaces...that is sure to be a FPS killer

LilJoka

Anything happens on a 970 when you play at 4gb vram?

I tried 8xMSAA, wants 4000MB. The game won't load more than 3480MB, it goes very stuttery, fps around 45. Driver has capped it and DSR doesn't work so you can't even force it to use more VRAM.

Top Bottom