• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V - PS3 vs PS4 Comparison Video (IGN)

UrbanRats

I do agree it's mostly a comedy and shouldn't be held to the same values TLOU would (though I don't think that makes it exempt from criticisms on a storytelling level as they're clearly still attempting to tell a 30-40 hour story). Interestingly enough, I thought I'd enjoy it more because of the comedic tone, but the whole time all I wanted the game to do was shut up for a minute and let things play out like a moody heist thriller. I think I'm just over the "wacky" GTA humor and satire. I find it grating and limiting now more than anything. The characters and tone are always on the offense, constantly angry. There's no room to breathe. There's no room for believability. It feels at odds with the presentation of the game's world. (or the presentation of the naturalistic elements anyway)

i feel you.
incidentally, even though the GTAV plot doesn't go anywhere (frustratingly so, because it had some potential) i found the classic Rockstar logorrheic banter far more irritating in RDR, where it really felt out of place, in an otherwise very solid western drama.
Those rides on the horses with the characters NEVER shutting up for one second, were in serious antithesis with the stylistic nature of spaghetti westerns, an so were many of the louder Rockstar comedic reliefs.

Ataxia

Looks nice. Can't really justify double dipping though.

Online component of the game was an absolute mess on the old consoles at launch. And we didn't ever get heists. So meh.

red-dead-redemption-review-4.jpg

Decent looking for last gen. Now throw in the tech they have now and my brain will melt.
I'm ready.

lbBmtvd.png

i feel you.
incidentally, even though the GTAV plot doesn't go anywhere (frustratingly so, because it had some potential) i found the classic Rockstar logorrheic banter far more irritating in RDR, where it really felt out of place, in an otherwise very solid western drama.
Those rides on the horses with the characters NEVER shutting up for one second, were in serious antithesis with the stylistic nature of spaghetti westerns, an so were many of the louder Rockstar comedic reliefs.

I'm okay with a talky Western, but only if it's Deadwood quality. Many characters in RDR simply feel like Rockstar's typical characters brought back to 1911, just like how their Max Payne 3 characters feel like their characters brought into a neo-noir. They can't turn it off, I guess.

Hexa

Only a few more days. MCC should definitely bide the time. Not too long now.

snake.gif

It would be an interesting programming challenge to create a bot to play this game. Because at some point, you just have to lose, and thus it would have to not only get the dots which is easy, but choose paths such that it can get to the next one as well in a timely manner.

just watched this now... yup. Thats impressive, I'm buying it again. I bought it for PS3 on day one and beat it in less than a week. I traded it in right away and never touched the MP. I'm going to give the MP a shot this time. I forget most of the stuff that happened anyway and I didn't come close to 100% completion. First person with this visual upgrade should be a blast!!

IMACOMPUTA

San Andreas had better pedestrian interaction than GTA 4 or 5.

The phone hack in WD didn't get old for me, and it became especially fun in online when you and friends had ridiculous funny bios. It made the people in the game more alive, just by letting you know more about them, what they do and what their hobbies are. Made everyone seem like individuals and add richness to the world.

But thats not all i'm talking about. You had those times where you could spy on people in their homes or eavesdrop on conversations through camera or server hacking. You could bounce from cameras block to block and always find people doing something or other. Peds would crash into each other on the roads and then get out of their car to fight about it. Random theft would happen at atm machines, as well as other crimes you could decide to intervene on or not. You could steal people's money, and the game would give you context for it too if the person was rich or poor, bad or good. Its the peds that would have to call the cops on you (which you can disable through hacking) instead of you triggering a random wanted star.

And like GTA there were always those details, like people trimming hedges, playing with a soccer ball or toy helicopter, etc...
But also when it came to NPC enemies you could interact with them outside of just shooting them up. You could hack the radio in their helmets and make it blast static, or trigger explosives they have on their bodies. You could disrupt communications so they couldn't call for backup or coordinate with each other.

I just felt the level of interaction in Watch Dogs was higher, while keeping a similar level of detail.

All of that sounds way better in writing than it actually was to play. The game felt incredibly shallow. It was missing that special something that Rockstar seems to nail every time. Its obvious they pour over every detail in the worlds they create.

Acheteedo

Very impressed by the IQ in the game. Screengrabs from the Gamersyde video:

itdUpQWMnuvLR.png

iyNmkRKgZuZrt.png

Don't be fooled. The PS3/360 GTAV trailers featured incredible IQ, the final product did NOT reflect that. The game will look beautiful, but Rockstar are deceptive with IQ (unless you're going to play on PC).

San Andreas had better pedestrian interaction than GTA 4 or 5.

The phone hack in WD didn't get old for me, and it became especially fun in online when you and friends had ridiculous funny bios. It made the people in the game more alive, just by letting you know more about them, what they do and what their hobbies are. Made everyone seem like individuals and add richness to the world.

But thats not all i'm talking about. You had those times where you could spy on people in their homes or eavesdrop on conversations through camera or server hacking. You could bounce from cameras block to block and always find people doing something or other. Peds would crash into each other on the roads and then get out of their car to fight about it. Random theft would happen at atm machines, as well as other crimes you could decide to intervene on or not. You could steal people's money, and the game would give you context for it too if the person was rich or poor, bad or good. Its the peds that would have to call the cops on you (which you can disable through hacking) instead of you triggering a random wanted star.

And like GTA there were always those details, like people trimming hedges, playing with a soccer ball or toy helicopter, etc...
But also when it came to NPC enemies you could interact with them outside of just shooting them up. You could hack the radio in their helmets and make it blast static, or trigger explosives they have on their bodies. You could disrupt communications so they couldn't call for backup or coordinate with each other.

I just felt the level of interaction in Watch Dogs was higher, while keeping a similar level of detail.

This is a comedy post right? No offense to you, but I thought Watch Dogs was an abysmal game that showed how much contempt Ubisoft had for gamers treating us to that garbage.

Fjordson

re: NPC's

The CVG preview mentioned that there are a bunch of new pedestrians. Not just cosmetic-wise like people you see walking around the streets, but also more pedestrian dialogue and new unique ones that can interact with the main characters if you happen upon them in the world.

Shredderi

Is it just me or does it look like there is some parallax mapping(?) going on on the gravel on the sides of this screenshot?

9n97WFa.png

UrbanRats

I'm okay with a talky Western, but only if it's Deadwood quality. Many characters in RDR simply feel like Rockstar's typical characters brought back to 1911, just like how their Max Payne 3 characters feel like their characters brought into a neo-noir. They can't turn it off, I guess.

Well yeah Deadwood is my favorite tv show, so of course i'd be ok with that.

RDR had some genuinely good characters, dialogue and performance, drowned into a lot of R* humor that works for GTA, but felt out of place there.
Characters like Dutch or Bonnie or the Marshall, had some really fantastic moments.

However, most of the Mexico characters (i liked Luisa), Irish, the scientist at the end.. felt out of place to me.

MP3 on the other hand didn't have much good writing in the first place. :p

IMACOMPUTA

Don't be fooled. The PS3/360 GTAV trailers featured incredible IQ, the final product did NOT reflect that. The game will look beautiful, but Rockstar are deceptive with IQ (unless you're going to play on PC).

Because they were showing this version!

Jonm1010

Banned
I would be down for RDR on PC, but having played through it on 360 I am not really in a rush. In fact, I thought the game was a bit overrated, but that is just a short aside.

-

I wonder if GTA5 will have a FPS only multiplayer option.

Yeah, I'd take a new RDR over RDR HD, even RDR for PC... assuming RDR2 is for PC lol

Same. Work on a new iteration instead of wasting resources on the old version. Even though RDR was the only rockstar game I have completed from start to finish and it is one of my favorite games from last gen.

Frankly I am curious how they plan to match the most recent game without feeling like a re-tread.

viveks86

Cinematic trailers or gameplay trailers? Don't remember seeing deceptive gameplay trailers.

SliChillax

It's probably a safe bet that San Diego are working on the RDR sequel.

I'm curious what Rockstar Toronto may be working on. I know they were merged with Rockstar Vancouver after Max Payne 3 shipped.

I really want a new Midnight Club.

Frankly I am curious how they plan to match the most recent game without feeling like a re-tread.

A retread would be an utter failure considering how much of "the Western" they didn't really touch last time around, and that's before getting into world and systemic improvements. There's a ton of space for new things in that series.

Fjordson

Same. Work on a new iteration instead of wasting resources on the old version. Even though RDR was the only rockstar game I have completed from start to finish and it is one of my favorite games from last gen.

RDR is a tough act to follow, but I think they still have a lot to explore with future Red Dead games because of how late they set RDR. I mean they haven't even touched the 1800s.

Seanspeed

Banned
A retread would be an utter failure considering how much of "the Western" they didn't really touch last time around, and that's before getting into world and systemic improvements. There's a ton of space for new things in that series.
I honestly don't see it. Only so much you can do with that setting.

I think its a mistake.

I honestly don't see it. Only so much you can do with that setting.

I think its a mistake.

Glad you're not making Red Dead 3 then :p

No really, they haven't even scratched the surface of that series. The world alone can be improved so much if they really pour resources into making it truly dynamic, and introduce other substantial forces into the world (like an ongoing and persistent lawman and outlaw/gangs system). Plus hunting, crafting, the economy, bounty hunting (and other hunters), robbery, exploration and survival, seasonal changes, the gold rush, the war, farm/store/town management, AI interaction....Those were all baby steps in RDR if they were featured at all. On the narrative side there's an infinite number of directions they can go.

Honestly there's more potential for "new" with RDR3 than GTA6 where they're still, in some ways, playing catch up to San Andreas.

Seeing Trevor's hands confirms that I definitely won't be playing in first person with him.

Yeah...I hope that's a bullet hole but it is more likely ringworm. Will be swinging by Binco's in-game for gloves. lol.

I also agree on no remaster for RDR. I would hope they would rather put all efforts into a entirely new game and continue expanding GTA Online.

Warablo

It would be nice if horses were in GTA, imagine riding a horse into oncoming traffic.. They have plenty of farms and ranches, plus a horse track. Should at least be a place where we could race or rent a horse.

_woLf

Does anyone know if the content you got with the limited/collectors editions of GTAV on PS3/360 are in the PS4/Xbone versions? How do you get them if they are...?

Jedi2016

Does anyone know if the content you got with the limited/collectors editions of GTAV on PS3/360 are in the PS4/Xbone versions? How do you get them if they are...?
I imagine it's all linked through your Social Club profile. It knows pretty much everything about your gameplay, I assume most of it will carry over.

Warablo

They have said its in the game, and you should still get them for free. While others now have access to them but they have to buy them with in-game cash.

SFenton

It would be an interesting programming challenge to create a bot to play this game. Because at some point, you just have to lose, and thus it would have to not only get the dots which is easy, but choose paths such that it can get to the next one as well in a timely manner.

Hmm. You could do a recursive algorithm, but you'd have to know where the tail was at all times, even in the future, so you could avoid it. That sounds pretty fun, actually.

THIS IS INTERESTING AND I WANT TO MAKE IT

viveks86

Maybe this one? I don't know whats going on in the FPS department with this one. Is it known to have dips below 30?

Yes. It's solid (apparently) but not locked. Haven't noticed anything from the footage so far, but we haven't seen much footage yet...

Top Bottom