• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V PC Performance Thread

GTX 970
i7-4770k
8GB RAM

Stuttering pretty badly, fluctuating between 30-59fps. Running at 1200p and 59hz. Optimized with GeForce Experience.

Also is making my computer stutter a bit.

jmga

Definitely locking it at 30 for maximum eye candy. I am playing it with a controller on my TV and I am used to 30fps GTAV. A GTX970 is not capable of a locked 60 in this game with maxed out settings unfortunately. Actually not even close. So glad that I can finally turn off that disgusting FXAA from the console versions.

30fps with a 970? OMG, just set something to high instead of very high.

LilJoka

With everything maxed 2xMSAA at 1080p it's dropping down to around 40-50 FPS at times, gonna have to lower some settings I think. GTX980 here. 60 feels way too good to opt for locking at 30 instead.

I went back to FXAA to keep 60 locked. Shadows at High have a noticeable loaded in line, so very high is what I will run. Put post processing to high instead of very high. Reduce the Distance scaling 2 notches down from max. Pretty much locked 1080p60 now on heavily overclocked 970.

Running benchmarks in-game.

Settings -

1920*1080
MSAA x2
Population Density and Variety full
Distance Scaling full
Texture Quality Very High
Shader Quality Very High
Shadow Quality Normal
Reflection Quality Very High
Reflection MSAA x2
Water Quality Very High
Particles Quality Very High
Grass Quality High
Soft Shadows Soft
Post FX Very High
Motion Blur Strength none
In-Game Depth of Field Effects On
Anisotropic Filtering x16
Ambient Occlusion High
Tessellation High

Video Memory 2425/3072

Results -

Fairly consistent mid to high 50's, occasionally touching 60. Often dipping down into the 40's - lowest was the high 30's. I'm turning down particles and shader quality a tad. FXAA is not very good and even with MSAA the game is full of jaggies.

I played the first mission, saved, did the benchmarks and left. Trying to get back in took a while - first RSC launched then quit on loading, then several times after that told me there was a Steam error. I kept trying and now I'm back in. I haven't crashed yet, but I did see some graphics corruption during one of the benchmarks. Turned my graphics fan speed up to full, then went back in. Trying new settings now.
Thanks for this post. It confirms that my pc would not handle this game well at all. I have the same GPU as you but a much worse CPU and less RAM.

I'm not going to get this game until I build a new pc. I'll have to hold out on finally playing this for quite a while longer since I'm waiting for Skylake before I build.

It's incredibly weird playing GTA Online without a shitty framerate, jaggies everywhere and insanely long load times.

Also for some reason, the refresh rate will sometimes be set to 59Hz. Probably a bug with alt-tab.

the performance from a PS4 to the PC is like night and day. im getting 60+ FPS with an Intel i5 2500K, GTX 780 at very high.

epmode

Anyone else getting an option for only 59hz? I can't put it to 60 for some reason, my monitor is set to 60 obviously.

This has to do with the refresh rate your monitor is reporting to Windows. The game reads that number rather than what the monitor supposedly is. It's almost certainly not a problem.

Getting a framerate of 50-60 with everything maxed besides MSAA and shadows at soft, looks great.

I5 3570k @ 4.0 ghz, gtx770 4gb, 8gb RAM.

Wonder if I could get even better rates with a slightly higher CPU clock.

Edit: changed shadows to pcss and it still runs at the same framerate.

viveks86

With everything maxed 2xMSAA at 1080p it's dropping down to around 40-50 FPS at times, gonna have to lower some settings I think. GTX980 here. 60 feels way too good to opt for locking at 30 instead.

Whoa. Was not expecting sub 60 at 1080p with a 980. Looks like the game does scale quite a bit.

Loris146

Well this seems strange... Try lower shadow quality ( PCSS are pretty demading )

LilJoka

I'm getting the blurry Shadows loading in like far cry 4, no matter the setting. As you walk towards them there is a line between the sharp part of the shadow and blurred.

Anyone else?

Ran fantastic during the Prologue mission, ran like absolute garbage during the first Los Santos mission, stuttering like crazy. I'm downloading and installing the AMD beta drivers, those should help and a fresh restart on my computer should also

i5-2500k @4.2Ghz
8GB RAM
7850 2GB

Settings are a mix of normal/high/very high, at 1080p. Got pretty much locked 60fps on the prologue mission.

Will update once the drivers are installed.

Pronewbie

Banned
the performance from a PS4 to the PC is like night and day. im getting 60+ FPS with an Intel i5 2500K, GTX 780 at very high.

Are you running at 1080p? Im only getting 30 - 50fps at 2560 x 1440p in the evening/night. Disappointed. Even when toning it down to what Rockstar recommends by default (still 1440p) I get between 40 - 60 Fps

Well, while single player hasn't given me any breaking bugs, the opening cutscene of Online keeps fucking up - it's not loading the scenery properly when it gets to the driving part, and it keeps stopping on the logo. Goddamn it, Rockstar.

Ok I uninstalled everything and redownloaded everything. Now I can't get anything to work, at all. It won't even download the game like it did with the preload. Launcher always crashes after a couple of seconds (memory use always 23 732k). I have 100% given up.

HeliosT10

Very pleased here, running it at 1080p with pretty much everything maxed expect MSAA which is off entirely.

Intel Core i7 4790S
16GB RAM
980M 8GB

1920*1080
MSAA - Off
NVIDIA TXAA - Off
Population Density and Variety full
Distance Scaling full
Texture Quality Very High
Shader Quality Very High
Shadow Quality Very High
Reflection Quality Very High
Reflection Off
Water Quality Very High
Particles Quality Very High
Grass Quality Very High
Soft Shadows NVIDIA PCSS
Post FX Very High
Motion Blur Strength 1 notch
In-Game Depth of Field Effects On
Anisotropic Filtering x16
Ambient Occlusion High
Tessellation Very High

Video Memory 3243/8192MB

Advanced Graphics

Long Shadows On
High Resolution Shadows On
High Detail Streaming When Flying On
Extended Distance Scaling Full
Extended Shadows Distance 2 notches

viveks86

So annoyed right now. I guess the only option for me is to uninstall and reinstall and that's not going to be finished tonight.

Fuck. Have you exhausted all other options (like the special characters issue mentioned above)? Last thing you want is to find out that reinstalling makes no difference.

Nuknuk

Neo Member
I can't get my game to run full screen with out framerate at 24. It's annoying. Anyone have any solutions? I select full screen but then it just goes windowed again at 24

Salsa

mmmmmmmmmhhhmm

It's clearly a good port. Think im just not up to par with how I wanna play it, need to fiddle with things.

for reference:

OCed 2gig 680
i5 2500k @ 4.0ghz
1080p

textures on normal, FXAA, must of everything else on high or above

=

60 in closed spaces. But get to driving and the dips are reeeeeal

kinda disappointed, but at the same time at least it's not a complete mess of a port.

hopefully I can get it to look alright while achieving solid 60 when I mess with it some more :(

Smokey

Fuck. Have you exhausted all other options? Last thing you want is to find out that reinstalling makes no difference.

not sure what else to do.

did a completely clean install of the new drivers even though i put them on earlier. fun thing is using DDU doing a complete clean sweep doesn't play nice with my motherboard. So I spent 20 minutes getting that situated only to find out i still cannot launch the game.

I have 3 drives in my PC: 1 with OS, 1 just for games, and a media drive. I installed the game on the game drive. My Account Name doesn't have any special characters. So not sure what else is the problem.

I can't get my game to run full screen with out framerate at 24. It's annoying. Anyone have any solutions? I select full screen but then it just goes windowed again at 24

Much like the 59 hz bug, the 24 hz bugs are caused by windows and how the game reads your monitor ranges. Create a custom resolution which runs at 59 hz or stop using HDMI. Those are possible solutions.

ThomasCro

I set it all to the max settings and sometimes it drops to 50FPS in some scenes.

What are the most intensive processes? Or at least the ones that aren't that noticable but improve the frame rate.

viveks86

not sure what else to do.

did a completely clean install of the new drivers even though i put them on earlier. fun thing is using DDU doing a complete clean sweep doesn't play nice with my motherboard. So I spent 20 minutes getting that situated only to find out i still cannot launch the game.

I have 3 drives in my PC: 1 with OS, 1 just for games, and a media drive. I installed the game on the game drive. My Account Name doesn't have any special characters. So not sure what else is the problem.

Have you tried disabling one card and running everything at stock?

Man if I can't get this game running soon I might jump on the GTAV PC hate train. Unbelievable.

There is absolutely no reason it should be crashing.

Top Bottom