• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V PC Performance Thread

beeswax

I really wish someone was able to figure out this 59fps issue. It bugs me so much haha

Quoting myself again...

I've seen mentioned this issue where only 59Hz appears in the in-game refresh rate options, I get the same thing whether playing on my monitor or TV. In fact, 59Hz is listed twice for some reason. It does indeed lock to 59fps which was giving me judder/stutter. The only way I could get smooth 60fps was disabling in-game V-Sync, enabling it in the Nvidia Control Panel and locking to 60fps using RTSS. Runs much better now.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Just saw that an over clocked FX6300 averages about 50 fps with high-ultra settings.
That's hot. Especially since every 6300 chip can do 4.2ghz easily, since that's the turbo speed. You pretty much just have to lock it rather than OC.

This really is a quality port.

Edit: Visibility was SRT at 75% too according to the post. Said in city stuff was pretty much locked at 50. Hot shit.

viveks86

I got these numbers with the following settings:

Resolution - 4k

FXAA Off
MSAA 4x
TXAA ON

Population Density - Max
Population Variety - Max
Distance Scaling - Max

Texture Quality - Very High
Shader Quality - Very High
Shadow Quality - Very High
Reflection Quality - Very High
Reflection MSAA - 8x

Water Quality - Very High
Particles Quality - Very High
Grass - Ultra
Soft Shadows - NVIDIA PCSS
Post FX - Ultra
AF - 16x
Ambient Occlusion - High
Tessellation - Very High

Long Shadows - On
High Resolution Shadows - On

Extended Distance Scaling - On
Extended Shadows Distance - On

I tried taking some screen shots, but for some reason I can't with either FRAPS or Precision. These numbers are with stock clocks on the Titan X's. If I applied one of my OC profiles, I'm confident I could hit 60fps.

Or if I simply dropped 4x MSAA to 2x or turned it off and put FXAA on I'd for sure get 60fps.

Will try and capture some tomorrow. I spent the majority of my evening troubleshooting and then waiting for 60GB to redownload, so I'm a bit tired.

Yeah these are similar to mine during my playthrough. Very impressed. I scaled back the AA (since it's 4k) and PCSS to keep it well above 60. Minimum fps stays above 50 even during the worst parts of the "benchmark test". With adaptive vsync (triple buffering off), the game is smooth as butter!

i5-2500k 4.2ghz
680 2GB
8GB RAM

Got it running at a locked 60fps with no dips (yet) with the following settings:

1920x1080
Vsync On
FXAA On
MSAA Off

Population Density - Max
Population Variety - 50%
Distance Scaling - Max

Texture Quality - High
Shadow Quality - High
Reflection MSAA - Off

Grass - Very High
Soft Shadows - Softer
Post FX - Very High
AF - 16x
Ambient Occlusion - Normal
Tessellation - Normal

Long Shadows - On
Extended Distance Scaling - 50%
Extended Shadows Distance - Off

There's probably a few settings I could swap around or increase but I'm happy with it for now, really surprised me how well my old 680 2GB can still run it.

Those settings work great. Was worried about the 2GB but not anymore.

I switched from my TV to my GSync screen and it will probably stay that way. Shooting with kb/m is too good.

Running the game with an uncapped framerate shows that it is pushing my 3770K hard temperature wise. This is a far cry from GTA4, very nice.

Anyone know how to get DSR running for this? I don't see it when I pull the program up in NVIDIA control panel.

EDIT: Nevermind, stupid me. Found it in the general section.

roytheone

i7 870 @ 2,93 ghz
GTX 970
8 GB ram

1080p, Very high settings with all the sliders (except motion blur) on max, 4x MSAA. None of the advanced settings on. Game runs around 50-60 fps, with drops to the low 40's. Not bad, will try setting some options to ultra+ enabling some of the advanced settings tomorrow and see how it holds up.

GavinUK86

I switched from my TV to my GSync screen and it will probably stay that way. Shooting with kb/m is too good.

Running the game with an uncapped framerate shows that it is pushing my 3770K hard temperature wise. This is a far cry from GTA4, very nice.

gta 4 on pc still gives me nightmares

elelunicy

Correct.

That doesn't mean you can store 24GB of different assets, because used/necessary memory in the game bar is multiplied too.

So, a graphic config that shows 1.5GB/2GB in one gpu, will show 3GB/4GB in a 2 way SLI setup or 4.5GB/6GB in Tri-SLI.

Pretty sure that's not how it works. The game just incorrectly shows 1.5GB/2GB, 1.5GB/4GB, 1.5GB/6GB.

rashbeep

Banned
i5-2500k 4.2ghz
680 2GB
8GB RAM

Got it running at a locked 60fps with no dips (yet) with the following settings:

1920x1080
Vsync On
FXAA On
MSAA Off

Population Density - Max
Population Variety - 50%
Distance Scaling - Max

Texture Quality - High
Shadow Quality - High
Reflection MSAA - Off

Grass - Very High
Soft Shadows - Softer
Post FX - Very High
AF - 16x
Ambient Occlusion - Normal
Tessellation - Normal

Long Shadows - On
Extended Distance Scaling - 50%
Extended Shadows Distance - Off

There's probably a few settings I could swap around or increase but I'm happy with it for now, really surprised me how well my old 680 2GB can still run it.

Helpful, thanks. I don't think I'll get the game now, since TW2 will keep me busy until May, but it is very nice to see a 680 getting those numbers with those settings. Personally, I would max out other settings and have a comfy 40-50fps.

I need to jack a plane and see what the draw distance is like.

So far all my experiences have been on foot or in a vehicle.

Flying will probably put strain on things, but who knows. I'm very happy with Rockstar's effort.

Haven't bought the game yet, but is there anyone who has played at specs similar to this:

i7-4720HQ (2.6GHz - 3.6GHz)
8GB RAM
GTX 970

If so, how is it performing for you?

To anyone who is running the game with HDD instead of SSD, what performance issues have been going on? I haven't gotten an SSD just yet and it seems like that playing it on there is the better option according to some posts here.

Not impressed with the optimization at all.
running 4790k@4.5
Sli 970s
@1440p

cant get a consistent 60fps at all. sits around 50 most the time.

using mostly very high with 2xmsaa

Has anyone noticed mouse stuttering navigating the in-game menu? Not during gameplay, just the menu. Also, alt-tabbing and typing a comment in Neogaf, Reddit, address bar or anywhere else is noticeably laggy while GTA5 is running in the background. I have 6gb of ram which is below the recommended amount but utilization isn't showing that much north of 4gb so I don't know if it's a problem on my end.

Anybody got any idea on what settings I should go for to maintain 60fps on a GTX 980 (1508,8000 overclock) and 3970x (4.6 GHz) with 32gb ram?

Driving me fucking nuts now, every time I think I have a solid 60 I get out in the open at night and it bombs.

Also forget having grass at ultra unless you want to murder your framerate

Drop some of the sliders in the advanced setting if you're using them. The distance scaling is probably one of the heavier hitters.

Has anyone noticed mouse stuttering navigating the in-game menu? Not during gameplay, just the menu. Also, alt-tabbing and typing a comment in Neogaf, Reddit, address bar or anywhere else is noticeably laggy while GTA5 is running in the background. I have 6gb of ram which is below the recommended amount but utilization isn't showing that much north of 4gb so I don't know if it's a problem on my end.

RAM is probably the reason. The game uses a lot of it. After that, you're probably page-filing from your HDD or SSD and that'll cause stuttering.

I definitely recommend at least 8GB or RAM for this game.

12GB or more if you want to stream or jump in and out of tabs.

LilJoka

Anybody got any idea on what settings I should go for to maintain 60fps on a GTX 980 (1508,8000 overclock) and 3970x (4.6 GHz) with 32gb ram?

Driving me fucking nuts now, every time I think I have a solid 60 I get out in the open at night and it bombs.

GTX 970 1567/3950Mhz, nearly 1080p60 locked for me, just a few spots it dips to ~55.

DirectX 11
Fullscreen
1920x1080
60Hz

FXAA on
MSAA off
NVIDIA TXAA off
Vsync on
Pause Game On Focus Loss On

Population Density max
Population Variety max
Distance Scaling max

Texture Quality very high
Shader Quality very high
Shadow Quality high
Reflection Quality very high
Reflection MSAA x2
Water Quality very high
Particles Quality very high
Grass Quality very high
Soft Shadows softest

Post FX very high
Motion Blur Strength min
In-Game Depth of Field Effects on
Anisotropic Filtering x16
Ambient Occlusion high
Tesselation very high

Long shadows on
High Resolution Shadows on
High Detail Streaming While Flying on
Extended Distance Scaling 2 notches from max
Extended Shadows Distance (disabled)

Shadow Quality on Very High looks so good at night when the headlights cause long shadows on all objects, but that costs me about 5fps. Some parts of the city have my GPU only at 50% load and doesnt even clock up all the way. And some parts hammer the GPU at 99% max clocks, here setting shadows to High rather than Very High is the only way to get it back to 60.

My GPU should be as quick as something like a super clocked version of a 980. Yours a fair bit faster.

If you do enable Very High shadows, put the Extended Shadows Distance to minimum setting.

Derpcrawler

Turn down shadows to High, honestly the difference between High and Very High is not that big. With shadows on High my game runs uncapped at 70-80FPS at 1440p. Everything else is set according to Geforce Experience.

Dinjoralo

Why are the shadows so weird? It seems random at times what objects get high-res shadows and what objects don't. And some shadows only seem to exist when you're near them.

Pretty much 60fps with some dips for me: (4690K, GTX970, 16GB ram)

DirectX 11
Fullscreen
1920x1080
60Hz

FXAA on
MSAA off
NVIDIA TXAA off
Vsync on
Pause Game On Focus Loss On

Population Density max
Population Variety max
Distance Scaling max

Texture Quality very high
Shader Quality very high
Shadow Quality high
Reflection Quality high
Reflection MSAA off
Water Quality very high
Particles Quality very high
Grass Quality very high
Soft Shadows softest

Post FX very high
Motion Blur Strength min
In-Game Depth of Field Effects on
Anisotropic Filtering x16
Ambient Occlusion high
Tesselation very high

Long shadows on
High Resolution Shadows on
High Detail Streaming While Flying on
Extended Distance Scaling ~halfway
Extended Shadows Distance on

edit: Turned shadows to Nvidia PCSS

abracadaver

I can only choose 59hz instead of 60hz in the display options. this seems to result in a stutter every second. How can I set the refresh rate to 60hz?

The game downloaded and installed a 300mb patch, then the installer closed. Now if I attempt to boot the game the GTA V boxart flashes up for a second and then nothing boots. What have I missed?
Apologies if this is a common fault I did a quick google search and didn't see anything.

I was under the impression that the game would display playstation button prompts if a DS4 was being used. Is that not the case? I'm still seeing Xbox 360 prompts and I'm using a DS4 without the Xinput wrapper enabled.

RAM is probably the reason. The game uses a lot of it. After that, you're probably page-filing from your HDD or SSD and that'll cause stuttering.

I definitely recommend at least 8GB or RAM for this game.

12GB or more if you want to stream or jump in and out of tabs.

Thanks, I'll look into swapping out one of my 2gb sticks for a 4gb and see if that helps. On a side note, my Nvidia TXAA setting is grayed out for some reason. I have a gtx 970 so I should be able to enable it. Does anyone know why?

http://cloud-2.steamusercontent.com/ugc/715286501257537055/C0846C37BA4291C6FFB8FFA2E77E7C1A144233FD/

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
Has anyone experienced problems with the anisotropic filtering?

It doesn't matter how high or low I set it, the textures turn blurry almost in front of my car with a hard edge. Seems like the filtering doesn't work at all

LilJoka

Thanks for the detailed response mate, I will give your settings a try and report back.

I am trying 1.25x DSR, All AA disabled and Particles High now. At night you cab test the effect of Very High Shafows, just get out of the car, your headlights turn off and the fps go back up. It's very taxing.

Thanks, I'll look into swapping out one of my 2gb sticks for a 4gb and see if that helps. On a side note, my Nvidia TXAA setting is grayed out for some reason. I have a gtx 970 so I should be able to enable it. Does anyone know why?

You have to turn on one of the other AA options first and then it'll let you activate the Nvidia stuff.

I think MSAA? I forget.

Dinjoralo

I've heard some people on Reddit say that switching the game to directx 10.1 can give some mad performance gains, along with possibly disabling in-game vsync and using driverside vsync.

kinn

I fired up the benchmark test thing and I got the below result. Is that what it's meant to be?! I got part of the intro with day night cycle going super fast...then Lamar talking to Franklin while his model didn't load up....and then the cops started shooting. All this during the cutscene.

http://youtu.be/_zODrQoV6II

The game crashed on me before once.

Specs

Nvidia 970
2500k not OCed yet
Up to date on drivers etc.

Dinjoralo

I fired up the benchmark test thing and I got the below result. Is that what it's meant to be?! I got part of the intro with day night cycle going super fast...then Lamar talking to Franklin while his model didn't load up....and then the cops started shooting. All this during the cutscene.

Did you complete the first mission and get to a save point?

Top Bottom